PDA

View Full Version : District 2-3A as good as advertised..ARN article.

Sweetwater Red
11-11-2008, 11:16 AM
http://reporternews.com/news/2008/nov/10/district-2-3a-as-good-as-advertised/

District 2-3A as good as advertised
By Evan Ren
Monday, November 10, 2008

The level of pre-district hyperbole surrounding District 2-3A was staggering, and yours truly was a contributor.

But with the regular season now at a conclusion, it can be safely said that the league, in fact, lived up to its billing.

The survivors: Wylie (8-2, 5-0), Sweetwater (8-2, 4-1) and Snyder (7-3, 3-2). Left behind: Graham (3-7, 2-3), Brownwood (3-7, 1-3) and Breckenridge (1-9, 0-5).

Two quick barometers, which show how tough this league was, are offered by Snyder and Brownwood. Let's not forget that Snyder has the state's 100- and 200-meter champion, Kenneth Turner, running behind what is arguably the best 3A offensive line in West Texas. Yet the Tigers finished third?

That's a tough league.

Brownwood averaged more than 38 points per game and came within a touchdown of beating top-ranked Liberty Hill, yet finished fifth?

That's a very tough league.

"I think the fact that three of the other schools besides us and (Wylie) had a chance to make it to postseason last week shows how tough it really was," Sweetwater coach Kent Jackson said. "It's a credit to all six teams and to be one of the three that got out is a huge honor."

Snyder coach Chad Rogers described escaping into the postseason like a weight being lifted. The Tigers extended their string of postseason appearances to seven straight years with a win over Brownwood last week, but the experience of clinching it in Week 10 was something new.

"We usually have it clinched before that," Rogers said. "But that shows how tough this league was.

"Even Breckenridge ... they might of been 1-9, but that's the best 1-9 team I've seen in 20 years of coaching."

As for how far each of the district's three representatives will advance, one can't say that a lack of big-game experience will be a factor. Wylie appears to have a winnable path to the Region I Division I Final where China Spring will likely offer a large hurdle.

If Sweetwater reaches the Region I Division II Semifinals, top-ranked Liberty Hill will likely be awaiting them. If Snyder reaches the other semifinal, the Tigers would probably be squaring of with an unbeaten Bridgeport team.

As we have all learned over the years, nothing can be taken for granted once the regular comes to a close, but don't be stunned if all three of this league's representatives go at least two rounds deep.

BreckTxLonghorn
11-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Well, I guess that's a compliment for Breckenridge...

DaHop72
11-11-2008, 12:03 PM
[i] running behind what is arguably the best 3A offensive line in West Texas.
[/B] Last year maybe, but they haven't shown it this year, partly to injury and partly for other reasons.

Texasfootball2
11-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
http://reporternews.com/news/2008/nov/10/district-2-3a-as-good-as-advertised/

District 2-3A as good as advertised
By Evan Ren
Monday, November 10, 2008

The level of pre-district hyperbole surrounding District 2-3A was staggering, and yours truly was a contributor.

But with the regular season now at a conclusion, it can be safely said that the league, in fact, lived up to its billing.

The survivors: Wylie (8-2, 5-0), Sweetwater (8-2, 4-1) and Snyder (7-3, 3-2). Left behind: Graham (3-7, 2-3), Brownwood (3-7, 1-3) and Breckenridge (1-9, 0-5).

Two quick barometers, which show how tough this league was, are offered by Snyder and Brownwood. Let's not forget that Snyder has the state's 100- and 200-meter champion, Kenneth Turner, running behind what is arguably the best 3A offensive line in West Texas. Yet the Tigers finished third?

That's a tough league.

Brownwood averaged more than 38 points per game and came within a touchdown of beating top-ranked Liberty Hill, yet finished fifth?

That's a very tough league.

"I think the fact that three of the other schools besides us and (Wylie) had a chance to make it to postseason last week shows how tough it really was," Sweetwater coach Kent Jackson said. "It's a credit to all six teams and to be one of the three that got out is a huge honor."

Snyder coach Chad Rogers described escaping into the postseason like a weight being lifted. The Tigers extended their string of postseason appearances to seven straight years with a win over Brownwood last week, but the experience of clinching it in Week 10 was something new.

"We usually have it clinched before that," Rogers said. "But that shows how tough this league was.

"Even Breckenridge ... they might of been 1-9, but that's the best 1-9 team I've seen in 20 years of coaching."

As for how far each of the district's three representatives will advance, one can't say that a lack of big-game experience will be a factor. Wylie appears to have a winnable path to the Region I Division I Final where China Spring will likely offer a large hurdle.

If Sweetwater reaches the Region I Division II Semifinals, top-ranked Liberty Hill will likely be awaiting them. If Snyder reaches the other semifinal, the Tigers would probably be squaring of with an unbeaten Bridgeport team.

As we have all learned over the years, nothing can be taken for granted once the regular comes to a close, but don't be stunned if all three of this league's representatives go at least two rounds deep.

I wonder what Bennybobcat take is on this article?:thinking: