PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater Reporter pregame article.

Sweetwater Red
11-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Sweetwater, Wylie meet to decide district title

Written by Ron Howell

Thursday, 06 November 2008

Although their football programs both have a long history of success, neither Sweetwater or Wylie was favored by most of the preaseason experts to win the District 2-3A title this season. Brownwood was the consensus choice, not only because it was dropping from Class 4A but also because the Lions were returning the bulk of their talent from a team that in 2007 had beaten good Mustang and Bulldog squads and also had additional motivation after missing the playoffs.
Wylie was picked to finish either second or third by most of the pollsters, and Sweetwater — well, the Mustangs weren't even expected to reach the postseason.
But going into the final week of the 2008 regular season, the "experts" predictions have al-ready blown up in their faces. Not only are Wylie and Sweet-water tied for the District 2-3A lead, but Brownwood is facing an uphill battle just to make it to the playoffs. And on Friday, Sweetwater and Wylie will meet at Mustang Bowl to decide the outright district champion.
Both teams have managed perfect 4-0 records while playing in a district that has more teams with playoff traditions than perhaps any in the state. Last week, Sweetwater out-scored Brownwood 56-41 and Wylie kept pace with a 34-7 win over Graham.
The Mustangs scored on eight of 11 possessions against Brownwood, which crushed Sweetwater 55-7 in a non-district game the previous year. Sweetwater had season highs in rushing yards (523) and points and got touchdowns from six different players, including three by Steven Fields.
Sweetwater's four district games have all been decided by 15 points or less, while Wylie's first three victories in District 2-3A prior to facing Graham last week were by a total of just 18 points. Neither team had any soft spots on their pre-district schedule either. Sweetwater lost to Burkburnett before narrowly getting past Seminole and Monahans and then beating good Clyde and Big Spring squads to end its non-district schedule. Wylie — currently ranked ninth in the state — lost to Liberty Hill, the No. 1-ranked team in 3A, and to Frenship, which is No. 7 in Class 4A, by a total of just eight points and beat another very good 3A team, Waco La Vega, as well as Canyon and Vernon prior to district.
Sweetwater and Wylie have already locked up playoff berths. The Mustangs will enter the postseason as their district's top seed in the Division II bracket, regardless of Friday's outcome. Wylie has qualified as District 2-3A's No. 1 seed in the Division I playoffs. This is the first time the teams have met to decide the district championship in the final game of the season.
Sweetwater will honor its seniors prior to the start of the contest. "We encourage people to show up early to honor our seniors, and then stay and be loud," said coach Kent Jackson. "It ought to be a lot of fun fighting for the gold ball."
Sweetwater's chances may depend on its ability to hold onto the ball against Wylie. The Mustangs had no turnovers against Brownwood after committing 10 in the previous three weeks. Wylie came up with six turnovers against Graham this past week.
The Mustangs again spread the wealth around running the ball, with Fields gaining a season-best 167 yards to lead the way. Daniel Jackson picked up 88 yards to break the 1,000-yard barrier (1,047) for the season. Quarterback Zach Birdwell added 84 yards while A.J. McCoy had 73, Rufus McCann 67 and B.J. Walker 40. All of them found the end zone in the high-scoring victory over Brownwood.
For the second straight time, Birdwell did not have to attempt a pass because of the potent rushing attack.
Wylie limited Graham to 203 yards, about one-third of its total in a 59-41 victory over Brownwood a week earlier, and led the Steers 27-0 at halftime. The Bulldogs didn't have big offensive numbers, running for 149 yards and throwing for 92, but were still effective. Kris Gilmore led Wylie by rushing for 84 yards on 18 carries and QBs Matt Preston and Jackson Minor were a combined 10-of-15 with two touchdowns, one to Jon Miller and the other to Rayce Burks. Austin Gray kicked a pair of second-quarter field goals as well as all four extra points.
The district's No. 3 playoff spot is still up for grabs as Snyder (2-2), Graham (1-3) and Brownwood (1-3) are still in the running. Snyder can clinch a berth with a victory on Friday against Brownwood, while the Lions must beat the Tigers and also hope last-place Brecken-ridge (0-4) beats Graham to earn a spot.

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/view/118538/122/

Sweetwater Red
11-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Here's the ARN's take on the game.

http://reporternews.com/news/2008/nov/06/bulldogs-mustangs-clash-for-district-2-3a-title/?partner=RSS

Bulldogs, Mustangs clash for District 2-3A title

Thursday, November 6, 2008

With a schedule featuring games against a number of top-10 teams, the Wylie football team has been part of several intriguing matchups this season.

But none of those contests compare to the test the Bulldogs face tonight when they take on Sweetwater at the Mustang Bowl for the District 2-3A championship.

With Brownwood, Snyder and Wylie also in the district, the Mustangs weren't a popular preseason choice to compete for the league title. But all they've done this season is go 8-1 and look as dominant defensively as any Class 3A school in the state.

The Mustangs (4-0 in league play) come into the game riding high after winning their last eight games. But they'll run into a Wylie team (7-2, 4-0) that has won six straight and has looked pretty impressive as well.

"It's just kind of a deal where it couldn't have been scripted any better than this when we sat there and drew the schedule out in February," Wylie coach Hugh Sandifer said of the matchup. "Both teams, I'm sure, will be playing at their best Friday night."

The strength of both teams is defense. Even after allowing 41 to Brownwood, the Mustangs are surrendering just 15.2 points per game. And led by standout linebacker Jesse Jennings, Wylie has allowed just 18.8 points per contest.

With these two defenses, the first team to 20 could be the victory.

Daniel Youngblood's pick: Wylie 21, Sweetwater 17

nobogey72
11-07-2008, 03:54 PM
I really don't even want to make a prediction on this game. My guess is that points are going to be hard to come by, for either team. :thinking: But, soon as I say that, it will turn into a track meet. And, I don't like our chances if it does. Now, take that and about 7$ and you can get you a Double/Double at the Whataburger in Brownwood. :rolleyes:

Sweetwater Red
11-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
I really don't even want to make a prediction on this game. My guess is that points are going to be hard to come by, for either team. :thinking: But, soon as I say that, it will turn into a track meet. And, I don't like our chances if it does.

I agree. I felt we had one of the strongest 3A defenses in West
Texas until I witnessed what Brownwood was able to do it. If
ya'll get up by two scores...and that's something ya'll seem to
always do against us...we'll be in trouble.

STANG RED
11-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Just a little more than 4 hours till kick off.
Man thats gonna be a long 4 hours!

GetRDoneStangs
11-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Just a little more than 4 hours till kick off.
Man thats gonna be a long 4 hours!

There is a chili supper before the game.......

Oh wait, we don't have the new restrooms yet!!!:D :D

garciap77
11-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs

LOL

BTW Is it ture that Nobogey is cooking?

Sweetwater Red
11-07-2008, 04:33 PM

Are you kidding me? Do you actually think Stang Red cares if
there is a door on the stall?:thinking:

GetRDoneStangs
11-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
LOL

BTW Is it ture that Nobogey is cooking?

Yea, but that for the Mustangs pre-game meal!:D

garciap77
11-07-2008, 04:35 PM