PDA

View Full Version : If Your team is out or you dont have a team how do you pick which game to go to?

eagles_victory
11-10-2008, 03:03 PM
My team Fairfield hasnt been in the playoffs in 4 seasons so I have had a lot of practice with this but what are your deciding factors on picking a game to go watch in the playoffs? Is it location of game, a matchup that really appeals to you, a game of a neighboring town or team in your district?

To me in the first round and probably second this year because of how the calendar falls the main thing I look at is location. But once it gets deeper in to the playoffs I start looking more at key matchups.

IHStangFan
11-10-2008, 03:19 PM
on one side of the scale is the location factor....on the other side is the matchup factor.....I try to weigh it out to where I'm seeing a game that is within driving distance...but at the same time....a decent game....

for example...

If I have Team A playing Team B 10 miles away...but it appears to be a VERY one sided affair.....and I have Team C playing Team D 50 miles away...but it appears to be a great matchup...I will drive the extra 40 miles.

mistanice
11-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
My team Fairfield hasnt been in the playoffs in 4 seasons so I have had a lot of practice with this but what are your deciding factors on picking a game to go watch in the playoffs? Is it location of game, a matchup that really appeals to you, a game of a neighboring town or team in your district?

To me in the first round and probably second this year because of how the calendar falls the main thing I look at is location. But once it gets deeper in to the playoffs I start looking more at key matchups.

so does this mean you'll be in Carthage on Friday to watch Diboll get killed?

Pick6
11-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Go watch teams that family is associated with. Gonna watch Pottsboro and Lindsay this week and China Spring next week.

IHStangFan
11-10-2008, 03:27 PM
I'll watch Needville -vs- Sealy on Thurs. night, and Bellville -vs- Wharton on Friday night more than likely. :)

ronwx5x
11-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
on one side of the scale is the location factor....on the other side is the matchup factor.....I try to weigh it out to where I'm seeing a game that is within driving distance...but at the same time....a decent game....

for example...

If I have Team A playing Team B 10 miles away...but it appears to be a VERY one sided affair.....and I have Team C playing Team D 50 miles away...but it appears to be a great matchup...I will drive the extra 40 miles.

I agree. I've seen some very good teams play this year. Unfortunately I've seen the scores get out of hand in some cases.

pirate4state
11-10-2008, 03:40 PM
I'll watch Needville -vs- Sealy on Thurs. night, and Bellville -vs- Wharton on Friday night more than likely. :) Cool! I'll look forward to your report.

Last year when I was traveling it was all about the match ups. I drove ridiculous distances to watch good games, but I don't think I was disappointed at all last year! I was pretty lucky.

Well, I was disappointed that WOS lost to La Vega, but it was still a good game and I was in good company. :)

My favorite games last year were: Gilmer vs. Velt; Gilmer vs. Wylie & Everman vs. WF Rider

IHStangFan
11-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Cool! I'll look forward to your report.

Last year when I was traveling it was all about the match ups. I drove ridiculous distances to watch good games, but I don't think I was disappointed at all last year! I was pretty lucky.

Well, I was disappointed that WOS lost to La Vega, but it was still a good game and I was in good company. :)

My favorite games last year were: Gilmer vs. Velt; Gilmer vs. Wylie & Everman vs. WF Rider yup...I'm hoping to get to see a few good games this playoff season before I head overseas!

Global Swarming
11-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Although my Hornets are in the playoffs, the matchup with WOS could really be a dandy. They are 2 of the top seven highest scoring teams in 3a. Should be alot of fun.

WylieBulldog92
11-10-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm betting there is a game Friday night at Shotwell, so I might attend that one.

coach
11-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
so does this mean you'll be in Carthage on Friday to watch Diboll get killed?

that or we will be in lufkin watching chapel hill

eagles_victory
11-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
so does this mean you'll be in Carthage on Friday to watch Diboll get killed? After the Carthage Diboll game I am leaning more towards going to Lufkin Saturday night because it is closer and even though I love the Buckeyes the Saturday night matchup in Lufkin appeals a little more right now. However, im so broke right now I dont know if Ill make any game.

gobbler grad
11-10-2008, 07:47 PM
I'll watch Needville -vs- Sealy on Thurs. night, and Bellville -vs- Wharton on Friday night more than likely. :)

2 good games to see...:clap:

mistanice
11-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
After the Carthage Diboll game I am leaning more towards going to Lufkin Saturday night because it is closer and even though I love the Buckeyes the Saturday night matchup in Lufkin appeals a little more right now.

Might as well make it a double header and watch Lufkin take on Klein at 2pm same day and place, grab a bite to eat and watch the night game! I will probably do this since Diboll plays Friday night. ;) ;)