PDA

View Full Version : Ok so I might be crazy but I was just thinking...

TheDOCTORdre
11-10-2008, 01:57 AM
BCS Standing
1. Alabama
2. Texas Tech
3. Texas
4. Florida
5. OU
6. USC
7. Utah

Call my senario crazy if you will but think about it...lets say
1.Tech wins out and wins the Big 12 Championship
2.Alabama wins out the regular season to lose to Florida in the SEC Championship, however...
3. Florida is upset by lets say Florida State in the regular season
4. Texas wins out
5. Tech winning out gives OU a loss thus eliminating them from the picture.
6. USC and Utah win out

I know college football is not something that can be predicted, but lets say the following scenarios happen, does this set up for a Tech/UT rematch in the National Championship game? I mean right now UT is ahead of USC, and Utah in the AP, Harris and Computer rankings, I dont see how they could leap frog Texas...and the BCS Championship game is the top 2 teams in the BCS standings, so what do you think...

Pmoney
11-10-2008, 02:26 AM
that would result in the greatest national championship game ever

bandera7
11-10-2008, 02:29 AM
I was thinking this too...
I really hope something like this happens. Either that, or we will end up with a very tricky situation in the Big 12, with a three way tie...what happens then?

coach
11-10-2008, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by bandera7
I was thinking this too...
I really hope something like this happens. Either that, or we will end up with a very tricky situation in the Big 12, with a three way tie...what happens then?

the team with the highest bcs rank gets the opportunity to play in the big 12 ship

WylieBulldog92
11-10-2008, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
BCS Standing
1. Alabama
2. Texas Tech
3. Texas
4. Florida
5. OU
6. USC
7. Utah

2.Alabama wins out the regular season to lose to Florida in the SEC Championship, however...
4. Texas wins out
6. USC and Utah win out

I know college football is not something that can be predicted, but lets say the following scenarios happen, does this set up for a Tech/UT rematch in the National Championship game? I mean right now UT is ahead of USC, and Utah in the AP, Harris and Computer rankings, I dont see how they could leap frog Texas...and the BCS Championship game is the top 2 teams in the BCS standings, so what do you think...

BCS
1. Texas Tech
2. Texas
3. USC
4. Utah
5. OU
6. Bama
7. Florida

if all those scenarios remain true, don't forget if this factors into the pollers' minds if Oregon State wins out they win the Pac-10, because like USC they only have one loss in conference and that was to Stanford who has more than one loss.

gatordaze
11-10-2008, 08:14 AM
Or this scenario:

Florida wins out
Ou wins out regular season
Mizzou wins out
Texas moves to #2 after the OU loss to Mizzou in the CCG

UF/UT National Championship- Won by Florida no doubt ;)

STANG RED
11-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
BCS Standing
1. Alabama
2. Texas Tech
3. Texas
4. Florida
5. OU
6. USC
7. Utah

4. Texas wins out
6. USC and Utah win out

Your not completely crazy Dre. I've been pondering almost this same senario for days now, and have wondered what would the BCS do? I cant see them putting both TT & UT in the NC, but it they do both end up 1 & 2, how could they keep from it?
Personally I think they'll find a way to make sure that doesnt happen. But if it somehow happens, it really needs to be played at the Cotton Bowl.

jockcity33
11-10-2008, 09:26 AM
I may be wrong but I think the BCS has a rule against two teams from the same conference playing in the NC game.

JasperDog94
11-10-2008, 09:30 AM
I don't care how much OU "might" beat Tech by. There is no way they should leap over Texas. Texas beat OU by 10 and lost to Tech on a last second score.

STANG RED
11-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by jockcity33
I may be wrong but I think the BCS has a rule against two teams from the same conference playing in the NC game.

I know they have a rule about only two teams from any conference can get into a BCS bowl. And I wouldnt doubt that you are correct about the NC game as well. Dont know that for sure though. Dumb as the BCS system is, they may have never thought about it.
But it could certainly happen in a playoff, unless they put them all in the same bracket.

gatordaze
11-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I know they have a rule about only two teams from any conference can get into a BCS bowl. And I wouldnt doubt that you are correct about the NC game as well. Dont know that for sure though. Dumb as the BCS system is, they may have never thought about it.
But it could certainly happen in a playoff, unless they put them all in the same bracket.

There is no rule that prevents it. The human voters will do whatever they can to prevent it unless the majority of the country wants to see it. 2 years ago Florida jumped Michigan to prevent a UM/OSU rematch.

The biggest difference this year is that the Big 10 is boring and and the Big 12 is exciting. I can see the country wanting to see a repeat of TT/UT.

I can also see them wanting to see Big 12 champ v. SEC champ. If is at all possible the voters will pick UF/AL v. UT/TT/OU over a rematch.

NastySlot
11-10-2008, 09:48 AM
i thought the system was in place to insure that the two highest ranked bcs teams meet in the championship..

STANG RED
11-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
i thought the system was in place to insure that the two highest ranked bcs teams meet in the championship..

Yes but it can be manipulated by the powers that be. And I'm sure they'll do all they can to make sure to get the matchup they want. It wont be TT/UT.:(
It'll probobly work itself out before then anyway. You know the BCS powers are sure hoping so, and are keeping a very close eye on it. Give them half a chance, and I'm sure we'll see some posturing toward that end after this week.;)

RMAC
11-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I don't care how much OU "might" beat Tech by. There is no way they should leap over Texas. Texas beat OU by 10 and lost to Tech on a last second score.

I think your correct, but I also don't think many of the pollsters are putting much stock in the butt-kicking the Horns gave Mizzou since they've really come up as either a) a big let-down or b) overrated from the start. That hurts them. Yeah, they'll rep the Big 12 North, but who cares about that. Half the country probably wonders why we're called the Big 12 since the only teams you hear about his year are OU, OSU, UT and Tech. The 2 tough games they've played (UT and OSU), they got beat. I think what'll happen if Tech loses to OU is OU goes to the MNC and UT goes to Arizona. But you have to remember that when boomer and the pokes get together, you can throw the records out the window. So even with a loss to Mobilhoma, Tech could still make the Big 12 Title game.

NastySlot
11-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94

your a texas fan you would say this...remember this human pollsters factor in what a team is doing at the time of the vote.....its pretty muched base on the old saying your only as good as your last game.

forum_guy
11-10-2008, 01:44 PM
if OU wins outs they should definitely jump texas...i see either tech winning out or OU winning out...

forum_guy
11-10-2008, 01:46 PM
because like someone said they vote based on how a team is playing at the end of the year also, and that would be some hot streak OU would be on...

Texasfootball2
11-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by gatordaze
There is no rule that prevents it. The human voters will do whatever they can to prevent it unless the majority of the country wants to see it. 2 years ago Florida jumped Michigan to prevent a UM/OSU rematch.

The biggest difference this year is that the Big 10 is boring and and the Big 12 is exciting. I can see the country wanting to see a repeat of TT/UT.

I can also see them wanting to see Big 12 champ v. SEC champ. If is at all possible the voters will pick UF/AL v. UT/TT/OU over a rematch.

Another difference is that Michigan lost their last game that year. If all this crapped worked out just right. Texas loss would have come in week eight, not week twelve likes Michigans was.

I personally think that who ever wins between Alabama/Florida will be in and they will play the Big 12 champion only if it is Tech, Texas, or OU (can't see Missouri getting in). If Missouri were to win then things get even more interesting.

JasperDog94
11-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by forum_guy
if OU wins outs they should definitely jump texas... Why? Texas beat OU at a neutral site by 10. Texas lost on a last second play to a top 5 team. Why would you put OU ahead of Texas?

gatordaze
11-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Another difference is that Michigan lost their last game that year. If all this crapped worked out just right. Texas loss would have come in week eight, not week twelve likes Michigans was.

I personally think that who ever wins between Alabama/Florida will be in and they will play the Big 12 champion only if it is Tech, Texas, or OU (can't see Missouri getting in). If Missouri were to win then things get even more interesting.

Maybe Tech and Alabama just need to do their jobs and nobody could argue right? If OU beats Tech and everyone else wins wins out. Who do you think is in? If Florida beats Bama should it be OU/Texas?

coach
11-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Maybe Tech and Alabama just need to do their jobs and nobody could argue right? If OU beats Tech and everyone else wins wins out. Who do you think is in? If Florida beats Bama should it be OU/Texas?

no if florida beats bama then florida will be in for sure

gatordaze
11-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by coach
no if florida beats bama then florida will be in for sure

But they lost to an unranked team. Should'nt that count against them?

BreckTxLonghorn
11-10-2008, 02:51 PM
I agree that if all goes to hell in a handbasket, pollsters will make sure their side does not allow a UT/TTU rematch (though it would be AWESOME).

However, I was thinking that OU would jump Texas sooner or later if both won out, but then I thought of this and would like to pose it to you all.

Given OU's recent BCS un-success in BCS games, would the human pollsters prefer Texas to play in a BCS game if it came down to a coin flip? OU hasn't won a BCS bowl since the 02-03 season, averaging 16 pts a loss. Much like people didn't want tOSU to play for a national championship again this year, could the same be said about OU and BCS?

coach
11-10-2008, 02:52 PM
But they lost to an unranked team. Should'nt that count against them?

just trust me on this one...if both representitives win out then the winner of the sec championship will be in the ship

Texasfootball2
11-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Here's why OU will leapfrog Texas if OU wins out. Yes, UT beat OU, but that was the first week in Oct. As of right Texas is just a few Pct. points ahead of OU. UT plays Kansas and A&M. There strength of schedule will slightly weaken. OU plays Tech, and AT Okla St. There strength of schedule will strengthen. Remember, it's not that you lose but when you lose.

"IF" Texas can beat Kansas and A&M soundly (like no contest), they may hold off OU in the human polls, but the computer doesn't consider margin of victory but the human vote may be enough to hold them off.

gatordaze
11-10-2008, 03:09 PM
I am with you but I guarantee that all of the 1 loss teams around the country will say their loss was to a better team than Ole Miss! Particulary this board and the Big 12 South team that gets left out of the CCG.

It is what it is and most want to see Big 12 champ v. SEC champ

markp08
11-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Your not completely crazy Dre. I've been pondering almost this same senario for days now, and have wondered what would the BCS do? I cant see them putting both TT & UT in the NC, but it they do both end up 1 & 2, how could they keep from it?
Personally I think they'll find a way to make sure that doesnt happen. But if it somehow happens, it really needs to be played at the Cotton Bowl.

Here's how they make sure it doesn't happen.....they approach Mack Brown right before the A&M game and pay him a couple million to throw the game. They remind him even if he loses he gets another 10+ win season and great trip back to the Holiday Bowl. Mack, being the "good" guy that he is says, "Hell yeah boys! I'll take that!" Mack will call a press conference after the loss to A&M and thank all of the Texas High School Football Coaches for making this year another great success. Mack then goes out and recruits yet another stellar class of Freshmen only to do it all over again next year!

That's the only way the BCS makes sure a TT/UT rematch doesn't happen. ;) :doh:

forum_guy
11-10-2008, 04:46 PM
lol there is no way a TT/UT matchup can happen...the winner of alabama and florida will go forsure

crzyjournalist03
11-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by forum_guy
lol there is no way a TT/UT matchup can happen...the winner of alabama and florida will go forsure

not if one of those teams loses one of their remaining games and then wins the SEC Title game.