PDA

View Full Version : UT player removed from the team

wimbo_pro
11-07-2008, 10:59 AM
I know the other thread on this topic was closed, and I understand why. I ask that the mods allow me to post this, as someone who personally knows this young man, and his family.

Ask anyone who knows him, and they are totally shocked. You all know that these young men vary in character...from loud-mouthed, cocky ones to kind, respectful and gentle ones. Well, he is definitely the latter... a great kid and student, respectful, accepting and kind. I dont say this just because he is from Wimberley...I am telling you this because it is absolutely true. There is not one person who would tell you they think he is a racist or a biggot...just the opposite...he stood against such things, and was accepting of EVERYONE he met, according to kids who went to school with him for years, and according to my small interaction with him and his quality parents.

BBDE hit the nail on the head...he probably heard it and thought it was funny, repeated it on the web, and thats it. I know some of you might say "oh bull, if he said it, he meant it". Well, I would say to you "when you were 20 yrs old, did you say things that you now look back on and regret or didnt truly understand the implications, in the name of humor?". Did you ever repeat a joke that was on the edge? i know I did.

The difference nowadays is that instead of a small group hearing or reading it, you now have millions. He must now pay the price.

I will leave the discussion of whether or not the punishment was just for another day and another thread...I just wanted you guys to know from someone who knows that this young man is a great person, truly regrets his mistake, and will be a man about it. He will come out the other end just fine, and hopefully others will learn from his mistake.

hsfootballfan
11-07-2008, 11:12 AM
A lot of young people just don't realize what the consequences can be for taking an action until it's too late. Even something as seemingly innocent as repeating what someone else said can be dangerous in this technological world we live in. It's a hard lesson to learn, and I'm sorry that it happened to him. I wish him the best in the future.

JasperDog94
11-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Like I said in the other thread, I thought his statement was more political (gun control) than racial.

headhunter
11-07-2008, 11:20 AM
What if Colt McCoy would have done this? I bet their would have been an excuse saying someone hacked in on his facebook account and posted this comment.

The comment was "hunters get your gun out"

I think someone can justify that into saying protecting your guns.

I bet Colt would not have been suspended.

pirate4state
11-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Former Longhorns lineman apologizes for racial slur after Obama wins
Associated Press

Updated: November 6, 2008, 8:35 PM ET

AUSTIN, Texas -- Former Texas backup lineman Buck Burnette apologized Thursday for posting a racial slur on his Facebook page about Barack Obama being elected president.
Burnette, a sophomore who played in seven games this season, left the No. 5 Longhorns on Wednesday. The team said Burnette violated team rules but would not elaborate.
His Facebook page had been deleted Thursday.
In a statement sent to The Associated Press, Burnette said he "made a terrible decision" to post a text message he received about Obama's victory that contained a racial slur.
"That lack of judgment on my part has had devastating consequences," the statement read. "Those that know me understand that this is not a true reflection of my character. I sincerely apologize to everyone that I have offended. I have had the opportunity to apologize to my teammates and coaches and have received support from many of them in return."
Burnette started one game at center in 2007 as a redshirt freshman and was a high school star at Wimberley High School, near Austin.Former Longhorns lineman apologizes for racial slur after Obama wins.