PDA

View Full Version : Path to the State Championship

gatordaze
11-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Now that playoff matchups are set, what is your teams path to the championship. Using the Harris or Massey Rankings pick the highest ranked teams that you should face based upon you bracket and justify when you fall out and why. Assume you will win and only justify why you would win against the higher ranked team.

Celina looks like this using Massey:

r1- Van Alstyne W

r2- Kennedale W

r3- Pleasant Grove W

r4- Argyle W (again)

r5- Bridgeport (Justification for upset- Compared very well in pre season scrimmage with both teams missing their starting RB's. Won the live quarter 21-0)

State Championship- Gilmer (Cannot justify a win as they destroyed Daingerfield the week after they beat us)

Actually a pretty favorable run for the Bobcats, Very happy to be on the left side of the brackets!

navscanmaster
11-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Round One: BYE

Round Two: Silsbee (W)

Round Three: La Vega (W) No Chris Parr. They have been winning, but point production is down.

Round Four: Cuero (W) Cuero has shown they can be beat. I don't think either team will be able to stop the other in this one. Whoever has the ball last wins.

Round Five: China Spring (W) A little lighter dose of defense than Cuero had will give the Rattlers the edge. Still a last man with the ball kind of matchup.

Maroon87
11-08-2008, 10:27 AM
I saw one 4A projection that had Calallen losing to Everman by 10 in the 4A-DII finals. After the way this season started I would definitely take that...

gatordaze
11-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by navscanmaster

Round Three: La Vega (W) No Chris Parr. They have been winning, but point production is down.

Round Four: Cuero (W) Cuero has shown they can be beat. I don't think either team will be able to stop the other in this one. Whoever has the ball last wins.

Round Five: China Spring (W) A little lighter dose of defense than Cuero had will give the Rattlers the edge. Still a last man with the ball kind of matchup.

So you're predicting an appearance in the finals against who? and why would you lose that one? Also can you indicate at what point a win would be considered an upset based upon rankings?

navscanmaster
11-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze
So you're predicting an appearance in the finals against who? and why would you lose that one? Also can you indicate at what point a win would be considered an upset based upon rankings?
If you go by the computer rankings (Harris/Massey/WOS87), rounds 3, 4, and 5 (State Final in DI) would be upsets if we won. The big two human polls (AP, DCTF) have us at 2nd and 4th. China Springs would be the final, and they would have to beat Abilene Wylie and Prosper to get there, so that is really a toss up. The Navasota offense hasn't been stopped this year.

Buckeye80
11-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Round 1: Diboll Lumberjacks
Explosive athletes on both sides of the ball and very sure tacklers on defense. Versatile and balanced offense.

Round 2: Mexia Blackcats
Good fundamental team. Control the tempo of games and rely on a solid defense.

Round 3: WOS Mustangs
What can you say? A win here for the Buckeyes would be IMO and upset. Lights out defense and more athletes on the field than any other team in the state besides, well Gilmer. Phenomenal match-up of "O vs D"!

Round 4: Carthage Bulldogs
Probably the closest resemblance to Gilmer of any team in the state. QB Blackshire has a "howitzer" for an arm and is a gifted athlete. Defensively, the Bulldogs have speed to burn.

Round 5: Bellville Brahmas
Somebody has to help me with this one. All I know is that Bellville is a historically a great team.

Round 6: Bridgeport Bulls
Again, don't know much about this team except that they have the best offense in the state. Offensive shootout between the top two offenses in the state would make for a game worthy of a State Championship!

Rabid Cougar
11-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster

Don't think we can play defense do you? Ask Cuero about our defense. To a man, it IS the same defense from last year.

OldBison75
11-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Dude, nobody says you have no defense. He said that both offense have not been stopped and the last team with the ball might win if this is the real matchup. You and us have a long way to go to get to this matchup. Hopefully we both make the trip. You guys get by Wylie and Prosper, and we'll try out Chapel Hill or LaVega. Then we can talk trash. It's too early for this to even be an issue.

Rabid Cougar
11-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Not the way I read it but you are correct, it is WAY to early for the smack.

bp80884
11-08-2008, 09:43 PM
never too early to talk trash. Go Cougars!!!

WOS1
11-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
What can you say? A win here for the Buckeyes would be IMO and upset. Lights out defense and more athletes on the field than any other team in the state besides, well Gilmer. Phenomenal match-up of "O vs D"!

I would sooooo love to see this game happen.

WOS87
11-09-2008, 07:08 PM
According to my ratings WO-S would not face any opponent who's name did not begin with one of the first 7 letters of the alphabet (B, C and G to be specific)

Rd 1: Coldspring
Rd 2: Caldwell
Rd 3: Gilmer
Qu: Carthage
Semi: Bellville
Final: Bridgeport

easttexas3a
11-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Round 1: Diboll Lumberjacks
I personally think they will take us to the 4th quarter, and I have said a 42-28 victory. Will be close game but have faith we can get it done.

Round 2: Crockett Bulldogs
Really good defensive team, has always been able to upset teams early in the season but have yet to put together a real strong playoff run.

Will be the best team we will have faced up until that point, same could be said for them more then likely.

Round 4: Carthage Bulldogs
Will be like playing a replica of ourselves. We lost to Kilgore by 14 in a game we felt liek we did not play well, they lost to them by 10 in a game they felt like they should have won.

Round 5: Bellville Brahmas
I'm not real sure who will come out of region 4 but besides Bellville and Giddings I didn't see many names I recognized.

Round 6: Liberty Hill Panthers
Rematch of last years state Championship, IMO Liberty Hill will be favored in every game they play this year, and I expect them to be there. Hope we play in a dome.

Budman007
11-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Bridgeport Bulls path to State D2 Championship:

Rd 1: Bye
Rd 2: Llano
Rd 3: Monahans
Rd 4: Liberty Hill (but wishing for Sweetwater)
Rd 5: Celina
Rd 6: Gilmer

slpybear the bullfan
11-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Budman007
Bridgeport Bulls path to State D2 Championship:

Rd 1: Bye
Rd 2: Llano
Rd 3: Monahans
Rd 4: Liberty Hill (but wishing for Sweetwater)
Rd 5: Celina
Rd 6: Gilmer

+1 on this Budman... looks good!