PDA

View Full Version : Region III GotW: Gilmer Buckeyes vs. Diboll Lumberjacks

tejones@etex.ne
11-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Have the Bucks ever played Diboll? What kind of offense do they run? Who do you think will win?I for one pick the Bucks!!!:confused:

setxsports
11-08-2008, 12:02 PM
If Gilmer wins who would they have 2nd round?

Buckeye80
11-08-2008, 01:35 PM
They get the winner of Mexia and Crockett. This shows you the extent of the ignorance running the show at the UIL. Mexia and Crockett are both right at 100 miles away from Gilmer.

New Boston
LE
Pleasant Grove
Atlanta
Pittsburg
Van
Brownsboro
Eustace
Kemp
Wills Point
Mt Vernon
Canton
Kaufman

All closer than either Mexia or Crockett; most closer than Diboll. All would be state championship matchups for the Buckeyes!

OldBison75
11-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Gilmer should win this one, but don't underestimate Diboll. They are a very athletic team that has good speed and skill. I think the Gilmer line and experience of the skill people will be enough to get this game in the win column. I do think it could be closer that most will believe. Gilmer 28 Diboll 14

kepdawg
11-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
They get the winner of Mexia and Crockett. This shows you the extent of the ignorance running the show at the UIL. Mexia and Crockett are both right at 100 miles away from Gilmer.

New Boston
LE
Pleasant Grove
Atlanta
Pittsburg
Van
Brownsboro
Eustace
Kemp
Wills Point
Mt Vernon
Canton
Kaufman

All closer than either Mexia or Crockett; most closer than Diboll. All would be state championship matchups for the Buckeyes!

Lines have to be drawn somewhere!

Buckeye80
11-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Lines have to be drawn somewhere!

But why draw them between Gilmer and the rest of a region which Gilmer has always been part of?

LH Panther Mom
11-08-2008, 02:47 PM
But why draw them between Gilmer and the rest of a region which Gilmer has always been part of?
Because they had to increase the size of Region I, therefore taking a number of teams out of Region III, leaving a need to increase that region. :)

Buckeye80
11-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Because they had to increase the size of Region I, therefore taking a number of teams out of Region III, leaving a need to increase that region. :)

Bah!! Gilmer's location caused us to repeatedly be tossed around within the region by the UIL "tards". A move to another region just goes right along with everything else. It's just ridiculous to play a team from the gulf region of Texas in the 3rd round! My Lord! Pittsburg and Gilmer could play for the State Championship, and they are 16 miles apart!

coach
11-08-2008, 03:00 PM

New Boston
LE
Pleasant Grove
Atlanta
Pittsburg
Van
Brownsboro
Eustace
Kemp
Wills Point
Mt Vernon
Canton
Kaufman

where is this game being played

Buckeye80
11-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by coach
where is this game being played

It would be a 2nd round game. If it does take place, my guess is Rose Stadium in Tyler.

Buckeye1980
11-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Give it up Buckeye80, lines are drawn all the time . If you are at the edge of a region ,it can happen. Beforethe change (Example:last year) Gilmer could have played Carthage in the championship game. I like the new set regions, give us a chance to play new teams . I am excited about the playoffs. I would love to play Pleasant Grove for the It will be a long ,tough road to the title game,let's start with a win over Diboll, I say 34-21

coach
11-08-2008, 03:12 PM
It would be a 2nd round game. If it does take place, my guess is Rose Stadium in Tyler.

i ment the diboll and gilmer game but i foind out where....and what if gilmer plays crockett...wouldnt sfa be a good neutral site

Buckeye80
11-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
Give it up Buckeye80, lines are drawn all the time . If you are at the edge of a region ,it can happen.

Well, it seems the voice of sage wisdom has put me in my place!

R3Editor
11-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Should be a lot of offense in this one.

Buckeye80
11-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by R3Editor
Should be a lot of offense in this one.

I'll call this one 55-34 Buckeyes.

pirate4state
11-08-2008, 05:32 PM
GO BUCKEYES!
:)

gobbler grad
11-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Gilmer without a doubt...:thinking:

thatboiwes
11-08-2008, 06:37 PM
I really don't know anything about Diboll other than they beat a 4A playoff team, Nacogdoches, lost big to Carthage and have a good dual-threat QB.

Just by looking at their schedule and seeing the scores, it looks like they give up quite a few points. They have given up 260 points for an average of 26 per game. Offensively, they are putting up some good numbers as well. They have scored 397 for an average just under 40 per game.

Gilmer has scored 453 points for an average of just over 45 points per game while giving up a total of 156 points or just over 15 points per game.

It should be a really good game. Going strickly off of averages, I'm going to say:

Gilmer - 35
Diboll - 28

mistanice
11-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by thatboiwes
I really don't know anything about Diboll other than they beat a 4A playoff team, Nacogdoches, lost big to Carthage and have a good dual-threat QB.

Just by looking at their schedule and seeing the scores, it looks like they give up quite a few points. They have given up 260 points for an average of 26 per game. Offensively, they are putting up some good numbers as well. They have scored 397 for an average just under 40 per game.

Gilmer has scored 453 points for an average of just over 45 points per game while giving up a total of 156 points or just over 15 points per game.

It should be a really good game. Going strickly off of averages, I'm going to say:

Gilmer - 35
Diboll - 28

Nac was okay but they actually failed to make the playoffs with Jacksonville winning, and Nac losing to Kilgore last night. Diboll gives up a lot of points. Diboll's game plan - score more points than they give up. simple as that :eek: :D

Aesculus gilmus
11-09-2008, 11:52 AM
I like being in Region III. Region II was getting very boring and predictable. This way we see new matchups.

Region III is the toughest one. To be the best, you've got to beat the best. This year Gilmer is in both the toughest region AND division. You saw La Vega lay down on Friday night because of that fact.

So if the Buckeyes rev up and win their first four games, the last two will be on 'cruise control' to the title, comparatively speaking.

OldBison75
11-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Well, that last comment might have endeared you again this year with the folks from Liberty Hill. If I understood you, you believe that if you can win Region 3, the semi-finals and finals will be easier. I can see that you might be underestimating Sinton in Region 4 and Liberty Hill in the finals. I really don't think you can do that. Gilmer needs to play every week like the game is the state championship, just to get to LH and then talk smack.

Aesculus gilmus
11-09-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm sorry. I was going on what I had read elsewhere on here that Bridgeport will knock off Liberty Hill and come out of that region.

I wasn't talking smack against Liberty Hill. Maybe I am against Bridgeport, though.

wos-84
11-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Well Gilmer still has to get past WOS should WOS win the first 2 rounds. I have wanted to see this match up for a while as it should be a good one this year. Both Gilmer and WOS have good teams but i feel WOS has the advantage with a super defense. As for Diboll, they will lose to a very experienced Gilmer team.

Gilmer 28
Diboll 17

jmo

easttexas3a
11-09-2008, 08:12 PM
I got Gilmer in this one 42-28.

I'm not sure what to expect out of Gilmer in the playoffs, we have really only faced 1 playoff worthy team in district in that of Chapel Hill in which we did play very well. If we can create turnovers, score early, and continue to play very good on the defensive side of the ball, we will be difficult to deal with the rest of the year.

Budman007
11-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
I like being in Region III. Region II was getting very boring and predictable. This way we see new matchups.

Region III is the toughest one. To be the best, you've got to beat the best. This year Gilmer is in both the toughest region AND division. You saw La Vega lay down on Friday night because of that fact.

So if the Buckeyes rev up and win their first four games, the last two will be on 'cruise control' to the title, comparatively speaking.

If you think your team can put it on "cruise control" against either Bridgeport or Liberty Hill, you might want to change your name to Gluteus Maximus?
;)

OldBison75
11-09-2008, 11:01 PM
If the Gimer vs WOS matchup becomes reality, like it should, that will be a game to see. The winner will be my favorite to play in the finals. That is the week that will define the strength of the winner, and the loser will still be one of the best five teams in the state in both Divisions.

eagles_victory
11-10-2008, 12:53 AM
Saw Diboll wasnt impressed at all. Gilmer should win their first two playoff games rather easy as I dont see Crockett or Mexia putting up much resistance to the Buckeyes either.

waterboy
11-10-2008, 10:48 AM
This is the playoffs. Anything can happen. If Gilmer makes the mistake of looking past anybody, they could be sitting at home watching the playoffs. I don't see that happening this year. The Buckeyes SHOULD win this game. Don't know by how much, but that doesn't matter, so long as it is a win. I can assure you the Buckeyes will not even think about the next round until after they take care of business this Friday night. Diboll will definitely be a good test for the Buckeye defense. The Buckeyes must be focused and sharp in all facets of the game from here on out in order to accomplish the goals they've set for themselves. I have no doubt they can get it done, they'll just have to execute like we know they're capable of. After all, there won't be any weak sisters in the playoffs.

Go Buckeyes! One game at a time!

Aesculus gilmus
11-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Budman007
If you think your team can put it on "cruise control" against either Bridgeport or Liberty Hill, you might want to change your name to Gluteus Maximus?
;)

Good one, Budman. I always appreciate a Latin scholar.

Given Gilmer's all-time record against Liberty Hill, I definitely cannot justifiably talk smack against them.

Odds are these theoretical matchups will not come off and I agree it's a long way off until we can even consider them.

Budman007
11-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Good one, Budman. I always appreciate a Latin scholar.

Given Gilmer's all-time record against Liberty Hill, I definitely cannot justifiably talk smack against them.

Odds are these theoretical matchups will not come off and I agree it's a long way off until we can even consider them.

I know one thing for certain AG, this year your Buckeyes are good, my Bulls are good, and Liberty Hill is always good.

Best of luck in the playoffs!

N4SIR
11-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
Well, that last comment might have endeared you again this year with the folks from Liberty Hill. If I understood you, you believe that if you can win Region 3, the semi-finals and finals will be easier. I can see that you might be underestimating Sinton in Region 4 and Liberty Hill in the finals. I really don't think you can do that. Gilmer needs to play every week like the game is the state championship, just to get to LH and then talk smack.

There is no doubt that Gilmer has a much tougher road to get to the state championship game than Liberty Hill does. Regions III and IV have nearly twice as many Top 25 teams in them than do Regions I and II. It ought to be a cake walk for LH to make it back to the state championship game. Gilmer is going to have to work for it.

easttexas3a
11-10-2008, 10:24 PM
I was just looking at gilmer's road. It's difficult, but the reward for making it to state with that lineup would be very high. even though people talked a lot of smack about La Vega, quite honestly I feel a lot better about playing crockett or mexia in round 2 should we get there.

HEMOTOXIC
11-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Gilmer 56
Diboll 22

easttexas3a
11-11-2008, 01:50 AM
I just looked at an old writeup of the Carthage Diboll game. Carthage beat Diboll 62-28. I think it has been noted by many east texas fans that Carthage and Gilmer are very similar. Even our one common opponet Kilgore, has had several of their fans state that both were very similar. If that is true I wonder if the rule would apply and you could see Gilmer winning this game somewhere in that ballpark. It would be nice.

mistanice
11-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by easttexas3a
I just looked at an old writeup of the Carthage Diboll game. Carthage beat Diboll 62-28. I think it has been noted by many east texas fans that Carthage and Gilmer are very similar. Even our one common opponet Kilgore, has had several of their fans state that both were very similar. If that is true I wonder if the rule would apply and you could see Gilmer winning this game somewhere in that ballpark. It would be nice.

Nac fans were saying how Carthage was a great team and how they barley beat them. Then they lose to Diboll, go figure.

LH Panther Mom
11-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by N4SIR
There is no doubt that Gilmer has a much tougher road to get to the state championship game than Liberty Hill does. Regions III and IV have nearly twice as many Top 25 teams in them than do Regions I and II. It ought to be a cake walk for LH to make it back to the state championship game. Gilmer is going to have to work for it.
Gilmer gets to experience what we saw the last two years, if you make it out alive.

Best of luck to BOTH teams for a well-played, injury free game! :clap: :clap:

eagles_victory
11-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by mistanice
Nac fans were saying how Carthage was a great team and how they barley beat them. Then they lose to Diboll, go figure. I still dont know how that happened, but from what I gather Nac is pretty inconsistent from week to week.

mistanice
11-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I still dont know how that happened, but from what I gather Nac is pretty inconsistent from week to week.

"and that's why they play the game!" :D

rockdale80
11-11-2008, 04:01 PM

Why cry about it? Are you skeert?

KingRob
11-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Gilmer - 48
Diboll - 21

Buckeye80
11-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Why cry about it? Are you skeert?

Should've known that you would chime in at some point! You have no business in this part of the state. Beat it!

Buckeye80
11-12-2008, 11:27 AM
I'll call this one 55-34 Buckeyes.

I'm going to amend my pick. After careful consideration, I'm going:

Gilmer 51
Diboll 14

That's it! That's what I'm going with.

waterboy
11-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Buckeye80, I like the way the playoffs set up this year. Although it's a MUCH tougher road to get there, the reward is that the state game would probably be much closer. It would probably be REAL close if there was anybody in Region II that was good enough to make it to the finals. I don't think there is this year, but maybe, just maybe, next year.

lostaussie
11-12-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm going to amend my pick. After careful consideration, I'm going:

Gilmer 51
Diboll 14

That's it! That's what I'm going with. I like the way you think!!!!

easttexas3a
11-12-2008, 04:22 PM
The closer we get to this game the more and more I have a good feeling about it. I have a friend that lives in Carthage who has been giving me the business all year about how carthage is gonna knock us out. Well anyways he has seen us when we played Chapel Hill, and he has seen Diboll in their game with Carthage and he told me that we should score somewhere in the 50's if he had to guess, and that If our defense just played the way they can play it would be a runaway. I hope he is right.

rockdale80
11-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Should've known that you would chime in at some point! You have no business in this part of the state. Beat it!

:) :)

If you make it far enough in the playoffs to have a game near Austin let me know. We can get together for some cerveza's.

You probably wont though.

Buckeye80
11-12-2008, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
:) :)

If you make it far enough in the playoffs to have a game near Austin let me know. We can get together for some cerveza's.

You probably wont though.

Oh! You mean like the last time we got together for cervezas huh? :D

rockdale80
11-12-2008, 11:55 PM
Oh! You mean like the last time we got together for cervezas huh? :D

Yeah, the last time you guys left for the game 2 hours before kickoff and I had to sit on the visitors side and watch them get destroyed. :D

Global Swarming
11-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
If the Gimer vs WOS matchup becomes reality, like it should, that will be a game to see. The winner will be my favorite to play in the finals. That is the week that will define the strength of the winner, and the loser will still be one of the best five teams in the state in both Divisions.

WOS has to get by Caldwell first. Don't under estimate the Hornets.

waterboy
11-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Global Swarming
WOS has to get by Caldwell first. Don't under estimate the Hornets.
In that case, GO HORNETS!:D

Good luck! I heard WO-S has an awesome defense. Promise to come back Monday and tell us about it?

Buckeye80
11-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Just on a side note, I'm gonna go watch Carthage beat the dog biscuits outta Tatum tonight! I wanna get a feel for the stadium having never been there.

Carthage 60
Tatum 18

Global Swarming
11-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
In that case, GO HORNETS!:D

Good luck! I heard WO-S has an awesome defense. Promise to come back Monday and tell us about it?

I'll give you the run down on their defense on Monday. They're supposed to be tough. But their district wasn't as strong this year so we'll have to see.

waterboy
11-13-2008, 05:04 PM
I'll give you the run down on their defense on Monday. They're supposed to be tough. But their district wasn't as strong this year so we'll have to see.
Yeah, but they've only given up 41 points overall, 6 points in the 2nd half, and double digits only once all year. That's sounds pretty stout even if the competition is subpar. I hope Caldwell can get it done, but you must admit, it sounds like a tall task. GO HORNETS!

Global Swarming
11-13-2008, 06:26 PM
You're right, it is a tall task for Caldwell. We haven't gotten out of the second round since I can remember and I'm 39 lol. Hopefully we could have gotten our feet wet with a different opponent but it is what it is. I hope not playing this week doesn't affect us like it did against Rockdale. All I can say is that WOS better bring a sack lunch because it's going to be a battle.

Aesculus gilmus
11-13-2008, 07:50 PM
a sack lunch

This would be what a team nicknamed the "Cannibals" would do to a QB.

I think it'd be a pretty cool name for a football team and I don't think it's taken yet in Texas.

They're building new schools all the time in the 'burbs and any of them have my permission to steal this name.

As everyone on here probably knows, we're the only Buckeyes in Texas. The only problem is how to depict one. No one can figure out how to make an inflatable one to run through before the game and our sideline mascot, bless whoever it is this season, has also been called names such as "pumpkin head" and others I don't recall.

I've heard that at a cheerleader camp at SFA once, some other school's kids came up to our mascot and said, "What are y'all? The fightin' 'M&Ms'?

LH Panther Mom
11-13-2008, 10:41 PM
I've heard that at a cheerleader camp at SFA once, some other school's kids came up to our mascot and said, "What are y'all? The fightin' 'M&Ms'?
ROFL! :D

easttexas3a
11-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Who else has a bag of buckeyes at home, and they bring one to the games to keep in their pocket. I know I do for luck.

thatboiwes
11-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by easttexas3a
Who else has a bag of buckeyes at home, and they bring one to the games to keep in their pocket. I know I do for luck.

They used to grow all around a fence line at my Dad's house. I used to go grab them all the time.

Buckeye80
11-14-2008, 02:39 PM
5 hrs and 51 minutes till kickoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited, I just peed a little!:D

pirate4state
11-14-2008, 02:40 PM
5 hrs and 51 minutes till kickoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited, I just peed a little!:D :doh: :tmi: :D

IHStangFan
11-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Will this game be on the radio?

mistanice
11-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Will this game be on the radio?

Diboll's webcast here - http://www.audiosportsonline.net/Diboll/2008Football.htm

Aesculus gilmus
11-14-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
Diboll's webcast here - http://www.audiosportsonline.net/Diboll/2008Football.htm

Gilmer's is here:

http://ibn.ihigh.com/play/index.cfm?fuseaction=embstay&id=101BE2BDF0&Org=IBN&CFID=12717275&CFTOKEN=10429813

Buckeye80
11-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Gilmer's is here:

http://ibn.ihigh.com/play/index.cfm?fuseaction=embstay&id=101BE2BDF0&Org=IBN&CFID=12717275&CFTOKEN=10429813

What time you leavin?

tdsteele
11-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Blow-out.