PDA

View Full Version : Bridge City vs. Hamshire-Fannett

bccards
11-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Not every day you see a box score like this

BC 14 21 7 1 = 43
H-F 7 0 7 13 = 27

1 point scored in the 4th quarter for BC, can't say i've ever seen it..

BC puts 0-10 behind them with .500 2008

Gabriel Pruett
The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY — Blake Hubbard could not hold back the tears.

Last season the Bridge City Cardinals went 0-10.

The Cardinals started the year off with a win over Liberty and soon after Hurricane Ike devastated the town of Bridge City.

After Friday night, the Cardinals for at least one night put all the troubles behind them with a 43-27 victory over the Hamshire-Fannett Longhorns.

The Cardinals end the season 4-4 and collected the team’s first home win since the 2006 season.

“I am so excited,” Hubbard, a senior, said. “It is hard to even talk right now. We showed we could handle everything this team has gone through. Everyone has gone through hard times and now it feels good to go out with a win.”

The Cardinals wasted no time in the game either.

On the first play from scrimmage, junior quarterback Josh Lemoine took a snap and handed off to wide receiver Luke Rhodes on what looked like to be a receiver reverse.

Rhodes instead pulled up and found fellow receiver Jerry Landry who hauled in the catch and scooted 61 yards for a quick 7-0 Bridge City lead.

“We had worked on that in practice all week,” Rhodes said. “I just lobbed it up there and Jerry had to slow down a bit to get it.”

Cardinals Coach Cris Stump was obviously more than proud of his 2008 Cardinals who never once talked about 2007 even when pesky reporters tried to bring it up along the way.

“0-10 feels like a long time ago,” Stump said. “It of course is still in the back of our minds and is something we will always keep there. Like I have said we tried to never bring it up. I am so proud of these kids and our coaches on how they have handled everything this team has gone through. I can’t say enough about our senior leadership. I am proud of the way we fought through it all.”

The Cardinals celebrated 22 seniors Friday on Senior Night at Larry B. Ward Stadium and also celebrated the impressive seasons by a few younger players.

Freshman running back Matt Menard capped off his impressive year with 139 yards on 22 carries and three touchdowns. Menard finishes with 537 yards in 2008 with four touchdowns.

Lemoine also showed great poise for the Cardinals all year long and finished the campaign nicely on Friday.

The signal caller was 5-for-11 passing for 73 yards which brought his season total to 1,053 yards on the year.

Lemoine also ran for 103 yards Friday night with two touchdowns.

The night also belonged to a stingy Bridge City defense.

Senior Zach Heinze picked off two Hamshire-Fannett passes while fellow senior Jared Raggio also intercepted a Jake Minaldi pass.

Hubbard came up with a sack and senior Cody Eldridge blocked his fifth kick of the night, which Heinze ran back on a PAT for a 1-point Bridge City conversion to make the final score in the fourth quarter.

The Cardinals, who had a hard time on defense in 2007, limited the Longhorns to 240 yards of total offense. Minaldi threw for 171 while the Longhorns rushed for 69 yards.

“All the seniors are feeling good right now,” Hubbard said. “Last year now feels like so like ago. We were such a different team this year. It feels great.”

The Longhorns tied the score at 7-7 late in the first half but Lemoine quickly put the Cardinals up for good.

Bridge City needed only five plays to score as Lemoine dazzled on a 37-yard quarterback keeper to make it 13-7. Devin Bertran, who was perfect on all six of his PATs Friday, made it 14-7.

After a Hamshire-Fannett punt, Menard was ready to leave his mark on the game in a hurry.

The freshman scooted 38 yards for a touchdown on the drive’s first play and Bridge City took a 21-7 lead with 11:41 left in the first half.

Lemoine and Mernard each added 1-yard touchdowns before the end of the first half as Bridge City led 35-7 at the break.

Menard had Bridge City’s only touchdown of the second half.

The Longhorns scored two special team’s touchdowns in the second half.

Receiver Jeremy Pinder had an 85-yard kickoff return and Joe Brittain had a 15-yard fumble return on a Bridge City punt attempt in which the snap fell out of the punter’s hands.

Pinder would later grab a 41-yard touchdown pass from Minaldi on a nice flea flicker.

“I am so proud of the way this team fought through it all,” Stump said. “We have a good group of young players coming back. This will sure make the offseason feel a little bit easier, at least in our minds.”

After the .500 campaign, Rhodes wants new goals for the Cardinals in 2009.

“0-10 is over for us,” Rhodes said. “We are going to try for the playoffs next year. This year feels so good and now we just want to get over that hill. We battled after Hurricane Ike. We have a lot to be proud of.”

Bridge City 43

Hamshire-Fannett 27

BC14 21 7 1 — 43

H-F 7 0 7 13 — 27

Scoring summary

BC — Jerry Landry 61 pass from Luke Rhodes. Devin Bertrand kick.

H-F — Chance Gallier 15 pass from Jake Minaldi. Travis Briggs kick.

BC — Josh Lemoine 37 run. Bertrand kick.

BC — Matt Menard 38 run. Bertrand kick.

BC — Menard 1 run. Bertrand kick.

BC — Lemoine 1 run. Bertrand kick.

BC — Menard 1 run. Bertrand kick.

H-F — Jeremy Pinder 85 kickoff return. Briggs kick.

H-F — Joe Brittain 15 fumble return. Briggs kick.

H-F — Pinder 41 pass from Minaldi.

BC — Zach Heinze 1 point PAT return.

———

BC H-F

First downs 18 21

Rushes-yards 37-244 29-69

Passing 134 171

Comp-Att-Int 6-12-0 13-29-3

Fumbles-Lost 2-1 1-0

Penalties-Yards 7-75 8-66

———

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING—BC, Matt Menard 22-139, Josh Lemoine 11-103, Cameron Dishon 1-8, Colton Gereau 2-6, Team 1-(-12). H-F, Chris Bell 15-52, Jacob Scully 5-22, Austin Simmons 2-7, Jeremy Pinder 1-5, Jeremy Porter 1-(-9), Jake Minaldi 6-(-18).

PASSING— BC, Lemoine 5-11-0 73, Luke Rhodes 1-1-0 61. H-F, Minaldi 13-29-3 171.

RECEIVING—BC, Jerry Landry 2-91, Rhodes 2-9, Menard 1-26, Michael Coleman 1-8. H-F, Pinder 5-95, Chance Gallier 3-42, Bell 3-9, Cullen Ogden 1-16, Scully 1-9.

http://www.orangeleader.com/hssports/local_story_313010007.html?keyword=secondarystory

3afan
11-08-2008, 10:58 AM
one of those 1 pt safeties?