PDA

View Full Version : LaVega throws a game to Play Cuero

Rabid Cougar
11-08-2008, 12:04 PM
LV Coach wanted to play DI so he plays his JV against Lorena Varsity. He might not have job after this year. Bellmead is up in arms.

beartwin
11-08-2008, 12:09 PM
I was at the game vs China Spring and after the loss a lot of the people were calling for Williams to be fired right then. After this incident last night he better hope to make a deep playoff run this year.

LHexPlayer
11-08-2008, 12:10 PM
If the LV coach did actually do this. Then I must say that is pretty dang classless. I would also have to openly root against him. Karma will come back to bite him in the butt.

Rabid Cougar
11-08-2008, 12:12 PM
No "ifs" about it.

Global Swarming
11-08-2008, 12:14 PM
If nothing else, he ought to be fired for being an idiot. Who in their right mind would throw a game to play Cuero. He's no different than the coaches who try to cheat to win.

sinton66
11-08-2008, 12:16 PM
LaVega throws a game to Play Cuero

That's like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.

LHexPlayer
11-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
No "ifs" about it.

That's sad to hear. Sounds like Robinson earned a playoff bid and Lorena was handed it. Hope UIL cracks down on the LV coach. Bush league coach at best.

Rabid Cougar
11-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Global Swarming
If nothing else, he ought to be fired for being an idiot. Who in their right mind would throw a game to play Cuero. He's no different than the coaches who try to cheat to win.

I just said Cuero because of a poster on this board. He REALLY did it to play China Spring.

Global Swarming
11-08-2008, 12:21 PM
That's even more stupid. Why would you want to play a team that had already beaten you. The coach really is stupid.

Sweetwater Red
11-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
That's like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.

That's exactly what I was thinking. :doh:

jimmyceatworld
11-08-2008, 12:27 PM
My brother said he heard they just started their backups. Did they really play the JV? Also, I saw a clip on Waco Trib's site from the game. It was hard to tell how big the LV players were but it looked like they were trying. So this really happened?

kicker48
11-08-2008, 12:29 PM
In my opinion, the UIL made this problem. La Vega is just playing the system. Don't agree with it, but I also don't agree with two 10-0 teams having to play in the first round with the second and third place teams playing with 7-3 vs. 2-8 records. UIL is the problem, not the schools. To me this is justification to make changes that will help both problems.

Rabid Cougar
11-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by jimmyceatworld
My brother said he heard they just started their backups. Did they really play the JV? Also, I saw a clip on Waco Trib's site from the game. It was hard to tell how big the LV players were but it looked like they were trying. So this really happened?
They moved up a lot of JV players. I don't know what percentage of what or who played. The QB and RB and most of their O-line and D didn't play very much AT all . Stats show kids I have not seen before.

Looking4number8
11-08-2008, 12:44 PM
LV Coach wanted to play DI so he plays his JV against Lorena Varsity. He might not have job after this year. Bellmead is up in arms.

So a win would have made them go D1 and the loss made them go D2?

jimmyceatworld
11-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
So a win would have made them go D1 and the loss made them go D2?

A Win would have put Robinson (2-3) in D1 brackett
A Loss put Lorena (3-2) in the D2 brackett

Lorena lost to Robinson so if they were both 2-3, Robinson would have won head to head tie breaker

La Vega Pirates (650 enrollment)
Lorena Leopards (480.5 enrollment)
Robinson Rockets (742 enrollment)

3afan
11-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by kicker48
In my opinion, the UIL made this problem. La Vega is just playing the system. Don't agree with it, but I also don't agree with two 10-0 teams having to play in the first round with the second and third place teams playing with 7-3 vs. 2-8 records. UIL is the problem, not the schools. To me this is justification to make changes that will help both problems.

and what is the solution?

Looking4number8
11-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Dont think there is a solution, someone will always find a way to play the system.

King_LeYoeNidas
11-08-2008, 01:16 PM
well.....there's a way I would think. If the kids that played last night played Thursday, there has to be something done about that. If he "moved them up" on Monday and they didn't play Thursday night, there's not alot that can be done as players get moved up throughout the season w/ any school. Pretty shady though. Karma karma karma.....

Cowboy_Up
11-08-2008, 01:31 PM
I actually think there is a solution.
It's called seeding. You take all the D1 schools and the D2 schools and you have a committee that seeds (is that a word) them on the Sat. after the last game and playoff match-ups are announced on Sun.
You'll always have seeding arguments, but you never end up with top teams playing each other early. Seeding is done by a committee of AD or Supt. from out of the region. No district champs ever play each other in 1st round and you try your best for 1 vs 3 and 2 vs 2 match-ups. It happens all over the country.

headhunter
11-08-2008, 01:35 PM
There will always be problems, no one will ever be happy. besides you will have to beat those teams eventually so why not beat them in the 1st or second round. I understand where you are coming from but let face it, its never going to please everyone.

3afan
11-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
I actually think there is a solution.
It's called seeding. You take all the D1 schools and the D2 schools and you have a committee that seeds (is that a word) them on the Sat. after the last game and playoff match-ups are announced on Sun.
You'll always have seeding arguments, but you never end up with top teams playing each other early. Seeding is done by a committee of AD or Supt. from out of the region. No district champs ever play each other in 1st round and you try your best for 1 vs 3 and 2 vs 2 match-ups. It happens all over the country.

yes it happens in many places and its a political nightmare ... texas has one of the best systems, leave it alone .. the best teams will win. so some really good teams meet early in the playoffs - SO WHAT? the better teams will win & go on ...

Additup
11-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by kicker48

A system where WINNING a game puts your team at a playoff disadvantage and LOSING IMPROVES your chance of winning a week 11 game is not very sound.

UIL has forced coaches to consider losing, if it may somehow help your team in the long run. It's kinda like telling a kid to get a pass interference penalty if he's beat deep or intentionally foul an opponent in basketball to try and win a game.

I just don't like coaches realistically having to consider it, much less doing it. Two playoff teams was a good system...at least there was an advantge to winning your district.

OldBison75
11-08-2008, 01:47 PM
This is probably a very bad move if it did happen that way. LaVega now has to face either Jasper or Tyler Chapel Hill in the second round, if they make it there. Then they will likely get Navasota in the Regional game. Neither of these will be an EASY way to get to Cuero. Maybe they thought that going division 1 would prevent them from seeing Liberty Hill in the first or second round. If the coach did throw the game for a favorable playoff spot, I think he might need counseling if not a firing squad.

This will come back to haunt LaVega and that is a shame for kids that are already fighting back from a player being arrested for a felony earlier in the year.

I guarantee you that they have chosen a difficult course to get to China Spring or Cuero. If this coach makes it through the playoffs to that point, he may be a hero. If it backfires, he will probably have a large number of LaVega HS fans and students that will be ready to move him to another state.

Hopefully, this is a misunderstanding or something else, however, it is a shame that this type action may have caused another team a playoff spot because a coach did not have enough guts to play what was dealt him.

King_LeYoeNidas
11-08-2008, 02:03 PM
thing is, even if he did this intentionally, he can say he wanted to rest his starters before playoffs since playoffs were a sure thing win or lose. Sadly, there will be no way to prove otherwise, even though there was probably some foul plotting going on here....

Buckeye80
11-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Dude! If the LaVega coach is scared of the Buckeyes, he should just "man up" and say so! :D

If it indeed happened the way it sounds, that guy is a moron who has no business teaching children anyway. So as far as La Vega makes it in the playoffs in D1 is a credit to the selfishness of their own coach who didn't want to face the possibility of getting his butt kicked in the second round.

I hope Chapel Hill beats La Vega down!

michaelp23
11-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Global Swarming

Since when are we allowed to say anything bad about coaches on here? I almost got benched for it. Not saying I disagree with these posts, but where's the consistency mods? :confused:

Buckeye80
11-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by michaelp23
Since when are we allowed to say anything bad about coaches on here? I almost got benched for it. Not saying I disagree with these posts, but where's the consistency mods? :confused:
I guess when you are obviously an idiot, people can say things about you being an idiot, because only an idiot would disagree. (I think that's what I meant to say!:D )

WOS87
11-08-2008, 02:58 PM
I just said Cuero because of a poster on this board. He REALLY did it to play China Spring.

It's also possible they didn't want to face the likes of gilmer (in the 2nd round) or have a potential rematch with WOS (in the 3rd round) if they had gone D2

wimbo_pro
11-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Its also a possibility that since LV was a lock for the play offs, he wanted players who do NOT get to play very much to have a chance to start and play. It is POSSIBLE that the coach wasnt worrying about DI or DII, just a chance to rest key players and an even bigger chance to give kids time on the field who otherwise sit the bench.

Is this not possible? If this scenerio is true (and I know its a big "if"), I salute the coach for doing it.

Boomer
11-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Its also a possibility that since LV was a lock for the play offs, he wanted players who do NOT get to play very much to have a chance to start and play. It is POSSIBLE that the coach wasnt worrying about DI or DII, just a chance to rest key players and an even bigger chance to give kids time on the field who otherwise sit the bench.

Is this not possible? If this scenerio is true (and I know its a big "if"), I salute the coach for doing it.

Could be true. But you don't want to sit your starters out the whole game a week before the playoffs.

Every team in the playoffs goal should be to win state. To be the best you have to beat the best. No matter if its in the first round or in the state title game. It does not matter what the UIL does, coaches will find a way to beat the system. If he did do this, he should be punished. This effected other teams other than his.

Global Swarming
11-08-2008, 03:54 PM
You let those kids play when you have a big enough lead like every other school does. You don't put them out there to play the whole game. You have to want to win or you shouldn't play or coach. If I were the starters, I would be ticked having to stand on the sideline and watch the team lose.

JR2004
11-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Bellmead is up in arms.

ROFL...

Yep three MODOC fans (Yes just three) posting on a message board = an entire town up in arms!

Rabid Cougar
11-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
ROFL...

Yep three MODOC fans (Yes just three) posting on a message board = an entire town up in arms!

There are only three La Vega posters on here period.
Go to the HEB in Bellmead and ask the question. Ask anyone that as the game last night. CS folks talking with thier contacts and coworkers all night during the game last night just as they do every Friday checking on scores .... LV people were all irrate!

JR2004
11-08-2008, 04:33 PM
There are only three La Vega posters on here period.
Go to the HEB in Bellmead and ask the question. Ask anyone that as the game last night. CS folks talking with thier contacts and coworkers all night during the game last night just as they do every Friday checking on scores .... LV people were all irrate!

Try again because you are telling lies. And the three MODOC fans are the three on the dying centex board. Yep that's quite an uproar.

I suppose you sat out in front of the HEB all morning and afternoon and took a poll, right?

Yeah I thought not.

And it's irate, not irrate.

Rabid Cougar
11-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Would like to see my HEB receipt?