PDA

View Full Version : What happen to Brownwood tis year?

etbu
11-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Guys not trying to be funny but with Ike this year have not be in the know. At the start of the year was reading that they would be really good and then look over the past week or so and sounds like wheels came off. What happen did they loose some kids or what?

Looking4number8
11-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Pretty simple, we had the #1 offense in 3A this year in yards gained (after 9 games) but our deffense just could not stop anybody. We averaged over 40 points a game but allowed almost 50. All that turns into a 3-7 season with dissapointed players, coaches and fans sitting home in early November wonder what could have been.

K-MAC Chuck
11-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Well for the 2 cents it's worth...

Brownwood gave Liberty Hill ALL the Panthers could handle. That's one game I (and probably many others) will NEVER forget.

A shame that a team like Brownwood doesn't make the playoffs. The Lions had a fun team to watch (for sure), and deserved to make the postseason.

Thanks, Brownwood, you may not be in the playoffs but you provided your fans and your community some memorable moments this season.

3afan
11-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by K-MAC Chuck
... The Lions had a fun team to watch (for sure), and deserved to make the postseason.

no, they were 3-7 .... :p

Looking4number8
11-08-2008, 10:06 AM

Brownwood gave Liberty Hill ALL the Panthers could handle. That's one game I (and probably many others) will NEVER forget.

Almost all of our games were like that. Never seen so many games where we scored so much and came so close but lost every one of the close ones.

Sville
11-08-2008, 11:09 AM
How did the Bwood sub-varsity do this year?

Trashman
11-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Sville

They did very well and 11 or 12 of them ended the season on the varsity. :D

injuredinmelee
11-08-2008, 11:54 AM

A shame that a team like Brownwood doesn't make the playoffs. The Lions had a fun team to watch (for sure), and deserved to make the postseason.

Thanks, Brownwood, you may not be in the playoffs but you provided your fans and your community some memorable moments this season.

explain how they deserve it? Should we just let everyone in? Earn it or lace up the high tops.

Looking4number8
11-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
explain how they deserve it? Should we just let everyone in? Earn it or lace up the high tops.

Whats your problem, the man was just being nice to us while we were down. Dont think he meant they should create a spot for us.

Sweetwater Red
11-08-2008, 12:21 PM
I can tell you that both Sweetwater and Snyder are pretty good
defensive teams. Brownwood put up 41 against ours. Ofcourse,
8 of that was in garbage time with a minute left in the game.:D
They hung 49 on Snyder's defense lastnight. It's like
Looking4number8 said. "They can score on anybody and can
stop nobody.

Bullaholic
11-08-2008, 12:27 PM
I think it was due purely to Brownwood's killer schedule. I understand the coach's thinking of taking on the some of the best 3A had to offer, plus a perennial 4A power, prior to competeing in arguably the toughest 3A District in the state, but I think the result was a reverse shock-and-awe effect from which Brownwood never recovered.

headhunter
11-08-2008, 12:35 PM
No they just were not that good, You have to be good on both sides of the ball and with all the talent they have it it the coaches job to find out how to stop teams from scoring.

Looking4number8
11-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I think it was due purely to Brownwood's killer schedule. I understand the coach's thinking of taking on the some of the best 3A had to offer, plus a perennial 4A power, prior to competeing in arguably the toughest 3A District in the state, but I think the result was a reverse shock-and-awe effect from which Brownwood never recovered.

I would love to agree with you but I just cant. We just did not have the defense this year.. plain and simple. Great kids and coaches but we were just not physicaly able to get the job done. Wish it would have been different but... whats done is done and the record shows it

Bullaholic
11-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
I would love to agree with you but I just cant. We just did not have the defense this year.. plain and simple. Great kids and coaches but we were just not physicaly able to get the job done. Wish it would have been different but... whats done is done and the record shows it

I appreciate your honesty, Looking4number8, and I was not trying to give opportunites for Brownwood apologists, I really think that if the Lions had beaten 1 or 2 of the powers in some of those close games that the confidence of those victories would have carried Brownwood to a better season and probably the playoffs. These are young players and mediocre teams have been known to do some pretty amazing things when they are inspired by some confidence. A win is the biggest confidence booster of all. Recovering from several losses in a row and turning a season around takes an experienced team with a lot of senior leadership.

Looking4number8
11-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I appreciate your honesty, Looking4number8, and I was not trying to give opportunites for Brownwood apologists, I really think that if the Lions had beaten 1 or 2 of the powers in some of those close games that the confidence of those victories would have carried Brownwood to a better season and probably the playoffs. These are young players and mediocre teams have been known to do some pretty amazing things when they are inspired by some confidence. A win is the biggest confidence booster of all. Recovering from several losses in a row and turning a season around takes an experienced team with a lot of senior leadership.

I agree with that, it seemed the only thing our defense lacked was the confidence that they could do it. A stop here or there that made a difference in the game might could have turned things around for us. Seemed our defense was always in the places it needed to be, just did not bring the opponent down until they got downfield.

Bullaholic
11-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
I agree with that, it seemed the only thing our defense lacked was the confidence that they could do it. A stop here or there that made a difference in the game might could have turned things around for us. Seemed our defense was always in the places it needed to be, just did not bring the opponent down until they got downfield.

For what it's worth, L4N8, Bridgeport had exactly the same type of defense last season with many of the same players on defense that we have this season. We didn't seem to be able to stop or tackle anybody, and in the space of 1 season----"Whooosh", it all seemed to gel and now we seem to be able to stop everybody. I hope this happens for the Lions, too. Best of luck next season, and I hope you Brownwood folks can come watch my Bulls in the playoffs if you get the chance---you folks won't be disappointed.

Looking4number8
11-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Not sure who will get to see play. I have a friend and we pick a playoff game everyweekend to go to if possible. Brownwood usually gets some games in the first 2 or 3 rounds so those are easy to go see.

Last year Odessa Perminan played here in the first round. That was fun. The was also a 2A state champioonship game here. Guess that is the upside of being out of the playoffs, we get a chance to see some other teams play.

swstangs001
11-08-2008, 01:15 PM
i think part of it was that they got big headed, i know alot of people from there ad they ALL thought that they were going to come to 3a and win state

Looking4number8
11-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by swstangs001
i think part of it was that they got big headed, i know alot of people from there ad they ALL thought that they were going to come to 3a and win state

Every good program thinks that (or least hopes for that) every year! I thought we had a chance every year in 4A and I will think it every year in 3A

Black_Magic
11-08-2008, 01:58 PM

Thanks, Brownwood, you may not be in the playoffs but you provided your fans and your community some memorable moments this season. The Brownwood Liberty Hill Score was the same as the Brownwood v Snyder score. 56-49

BwdLion_80
11-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Sville

Our JV finished the year 8-2, losing to LaVega by 6 and Graham by 8. Not that it means anything but our JV beat LH by about 24, Wylie 44-26, S'water 25-0, Breck 50-0 and Snyder 25-24. We only had 14 juniors total in the program and 5 of those were on varsity while the other 9 mostly only saw limited action on the 2 JV teams. The bulk of our JV starters were soph's. and we still have anywhere from 7 to 11 sophs on varsity throughout the year. We ended the year with a freshman at RB, (#38), and he will be a very good one over the next 3 years. The future looks bright for us.

OldBison75
11-08-2008, 03:03 PM
Brownwood played one of the toughest, if not the toughest schedule in 3A this year. They did not try to slip into the playoffs, but took on anyone they could. With the high octane offense and good athletes, they proved to be only a few plays each week from being 8-2. Youth on a team often has to have a big confidence building win to believe in themselves 100 percent. This group of Lions were not able to find that momentum to help the defense.

Next year they will have a team of good personnel that is still young and now experienced. The coaching staff will see a blossom of confidence from this year's youth and people better be ready for a great team on the field next year.

Good luck to the Lions and hold up your heads, you are going to come back next year a year older, more confident, and hungry. There is nothing wrong in Brownwood that a new season won't fix.

pirate4state
11-08-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm glad I got to see them play this year. :)

VWG
11-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
Brownwood played one of the toughest, if not the toughest schedule in 3A this year. They did not try to slip into the playoffs, but took on anyone they could. With the high octane offense and good athletes, they proved to be only a few plays each week from being 8-2. Youth on a team often has to have a big confidence building win to believe in themselves 100 percent. This group of Lions were not able to find that momentum to help the defense.

Next year they will have a team of good personnel that is still young and now experienced. The coaching staff will see a blossom of confidence from this year's youth and people better be ready for a great team on the field next year.

Good luck to the Lions and hold up your heads, you are going to come back next year a year older, more confident, and hungry. There is nothing wrong in Brownwood that a new season won't fix.

I understand about coming back for next year, but they have some HUGE holes to fill at the QB and WR position.

Snyder_TigerFan
11-08-2008, 03:35 PM
oops....wrong thread.

DOS EQUIS
11-08-2008, 03:44 PM
What happened to Brownwood this year? Simply put, they got beat by some very good programs. It is obvious what Brownwood coaches need to do. If they work on their defense maybe we will see them in the playoffs next year.

Looking4number8
11-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by VWG
I understand about coming back for next year, but they have some HUGE holes to fill at the QB and WR position.

While that is true, I am positive we will be running a different offense next year. Brownwood is not usualy a spead team but with the talent we had at those positions, it would have been a crime not to run the spread. Look for us to run more than throw next year because the QB coming up is very quick with his feet. We also have a stable of 5 or 6 running backs that are only sophmores and freshman this year. With all that said, the QB has a very strong and accurate arm so we shoud have a pretty good mix when the season comes around.

By the way, it really really sucks to already be thinking about next year!

Trashman
11-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by swstangs001

You are full of crap...I live here and I do not know anybody that thought that. We talk a lot of trash, that is just the way we are. Now run along and play....I've got to polish my empty 2008 3A trophy case.:D :D :D

injuredinmelee
11-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
You are full of crap...I live here and I do not know anybody that thought that. We talk a lot of trash, that is just the way we are. Now run along and play....I've got to polish my empty 2008 3A trophy case.:D :D :D

thats gold right there

BwdLion_80
11-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by VWG

The WR position will be harder to fill than the QB will be. Our JV QB, that was moved up to the varsity during the Graham week, will be more than capable in handling the offense. Personally, I don't think it, our offense, will change all the much. We will not have the 2 6'4 WR's, but we have a soph, that was on varsity too, that is 6' now. His dad is 6'3, so he probably still have some growing to do. The rest of our WR's will be a lot like our #10 this year, small with good hands and pretty quick. We will have to replace 3 O-lineman, but with all the injuries we had on the line this year, we have 3 lineman that will be juniors, that got a lot of experience this year, 1 of them started against LH and did a real good job. At RB, as I already posted, the freshman kid will be a soph plus we have 2 pretty good RB's that were on the JV (1 will be a sr. the other a jr.). We should have a very good backfield. Hopefully when all this years sophs get together next year on varsity as juniors, they will continue to improve like they did this year on the JV.

Looking4number8
11-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion_80
The WR position will be harder to fill than the QB will be. Our JV QB, that was moved up to the varsity during the Graham week, will be more than capable in handling the offense. Personally, I don't think it, our offense, will change all the much. We will not have the 2 6'4 WR's, but we have a soph, that was on varsity too, that is 6' now. His dad is 6'3, so he probably still have some growing to do. The rest of our WR's will be a lot like our #10 this year, small with good hands and pretty quick. We will have to replace 3 O-lineman, but with all the injuries we had on the line this year, we have 3 lineman that will be juniors, that got a lot of experience this year, 1 of them started against LH and did a real good job. At RB, as I already posted, the freshman kid will be a soph plus we have 2 pretty good RB's that were on the JV (1 will be a sr. the other a jr.). We should have a very good backfield. Hopefully when all this years sophs get together next year on varsity as juniors, they will continue to improve like they did this year on the JV.

Thanks brother, you know a lot more than me. All mine is just speculation from the stands.

Who-dun-it!!?
11-08-2008, 07:27 PM
My opinion is....

Brownwood is by far the best Offensive team that Snyder played all year. The QB and WR's were nothing short of speck-freakin-tackular. Defensively I think they will improve and be a real threat for the district championship next year. They could have played a pansie schedule and had a better record this year, but instead they played nothing but good teams. We can't say that in Snyder. We had some really lopsided wins in pre-district, and lost to Big Spring in week 1. Nothing against Big Spring, but we never sould have let them beat us. My point is, Brownwood took a hard road into an extreamly tough district. They are a very good football team, and if they would have made it into the playoffs this year, they would very possibly go deep and be playing a few weeks longer. I'm glad we squeeked by em, and ever glader that the QB is a senior.

etbu
11-08-2008, 07:44 PM
You guys have a great tradition and hopefully you will it going next year.