PDA

View Full Version : Cuero vs Somerset

headhunter
11-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Division I
Region IV
Round 1 match-up

Heard this game will be played at Farris stadium in San Antonio, TX. 7:30PM on Friday

Your thoughts?

HM33
11-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Bummer, I want them to play in San Marcos or Seguin

pirate4state
11-08-2008, 05:44 PM
Does anyone know what kind of offense Somerset runs? I just can't believe that they would pose a threat to Cuero. Sorry. Cuero might very well be able to step off the bus and win this game on intimidation alone! :eek:

Cuero 41 (they miss an xp)
Somerset 7

gobbler grad
11-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Cuero by several touchdowns...:clap:

sotex
11-08-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm not sure what offense Somerset runs. I do know their QB is 6'4 and is the granson of Sonny Detmer. They also have a TE who is 6'3 and two receivers who are brothers who are 6'3 and 6'4. However I do not think they have much of a chance against a team like Cuero.
Cuero 49
Somerset 14

headhunter
11-08-2008, 06:58 PM
I think Coach Reeves coached Ty Detmer (former Hiesman trophy winner) in high school. I believe he was the quarterback or running backs coach back then. Not for sure maybe someone can confirm this.

I believe Somerset has a balanced attack. I have heard they do have some decent receivers. I'll do some research and see what I can come up with.

hsfootballfan
11-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Somerset's QB is Sonny Detmer's grandson; Ty and Coy Detmer's nephew. He's a sophomore, something like 6'3" and 200lbs. He's had a great year. The older Hillyer brother is 6'4" and is a very good receiver. Earlier this season the SA Express-News did a story on the SA area's best passing duos in all classifications, and Dorman and Hillyer were one of the top 5 (So were Bandera's Hubble and Hicks)

When Somerset played La Vernia a couple weeks ago, LV pretty much shut Dormer down. I believe he was sacked something like nine times. I think it's going to be the same story with Cuero. Cuero is too big and too fast for Somerset in my opinion.

Good Luck to the Gobblers and the Bulldogs. Even though I believe Cuero is going to put up some huge numbers against Somerset, I'm still curious to see how this one shakes out.

Boomer
11-08-2008, 08:26 PM
No excuses Gobbler fans, we need to see some Gobbler spirit. Paint your faces, rest your voice, and dig out your noise makers, its time to make lots of noise!! The last five games have been blowouts, but we are in the playoffs now. Lets get rowdy like if we were in the state title game! Let's show SA some Gobbler spirit. Most of all, lets show our gobblers how proud we are of them.

Stay focused Gobblers, one game at a time.

martwayne
11-08-2008, 08:31 PM
i thought i heard that the cuero coach threw the game last nite just so he could be in division I and not II where liberty hill went

SintonFan_inAustin
11-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Boomer

Stay focused Gobblers, one game at a time. if they stay focus, it'll be another good offensive output for the Gobblers, if unfocus they should still win but not as pretty as it should.

Cuero 49 Somerset 7

44INAROW
11-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by martwayne
i thought i heard that the cuero coach threw the game last nite just so he could be in division I and not II where liberty hill went

huh?

headhunter
11-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Yea he THREW it, I think Arndt had about 200 yards passing, they also ran it, I think Jackson ran for over 300 yards.

They are going D1 no matter what.

gobbler grad
11-08-2008, 09:48 PM
we have very much respect for LH...I hope they kick everyone's butt...but Cuero is looking to play for somebody else, maybe Navasota...:thinking: ...who knows:stirpot:

just gotta keep winning and see what happens...

only time will tell:D :D :D

martwayne
11-08-2008, 09:49 PM
thats my bad la vega coach threw their game so they had a chance to play cuero,navasota and china spring not all of us but they didn't want to play liberty hill is the real problem so who ever gets them first beat them bad

SintonFan_inAustin
11-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by martwayne
thats my bad la vega coach threw their game so they had a chance to play cuero,navasota and china spring not all of us but they didn't want to play liberty hill is the real problem so who ever gets them first beat them bad some fans really take it up a notch to stir the pot :D , i doubt any coach would do that so that to me is most likely dog poop, maybe he rested players and got taken as throwing a game?

gobbler grad
11-08-2008, 09:54 PM
I would like to us play anybody that we haven't played before...regardless of the outcome, but it's just a different team...even La Vega, if it comes down to it...
we will play some new teams in Reg.4 this year, which should make it interesting...

headhunter
11-08-2008, 09:56 PM
I think Cuero would play Sealy and Bandera.
Both we have played before, but we have never beaten Sealy in the playoffs. Should Robstown be their that would be a team we have not played in a real long time.

martwayne
11-08-2008, 09:58 PM
thats what i'm talking bout i'd like to see some navasota vs cuero

headhunter
11-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Yes, that would be a great match-up.

But lets both take care of business before we debate that.

martwayne
11-08-2008, 10:01 PM
you bet

Boomer
11-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Anyone from Somerset on here? I would like to hear your pre-game thoughts.

IHStangFan
11-10-2008, 04:17 PM
GO GOBBLERS!!! I know you will represent Reg. IV well!!

underware
11-10-2008, 04:48 PM
I take my neighbors from Cuero, easily. They have a great team and fans.

44INAROW
11-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by underware
I take my neighbors from Cuero, easily. They have a great team and fans.

Back atcha Underware :)

By the way - Headhunter - I hear quite a few of the Gobblers have "gone blonde" Have you heard this? ;)

CHSVARSITYDAD
11-10-2008, 05:09 PM
You ought to see my son, everyone with dark hair it turned kinda orange,but Logan's looks like snow!

HM33
11-10-2008, 06:44 PM
oh no...... not the SLC thing.... we are even the same colors!!!! If anything.... do the Mohawk or even better yet... the Bazz

CHSfan
11-10-2008, 07:10 PM
yes the hair is terrible! all the seniors and some others did it 1st but everyone else on varsity is supposed to shave it or dye it! all the natural brunettes look terrible it has an orange tint

2-ONES
11-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Man I wish Cuero would have went Div.2, would have made things a lot more interesting.

HM33
11-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by CHSVARSITYDAD
You ought to see my son, everyone with dark hair it turned kinda orange,but Logan's looks like snow!

Well my little bro told my mom but said he had a surprise for my dad and well I spoiled the surprise cuz I read it on here lol.

Boomer
11-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Thats funny!! Did all the players dye their hair?

44INAROW
11-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Thats funny!! Did all the players dye their hair?

alot of them did - not sure if all did though.. I'm going to try and make the pep rally on Thursday - hope to get a picture ;)

Old Green
11-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
alot of them did - not sure if all did though.. I'm going to try and make the pep rally on Thursday - hope to get a picture ;)

what time is the pep rally?

44INAROW
11-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
what time is the pep rally?
I believe at 6:30 in the girls gym - I have the email at the office - I'll let you know if it's not at 6:30

CueroDad08
11-10-2008, 10:26 PM
No excuses Gobbler fans, we need to see some Gobbler spirit. Paint your faces, rest your voice, and dig out your noise makers, its time to make lots of noise!! The last five games have been blowouts, but we are in the playoffs now. Lets get rowdy like if we were in the state title game! Let's show SA some Gobbler spirit. Most of all, lets show our gobblers how proud we are of them.

Stay focused Gobblers, one game at a time.

Dont plan on Noise makers in this one. Not aloud there.

HM33
11-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by CueroDad08
Dont plan on Noise makers in this one. Not aloud there.

Yeah, I didn't like that field at all. Its nice but didn't like them being tards.

CueroDad08
11-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by HM33
Yeah, I didn't like that field at all. Its nice but didn't like them being tards.

Agree
Nice field, But dont dair walk along the rails to far or use anything to make noise. cops will sworm on you. Kinda took the highschool part of trying to have fun out for all the kids and fans.

sinton66
11-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Aw, you guys don't need no stinkin' noisemakers. :D Go get 'em Gobblers!

headhunter
11-10-2008, 11:42 PM
I'm guessing yall are saying that the team all colored their hair blonde.

I personally love it. Another type of way for the team to bond, and also whatever they have done in the past 4 or 5 years hasn't seemed to help them win it all, (maybe Reeves needs to color his as well) so why not change it up a little. I think its pretty cool when the entire team gets together and does things like this.

Oh and my opinions on the game! Cuero better not take Somerset likely, (I don't think they will) We all know Somerset is going to play their best game they have played all year. It's the playoffs, time to turn up the intensity on defense and lay some big time hits. Be confident, humble, a little cocky, and be ready to execute. Somerset has two good receivers, the defense needs to take it upon themselves to get to the quarterback and not allow him to be comfortable the entire night. Defense needs to get a SHUTOUT. As for the offense, Lets see everyone get involved, Pargman and Jackson should be a great duo in the backfield. Pargman will probably be used as the A back (catch some balls out of the backfield and be used in the slot) Lets use Boothe, Harryman, Glover, Johnson, Green, Armstrong and the TE's. So many weapons!!!! It's the playoffs, we have to not be so predictable, (thats what got us in the past) change up our tendencies and give those defensive coordinators hell. I feel good about this team. Their isn't really one standout athlete, they can all hurt you.

I want to see our defense make a statement and prove they have a shutdown type offense, thats what got Cuero to state in 1998 and 2004. Go make it happen Gobblers!!!!

headhunter
11-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Oh and yes the stadium is not one of my favorites. Just to many stupid rules.

I assume Seguin or San Marcos was taken or either Somerset won the flip and got to choose. Is Cuero home?

44INAROW
11-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by headhunter
Oh and yes the stadium is not one of my favorites. Just to many stupid rules.

I assume Seguin or San Marcos was taken or either Somerset won the flip and got to choose. Is Cuero home?

yes - Cuero is the home team. I can't wait to see the boys with their "new hairdo" I think it's great they did this - good for them to do something as a group - That's what has always impressed me with this group of boys - they bond well together:)

IHStangFan
11-11-2008, 12:27 AM
yes - Cuero is the home team. I can't wait to see the boys with their "new hairdo" I think it's great they did this - good for them to do something as a group - That's what has always impressed me with this group of boys - they bond well together:) I think I'll wear my Cuero shirt and my Needville hat this week come game time :)

Boomer
11-11-2008, 04:23 PM
We were not allowed noise makers when we played Llano, but against Hutto, they allowed us to bring them. I remember taking a few myself there. But your right, they are strict. i don't know what they are going to allow at this one.

Your right headhunter! Lets use all our weapons. Both of us have been saying this all year! Lets do something a little different. Somerset will come out on fire and it is Cuero's job to put it out quickly. HIT EM HARD!!! Don't take anyone lightly Gobblers. Treat every game like it's your last!! I'm fired up!! I wanna hear some noise at this one!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

sinton66
11-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
I think I'll wear my Cuero shirt and my Needville hat this week come game time :)

Ohhhh! Ambidextrous, huh?:D

KingRob
11-12-2008, 07:26 AM
Sure do wish I could be at this one. I would have some mexican food on the riverwalk, and then head to the game! Wishful thinking.

Cuero will be fired up and blond! The Gobblers will run away with it.

Survey says:

Cuero - 48
Somerset - 14

LET'S GO CUERO!!!
:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

gobblergrangran
11-13-2008, 04:16 PM
I sure would like to see all our coaches with GREEN hair

44INAROW
11-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by gobblergrangran
I sure would like to see all our coaches with GREEN hair
now that's funny GranGran.... :clap: :clap: :clap:

JT44
11-14-2008, 12:09 PM
So does anyone know what to expect from Somerset? The QB comes from a family of QB's, so are we gonna see alot of throwing?

STAggie
11-14-2008, 12:14 PM
Good luck to both teams tonite. But I am going to have to root a little harder for Cuero. You guys have always been one of Sealy's biggest out of district rivals and I really hope to see you guys next round.

hsfootballfan
11-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by JT44
So does anyone know what to expect from Somerset? The QB comes from a family of QB's, so are we gonna see alot of throwing?

You're going to see a lot of attempts to throw :D. I think the mean green defense is going to pretty much shut the passing game down, and the Bulldog running game leaves a lot to be desired from what I hear. They are definitely a passing team. I think the only way Somerset is going to be able to score against Cuero is on big plays. I don't see them being able to sustain any long drives against the Gobblers' defense.

LHexPlayer
11-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Good Luck Cuero. Hope to watch you guys at some point this playoff season. Go Mean Green

rojosgirl
11-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Hey JT44 - I think we can expect a lot of passing from this kid!
(Maybe there won't be a lot of catching! LOL)

LH Panther Mom
11-14-2008, 01:53 PM
GO MEAN GREEN!

44INAROW
11-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
GO MEAN GREEN!
or as LHPD says...........MORE GREEN BEANS :D

LH Panther Mom
11-14-2008, 02:06 PM
or as LHPD says...........MORE GREEN BEANS :D
Hahahaha! :D

Gobbler Fan
11-14-2008, 02:35 PM
What is the easiest route ....going thru Lavernia then taking the 1604 loop or going the Gonzales Seguin route ?

gobbler grad
11-14-2008, 03:00 PM
LaVernia route is good ...:thinking:

The Kracken
11-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Cuero takes opening kick offstarts from there own 10

The Kracken
11-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Touchdown Gobblers

44INAROW
11-14-2008, 08:39 PM
it was a 43 yard TD run for Trent Jackson.. 6 plays on the drive....

Kracken - did they say Rangnow doing the PAT? Maybe I misunderstood them...... certainly they meant Jake Moeller.....

either way - must have been little to the right and no good.......

Gobblers 6
Somerset 0

Keep it up Gobblers :clap: :clap:

The Kracken
11-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Touchdown Gobblers score now 14 - 0 toward the end of the 1st quarter

The Kracken
11-14-2008, 08:55 PM
I heard Rangnow, but Moeller is kicking off

44INAROW
11-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by The Kracken
I heard Rangnow, but Moeller is kicking off

they might have just got the "jakes" mixed up......

Trent has 109 yards

The Kracken
11-14-2008, 09:01 PM
getting close to Robert's record now, and I didn't think that would ever happen

44INAROW
11-14-2008, 09:05 PM
getting close to Robert's record now, and I didn't think that would ever happen
not sure how many he has now - but with the 109 - he was 72 shy of Robert's record....... amazing..... he's the 1st to offer credit to his offensive lineman. Sure sounds good to hear Cole Pargmann's name being mentioned too.

Somerset takes over on downs...... sounds like the wind is giving the passing game fits....

44INAROW
11-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Touchdown Gobblers - Cole Pargmann takes it in...... Way to go Cole - we're so glad you're back and healthy (he's been out since the 1st game against Beeville)

Cuero 21
Somerset 0

few mins left in the 2nd quarter

44INAROW
11-14-2008, 09:26 PM
Touchdown Gobblers - Arndt pass to James Olsovsky - 20 mins left in the 1st half.......

Gobblers 27
Somerset 0

Great 1st half Gobblers - don't let up........ Keep it up:clap:

Tiger Turtle
11-14-2008, 09:34 PM
Sounds like the Gooblers are really focused on winning the honor of playing the legendary Sealy Tigers in the second round.

garciap77
11-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Tiger Turtle
Sounds like the Gooblers are really focused on winning the honor of playing the legendary Sealy Tigers in the second round.

And the Wylie Bulldogs in the final! ;) Go Cuero!:clap:

44INAROW
11-14-2008, 09:48 PM
1st half stats

Cuero
1st downs - 13
rushing - 21 for 167 yards (avg. 8 yards per carry)
passing - 6 of 11 for 79 yards (no int)
punts 0
fumbles 1
Cuero total yards from scrimmage 246

Somerset
1st downs 1
rushing - 11 for minus 30 yards
passing - 4 of 9 for 29 yards
punts 4 with a 29 yard average
Somerset total yards from scrimmage minus 1

Keep it up Gobblers- 24 minutes of football left to be played ;)

44INAROW
11-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Tiger Turtle
We have alot of football left tonight, but assuming Cuero wins tonight - we will be playing the Sealy Tiggers next week.... wonder where that game would be played? Victoria Memorial maybe?

The Kracken
11-14-2008, 09:51 PM
if we were to play Sealy, wondering where the game would be played

The Kracken
11-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Guess I'm a lillte slow

44INAROW
11-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Guess I'm a lillte slow
you think you're slow - you should have seen me trying to write those stats down without my glasses on....... Jeez - this getting old sucks :D

Necks_Fan
11-14-2008, 09:59 PM
if we were to play Sealy, wondering where the game would be played I hope it's in Victoria..... because I could make that one.

Maybe SA?

I hope not though.

Any more big stadiums between the two towns?

44INAROW
11-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
I hope it's in Victoria..... because I could make that one.

Maybe SA?

I hope not though.

Any more big stadiums between the two towns?

San Antonio makes no sense at all...... I'd bet either Victoria Memorial or El Campo maybe?

The Kracken
11-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Real glad that Pargman is back, but Johnson is running good tonight

44INAROW
11-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Real glad that Pargman is back, but Johnson is running good tonight
yep -
I am so glad Cole is able to play - I know he was so dissapointed when he got hurt - glad he got healed in time to play :)

Glad to see them all getting to play...... spread the talent :)

Touchdown Gobblers.........

Gobblers 33
Somerset 0

Keep it up Gobblers 5:59 in the 3rd

44INAROW
11-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Somerset had a nice little drive going, then had a personal foul - backed them up 15 yards............4th and nine for Somerset...... Armstrong did a great job defending the pass on the 6'8" WR - Cuero takes over on downs..........Armstrong takes the ball to the 48 yard line for the 1st down on a nice reverse play........the announcers said some of the Somerset players are "losing their cool" guess the tempers are taking over their better judgement.. The refs are having a little conference with the coach right now -

44INAROW
11-14-2008, 10:25 PM
1st and goal for the Gobblers - 11:40 left in the 4th quarter......

Touchdown Gobblers - #30 Troy Ruiz opened up the line and Cole Pargman ran it in for the TD...

PAT is good........... Cuero 40 Somerset 0

Keep it up Gobblers :clap:

44INAROW
11-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Somerset QB throws a nice pass to the WR and he caught it and got about to the 30 yard line.......9:23 left in the game

Somerset scores........ goes for 2......... got over the goal line but lots of yellow flags on the field.............. 7:43 left in the 4th quarter..........

PAT's good

Cuero 40
Somerset 8

Nice drive by the Bulldogs...........80 yard drive

Gobblers expecting the onside kick - have the "hands team" on the field............. The ball hit a Gobbler player and bounced and a Bulldog player recovered the ball......... Bulldogs 1st and down from the 40 yard line...........

5:45 mins left in the ballgame......... I was on the phone with Rita and don't know what happened the lst 2 mins lol but evidently Somerset scored...... faskmask penalty against Somerset on the PAT so they have to "redo" the PAT - 2 point PAT is good - nice catch by the WR between 2 defenders...........

assuming another Onside kick coming.........

now they are kicking deep........... and Jennings got the ball...... penalty flag on the kickoff........ off sides against Somerset - Gobblers get the ball at the mid field area

Little over 5:00 left in the 4th quarter......... Gobblers inside the Somerset 20 yard line.....Robert Armstrong... nice job Gobblers.........1st down on the 19 yard line

SintonFan
11-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Congratulations on the nice win Gobblers!
:clap: :) :clap:

44INAROW
11-14-2008, 10:55 PM
Touchdown Gobblers - 4 plays ....... that's the way to do it Gobblers............

Cuero 47
Somerset 16

GO MEAN GREEN

44INAROW
11-14-2008, 11:06 PM
sounds like the Somerset players are getting really frustrated -another personal foul........

Final.......
Cuero 47
Somerset 16

Great job Gobblers.......... Next week
Sealy Tigers - classic Texas High School football

The Kracken
11-14-2008, 11:09 PM
Well, heres hoping for Victoria next week. Cuero /Sealy rivalry once again

garciap77
11-14-2008, 11:09 PM
sounds like the Somerset players are getting really frustrated -another personal foul........

Final.......
Cuero 47
Somerset 16

Great job Gobblers.......... Next week
Sealy Tigers - classic Texas High School football

Congrats!!!!!!!!!

44INAROW
11-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Congrats!!!!!!!!!

good luck tomorrow Garcia :)

garciap77
11-14-2008, 11:26 PM
good luck tomorrow Garcia :)

Thanks!

44INAROW
11-15-2008, 12:05 AM
40 lashes with a wet noodle for me - I forgot to count the Somerset touchdown when I was on the phone with Rita......:doh: the final score was
Cuero 47
Somerset 22
sorry about that Somerset fans..... the oversight wasn't intentional..... ;)

stats from tonight's game

1st downs
Cuero - 25
Somerset - 10

Rushing
Cuero 43 for 300 yards
Somerset 15 for (-35)

Passing
Cuero 10 of 16 for 145 yards
Somerset 19 of 36 for 267 (they had a heck of a 4th quarter)

SpursFan
11-15-2008, 12:05 AM
How FUNNY!!

KSAT 12 Sports showed Herb Spencer dyed hair and Gobbler Hard Hat pacing the stands! Leading the cheers!!

Just like Grandpa and Joe said!

LOL!

GO MEAN GREANNNNNNNNNNN!!!

gobbler grad
11-15-2008, 01:39 AM
congrats Gobblers...:clap: now we can talk about Sealy...:D should be a good game and alot closer...:thinking:

HM33
11-15-2008, 01:40 AM
Great Game for the Gobblers!!! Offense looked good. Sad to see Jackson get hurt and probably wont play next week against Sealy but thats ok. Defense still needs some work. Tonight the secondary didn't look amazing and if I were to play cuero that is the one thing I would target and go after. The D-Line did one hell of a job. Best game I have seen them play. They got after that good QB. They keep that up and they have a good shot at a very deep run.

SpursFan
11-15-2008, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by HM33
Sad to see Jackson get hurt and probably wont play next week against Sealy but thats ok.

Any idea what his injury is. Gobbler Radio did not say!

Hope it is not too bad!

Go mean GREEN!

CueroDad08
11-15-2008, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by SpursFan

Hope it is not too bad!

Go mean GREEN!

Deep Bruse on Jackson
Broken leg on Green

headhunter
11-15-2008, 02:55 AM
Gobblers did just what they were supposed to do - Take Care of Business

I was very pleased with the offensive line. They could have run the ball all night. I was also pleased to see us use a lot of play makers. Harryman, Glover, Olsovsky, and Pargman all were involved along with the rest of the usuals. The defense played great for 3-1/2 quarters. Somerset got a huge LUCK PLAY and that sparked a little fire in them, but with 6 minutes left it was a little to late. I was impressed by Somerset's soph QB. He will be a pretty good player in the next two years. The wind was horrible and I though both QB's did a good job of handling the situation. I thought our front 4 on defense did very well, they just missed some sacks and our coverage broke down a few times. Overall I was pleased and I think Cuero will be ready to take on the Tigers.

Keep playing with alot of Intensity. Keep bringing the big hits, the DEFENSE is what is going to win you a championship. Great win but don't even be close to being satisfied. Still things the Gobblers can improve on and we should be in for a good game next week.

HM33
11-15-2008, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by SpursFan

Hope it is not too bad!

Go mean GREEN!

pulled groin, most likely out this week.

GreenMachine
11-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Gobblers did just what they were supposed to do - Take Care of Business

I was very pleased with the offensive line. They could have run the ball all night. I was also pleased to see us use a lot of play makers. Harryman, Glover, Olsovsky, and Pargman all were involved along with the rest of the usuals. The defense played great for 3-1/2 quarters. Somerset got a huge LUCK PLAY and that sparked a little fire in them, but with 6 minutes left it was a little to late. I was impressed by Somerset's soph QB. He will be a pretty good player in the next two years. The wind was horrible and I though both QB's did a good job of handling the situation. I thought our front 4 on defense did very well, they just missed some sacks and our coverage broke down a few times. Overall I was pleased and I think Cuero will be ready to take on the Tigers.

Keep playing with alot of Intensity. Keep bringing the big hits, the DEFENSE is what is going to win you a championship. Great win but don't even be close to being satisfied. Still things the Gobblers can improve on and we should be in for a good game next week. I was not at all impressed with the QB, and I was less impressed with their coaches and players. I don't know if #3 was kicked out of the game after the personal foul on one of our players, but for a coach to shake his hand and pat him on the butt was bad. He should have gotten an a$$ chewing all the way to the bench and then locker room. I know our coaching staff would never stand for something like that. Total lack of class!

headhunter
11-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Oh I agree, not a very classy team at all, the late hit on the onside kick was a shot to the head, very dirty, not impressed.

I just thought the their QB did a decent job with what he had to work with, he bought some time and he did kept his eyes downfield. He is no where near where Arndt was his Soph year but he could be ok in the next two years.

GreenMachine
11-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Oh I agree, not a very classy team at all, the late hit on the onside kick was a shot to the head, very dirty, not impressed.

I just thought the their QB did a decent job with what he had to work with, he bought some time and he did kept his eyes downfield. He is no where near where Arndt was his Soph year but he could be ok in the next two years. I agree he is nowhere near where Arndt was, I guess I expected more with the Detmer bloodline.

gobbler grad
11-15-2008, 11:18 AM
I was not at the game , so how did Somerset score 22 points in the 4th qtr. ? Paper says three passes for touchdowns...what happened...2nd team, somebody forget to cover someone...we only play 3 qtrs...anyone care to comment...:thinking:

JT44
11-15-2008, 11:40 AM
I left with 7:50 left and somerset had just been stopped at the inside the cuero 20. After that, I was told the benches were cleared. One td came w/about 5 min left, then they got the onside kick and scored again. B.johnson scored for cuero towards the end.

headhunter
11-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
I was not at the game , so how did Somerset score 22 points in the 4th qtr. ? Paper says three passes for touchdowns...what happened...2nd team, somebody forget to cover someone...we only play 3 qtrs...anyone care to comment...:thinking:

the first TD was set up by a lucky tip catch that went for 60 yards, then a pass interference call that was questionable allowed the drive to continue. Cuero had their subs in the game when Somerset scored, I would have loved to see the shutout but getting out of their healthy is way more important, especially with a few cheap shots by Somerset I don't think Reeves wanted to take any chances.

Did anyone see the fumble at the beginning of the game that was ruled an incomplete pass? That had to be the worst call even - the receiver caught the ball and turned upfield and then the Cuero DB (i think Boothe) punched it out, how the referee did not see the receiver had control of the ball I will never know. It's not like that call was a big deal but dang I thought the kid had taken 2 ro 3 steps upfield, How do you miss something that easy?

JT44
11-15-2008, 12:39 PM
the first TD was set up by a lucky tip catch that went for 60 yards, then a pass interference call that was questionable allowed the drive to continue. Cuero had their subs in the game when Somerset scored, I would have loved to see the shutout but getting out of their healthy is way more important, especially with a few cheap shots by Somerset I don't think Reeves wanted to take any chances.

Did anyone see the fumble at the beginning of the game that was ruled an incomplete pass? That had to be the worst call even - the receiver caught the ball and turned upfield and then the Cuero DB (i think Boothe) punched it out, how the referee did not see the receiver had control of the ball I will never know. It's not like that call was a big deal but dang I thought the kid had taken 2 ro 3 steps upfield, How do you miss something that easy?

maybe the receiver was juggling it, I couldn't see he was facing the somerset crowd.

but also, didn't Cuero get the ball to start the game and at the half, was that right????