PDA

View Full Version : Question for Old Cardinal?

QB85
10-31-2002, 11:32 AM
In looking at Bridge City's stats for each game, it seems that Newton was the only team to hold Peebles under 100 yards rushing. In doing so, they came away with a win. Did other teams not take notice to that or were they just not able to key on him and shut him down? I didn't add all the game totals up, but how many yards does he have for the year? Good luck the rest of the year and looking forward to a good game the first round. Where do you think we would play should it shake out that way? Go Eagles!

Old Cardinal
10-31-2002, 02:49 PM
Your answer: Newton is extremely fast on defense-they were able to key several players on Matt and shut him down! Other people have tried and that just turns Michael"The Moose" Gauthier loose with the ball. Michael has more yards than Peebles in a number of games. There is more yardage available for Lance Fitts, Gauthier and a half dozen others by using Peebles as a decoy most of the time. That Newton game was actually a defensive battle to some extent- Newton had only 8-10 first downs and BC had 3. Newton toughed it out and scored, then Logan Greer threw a most beautiful TD pass, right before the half. The other score came on the last play of the ballgame. Newton definately deserved the game- they shut BCs offense down that night...... Usually, they let Peebles or Knight score about three, then they rotate in a number of players- 2nd, 3rd, even JV in about 5 or 6 positions on offense and defense. They let the score climb up close, if it happens-then he lets Peebles back in, to score again. I watched the whole bench play most of the second half last week. Instead of subbing back in his starters he lets the subs battle it out, even if the other team scores a time or two. At first, H-F and HJ ran the score almost to a win for then! But it must be paying off, because he actually ran JV in against Orangefield in the second quarter.The score ended 36-0. Then again the same tactics lately produced shutouts of 42-0(Hardin) and 35-0(Kountze). That tells me these subs are gaining skills at the varsity level. Against BH it might be very different, but if the teams suffers several key injuries, they have seasoned proven subs to stand in the gap..... Tell us about BH, the last game I watched was against Cleveland. Any injuries or those able to return from injury?

QB85
10-31-2002, 03:31 PM
Sounds to me like BC is very deep! Should help tremendously in the playoffs! As for BH, were still without our best defensive back who went out with a knee injury in a scrimmage before the regular season started. If there is a weak spot on the D that would be it but we've had some young kids step up and are playing really well now. Overall the defense is very quick and very strong. They love to hit and hit very hard. The offense seems to get better every week. Perry Carrington, Brian Cummings and James Northcutt are all running the ball very well. You can't just key on one person....if you do one of the other guys will burn you. Seems to me like we match up pretty evenly. Just hate to see that match-up so early in the playoffs.

RBARKER
10-31-2002, 03:59 PM
As far as I know the Eagles are pretty healthy at this point. BH also uses Perry C. as an decoy during the tougher games. This seems to open up the passing game and also allows our fullback to gain alot of yards. BH's coaching staff seems to be doing a better job of making adjustments when the Eagles get in trouble. This team is starting to come together more and more. The last 3 games were against good 3A teams and the Eagles have came together and played their best football thus far. With the next two games coming against weaker apponents the Eagles should be able to work on their depth before heading into the playoffs. At the begining of the year I Think BC had the better team as of right now BH is as good or better than the Cardinals. The match between the two should be a barn burner. on offense BC has the advantage on the ground but BH has a better throwing game. On defense I thnk both team are about even so I see a low scoring game probally 21-14 ethier way. I know I'm bias on this subject but maybe someone could give their out side opinion of how this game may turn out.

Old Cardinal
10-31-2002, 04:44 PM
I don't think any one knows what will happen. BC is shutting out folks and BH is scoring real well. I still can't believe BC handled Orangefield so well. And I was quite proud of the way BH smoked that Coldspring team. That's why we play the games. I kind of gets me how they marvel about the Lindale's, Atlanta's, Gainesville's, Spring Hills etc: and only talk about Region III as Jasper & Newton. Region III is loaded with top flight teams with no recognition-but that is the way it usually is!

QB85
10-31-2002, 05:00 PM
Your right, we won't know until the game is played out. Not speaking for BC, but I think that BH gets little respect in Region III because we haven't gone that deep into the playoffs. Newton usually goes pretty deep before getting knocked out. I think the winner of our game can win the second round fairly easily against either Elgin or Navasota, but then comes Jasper. You never know!?

Old Cardinal
10-31-2002, 05:37 PM
To QB85: I would hope that we would play at PNG stadium or Lamar University field. Your other question-- Peeble's gets 9.4 yards per carry and has gained around 1200 yards(that includes about 50 yards against Newton, in the average). The difference is Matt will flat run over you, once he gets up a head of steam! Knight hits his receivers with deadly accuracy; however, the fleet underclassmen have dropped a lot of TDs. They are now rotating some of the seasoned Seniors in at splits and they seem to have less trouble catching the TD type throws. I look for Fitts, Knight, and Gauthier to have a big night against BH.

Bobkat
10-31-2002, 05:39 PM
Not making any excuses in Orangefield's loss to Bridge City, but that was a really screwed up week. That was the same week that everyone evacuated for the hurricane and Orangefield only had one good day of practice to prepare for the Cards. A team like Orangefield needs that entire week to prepare a gameplan and practice to execute it. They don't have the same type of talent that BC has. Bridge City was in the same boat, but with Bridge City's talent level they had an apparent advantage. Every week OF has a great game plan, but that week one day wasn't really enough to get ready for a team like Bridge City. And it definetly showed as Orangefield really struggled that night. Given a full week I believe it's a closer game. Not saying OF would have beat BC, because I personally don't believe we would have beat them, but like Old Cardinal said..."that's why we play the games".

<small>[ October 31, 2002, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Bobkat ]</small>

Old Cardinal
10-31-2002, 11:01 PM
To BobKat: Do you remember when you and I were being laughed at for saying that OF would make the playoffs? Well it looks like they will be the 2nd team in the District not the 3rd. My heart went out to kids like John Derr as they exited the field that night...Yea, They picked up a program that had been stunned and had the resolve to come storming back....Could you tell us who you will play in the first couple of playoff games?

LLEDASF
11-01-2002, 08:45 AM
I heard that Coach Tarver told one of the BH coaches earlier in the year that if BC/BH do play he would rather play on artificial turf. I think that pretty much rules out the Beaumont area, unless Lamar has turf, but what kind of shape is their turf in? I haven't heard of anyone playing a football game there in awhile. I heard there is a possibility of the new multi-million Galena Park stadium. I've driven by it and it is very nice. Pasadena Memorial could also be a possibility.

ej2525
11-01-2002, 09:35 AM
Lamar Univ. does not have turf unless they have had turf installed in the past couple of years since I have last been there. There are only a few games played there each year by the Beaumont schools and some playoff games are played there. If BC did elect to play of artificial turf it would have to be in the Houston area a bit closer to BH's home turf.