PDA

View Full Version : Letting a team score???????

PPSTATEBOUND
11-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Okay your up by 4......with 1:30 to go in the game......... other team has ball at your 2 first and goal.......u have no timeouts, but a offense you feel can score in under a minute to take the lead and extinguish the clock......what do you do....letem score on first play........or play defense from the 2 knowing it might take them 3 plays and a minute to score but knowing they will score........

BreckTxLonghorn
11-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by PPSTATEBOUND
Okay your up by 4......with 1:30 to go in the game......... other team has ball at your 2 first and goal.......u have no timeouts, but a offense you feel can score in under a minute to take the lead and extinguish the clock......what do you do....letem score on first play........or play defense from the 2 knowing it might them 3 plays and a minute to score but knowing they will score........

See Tech, Texas Vs Texas, University of
11/1/08

NastySlot
11-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by PPSTATEBOUND
Okay your up by 4......with 1:30 to go in the game......... other team has ball at your 2 first and goal.......u have no timeouts, but a offense you feel can score in under a minute to take the lead and extinguish the clock......what do you do....letem score on first play........or play defense from the 2 knowing it might take them 3 plays and a minute to score but knowing they will score........

let them score seen it done twice and even did it once....guess which time it didn't work out.

STANG RED
11-12-2008, 10:28 AM
You need look no further than last Friday night at Bwood. Bwood tried to allow Snyder to score late under the same circumstances as you mentioned. But Snyder was smart and just kneeled on it twice to burn clock time, then scored on 3rd down. Leaving only a few ticks left on the clock. Good idea by Bwood, but well played by Snyder.

BILLYFRED0000
11-12-2008, 10:29 AM
I think it depends on your D myself. I have seen Celina stand teams up inside the five more often than not at least in the last 15 years.

Looking4number8
11-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
You need look no further than last Friday night at Bwood. Bwood tried to allow Snyder to score late under the same circumstances as you mentioned. But Snyder was smart and just kneeled on it twice to burn clock time, then scored on 3rd down. Leaving only a few ticks left on the clock. Good idea by Bwood, but well played by Snyder.

Yep, that was the first time I have ever seen that one. Defense says, go ahead and score (twice) offense says, no thanks, and knells down at the one (twice). It was quite a chess game and worked out in Snyders favor. If they would have scored with 1:30 still on the clock, we would have had a chance and a couple of time outs left. They played it well and left us with only 30 seconds and no time outs.

RedWhiteBlue
11-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
Yep, that was the first time I have ever seen that one. Defense says, go ahead and score (twice) offense says, no thanks, and knells down at the one (twice). It was quite a chess game and worked out in Snyders favor. If they would have scored with 1:30 still on the clock, we would have had a chance and a couple of time outs left. They played it well and left us with only 30 seconds and no time outs.
NM

Looking4number8
11-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
NM

You were gonna be mean, wern't you!:devil:

Phil C
11-12-2008, 11:40 AM
In the Texas vs Texas Tech game I was wanting UT to take their time. They could have ran at least about 20 more seconds off the clock. Plus if I was the RB that scored I would have knelt down about one inch from the goal line.
You don't leave an explosive team like TT 1min30sec left especially if all they need to win is a field goal.
We should have remembered that we left Oklahoma State 30 sec. near their own goal line and they had a Hail Mary shot to win on the last play and TT is much more explosive.
Players need to be alert what to do in that situation.
Even doing all that with that good runback TT might have had time to move down and get a field goal anyway.

Old Green
11-12-2008, 01:06 PM
I think in 1991 Sinton vs Hitchcock. Hitchcock sscored against the Pirates in a planned move. Sinton came right back and ted the game up to win on penetrations.

pirate4state
11-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
I think in 1991 Sinton vs Hitchcock. Hitchcock sscored against the Pirates in a planned move. Sinton came right back and ted the game up to win on penetrations. That is correct! :) Gutsy move.

Sweetwater Red
11-12-2008, 01:39 PM

Remember what you told me at halftime of the Sweetwater/Brownood
game? We had the exact same scenario at the end of the 2nd
quarter. We scored and ya'll drove the ball down the field with
only 1:10 left one the clock and scored. Ya'll went for two and
didn't make it.

gtownfan
11-12-2008, 01:46 PM
I've heard this was a much more common practice in the good old days (prior to the current tie breaker method). Back when the tie breakers were penetrations and first downs and such.

It was pretty common to let a team score, even to tie, and then march down the field to get that needed penetration or a number of first downs.

Old Green
11-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by gtownfan
I've heard this was a much more common practice in the good old days (prior to the current tie breaker method). Back when the tie breakers were penetrations and first downs and such.

It was pretty common to let a team score, even to tie, and then march down the field to get that needed penetration or a number of first downs. That may have been the way the Sinton-Hitchcock game was played out. Hitchcock scored and tied the game on pentration and Sinton won because they had more First downs.

Is that right P4S? Anybody from Sinton know for sure. It was a very gutsy move on the part of the Sinton coach. It was all over the newspapers. VERY GUTSY MOVE.

Looking4number8
11-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Remember what you told me at halftime of the Sweetwater/Brownood
game? We had the exact same scenario at the end of the 2nd
quarter. We scored and ya'll drove the ball down the field with
only 1:10 left one the clock and scored. Ya'll went for two and
didn't make it.

Yes while I have no inside knowledge and am not sure, I felt like we backed off and let you guys score at the end of the frst half. That worked our for us except the go for two part. Still at that point it was a good move.

I think if Snyder would not have knelled and we would have been able to score, we would have gone for the win instead of the tie. Again no inside knowledge, but I do believe that to be the case.

pirate4state
11-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
That may have been the way the Sinton-Hitchcock game was played out. Hitchcock scored and tied the game on pentration and Sinton won because they had more First downs.

Is that right P4S? Anybody from Sinton know for sure. It was a very gutsy move on the part of the Sinton coach. It was all over the newspapers. VERY GUTSY MOVE.

Yep....strolling down memory lane :D

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84364&highlight=hitchcock

Old Green
11-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Yep....strolling down memory lane :D

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84364&highlight=hitchcock That's how I thought it went. Great strategy on Coach Davenports part.

RedWhiteBlue
11-12-2008, 03:55 PM
You were gonna be mean, wern't you!:devil:
As a matter of fact...... YES! No, just kidding. Actually, I just changed my mind. :D