PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Class 3A Playoff Brackets

WOS87
11-10-2008, 02:10 PM
I did these last year and by request here are the brackets for this year.

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/stats/3a/3AI2008bracket.gif

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/stats/3a/3AII2008abracket.gif
http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/stats/3a/3AII2008bbracket.gif

44INAROW
11-10-2008, 02:14 PM
thanks - some of us "old school" folks like the "bracket look" :D :D :D

GUNHO
11-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Now I'm confused.:doh: The UIL has Caldwell as the R24 in thier bracket and Rockdale as the W24.

Texasfootball2
11-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Right now District 5 looks really strong with all three teams easily advancing to the Area round.:D

STANG RED
11-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Shouldnt this be a sticky? Much easier to find when needed that way.
And thanks again to WOS87, as always.

WOS87
11-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by GUNHO
Now I'm confused.:doh: The UIL has Caldwell as the R24 in thier bracket and Rockdale as the W24.

I put the above together with the pairings that LH Panther Mom posted in her brackets thread at the top of the forum. But you are right that it is different on the UIL brackets so I've changed it to match what the UIL has.

Rockdale, Caldwell and Cameron finished in a 3-way tie for second and I'm not sure what tiebreak method they used to determine seeding.

Bull Butter
11-10-2008, 05:18 PM
WOS87, you never fail to amaze:clap: :clap: :clap:

One question, did you do brackets for the other classifications?

pirate4state
11-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Shouldnt this be a sticky? Much easier to find when needed that way.
And thanks again to WOS87, as always. For you maybe, but then we'd get to read "there are too many stickies" :bigcry:

Awwwww, what do I care about crybabies? :devil: :D

WylieBulldog92
11-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Wow this definitely shouldn't be stickied there is already too many

LH Panther Mom
11-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by WOS87
I put the above together with the pairings that LH Panther Mom posted in her brackets thread at the top of the forum. But you are right that it is different on the UIL brackets so I've changed it to match what the UIL has.

I'm confused. :confused: I show Rockdale as (w) and Caldwell as (r). :confused: :confused:

WOS87
11-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I'm confused. :confused: I show Rockdale as (w) and Caldwell as (r). :confused: :confused:

Where did you get that info? I originally had it like you had it but the UIL official brackets show Rockdale as (r) and Caldwell as (w)

I'd definitely like to know what it should be as WO-S would play either Rockdale or Caldwell in the 2nd round if they beat Coldspring

Caldwell beat Cameron by 21
Cameron beat Rockdale by 13
Rockdale beat Caldwell by 14

I'm assuming that if they used point differential that there has to be a maximum but since I don't know what cap they used:

Caldwell +21 - 14 = 7
Rockdale +14 - 13 = 1
Cameron +13 - 21 = -8

That would leave Caldwell as the Division II champion
and Rockdale as the Division II runnerup

LH Panther Mom
11-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Where did you get that info? I originally had it like you had it but the UIL official brackets show Rockdale as (r) and Caldwell as (w)

I'd definitely like to know what it should be as WO-S would play either Rockdale or Caldwell in the 2nd round if they beat Coldspring

Honestly, I got it from my brain. :p I had the "playoffs clinched" thread going for several days. I thought Rockdale had clinched before their week 10 game (brain fart on this lol) and that Caldwell had to beat Cameron by x-points and they'd be in, anything less or a loss and Cameron was in. Rockdale had head-to-head over Caldwell, so it made sense at the time. ;) The UIL does have Rockdale (w) and Caldwell (r). Which is why I'm still confused. :confused:

Originally posted by navscanmaster
Division 1 rep, and clinched the district championship.:clap: :clap:

As it has been posted many times already:

For Cameron to get in: Beat Caldwell, or do not lose to them by more than 13 points.
For Caldwell to get in: Beat Cameron
For Rockdale to get in: Beat Taylor, Cameron must lose by 14 points.

Head to Head so far:
Cameron 41 Rockdale 28
Rockdale 28 Caldwell 14
thread (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=88522)

WOS87
11-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Honestly, I got it from my brain. :p I had the "playoffs clinched" thread going for several days. I thought Rockdale had clinched before their week 10 game (brain fart on this lol) and that Caldwell had to beat Cameron by x-points and they'd be in, anything less or a loss and Cameron was in. Rockdale had head-to-head over Caldwell, so it made sense at the time. ;) The UIL does have Rockdale (w) and Caldwell (r). Which is why I'm still confused. :confused:

thread (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=88522)

Whoa!

In just the past 4 hours the UIL has altered their own brackets!

They now have Rockdale as winner and Caldwell as runnerup!

I guess I'll change it back

tex_male
11-10-2008, 09:16 PM
The UIL insider saw this post so they chaged it. :D

I'm assuming that if they used point differential that there has to be a maximum but since I don't know what cap they used:

Caldwell +21 - 14 = 7
Rockdale +14 - 13 = 1
Cameron +13 - 21 = -8

WTF-82
11-10-2008, 11:27 PM
Well with LIberty Hill,Bridgeport,Celina,Sweetwater and others all in Division 2 side I like Wylie Bulldogs chances to go all the way.

Stownhorse
11-11-2008, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
For you maybe, but then we'd get to read "there are too many stickies" :bigcry:

Awwwww, what do I care about crybabies? :devil: :D

We need to have something put together so that one lucky person can help be a mod for the week or something. Just so they can see just how much fun it is! haha

FormerBellvilleBrahma
11-12-2008, 12:28 PM
What about the 3rd place teams? some of the R posted are 3rd place teams?

pirate4state
11-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma

A 3rd place team could be the DI rep or the DII "runner up" (R) rep

FormerBellvilleBrahma
11-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
A 3rd place team could be the DI rep or the DII "runner up" (R) rep

By looking at this, no one can tell which team was 3rd place.

WOS87
11-12-2008, 10:42 PM
If you check out the district standings on the main statewide scoreboard page you can see which teams finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd in regards to seeding.

There are 9 District Champions in the D1 Playoffs and 19 District Champions in the D2 Playoffs

Click here ---> LINK (http://www.3adownlow.com/scores.php)

LH Panther Mom
11-12-2008, 11:54 PM
If you check out the district standings on the main statewide scoreboard page you can see which teams finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd in regards to seeding.

There are 9 District Champions in the D1 Playoffs and 19 District Champions in the D2 Playoffs

Click here ---> LINK (http://www.3adownlow.com/scores.php)
Doesn't it say "1", "2" and "3"? :D

pirate4state
11-13-2008, 12:41 AM
By looking at this, no one can tell which team was 3rd place. You should just know! Study! :)

navscanmaster
11-13-2008, 10:29 PM
You know, my guess about the Rockdale/Caldwell thing is that since the two of them got in out of the three 4-2 teams, and Rockdale beat Caldwell head to head, that makes the Tigers the DII winner.

footballfan62
11-14-2008, 12:08 AM

Caldwell +21 - 14 = 7
Rockdale +14 - 13 = 1
Cameron +13 - 21 = -8

That's what I thought too, but found out on the UIL website that district play is determined by positive points now. The formula you used ended last year. Here in the Coastal Bend, some how people were saying that if West Oso beat Sinton, Ingleside would have to beat Robstown by 8. I couldn't figure out how. This seems to be the way with a three-way tie here:

Robstown beat West Oso by 15
West Oso beat Ingleside by 7

Since Ingleside and Robstown played the last game of the season, for them to jump over West Oso, it would have to be by 8 since that's the positive points conversion was in play.

So in the case you were tasked,

Caldwell with 21
Rockdale with 14
Cameron with 13
This is why Caldwell was winner, Rockdale was runner up

WOS87
11-14-2008, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by footballfan62
That's what I thought too, but found out on the UIL website that district play is determined by positive points now. The formula you used ended last year. Here in the Coastal Bend, some how people were saying that if West Oso beat Sinton, Ingleside would have to beat Robstown by 8. I couldn't figure out how. This seems to be the way with a three-way tie here:

Robstown beat West Oso by 15
West Oso beat Ingleside by 7

Since Ingleside and Robstown played the last game of the season, for them to jump over West Oso, it would have to be by 8 since that's the positive points conversion was in play.

So in the case you were tasked,

Caldwell with 21
Rockdale with 14
Cameron with 13
This is why Caldwell was winner, Rockdale was runner up

According to the UIL though Caldwell WASN'T the winner. The winner of WO-S and Coldspring will play the District 24 runnerup and Caldwell is currently in that playoff slot.

footballfan62
11-14-2008, 12:23 AM

As far as I ever recall, they take D1 one rep out first. Then the best team is W or as I saw here C (Champ of Div II). whomever is next is R (whether 2nd or 3rd depending on who the D1 rep is).

footballfan62
11-14-2008, 12:32 AM
According to the UIL though Caldwell WASN'T the winner. The winner of WO-S and Coldspring will play the District 24 runnerup and Caldwell is currently in that playoff slot.

My theory then goes with a three-way tie is positive points to determine who's out. Wipe that team out of contention and then head-to-head for the two positions. This is the only way Rockdale could have been winner. To me, looks like positive points should be used in consistancy giving the nod for the team that is eliminated. Since Rockdale did beat Caldwell, they definitely got the nod, but I still think Caldwell should be Div II champ.

footballfan62
11-14-2008, 12:39 AM
You know, my guess about the Rockdale/Caldwell thing is that since the two of them got in out of the three 4-2 teams, and Rockdale beat Caldwell head to head, that makes the Tigers the DII winner.

This would tell me that positive points is only used for the factor of "low one out" then head-to-head takes over. That wasn't explained on the UIL web site. It just mentioned that positive points were to be used for district games. Ironically I always felt that if for a district game, run up the score anyway. You always want to prove yourself to district opponents where it counts the best. Not giving UIL any leadway, who knows, maybe it may change by average points of district wins in years to come.

footballfan62
11-14-2008, 12:42 AM
How did Yoakum get a bye, as Goliad and Cuero didn't. Did Poteet forfeit?

kepdawg
11-14-2008, 12:53 AM
How did Yoakum get a bye, as Goliad and Cuero didn't. Did Poteet forfeit?

:confused:

footballfan62
11-14-2008, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
:confused:

I am the same. UIL shows them with a Bye week. They aren't in a district that gets a bye week unless Goliad and Cuero do. Wonder if there ever was a forfeit in playoffs, and for the reason why. I have known of postponements due to an athlete's death, but never a forfeit. Then too I can't even remember the last time a forfeit was ever done (not cancellation as non-district games due to natural disasters.)

kepdawg
11-14-2008, 01:02 AM
I am the same. UIL shows them with a Bye week. They aren't in a district that gets a bye week unless Goliad and Cuero do. Wonder if there ever was a forfeit in playoffs, and for the reason why. I have known of postponements due to an athlete's death, but never a forfeit. Then too I can't even remember the last time a forfeit was ever done (not cancellation as non-district games due to natural disasters.)

Just because the UIL shows something that doesn't mean it's true!

footballfan62
11-14-2008, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Just because the UIL shows something that doesn't mean it's true!

Them and the AP service, as I have seen AP mess up many times in reporting scores. That's why I go here or a major newspaper/television site in the area for scores.

WOS87
11-14-2008, 09:48 AM
All Thursday night (11/13) bi-district scores have been added to the brackets

cshscougar08
11-14-2008, 09:56 AM
All Thursday night (11/13) bi-district scores have been added to the brackets

Carthage hasn't.

WOS87
11-14-2008, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
Carthage hasn't.

Refresh your screen or empty your browser cache. Your browser is probably just automatically loading the old images.

KngKongInDTrunk
11-14-2008, 01:02 PM

Not sure how UIL determines the winner but district 24
Went like this:
1. Nastysota: 6-0
2. Rockdale: 4-2 Lost to cameron by 13, Beat Caldwell by 14
3. Caldwell: 4-2 Beat Cameron by 21

footballfan62
11-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by KngKongInDTrunk
Not sure how UIL determines the winner but district 24
Went like this:
1. Nastysota: 6-0
2. Rockdale: 4-2 Lost to cameron by 13, Beat Caldwell by 14
3. Caldwell: 4-2 Beat Cameron by 21

Seems to me that when it's a 3-way tie, first things first. Positive points takes the worse team out of the equation.

Now it's down to two: Head to head takes over. That's why I feel that Rockdale got the winner's bracket, Caldwell got the runner-up bracket because of the Rockdale win over Caldwell. Guess that's how positive points works.

I rather have power points like it was just because it still involves all three teams through one stage.

WOS87
11-15-2008, 01:24 AM
All Friday night Bi-District game results (11/14) are now added to the brackets

Dieselsmoke
11-15-2008, 10:41 AM
All Friday night Bi-District game results (11/14) are now added to the brackets

WOS87 you do a great job at keeping us all informed, the best source of info on 3-A on the web. Thank you!!!!!

skins4life
11-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Dieselsmoke
WOS87 you do a great job at keeping us all informed, the best source of info on 3-A on the web. Thank you!!!!!

DITTO

skins4life
11-15-2008, 02:20 PM
This is probably a dumb question but, why are there so many byes now a days?

LH Panther Mom
11-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by skins4life
This is probably a dumb question but, why are there so many byes now a days?
Each region has an "empty" district this alignment, so the opposing district gets a bye the first round.

WOS87
11-15-2008, 03:22 PM
It was the UIL's answer to avoiding all of the 4-team districts 3A had in the 2004-2006 alignment. By decreasing the total number of districts to 28 (one bye in each region) they could assure that every district had at least 6 teams.

44INAROW
11-15-2008, 05:44 PM

our stat guy told me that last week when he called our results into the San Antonio newspaper - they were looking for scores from other games - he told him to check out the 3adownlow and the guy did and was amazed at the wealth of information provided on this site....... cool beans ;)

footballfan62
11-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
our stat guy told me that last week when he called our results into the San Antonio newspaper - they were looking for scores from other games - he told him to check out the 3adownlow and the guy did and was amazed at the wealth of information provided on this site....... cool beans ;)

Can't have any better source than 3A fans reporting it themselves. With that respect, I was told that Rio Hondo beat Ingleside 42-14. I told them wrong because I was at the game and it was 35-14. Even though an extra 7 points didn't mean much in the defeat, but nothing is better than true facts straight from the field itself. It's great to have 3A fans around the state to let other 3A fans know what is right. AP services sure doesn't help. Many times I have seen wrong data. I even saw one week that Falfurrias beat Aransas Pass......WRONG....it was close but Aransas Pass did win.

footballfan62
11-15-2008, 08:00 PM
It was the UIL's answer to avoiding all of the 4-team districts 3A had in the 2004-2006 alignment. By decreasing the total number of districts to 28 (one bye in each region) they could assure that every district had at least 6 teams.

Would be strange to see 3A go to a four team set per district for the playoffs. Since majority of the districts has 6 teams, 2/3rd of the schools get a playoff spot. Whoa...unless they figure a way to make 8 team districts throughout Texas (like Valley and Coastal Bend is).

skins4life
11-15-2008, 10:57 PM

Thanks for the info. I plumb forgot about only having 4 district games the last couple of years.

WOS87
11-15-2008, 11:03 PM
I can't update my brackets from where I am but the results of the 7 Saturday games are as follows:

West Orange-Stark 36
Coldspring 8
FINAL

Alvarado 27
Carrollton Ranchview 0
FINAL

Abilene Wylie 21
Lubbock Estacado 10
FINAL

Waco La Vega 42
Brownsboro 7
FINAL

La Vernia 49
Goliad 21
FINAL

Kennedale 41
Dallas Madison 39
FINAL

Chapel Hill 34
Jasper 20
FINAL

GUNHO
11-17-2008, 11:07 AM

Hey.WO-S might not have a state title in 3A...Yet:p :D but WOS87 is our champion and we are glad to share:D

87 TIGER
11-17-2008, 10:06 PM
I know this is old news and doesnt really matter now but I think it was more of negative point system like this.
Rockdale lost to Cameron by 13
Caldwell lost to Rockdale by 14
Cameron lost to Caldwell by 21

footballfan62
11-17-2008, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by 87 TIGER
Rockdale lost to Cameron by 13
Caldwell lost to Rockdale by 14
Cameron lost to Caldwell by 21

Looks like to me the ruling is "low one out first" then head-to-head, that's why Rockdale was considered the winner in Div II ahead of Caldwell or it would be the other way around.

The positive point is only used for the purpose of a three-way tie. The low one out was Cameron because of the 13 positive points to which Caldwell had 21 and Rockdale had 14.

Information is one of the new rules on the UIL website for 2008. The positive point system is what districts were to use.

WOS87
11-20-2008, 11:26 PM
Both Thursday night 2nd round games have been added to the brackets: Congrats to La Feria and Sweetwater

La Feria 31
Bandera 14
FINAL

Sweetwater 28
Midland Greenwood 14
FINAL

footballfan62
11-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Both Thursday night 2nd round games have been added to the brackets: Congrats to La Feria and Sweetwater

La Feria 31
Bandera 14
FINAL

Sweetwater 28
Midland Greenwood 14
FINAL

wow, didn't expect Le Feria to win playing a tough game against Robstown. Guess Bandera doesn't like the week off. :clap:

WOS87
11-21-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm updating 2nd round Friday night scores as fast as I can....

Feel free to post any finals that aren't already posted

footballfan62
11-21-2008, 11:55 PM
http://www.fridaynightmadness.com/game.asp?id=28206 has them all and Saturday's games.

WOS87
11-21-2008, 11:58 PM
Actually, I believe I've got them all for the Round 2 Friday games. Good luck to the teams playing tomorrow!

Only 31 teams in 3A remain alive in the playoffs as of 11pm Friday night 11/21

WOS87
11-22-2008, 11:40 PM
All Week 12 Results are now posted on the brackets

SintonFan_inAustin
11-23-2008, 12:42 AM
All Week 12 Results are now posted on the brackets i posted final as 28-16 for Bellville vs La Vernia thinking Bellville would just run out the clock with less than 30 secs to go, but they called a time out and next play ran it in for a TD.

Bellville 35 La Vernia 16 Final Score.

WOS87
11-23-2008, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
i posted final as 28-16 for Bellville vs La Vernia thinking Bellville would just run out the clock with less than 30 secs to go, but they called a time out and next play ran it in for a TD.

Bellville 35 La Vernia 16 Final Score.

Thanks, I corrected it on the brackets

WOS87
11-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Congrats to Celina as the first DII team to advance to the Quarterfinals

Celina 52
Pleasant Grove 21
FINAL

The bracket has been updated

WOS87
11-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Only 22 teams in 3A left alive now

What's with the deja vu scores today?

Last Week:

Celina 54
Kennedale 21

Giddings 41
Yoakum 27

This Week:

Celina 52
Pleasant Grove 21

Giddings 42
Rio Hondo 28

Giddings is only 1 win away from a potential 4th consecutive playoff matchup with WO-S
:devil:

Albeit, WO-S has a couple of HUGE obstacles to overcome to make it there...

WOS87
11-28-2008, 10:04 PM
We're down to 20 teams in 3A left alive

Bridgeport 31
Monahans 28
FINAL (OT)

Kaufman 21
New Boston 14
FINAL

LH Panther Mom
11-29-2008, 12:59 AM
We're down to 20 teams in 3A left alive
And 4 undefeated teams.

dachosenone
11-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Giddings is only 1 win away from a potential 4th consecutive playoff matchup with WO-S
:devil:

Albeit, WO-S has a couple of HUGE obstacles to overcome to make it there...

Bellville may have something to say about that, so both teams has some HUGE obstacles to overcome.

alaskacat
11-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Celina is one win away from a rematch with LH

WOS87
11-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Only two undefeateds left in 3A and they meet each other next week

Bridgeport 12-0 vs Liberty Hill 13-0

gobbler grad
11-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by alaskacat
Celina is one win away from a rematch with LH

that will be a great game to see..:clap:

RanchRadio
11-30-2008, 11:44 AM
any body know of a website that i can use to make brackets?

gobbler grad
12-07-2008, 04:34 PM
my brackets look nothing like those...:(

WylieBulldog92
12-07-2008, 07:30 PM
My semifinals were right, but hey the refs get to decide games so my finals weren't.

Come on
12-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
My semifinals were right, but hey the refs get to decide games so my finals weren't.

Imagine a comment like that. :rolleyes:

WylieBulldog92
12-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Come on
Imagine a comment like that. :rolleyes:
You don't have to imagine it's right in front of you.

Come on
12-09-2008, 04:30 PM
You don't have to imagine it's right in front of you.

Wylie still in it? Oh my bad they lost didn't they?:D

WylieBulldog92
12-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Wylie still in it? Oh my bad they lost didn't they?:D
I'm glad you're very creative in your comebacks, very snappy yes?

Come on
12-09-2008, 05:55 PM
I'm glad you're very creative in your comebacks, very snappy yes?

Facts are stubborn the things, enjoy the basketball season.

WylieBulldog92
12-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Facts are stubborn the things, enjoy the basketball season.
I will,I know yours won't be that great :D