PDA

View Full Version : Just a little insight from a long time fan

lostaussie
11-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Playoff time is here again. What a wonderful time in the great state of Texas. Since 2003 Gilmer has been a force statewide winning a championship and loseing another. Through this time we have had our share of ups and downs. From being probably the most dominating team in the state in 2004, to dominating every message board in the state in 2006 with untrue accusations of recruiting. We have been 1 and done and we have played 5 and 6 extra games. through it all I have learned 1 thing. People ENJOY THE RIDE. Whether you play 1 game or 6...........enjoy it as long as you can. When you start to obsess it gets to no longer be fun. Make it be fun. Enjoy the atmosphere. Only 2 teams will come out victorious. Some very very good team will lose and some will lose early. Don't let it get you down. Enjoy it as far as it takes you. I have found it very soothing on several occasions, after we were knocked out. to go and see other teams play. Lots of fun to just watch a game and have nothing on the line. I hope all your teams dreams come through but only 2 will.

OldBison75
11-12-2008, 10:42 AM
I AGREE!!!!!!

There is no atmosphere like High School Playoff Football in Texas. But, as a fan, obsession can drive you crazy. Enjoy the winning, take the losing with a grain of salt, and go out and watch the excitement whenever you can. Next year will be another year for you team.

44INAROW
11-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Amen........... :)

BrahmaMom
11-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Great post--I couldn't agree with you more!

waterboy
11-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Yeah, some people are a little (or alot! lol) obsessive about their high school football team, especially in Texas. That's why I say Texas has THE best high school football period. No other state loves their high school football like us Texans do. With that being said, I agree that it is always a disappointment when the team you support doesn't make it to the big dance, or doesn't make it as far as you hoped they would. Like you said, the best cure for that dashed hope for your team is to go out and watch other teams play. It makes the withdrawal symptoms a little more tolerable for sure. I just enjoy the atmosphere of high school football........there's nothing else like it!

Old Dog
11-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Great insight lost, good message....................

Those of us who have seen our teams go to the big dance sometimes forget just how lucky we are. For most it has to be the perfect fit of coaching, timing, great players with desire and some luck. You have to look at it as a once in a lifetime opportunity and ride the heck out of it. When Burnet made their magic run in 1991, I really thought that would be it......forever. But in 02 and 03 it came again. Great ride again; it does give hope.

For you guys that support teams that have build great "traditions", my hat is off to you. I think most of you "deep down" know just how much the odds are against doing such a thing.

BrahmaMom
11-12-2008, 05:05 PM
The best thing about being a long time fan is you get to watch the tradition develop and unfold. The "fire in the belly" doesn't always remain and you go down for a few years. But it cycles back, one hopes. This is a great time of year. The memories are treasures for players and fans alike.