PDA

View Full Version : Leach to Tennessee?

STANG RED
11-11-2008, 05:13 PM
I was just watching ESPN, and they were talking about coaches moving after this season. One rumor was about Mike Leach possibly going to Tennessee.
I could have seen this as a big step up a few years ago. But now that Leach has built Tech into one of the top programs in the nation, and Tennessee certainly is not anymore, this would not appear to be a step up anymore. Tenn may offer some big money though, but Leach will make $1.9mill at Tech through the next two years of his contract. Would Tenn offer more than that?
Would recruiting of some of the top athletes in the nation be easier at Tenn than at Tech? Will those players be easier to recruit to Tech now that they are one of best programs in the nation, or will it take a few more good years before that will happen?
And finally, If Leach were to leave, who would take over? Is there someone already on staff under Leach that could step up? Or would Tech need to look elsewhere?

What are yalls thoughts?

eagles_victory
11-11-2008, 05:22 PM
I think Leach likes Lubbock and with what he has done at Tech it would have to be a pretty sweet pot to get him to leave. Keep in mind everyone was saying he was going to UCLA about this time last year and that didnt happen.

One way to look at it is Crabtree and Harrell are leaving after this year maybe the program takes a step back so its a good time to get out because your not leaving a team that is loaded with talent like this years team (not to say Tech wont have talent next year because they will Potts will be a great player just not as much he will probably have some growing pains like Graham did at first)

However on the other hand when you a coach with a unique system maybe you struggle at first like Rich Rodriguez this year at Michigan. Maybe he doesnt want to go in to Rocky Top and struggle for a few years and get everyone on his back like they were on Fulmers.

cshscougar08
11-11-2008, 05:24 PM
You ask a lot of good questions. Recruiting wise, I think that Texas players that would have gone to Tech to play for Leach would go to Tennessee. At least some of them would. On the money part, yes I do believe that if Tennessee really wanted Leach, they would pay some BIG money to get him. They have some deep pockets over there in the SEC and just Southeast in general. So we'll see how this all turns out. I personally do not think that Leach is a great fit for Tennessee. I think that his quirky demeanor would rub too many people the wrong way over there. Not necessarily athletics department or university people, but fans and players. I'm sure that his character takes a bit of getting used to. I think he is perfect at Texas Tech.

Oh and UNC's Butch Davis is the leading candidate to replace Fulmer according to a Tennessee newspaper.

headhunter
11-11-2008, 05:25 PM
He needs to stay put in Lubbock, he is loved their and by taking the Tennessee job would be a step backwards.

Pick6
11-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by headhunter
He needs to stay put in Lubbock, he is loved their and by taking the Tennessee job would be a step backwards.

He may need to stay put in Lubbock, but by no means is Tennesee a step backwards from TT. Tennesee has a pretty solid tradition. TT is just starting to get one.

cshscougar08
11-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
He may need to stay put in Lubbock, but by no means is Tennesee a step backwards from TT. Tennesee has a pretty solid tradition. TT is just starting to get one.

I agree. Tech is just starting to build a fine tradition of football. If Leach does go to Tennessee, he'll be faced with about the same thing as when he got to Tech. Just a mediocre team. So in a sense, it's not a bad thing for him to leave because he's done this before. But I still think he's not a good fit.

GreenMonster
11-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Of course he leaves! He would be a moron to stay. Heck, the best thing about graduating from Tech is that you get to leave Lubbock after the ceremony. Buncha dang ol' Prairie Aggies anyways. :devil: (That's bound to get somebody stirred up!)

3afan
11-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Tennessee would be a "step up", not much doubt about that .... stadium holds twice as much, probably make twice the $

yeah right now TT is good and Tenn is avg, but thats now

Eagle 1
11-11-2008, 07:03 PM
I read last year where he had generated some NFL interest and he said he was happy in Lubbock.
I doubt he will go anywhere.
Sounds more like some wishful thinking.

Txbroadcaster
11-11-2008, 07:05 PM
I dont see Leach at a established school...I think he likes it at Tech where his quirky behaivors is not just tolerated but is loved

He goes to a place like Tenn then he IMO would be the square peg in a round hole type

BreckTxLonghorn
11-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
I read last year where he had generated some NFL interest and he said he was happy in Lubbock.
I doubt he will go anywhere.
Sounds more like some wishful thinking.

Says the hopeful Raider.

It's much easier to go to a different college program than from NCAA to NFL - Ask Saban, Petrino, Spurrier, Carroll ,etc. I wouldn't have worried about him going NFL. But I'd sure be worried about going to Tennessee. Being known as the man who brought offense back to the SEC? Leach would love to be known for that.

That being said, I think he stays. Life is too good for him there, and honestly, I think Tech matches anything that's offered to him. He's their Bearrrrrrgh (pirate pun!) Bryant if you will. Still, be worried, if only a little bit.

Eagle 1
11-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I dont see Leach at a established school...I think he likes it at Tech where his quirky behaivors is not just tolerated but is loved

He goes to a place like Tenn then he IMO would be the square peg in a round hole type
Finally something we agree on.

ivchris
11-11-2008, 07:39 PM
He'll stay in Lubbock. Tech is a good program, I don't understand why people think Tech is a "second class" school.

Daddy D 11
11-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Last year Leach went to Tech for a contract extension and they said no. That they didn't have the money and that they would talk after the season, so who knows. I heard that Leach didn't really like that. And with his best players leaving, it might not be a bad time to leave. I do agree about the square peg in a round hole though, his weird behavior is adored in Lubbock.

cameron91
11-11-2008, 07:44 PM
I hope he stays at Tech , being a longhorn fan..the big 12 south wouldn't be the same.

themsu97
11-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by ivchris
He'll stay in Lubbock. Tech is a good program, I don't understand why people think Tech is a "second class" school.

no offense, but because it is... Tennessee has one of the biggest stadiums in the nation... it has tons of money, and they have won a national title lately... plus they are in the SEC and until the last 3 years, they were a power for the SEC title and even the national title...
This is Tech's best run ever! and it may end in two weeks...

not that Leech will leave... but they will open up money coffers there that maybe only T Boone Pickens can match

Eagle 1
11-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Before the Titans came to Tennesse, the Vols were the only team the whole state had to route for at a national level.
I think that since the state of Tennesse now has an NFL team, things are not quiet the same for the Vols.
I think their last championship was in 98, and the Titans became a team in 99.
The job is probably not all its cracked up to be.

Daddy D 11
11-11-2008, 09:22 PM
The Tennessee job is better than the Tech job. More storied program, better stadium, bigger fan base, more clout in the recruiting field. That wide open offense verse an SEC defense would be fun to watch every week.

JasperDog94
11-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
The Tennessee job is better than the Tech job. More storied program, better stadium, bigger fan base, more clout in the recruiting field. That wide open offense verse an SEC defense would be fun to watch every week. :iagree: But I would hate to lose Leach in the Big 12.

wedo
11-12-2008, 12:23 AM
I think its just a matter of time before he leaves, its going to happen he is a fairly young coach not 60 or older and someone will throw a lot of money at him. Money talks and believe he will leave with the right amount of money.

lakers
11-12-2008, 12:31 AM
I dont think he is going anywhere. Tech has been good to Leach, Leach has been good to tech and the community. Plus he has a daughter going here at tech and I dont think he would up and leave while he has kids in school here.

lakers
11-12-2008, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Of course he leaves! He would be a moron to stay. Heck, the best thing about graduating from Tech is that you get to leave Lubbock after the ceremony. Buncha dang ol' Prairie Aggies anyways. :devil: (That's bound to get somebody stirred up!)

PRAIRIE AGGIES!!!

As my dad would say, "Your mouth is fixing to overload your butt!!!"

:mad:

handNthedirt
11-12-2008, 12:57 AM
leach walks to the beat of a different drummer man...I don't think he's motivated by money as much as being able to run his own program without the pressure that comes from boosters at BIG time programs such at Tennessee...guy has a full size talking skeleton and all kinds of pirate garb in his office, offensive linemen that think every saturday in the fall is halloween, a HEAVY offense year after year, and if their defense were a r&b group they'd be called Boyz2Men...FINALLY. On top of all that...only coach in ncaa with law degree....and it ain't from university of phoenix. I have a hard time seeing him leave....hell, bobby knight was a good fit in lubbock...minus choking students out.

Sweetwater96
11-12-2008, 01:04 AM
I live in Tennessee and I can tell you that everyone up here wants Leach. Everytime Tennessee loses another game, all they talk about is the next coach. They have more than enough money to give Leach whatever he wants. The fan base is huge, the stadium is one of the biggest in the nation. They play in the SEC which he would be able to recruit like crazy. This is also a very storied program.

All of the sports talk shows, etc up here, all they talk about is how aggressive Tennessee will be when they go after their next coach.

And everyone wants it to be Leach....

I guess it will be interested. I think he's done an amazing job at Tech.

Stownhorse
11-12-2008, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Pick6

:clap: starting to get one. This is just a flare up bud.

I saw this on ESPN as well. They said when they asked Leach about the Tenn. job he said he didnt want to talk about it... could that mean he just might take it?

handNthedirt
11-12-2008, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater96
They have more than enough money to give Leach whatever he wants. The fan base is huge, the stadium is one of the biggest in the nation....also a very storied program....

All true, but with all that you mention comes all the pressures from outside of the lockerroom which I think he would avoid....but....SEC + Texas recruiting grounds sounds downright nasty though man. HEAVY.

handNthedirt
11-12-2008, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
:clap: starting to get one. This is just a flare up bud.

I saw this on ESPN as well. They said when they asked Leach about the Tenn. job he said he didnt want to talk about it... could that mean he just might take it?

Hopefully it means he's just keepin to the task at hand man.

Stownhorse
11-12-2008, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
Hopefully it means he's just keepin to the task at hand man.

Then why didnt he just say that he isnt going anywhere? I hope he goes. I miss the old Tennessee.

handNthedirt
11-12-2008, 01:46 AM
why question anything the guy says...I heard him talkin one day about "...a guy takin a girl out on a date for the first time should take them to a steakhouse to eat where there is no salad and she'll be forced to eat cause girls hate eating in front of guys...and at the end of the night you can exchange email addresses or whatever you kids are into these days." ...and that is a small segment of the quote...dude went off on the logistics of a couples first date....leach is special man.

Stownhorse
11-12-2008, 01:49 AM
Ok

handNthedirt
11-12-2008, 01:57 AM
leach might've been home schooled...by genuises man...ever youtubed golf lessons with bobby knight?...classic.

Boomer
11-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Tech is good now, they got one of the best QB's in college and the best WR IMO. Tech will loose a lot just between those two. Leach will leave if Tech declines a new and better contract.

jason
11-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
why question anything the guy says...I heard him talkin one day about "...a guy takin a girl out on a date for the first time should take them to a steakhouse to eat where there is no salad and she'll be forced to eat cause girls hate eating in front of guys...and at the end of the night you can exchange email addresses or whatever you kids are into these days." ...and that is a small segment of the quote...dude went off on the logistics of a couples first date....leach is special man. i saw that, it was hilarious....

Phil C
11-12-2008, 02:55 PM
A friend of mine who used to live in Lubbock says he will stay at Texas Tech because there he is a big fish in a small pond. (Whatever that means.)

Balcones fault
11-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Its in Leach's best financial interest to play up the rumors. All Tech has to do is pay him what a top 5 program coach deserves and they'll keep him.
Tech v Tenn = Tenn in terms of history, program, etc.
SEC v Big 12 is a wash.
Recruiting? Certainly an advantage in Texas but he'll have no problems getting QB's or receivers wherever he takes his offense.
Knoxville v. Lubbock? Please. That's no contest.

And its sand aggies not prairie aggies. :)

BrahmaMom
11-12-2008, 05:16 PM
All things being equal, I think Leach would stay in Lubbock for all the afore-mentioned reasons. For Tech to say they can't ante up the cash and contract extension after what he's done for the program is disrespectful. They will need to come up with some serious cash to keep him. If your estimates of salary are accurate, or even close, he should leave if they don't offer more. He is a big time coach and deserves big time pay. It isn't easy to recruit to Lubbock and Tennessee is a highly respected program. Because Leach marches to a different drummer, he'd rather stay in Lubbock. But not if they can't make a fake at paying him reasonably. You Tech fans and alum better pull out your checkbooks!

jambo67
11-12-2008, 08:24 PM
The best reason for Leach to stay at Tech is they let him drink Vodka out of cup on the sideline. Leach aint quirky........he's tipsy.
True Story.

Eagle 1
11-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Just as Mack Brown hung around at UT,
Leach will stay at Tech.;)