PDA

View Full Version : Region I GOTW - Glen Rose (8-2) vs. Llano (7-3)

R1Editor
11-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Looks to be the best match up of Region I teams in the first
round of the playoffs.

Who wins and why?

87 TIGER
11-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Llano wins because I think they are the better team.

Rabid Cougar
11-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Glen Rose.

8HR
11-08-2008, 05:07 PM
I saw Llano play last night against Liberty Hill. They are a good team and will represent 8AAA very well. I believe Llano has a couple of rounds in them.

gobbler grad
11-08-2008, 06:29 PM
I'll take Llano in this one...:thinking:

bp80884
11-08-2008, 07:10 PM
I take Glen Rose. Their QB is one of the best pure QBs I have seen in High School. That boy looks like he could take nap back there because he is so comfortable.

Looking4number8
11-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Are you kidding about this game being the GOTW. What about the .... ahh just kiddin you..... you know you caught so much crap last week thought I would make you feel more at home!

WylieBulldog92
11-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
Are you kidding about this game being the GOTW. What about the .... ahh just kiddin you..... you know you caught so much crap last week thought I would make you feel more at home!
:doh:

:D

R1Editor
11-08-2008, 09:58 PM

Thank you for reminding me. I've got to add the boys and
girls basketball standings on the district pages tomorrow.:D

Sweetwater Red
11-08-2008, 10:30 PM

I agree with you 100%. I don't have any idea what this editor
is thinking. Glen Rose vs. Llano?:doh:

Sweetwater vs. Dalhart would've been a much better pick.:mad:

I say if this editor ever shows up at a M&G, we give him the
business. Are you with me?:thinking:

Looking4number8
11-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

Red, you know I always have your back.... By the way, where are you from?:nerd:

Sweetwater Red
11-08-2008, 11:44 PM
Red, you know I always have your back.... By the way, where are you from?:nerd:

Lol.

Hopefully R1 can do a better job next week. If not, I might
have to strong arm him into who he should choose as the GOTW.:thinking:

Bullaholic
11-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Got anybody who has seen either LLano or Glen Rose and would want to give us some details about either? I have got 2 weeks to wonder about them before the Bulls take one of them on in Rd2. Got to study a lot about them so I can tell the coach which plays to call.:D

LH_Tuff
11-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Got anybody who has seen either LLano or Glen Rose and would want to give us some details about either? I have got 2 weeks to wonder about them before the Bulls take one of them on in Rd2. Got to study a lot about them so I can tell the coach which plays to call.:D

I will start by saying I have not seen Glen Rose this year. I saw llano last Friday. As advertised, they run the slot-t offense. They are effective and getting better at it. Their defense is fairly solid as well. I would say that they look like LH did about 4 years ago. Good execution. I see their problem being depth. They had maybe 35 suited up for the LH game. Most players went both ways. As well, it appears that injuries are hurting them. From what I have heard, their top 2 running backs are injured. I do not know their status for the playoffs. During the LH game their middle linebacker (who to me appeared to be the the defensive leader) went out early in the 1st qtr. and never returned.

Overall, I would say that llano is a solid team that can go a couple rounds in the playoffs.

LH Panther Mom
11-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Llano is solid and they are H-U-G-E! We never have the biggest team around, especially with height, but they really made us look small.

GO JACKETS! Sting the Tigers!

booger
11-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Saw Glen Rose play and if Llano has any problem coving the pass or with spacing on the field they will be in for a LONG night. GR has a pretty solid defense and the QB is as good as advertised. It will truely be the game of opposites... run versus pass.

themsu97
11-10-2008, 01:39 PM
I have seen them both play...

Rabid Cougar
11-11-2008, 10:01 AM
I have seen Glen Rose but not Llano. If Llano runs well Glen Rose will have problems. They didn't stop our running game and their offense was put into a position of keeping up with CS offense which is a tall order. QB is huge, 6'4" and solid 230lbs with a very big arm, receivers are not blazers but catch everything.

However, I do think that Glen Rose Offense is effective and Llano will have trouble stopping them.

As I said before, Glen Rose wins

garciap77
11-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

He got it right! This editor is doing a great job! I'm glad Red is not the editor; Sweetwater Red is a homerhttp://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/AJ3FNSHCAZ9GHECCA3R6CK3CAXJ1MRUC-1.jpg and would have picked the Sweetwater/Dalhart game. And everyone knows Sweetwater is not that good!;)

R1Editor
11-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Okay. For those of you that missed the thread, I'm Sweetwater
Red.

I was having a little fun with it and probably shouldn't have. Not
on this thread anyway.

My apologies to all the fans of Glen Rose and Llano.:)

ziggy29
11-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Massey has 'em both rated almost identically in the mid-30s.

Should be an interesting contrast in styles -- two strong offenses, one by land and one by air. I would say the closest in style to Glen Rose that Llano has played this season was Bandera, and we saw what a shootout that became...

solocam
11-11-2008, 10:52 PM
LLano by 10

Rabid Cougar
11-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by ziggy29
Massey has 'em both rated almost identically in the mid-30s.

Should be an interesting contrast in styles -- two strong offenses, one by land and one by air. I would say the closest in style to Glen Rose that Llano has played this season was Bandera, and we saw what a shootout that became...

Glen Rose and Burnet are indentical.

KingRob
11-12-2008, 07:49 AM
Glen Rose gave China Spring a tough game.

Glen Rose in a rough and tough game.

Glen Rose - 33
Llano - 27

87 TIGER
11-12-2008, 09:37 AM
If the Tigers can't stop the run it will be a long night, that offense frustrates opposing offenses ball control and keeps that big QB on the bench. We played Llano the first game of the year and some of our seniors that have played LH the last two years said Llanos O line was as good if not better than LH's , no offense to LH , the hill has the whole package, defense, rbs and coach. I'll stick with Llano in this one 42-31

sandmaster
11-12-2008, 10:37 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by themsu97
I have seen them both play... [/QUOTE

having seeing both play who in your opinion is the better team. Which games did you see each team play.]

trojan37
11-12-2008, 10:56 AM
West lost to Glen Rose by only 7 with Glen Rose winning in the last minute and a half. Llano hung with Liberty Hill. :thinking: I'll have to take Llano in this one. If Llano has a decent running game they can take it to them.

BILLYFRED0000
11-12-2008, 10:58 AM
IF GR has an on night from their QB LLano has their work cut out for them. He is big and strong and can run and throw. Last year he played in the region finals and even tho we kept comin he never quit. And that says a lot cause we toasted them pretty bad. 70 21. But he nver quit. Neither did their D. They just could not stay with us last year at all. But they had all the fight and class you could want in an opponent.

Daddy D 11
11-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Llano wins. For Glen Rose, it's awfully hard to move the ball if your QB is standing on the sideline.

RPF2666
11-12-2008, 05:17 PM
I like Llano. I just can't look past the 70 pts they (Glen Rose) gave up in their last playoff game...

Bullaholic
11-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Don't know much about either team, but based on the offenses I think the stud QB and the Glen Rose offense will outscore LLano and have more of a quick-strike capability---especially if the game is close.

Budman007
11-13-2008, 12:35 PM
How in the world was a mediocre 2A Boyd team able to beat Glen Rose this season???

GrTigers6
11-13-2008, 01:30 PM
boyd played really good and glen rose came out like it was already decided. We were over confident and made a lot of mistakes fumbles dropped passes penalties every time we made a first down. It seemed like nothing we did was going to help us win. just one of those nights however we have learned from it we don't take anyone lightly.

Daddy D 11
11-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Don't know much about either team, but based on the offenses I think the stud QB and the Glen Rose offense will outscore LLano and have more of a quick-strike capability---especially if the game is close.

You obviously don't know what the Slot-T does to you, it keeps that "quick striking" offense off the field:)

LHexPlayer
11-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
You obviously don't know what the Slot-T does to you, it keeps that "quick striking" offense off the field:)

True but the Slot T can also be a quick striking offense. And if that happens it becomes a shootout. Not sure that would benefit Llano. Good luck Llano. Represent our district well.

Bullaholic
11-13-2008, 05:48 PM

O.k. Daddy---Which one do you think travels faster and takes less time--a ball traveling through the air for a play usually 10 yards or better, or a player running for 4 or 5 at a time and maybe 20yds at the most? Do teams that are behind with not much time left generally try to throw the ball or do they try to run it? The old theory of keeping the ball away from a spread offense works to a point, but breaks down if you have a really good passing team that can move the ball at will thru the air ---I promise they will score quicker than the running team. The fallacy of your argument is that you assume that good passing teams will not execute their passing plays consistently for a high % of the time and not be able to run when they need to, and the rushing team always will always move the ball and score.

Central Point--If I am ahead, I want to be a rushing team, if I am behind I want to be a passing team.

LH Panther Mom
11-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by LHexPlayer
True but the Slot T can also be a quick striking offense.
Shhhhhh! :p

Good luck Llano. Represent our district well.
Yes! GO JACKETS! :cheerl: :cheerl:

Rabid Cougar
11-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Glen Rose has seen the Slot T . They are well aware it is a quick strike offense.

lsimm1413
11-13-2008, 08:09 PM
I have seen Glen Rose play and think that they will be able to move the ball very effectively on Llano. They put up over 450 yards on China Springs defense and I doubt Llano's defense is as strong as theirs. Their receivers are deceivingly fast and can catch everything thrown their way. I think Llano will be in for a long night. Good luck to both teams.

Super_R
11-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Shhhhhh!

There aint many that haven't heard of the Slot-T by now. Vance and Company have made it pretty famous lately. There isn't a place on the field that LH hasn't scored from.

Quick strike...it can be...3 yards and a cloud of dust...it usually is.

A wise man once said, "If you throw the ball 3 things can happen...and 2 of them are bad"

I almost forgot. I think Llano runs away with the win.

Daddy D 11
11-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
Glen Rose has seen the Slot T . They are well aware it is a quick strike offense.

Who did they see it from? :thinking:

trojan37
11-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Who did they see it from? :thinking:

Supposedly China Spring.:hand:

Daddy D 11
11-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
Supposedly China Spring.:hand:
At-least you and me agree. China don't run no Slot-T.

GrTigers6
11-13-2008, 10:07 PM
yes they do. maybe not every play but they do.

LHexPlayer
11-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
yes they do. maybe not every play but they do.

They run some Slot T plays. But they do not run the full on slot T. They have attempted 188 passes and only rushed for 1383 yards. That is not the nasty slot. Part of the slot is the pounding a slot t team gives everyplay. With smashmouth football. Not saying China Spring is soft but they pass a lot.

GrTigers6
11-13-2008, 10:40 PM
yes thats what makes them more dangerous. You don't know what they will do from that formation. A quick handoff up the middle or a quick pass , both could go for multiple yards and or td's

bp80884
11-13-2008, 10:40 PM
At-least you and me agree. China don't run no Slot-T.

CS started running the slot-t against Mexia. Since then, they have balanced out their attack and run it about 40% of the time.

trojan37
11-13-2008, 11:21 PM
They run some Slot T plays. But they do not run the full on slot T. They have attempted 188 passes and only rushed for 1383 yards. That is not the nasty slot. Part of the slot is the pounding a slot t team gives everyplay. With smashmouth football. Not saying China Spring is soft but they pass a lot.

LH reminds me of the old school football I grew up watching. It's going to be interesting to watch.

Rabid Cougar
11-14-2008, 12:16 AM

AND pass out of the "t"

ziggy29
11-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Jackets win 33-21.

It was a tough and well-deserved win, but the credit goes to the ability of the Slot-T to chew up first downs and clock.

And a couple of big plays by the defense and special teams which allowed the offense to control the time of possession.

Llano probably had the ball for at least 35 of the 48 minutes in the game. But the Tigers fumbled after one drive and the Jackets just pounded first down after first down with the Slot-T almost every time they had the ball. Once they get the 19-0 halftime lead, the most important thing they could do was make sure they burned a LOT of clock (and hopefully score) when they got the ball -- and they did.

But WOW. In the second half, when GR got the ball, they marched down with the passing game like a hot knife through butter, scoring on very short and quick drives through the air. That kept them close, but it also meant their defense spent almost all game on the field, which plays into the Slot-T perfectly: tired defense, more first downs, more clock burning...

And ultimately, that's what it was: Other than the turnovers and special teams differentials which favored Llano, once the Jackets got a nice lead the best thing they could do was keep the GR defense on the field and burn them out (along with the clock).

Daddy D 11
11-14-2008, 11:37 PM
Slot-T:clap:

GrTigers6
11-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Yeah and we killed ourselves in the first half with penalties on first downs and the two drives that we had yall stopped but were offsides. and a few dropped passes when we were going against the wind. That is one disadvantage to the spread offense. Gusty winds! I would like to say though Llano did a great job in execution and deserved to win, look out bulls. Oh and what ever you used to grease up your running backs i would keep using it lol Slippery little suckers!:)

GrTigers6
11-15-2008, 08:56 AM
One more thing that was probably the classiest bunch of kids we have played against. even though there was a battle for every yard they just got up and patted the helmet of the one who just pounded them.Good luck in area on beyond.

RPF2666
11-15-2008, 09:03 AM
That darn wind! Who would've thought a cold front might blow in in mid-November!

Glen Rose is a good team with some talented kids, but if you HAVE TO THROW to win, you might run into some weather issues during the second season....

RPF2666
11-15-2008, 09:05 AM
No disrespect intended...we faced a team tonight with a similar attack, and they made our defense look pretty bad at times, but
we knew they HAD TO throw to have a chance and we stopped them enough to keep it from happening....

ziggy29
11-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Yeah and we killed ourselves in the first half with penalties on first downs and the two drives that we had yall stopped but were offsides. and a few dropped passes when we were going against the wind. That is one disadvantage to the spread offense. Gusty winds! I would like to say though Llano did a great job in execution and deserved to win, look out bulls. Oh and what ever you used to grease up your running backs i would keep using it lol Slippery little suckers!:)
We absolutely could NOT stop you guys in the second half -- whenever you touched the ball you scored in 3-4 plays...

Fortunately for Llano, between the first half penalties and that the Jackets built up a three-score lead, the only reason that didn't go down was because they continued to be able to score on what must have been an exhausted defense (on the field almost all night) and chew up the clock in the second half.

And yeah, when I was looking at the 20-30 MPH winds last night, I was thinking to myself that that had to favor the team that likes to run over the team that likes to pass...

Bullaholic
11-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Congrats to Llano for the win, we look forward to playing them in Stephenville.

Congrats to Glen Rose for a great season.

solocam
11-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Congrats Jackets