PDA

View Full Version : Coach Barbay's thoughts on the Jasper Forfeit

98Eagle
10-23-2002, 03:41 PM
Taken from the Beaumont Enterprise:
____"I feel so sorry for Coach Lauvre, his staff and Jasper's players," said Curtis Barbay, Newton's head coach. "This unfortunate situation puts a black cloud on something that should be a great thing for them - their winning the game.
____"They can change our records on paper, but the score will always be the same to me. The forfeit wil have no big effect other than that Jasper maybe won't win the district championship.
____"I think they will recover from this, and I don't think anyone will beat them the rest of the way. The only ones that can beat them are themselves.
____"We have a pretty good team, but we could play them 90 times and probably not beat them more than twice. They're bigger, faster, and stronger. They can get there (the end zone) by going inside; they can get there by going outside, and they can get there by throwing the ball.
____"I don't think there's anyone like them in 3A this year, and they're the best ball club in this part of the state, including the 4As and the 5As."

hotstuff
10-23-2002, 03:55 PM
Jasper has the 3A Division I crown rapped up. I don't believe anyone will come within 12 points in the playoffs.

<small>[ October 23, 2002, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: hotstuff ]</small>

CentralTxFan
10-23-2002, 03:55 PM
Extremely FIRST CLASS!!! Way to go Coach!

Jacket2000
10-23-2002, 04:06 PM
Barbay is a class act, but there's a pretty good 3a team in the DFW area too, and they may have something to say about a few of those comments come playoff time.
J2K

hotstuff
10-23-2002, 04:08 PM
Everman is overrated.

CentralTxFan
10-23-2002, 04:10 PM
I will be showing my stupidity here but.... how does this go on the record books now? Will it be listed as a forfeit and the score 1-0 and all the stats thrown away like it never happened? In the end, if it is done that way, doesn't that hurt the individual players? I mean if the QB, RB, WR or anyone else set some good records that night then is it oh well, so sorry? Sorry for the question. Trying to learn.

hotstuff
10-23-2002, 04:15 PM
Let's see, how do I put this........... Oh well, so sorry..... :confused:

Jacket2000
10-23-2002, 05:53 PM
hotstuff:
Everman is overrated.I beg to differ, and so would 19 other teams. I guess being in SA, it's not your fault that you haven't seen'em. But, lemmie assure you, Everman is the real deal.
J2K

Bulldog92
10-23-2002, 06:10 PM
Coach Barbay has got to be one of the classiest coaches around. He could coach my Bulldogs anytime...no disrespect to Coach Lauve. This is why I root for Newton when they're not playing us. They are every bit as good a group as Jasper is.

OldSchoolBulldog
10-23-2002, 10:56 PM
Bulldog92:
Coach Barbay has got to be one of the classiest coaches around. He could coach my Bulldogs anytime...no disrespect to Coach Lauve. This is why I root for Newton when they're not playing us. They are every bit as good a group as Jasper is.DITTO, Coach Barbay is an example of a "good sport".

SETXFBFAN
10-24-2002, 08:45 AM
AMEN

SETXFBFAN
10-24-2002, 08:47 AM
AMEN, Coach Barbay and his staff are all class acts. Everyone here in Jasper has the upmost respect for what they are doing 15 miles down the road in Newton. This is a great rivalry. It would be so great to have these two teams bring home the 3A state championships.

Reveille
10-24-2002, 08:52 AM
I would not expect anything less from Coach Barbay. He is a total class act. Good luck to the Eagles.

hotstuff
10-24-2002, 09:52 AM
Jacket2000:

hotstuff:
Everman is overrated.I beg to differ, and so would 19 other teams. I guess being in SA, it's not your fault that you haven't seen'em. But, lemmie assure you, Everman is the real deal.
J2KI've seen Everman and, yes, they're quite sound, but until you see Jasper (and there's this little thing called an automobile that transports passengers from one city to another to watch games - perhaps you've heard of it), don't judge how they'd pair up with Jasper. Newton had held some good teams scoreless before gettin' the ever-lovin' crap knocked out of 'em by Jasper despite garnering a forfeit by default.

oldbuff78
10-24-2002, 11:18 AM
Coach Barbay, what a class act!!!

horns04
10-24-2002, 12:45 PM
How can anyone say that Everman is overrated? They won state last year 15-0, they were 12-2 the year before that and are 6-1 so far this year. They may not have the size, but they make up for that in speed. Not many if any teams will be able to stop Everman's offense. If the defense get a stop here and there during a game, I dont see anyone beating them. Their offense is to much. The Kennedale game was a fluke. They came in big headed. Don't expect that to happen again.

southern_thunder
10-24-2002, 12:56 PM
Well if Everman takes care of business and Jasper I guess we will see on December 14th.

P.S. Jasper is

southern_thunder
10-24-2002, 12:57 PM
sorry hit the wrong button

Jasper is VERY BIG, and VERY FAST.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-24-2002, 01:44 PM
hahaha. Jasper is overlooking Region 4. If its burnet or sinton u wont be facing Everman. Sinton might not be putting up the points like last year, but this team overall is just as good. And if its not Sinton then Burnet would also keep ya'll from facing Everman. And as u can see im predicting Everman makes it back to the State Title game.

St. Ivender
10-24-2002, 02:59 PM
Coach Barbay is one of a kind as well as being a class act (and a heck of a fisherman). I take back all the things I said about Jasper. If he says it, consider it gospel. They ARE a friendly rival with Newton and let's keep it that way. Dogs in Division I, Eagles in Division II.

EAGLE89
10-24-2002, 05:10 PM
St. Ivender, Did you graduate from Newton in the early 80's?

EagleMama
10-24-2002, 05:19 PM
89, The Saint did graduate in the very early 80's from Newton.

EAGLE89
10-24-2002, 05:33 PM
I had an idea, my brother graduated in the early 80's and played with Anthony Byerly. I was wondering if Saint knew him. His nickname was "Bird".

twinkle
10-24-2002, 06:47 PM
I knew that he (St. Iven) must have graduated from Newton from a comment he made about burning Kirbyville's field. Newton and Jasper, now that is a friendly rivalry. Newton and Kirbyville, is probably one of the most heated rivalries in Texas. Only someone from Newton would know the significance of his comment. I graduated from Newton in the late 80s and to this day can't stand to drive through Kirbyville, lol. wink

Tiger Turtle
10-25-2002, 01:06 PM
Coach Barbay is indeed a class guy. He has lost to Sealy and beaten them in the playoffs and he did both with class and grace. Our coaching staff speaks highly of him at all times.

EAGLE89
10-25-2002, 01:11 PM
Twinkle,
What year did you graduate from Newton?