PDA

View Full Version : DC steps down in Brownwood

bwdlionfan
11-11-2008, 12:04 PM
http://brownwoodbulletin.com/articles/2008/11/11/sports/doc491902604c7a0635475267.txt

Texasfootball2
11-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
http://brownwoodbulletin.com/articles/2008/11/11/sports/doc491902604c7a0635475267.txt

Asolute best of luck to Coach Copeland. He is a one of the classiest guys I've ever met, and a great role model for kids. I hope he doesn't decide to get out of coaching. :D

STANG RED
11-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Dont know the first thing about the guy, but it's obvious the Bwood defense floundered something awful this season. It may have been something as simple as youth and/or lack of talent. But even at that, you would have thought they could have been a little better than they were. A good defense would have made Bwood almost unbeatable this season. Just a little better defense would have gotten them to the playoffs most likely. Of course losing their all state LB right before the start of the season was a huge lose, and it showed right up till the end.

bwdlionfan
11-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Dont know the first thing about the guy, but it's obvious the Bwood defense floundered something awful this season. It may have been something as simple as youth and/or lack of talent. But even at that, you would have thought they could have been a little better than they were. A good defense would have made Bwood almost unbeatable this season. Just a little better defense would have gotten them to the playoffs most likely. Of course losing their all state LB right before the start of the season was a huge lose, and it showed right up till the end.

It was our all state DB, not LB, but he hits like a LB.

Trashman
11-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Really hate to see him go. He was a positive force for the entire team and will be greatly missed.:(

STANG RED
11-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
It was our all state DB, not LB, but he hits like a LB.

Has he been lighting it up at Early this season? I havent heard anything about him since before the season started.

Looking4number8
11-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Has he been lighting it up at Early this season? I havent heard anything about him since before the season started.

He got hurt big time in there 3rd game of the season. Out of football for at least 18 months. Word is he will graduate in december and go on to UT and do rehab with UT trainers. Not sure how accurate the rehab statement is, just what I heard somewhere.

clemsmarina
11-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Just wondering out loud here.....

Why in the world wouldn't they have moved some of the offensive talent to the defensive side of the ball?

I know a few played both ways, but they were predominately offense with a little defense.

A "Good" highschool head coach would do that, and lay the blame on himself for not helping his defense more. Maybe he did, but I just haven't seen it.

I have witnessed several different players go from a starting running back/wide receiver position, to totally switching to a starting DB role and not playing offense this year because it made the "Team" better.

Did any of that happen in Brownwood this year?

95mustang
11-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by clemsmarina

Why in the world wouldn't they have moved some of the offensive talent to the defensive side of the ball?

I know a few played both ways, but they were predominately offense with a little defense.

A "Good" highschool head coach would do that, and lay the blame on himself for not helping his defense more. Maybe he did, but I just haven't seen it.

I have witnessed several different players go from a starting running back/wide receiver position, to totally switching to a starting DB role and not playing offense this year because it made the "Team" better.

Did any of that happen in Brownwood this year?

Yes it did happen in Brownwood this year. Harrell was one of our outstanding receivers last year and was moved to the defensive side of the ball after the departure of our D-1 DB. HE did really well. Where we needed help was on the D-Line who were very young and undersized when they lined up against the offenses we lined up on. Our offensive line was beat up most of the year which took away from the depth there.

bwdlionfan
11-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang
Yes it did happen in Brownwood this year. Harrell was one of our outstanding receivers last year and was moved to the defensive side of the ball after the departure of our D-1 DB. HE did really well. Where we needed help was on the D-Line who were very young and undersized when they lined up against the offenses we lined up on. Our offensive line was beat up most of the year which took away from the depth there.

If you read the article about the Graham-Brownwood game, I believe from the Graham paper.... both teams did whatever they wanted to offensively against the other team's defense in the first half, but in the second half we didn't do much. It actually mentioned in the Graham paper that the coach moved some of their OL in to rotation with their DL. Not sure why we never tried that all season long. The thing about our OL being beat up all season long is partially true, yet we continued to have guys step up in to those rolls and do well. I still question why we never saw any of them rotate in on defense, but hey I'm not a coach, what do I know?

Johnny Utah
11-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Bwood has had a great tradition in football for a long long long time. Hard times. But, it may have just been that Bwood was not as good as most in their district, because I know they are well coached. Abilene Wylie can win most 4a districts people.

Bullaholic
11-11-2008, 03:50 PM
There is honor in falling on one's sword. I wish this coach the best.

ccmom
11-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Best of luck to both the coach and the Lions!:)

bobcat1
11-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
There is honor in falling on one's sword. I wish this coach the best. My sentiments exactly.:clap: :clap: :clap:

3afan
11-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
....Abilene Wylie can win most 4a districts people.

thats a stretch ......... competitive? no doubt

Eagle 1
11-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by clemsmarina

Winner Winner...chicken dinner.
I think the wrong coach stepped down.
Just my opinion.