PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Ethics Question

44 Magnum
11-12-2008, 08:34 AM
Should a coach throw a game (intentionally lose) in order to map his way into the playoffs? As in if I lose, I can keep a team that would be our district's Division I team out and place my team in Division I instead of the other district team. (Which me losing the game would knock the other team completely out of the playoffs) Going into Division I instead of Division II gives my team an easier first round opponent and probably an easier route to a State title game.

Nah, I'm not throwing the game. I'm just resting my starters.

I just love playing God by determining which district teams are going to the playoffs before Week 10 games are even played!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-12-2008, 08:45 AM
I don't think so, because that shows the kids that you aren't confident in their abilities to win every game, regardless of the opponent. If you're not confident in them, how do you expect them to be confident in themselves?

44 Magnum
11-12-2008, 08:51 AM
Hey, back off! I was only a 34 point favorite going into the game. I really thought my second string players would step up and win the game. And that 4th and 30 call I made was suppose to go the distance!

Nah! I'm just joking! I set the record straight with my team early in the week, so they knew we were giving up an outright district title to be co-champs. They were cool with it! Oh and da boys were not worried about the home winning streak we had going.

BILLYFRED0000
11-12-2008, 09:35 AM
I always believe the game is meant to be played. I have seen pro teams do this to their detriment time and again. Coaches somehow believe the kids can flip a switch and stay sharp. I don't think so.

Farmersfan
11-12-2008, 10:11 AM
What if this same team had nothing to gain from this game and the coaches played all backups and lost? Is that wrong? What if this loss cost another team in the district a playoff spot or put a team in the playoffs who wouldn't otherwise be there? Is that also wrong? These things happen all the time and it is an acceptable practice. Just because the losing team benefited from the loss doesn't make it wrong. If all the things you guys are saying were true then teams would be expected to play their starters in every single game because it is wrong to NOT go for the victory. Going into the playoffs by the best path for your teams success is smart coaching in my books. You spew all the cliches' you want but we are dealing in reality here.

Bullaholic
11-12-2008, 10:13 AM
I may be naive with this opinion, but I believe it is very hard to build and maintain a winning attitude for your team when you "manipulate" anything when it comes to a game. The players should know that their coach always takes the high road in anything when it comes to them---win or lose. The best coaches try to convey by example, 24-7 the ideals and principles that will serve young people beyond athletics in the greater arena of life.
I stil think the best definition of integrity that I ever heard was:

Integrity- Doing the right thing even when you know no one is watching.

I think this defintion could be expanded to:

Doing the right thing even when you know it is not to your benefit.

STANG RED
11-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
What if this same team had nothing to gain from this game and the coaches played all backups and lost? Is that wrong? What if this loss cost another team in the district a playoff spot or put a team in the playoffs who wouldn't otherwise be there? Is that also wrong? These things happen all the time and it is an acceptable practice. Just because the losing team benefited from the loss doesn't make it wrong. If all the things you guys are saying were true then teams would be expected to play their starters in every single game because it is wrong to NOT go for the victory. Going into the playoffs by the best path for your teams success is smart coaching in my books. You spew all the cliches' you want but we are dealing in reality here.

Yes, and those things you mention are always more important than good sportsmanship, honor, and integrity.:rolleyes:

Please tell me your only an ignorant fan, and not a coach with influence on the youth of your town.:(

RedWhiteBlue
11-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Yes, and those things you mention are always more important than good sportsmanship, honor, and integrity.:rolleyes:

Please tell me your only an ignorant fan, and not a coach with influence on the youth of your town.:(
:clap: :clap:

Rule #76
11-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by 44 Magnum
Hey, back off! I was only a 34 point favorite going into the game. I really thought my second string players would step up and win the game. And that 4th and 30 call I made was suppose to go the distance!

Nah! I'm just joking! I set the record straight with my team early in the week, so they knew we were giving up an outright district title to be co-champs. They were cool with it! Oh and da boys were not worried about the home winning streak we had going.

So basically what your telling your team is your scared of another team. As a coach you should know to be the best you have to beat the best. I would never throw a game b/c I was scared of another team. I could never convey that message to my kids, could never tell them I don't think you can beat someone. I would never back down from anyone, no matter how good they are or let my players know that I was doing that. That is just me!!

Daddy D 11
11-12-2008, 10:37 AM
What if you made it clear to your players you were trying to help them? I agree with all your statements about never backing down, but doesn't every 17-19 year old kid want to win a state championship? And if that means not facing a certain team in the second round, then so be it. If the players accepted that the coaching staff was trying to improve their chances, maybe the kids would agree with it? Who knows.

RedWhiteBlue
11-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
What if you made it clear to your players you were trying to help them? I agree with all your statements about never backing down, but doesn't every 17-19 year old kid want to win a state championship? And if that means not facing a certain team in the second round, then so be it. If the players accepted that the coaching staff was trying to improve their chances, maybe the kids would agree with it? Who knows.
Oh, I am sure they would agree. This is why you are the 'coach' and they are the 17-19 year old kid. But is it right? I'm still with Stanger on this one.

Daddy D 11
11-12-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
Oh, I am sure they would agree. This is why you are the 'coach' and they are the 17-19 year old kid. But is it right? I'm still with Stanger on this one.

True, very true. I would never do that as a coach and I do not think a coach should. I was just throwing a different angle out there..

trojan37
11-12-2008, 10:47 AM
I don't agree with throwing a game to go into a particular division. For one, I think it sends a message to the kids that you can't win in the other division and that the teams are better(which may be the case) but you never know what you're team can do until you test the waters. On the other hand, if you did it to set up a possible rematch with another team, It would have to boost the confidence of the kids on your team, because the only way this particular rematch can happen is possbily the title game, in which you would have to be very confident that they can make it that far. I still don't like how 19-3A panned out in the last week. One team did what they had to do and stays at home for the playoffs, one team "rests" their starters for the playoffs and another team gets a free ride in because of this. I don't agree.

GreenMonster
11-12-2008, 10:48 AM
I'm gonna win em all. I don't care about all those other guys.

OldBison75
11-12-2008, 10:54 AM
This senerio is most disturbing to me because the coach , and school administration that will condone "manipulating" a game to get an advantage will also "manipulate" grades, rules, and integrity of not only the athletic department, but the whole school. Teaching kids to accept defeat as okay if it improves your chances at future success is the wrong lesson. We should teach kids to be successful at whatever endeavor they participate in. And that losing dosen't make you a loser, attitude and how you respond determine that. Every person and every team should accept that you don't always win, but you never give up. In this case, the coach and kids chose to give up on the possibility of winning games in one division by manipulating the outcome to place them in what they see as a more favorable division.

I bet there are a bunch of other teams in Division 1 that took this as the ultimate insult, that this team believes they can beat the other Division 1 teams. Plus, these kids now know that their coach believe that they are not capable of beating someone. In that case, the State Championship, if they win, will be always tainted because they did not face the best in their own minds.

This is wrong and I predict will come back to haunt the coach, school, and team.

Rule #76
11-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster

Couldn't have said it better myself.

BILLYFRED0000
11-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster

That has always been Celina's approach and I could not agree more. Either we are good enough or don't deserve to be there.

pancho villa
11-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Ya'll get off your high horse!

nobogey72
11-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED

It all comes back to whether or not a coach like that RESPECTS the game of football. IMO

44 Magnum
11-12-2008, 11:25 AM
I can't believe you folks are questioning my integrity!

That Division II school that called early in the week to set up that playoff site was sure set back (but excited) though, when I told them they needed to call another team cause we would not be playing them. They thought for sure they would be one and done! I felt good giving them a little ray of hope!

My only regret is I wish I had of told my players not to text players from the team we were putting the screws to, which caused people to think we had this planned way in advance. I kind of like to keep those thing under my hat. Oh well live and learn!

eagles_victory
11-12-2008, 11:35 AM

That Division II school that called early in the week to set up that playoff site was sure set back (but excited) though, when I told them they needed to call another team cause we would not be playing them. They thought for sure they would be one and done! I felt good giving them a little ray of hope!

My only regret is I wish I had of told my players not to text players from the team we were putting the screws to, which caused people to think we had this planned way in advance. I kind of like to keep those thing under my hat. Oh well live and learn! All the people I talked to dont even want their kids playing for you after all of this. I heard the people in the community want you out so you better not lose early I hear the lines at the unemployment office are getting really long.

nobogey72
11-12-2008, 11:36 AM

My only regret is I wish I had of told my players not to text players from the team we were putting the screws to, which caused people to think we had this planned way in advance. I kind of like to keep those thing under my hat. Oh well live and learn!

You have got to be just stirring the pot. If you really are a coach and you really are being serious (which I doubt) the I wouldn't call it "questioning your integrity", I would call it flat out saying you don't have ANY. :eek:

Black_Magic
11-12-2008, 12:04 PM

My only regret is I wish I had of told my players not to text players from the team we were putting the screws to, which caused people to think we had this planned way in advance. I kind of like to keep those thing under my hat. Oh well live and learn! You cant be the coach.. No way.. you have got to be just yanking peoples chains. Win every game and let the chips fall the way they fall.

44 Magnum
11-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Man those people from that other school that got left out of the playoffs are really bashing me on another board. Sour Grapes! Why should they expect me to play my best players and win a game just so they can go to the playoffs? I'm just taking care of me and mine!

If we take that State title maybe everyone including some in my own town (must have given the points, oops!) will just forget about this little incident and I will be the HERO.

Rule #76
11-12-2008, 12:34 PM
why don't you let the kids be the heroes and quit looking for credit yourself.

Daddy D 11
11-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Rule #76
why don't you let the kids be the heroes and quit looking for credit yourself.

He's not a coach Rule #76, there's no way a coach would be saying stupid things like this on a message board, on a Wednesday morning during playoff time. Guys a joke.