PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Carter Cowboys

c-town_balla
11-11-2008, 11:21 PM
The DMN recently had a couple of write up on the '88 cowboys due to the 20 year anniversary of there then state championship.

I highly suggest reading all of these

The Grade Scandal (http://www.hsgametime.com/dfw/sharedcontent/dws/spt/highschools/leaderboard/v3/dallas/carter/stories/110908dnspocarter_ledehsgt.3ec06bf.html)

The Robberies (http://www.hsgametime.com/dfw/sharedcontent/dws/spt/highschools/leaderboard/v3/dallas/carter/stories/111008dnspocarter_lede.42ca82e.html)

Where they are now (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/111108dnspocarter_lede_sf.19e4ebfc6.html)

I also read the Q&A's with various players and look in the photo galleries....good stuff

SWMustang
11-12-2008, 12:22 AM
I still remember Evans signing his letter of intent in the jacuzzi. Sounds like they've all moved on and had as productive a life as you can with a felony on your record.

WylieBulldog92
11-12-2008, 08:04 AM
I bookmarked it because I don't have enough time to read it last night or anytime today.

PPSTATEBOUND
11-12-2008, 08:34 AM
Me neither..........they dont need any time in the sun......bunch of wasted space in my eyes.

westcoast54
11-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by PPSTATEBOUND
Me neither..........they dont need any time in the sun......bunch of wasted space in my eyes.

They were kids...they made their mistakes and they did their time. That's what's important. ALL high school athlete's should read these stories. Way to many of them are getting away with crap these days. They need to see what could happen if they don't straighten up too. In my eyes it's a very, very sad story. All that talent and they crapped it all away for an adrenaline rush. SAD!!!!

Txbroadcaster
11-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Greatest game I ever saw is still

Carter vs Marshall 1988 Quarterfinals

Carter scored with less than 30 seconds to win 22-18..there was some amazing players on both sides of the field.

BMOC
11-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

Carter scored with less than 30 seconds to win 22-18..there was some amazing players on both sides of the field.

Wasn't Priest Holmes on that Marshall Team?

kepdawg
11-12-2008, 06:34 PM

I bet a Marshall/MOJO rematch in the semis would have been fun! It'd be interesting to see how things would have played out had Carter not been in the playoffs.

trojan37
11-12-2008, 06:36 PM
There is going to be a book coming out about the 88 Carter Cowboys. That should be a good one. That team was good and way too cocky and it came back to haunt some of them.

Txbroadcaster
11-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by BMOC
Wasn't Priest Holmes on that Marshall Team?

no he was from SA..maybe he played for SA MArshall

This was Marshall in East Texas

Txbroadcaster
11-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
I bet a Marshall/MOJO rematch in the semis would have been fun! It'd be interesting to see how things would have played out had Carter not been in the playoffs.

Marshall vs Mojo..and Marshall vs Lufkin(Carter beat them the round before)

Marshall beat Lufkin in district play coming back from like a 21-0 deficit to win something like 29-27 or sometjhing like that

NastySlot
11-12-2008, 06:56 PM

jessie armstead....caught the winner..the only time i believe he line up at t.e. all year.................hey the marshall studs were odell bickham and bennie valetine.......right?

Txbroadcaster
11-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
jessie armstead....caught the winner..the only time i believe he line up at t.e. all year.................hey the marshall studs were odell bickham and bennie valetine.......right?

yep he lined up at TE...our starting LB was hurt the week before and he was screaming from sidelines that he was in, but his back up never saw it

Benny Valentine was QB...Odell Beckham was RB(one of best I ever saw..had same size and speed like a Peterson just went to wrong college)

also had some others like Stan Thomas(LSU) and Alfred Jackson(Arkansas)

Matthew328
11-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Carter kids were just that dumb kids. Kids make mistakes ALL the time, a lot of HS kids should read the story