PDA

View Full Version : Texas Tech/ Oklahoma St

eagles_victory
11-07-2008, 10:16 AM
This is going to be a really good game. Oklahoma St. has one of the better running games in the Big 12 and some huge recievers to throw it up to. Tech answered any questions about them last Saturday night this one should be another great Saturday night game in Lubbock. Last years 49-45 game was a barnburner

OldBison75
11-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Tech will be hard pressed to play with the intensity and emotion they had last week. OK Lite has the offensive weapons to put alot of points on the board. Whose pass rush and pass defense will be the strongest?

This game will come down to which defense is able to put enough pressure on the opposing QB. If either team can cause the opposing QB to rush a few passes and make a mistake or two, they will win.

On emotions only, because OK Lite has seen Texas and Texas Tech leapfrog other BCS schools by beating higher ranked teams, OK Lite looks to be this week's lucky dog.

Call the electric company and put them on standby, it's gonna take alot of power to light all the lights on the scoreboard in this one.

OK Lite 56
Tech 52

jason
11-07-2008, 10:27 AM
if/when tech loses - whether or not they SHOULD be below texas, do voters/polls drop them below texas anyways?

OldBison75
11-07-2008, 10:36 AM
I think it will all depend on the loss and how they play in the loss. Right now, I think it will be hard for Tech to maintain the intensity to win any of their remaining games in easily. But, if they play well in every game and happen to lose one in a close, hard fought match, I think they should stay above Texas. If they have a bad night against OK or OK Lite and get beat easily, Texas will probably jump them easily because of the closeness of the Tech game.

Plus, pollsters will look at the potientials of bowl matchups, whether they admit it or not. Polls are not always indicative of the realities of the game.

If Tech wins out, they should be playing for a National Championship. A loss does not lock them out, but give pollsters the chance to play a little with their rankings.

Texasfootball2
11-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by OldBison75
I think it will all depend on the loss and how they play in the loss. Right now, I think it will be hard for Tech to maintain the intensity to win any of their remaining games in easily. But, if they play well in every game and happen to lose one in a close, hard fought match, I think they should stay above Texas. If they have a bad night against OK or OK Lite and get beat easily, Texas will probably jump them easily because of the closeness of the Tech game.

Plus, pollsters will look at the potientials of bowl matchups, whether they admit it or not. Polls are not always indicative of the realities of the game.

If Tech wins out, they should be playing for a National Championship. A loss does not lock them out, but give pollsters the chance to play a little with their rankings.

I wish I could agree with you but I think the BCS is waiting for the opportunity to put Texas or USC back in the national championship picture. If Tech loses I think they will fall at least to 8, but if Tech only has one loss I think they will still get a BCS bowl. This game is huge because with a win over OSU, they could still make the Big 12 championship game even if they were to lose at OU, because OU has to go to Stillwater the week after they play Tech and play OSU. IF OU were to lose that game Tech would be in the Championship game anyway. Go Red Raiders this Sat.

3afan
11-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by jason
if/when tech loses - whether or not they SHOULD be below texas, do voters/polls drop them below texas anyways?

no doubt about that ...

OldBison75
11-07-2008, 11:11 AM
You may be right, but I think it would be very difficult to justify that big a drop if the loss is to Oklahoma or OK Lite is a squeaker loss.

I think Tech is a top 5 team even if they lose one of those games. If they win out they should be 1 or 2. If they lose one, they should not drop below #5.

I see the logic you use and I was saying the same thing about the pollsters being able to raise UT or USC if Tech loses by a touchdown or more.

My feelings is that Texas , Tech, and OK Lite are all top5 teams. Oklahoma is a borderline top 5. Alabama is number 1 by virtue of having the spot and they will have to lose to drop. Penn State is #4 or 5 in my opinion.

RMAC
11-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Zac Robinson is a great QB and Dez Bryant is a great receiver. Their #'s speak for themselves. If you look at Zac's completions though, 69 of his 110 are to Bryant, next their TE has 21, after that, none have more than 9. I think if you can shut down Bryant, you have MUCH better shot at winning. For Tech, I think this one comes down to shutting down Bryant, accepting the fact you're going to give up yards on the ground, and winning the battle on the O and D lines. If Tech can do that, I think we can pull out the win. Also, like I said last week, we need to make the OSU receivers pay for going across the middle. I thought we did a pretty good job of that last week.

JasperDog94
11-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by OldBison75
If Tech wins out, they should be playing for a National Championship. A loss does not lock them out... I think it does. Texas, by their win over OU, Missouri, and OSU would jump over Tech. After all, Texas beat OU by 2 scores, held off OSU late, and handled Missouri. If their only loss is on a last second play to a top 10 team, they will be above a 1 loss Tech.

Having said that, Tech has the opportunity to make that a non issue.

solocam
11-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Okie State game will be close and could go either way
However the Sooners will blow em out of the water in Norman

Texasfootball2
11-07-2008, 12:38 PM
I think UT's win over Missouri is no longer being considered that quality of a win ecspecially after Missouri only beat Baylor by 3 points. I think it has become obvious that Missouri was highly overrated.

Eagle 1
11-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Why are texas and ou being brought up in Tech/Ok State thread?
Sounds more like wishful thinking/hoping that Tech will lose.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7602/wishuponastaryq0.jpg

Actually I think OSU will be tougher than OU.
Tech 45
OSU 35

JasperDog94
11-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
I think UT's win over Missouri is no longer being considered that quality of a win ecspecially after Missouri only beat Baylor by 3 points. I think it has become obvious that Missouri was highly overrated. Maybe overrated as a top 10 team, but they are still 7-2 and in the top 15. Every team has a letdown game. At least they won theirs (Florida).;)

JasperDog94
11-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
Why are texas and ou being brought up in Tech/Ok State thread?
Because there are big 12 title implications involved in this game and the future games involving tech.:)

eagles_victory
11-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
Zac Robinson is a great QB and Dez Bryant is a great receiver. Their #'s speak for themselves. If you look at Zac's completions though, 69 of his 110 are to Bryant, next their TE has 21, after that, none have more than 9. I think if you can shut down Bryant, you have MUCH better shot at winning. For Tech, I think this one comes down to shutting down Bryant, accepting the fact you're going to give up yards on the ground, and winning the battle on the O and D lines. If Tech can do that, I think we can pull out the win. Also, like I said last week, we need to make the OSU receivers pay for going across the middle. I thought we did a pretty good job of that last week. The tight end is a great player his catches would be higher had he not missed a few games. Watch out for Damien Davis in this one for Oklahoma St he is a big play threat that could compliment Bryant. I cant wait for this game

LH Panther Mom
11-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Because there are big 12 title implications involved in this game and the future games involving tech.:)
Well, it needs to stop! This is a Tech/OSU thread. :)

JasperDog94
11-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Well, it needs to stop! This is a Tech/OSU thread. :) :hijacktd:

Texasfootball2
11-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Maybe overrated as a top 10 team, but they are still 7-2 and in the top 15. Every team has a letdown game. At least they won theirs (Florida).;)

7-2 yes, but they don't have a real quality win yet. They have only played two teams that are top 20 quality and they have lost both of them. Their best wins are over Illinois (5-4 in weak Big 10) and Colorado (4-5, 1-4 in the Big 12). They are still rated becuase they were ranked in the top 5 at one time and their losses are to two quality teams. They were very overrated and the Big 12 North is weak. They will probably make it to the Big 12 Championship game and get royaly spanked by whoever gets there from the south division.

Eagle 1
11-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by solocam

Hows that working out?:)

sinton66
11-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Stick a fork in Okie State, they're done.

Eagle 1
11-08-2008, 11:30 PM
BTW, people have got to blind if they think Colt McCoy is a better qb than Graham Harrell.

Txbroadcaster
11-08-2008, 11:56 PM
BTW, people have got to blind if they think Colt McCoy is a better qb than Graham Harrell.

Dont think it is conclusive 100% for either QB to be honest

Eagle 1
11-09-2008, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Dont think it is conclusive 100% for either QB to be honest
I'm not talking about the Heisman.
Harrell is the best qb in college football with his reads, accuracy, confidence etc.
Somebody is going to get a good qb in the NFL, and not just another "system" qb. (wished it was Dallas)
IMO, he is one of the most accurate qb's I have ever seen, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a Tech fan.

From the Tech site:
Harrell finished 40-of-50 for 456 yards and six touchdowns. He lost two fumbles but didn't throw an interception and wasn't sacked. He was rarely even pressured as Texas Tech won its 12th straight game, the longest streak in the nation and best in school history.

BobcatBenny
11-09-2008, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by solocam
However the Sooners will blow em out of the water in Norman
I had sort of thought I had wishful thinking when I looked at Tech's game in Norman and thought, "If only Tech could win that game."

Well, Tech has a lot of confidence and they are playing very well. I no longer think it is wishful thinking that Tech could beat OU in Norman. It would still be a great win for Tech, but Tech certainly could win that game.

So, go ahead and make your blow out predictions, but that now appears to fall on the side of wishful thinking.

Tech actually appears to be for real. And ... I for one could not be happier. :D :D :D :D :D

Txbroadcaster
11-09-2008, 12:10 AM
I'm not talking about the Heisman.
Harrell is the best qb in college football with his reads, accuracy, confidence etc.
Somebody is going to get a good qb in the NFL, and not just another "system" qb. (wished it was Dallas)
IMO, he is one of the most accurate qb's I have ever seen, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a Tech fan.

From the Tech site:
Harrell finished 40-of-50 for 456 yards and six touchdowns. He lost two fumbles but didn't throw an interception and wasn't sacked. He was rarely even pressured as Texas Tech won its 12th straight game, the longest streak in the nation and best in school history.

I was not talking about the Heisman either..I think both are great QBs I dont think one is obviously head and shoulders better than the other

I think both have come from being labeled as College QB only to now being NFL quality by the time they both leave school

Eagle 1
11-09-2008, 12:18 AM
I was not talking about the Heisman either..I think both are great QBs I dont think one is obviously head and shoulders better than the other

I think both have come from being labeled as College QB only to now being NFL quality by the time they both leave school

Of course you thought Vince Young "was" good qb too.:rolleyes:
Harrell continues to out perform McCoy every week. :)

Txbroadcaster
11-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Of course you thought Vince Young "was" good qb too.:rolleyes:
Harrell continues to out perform McCoy every week. :)

ok first not sure what Young has to do with it but ok

Yes Harrell is playing amazing and I think the only way he does not win Heisman is if he had a woefully bad day at OU

OR Him and Crabtree split the vote

I still think Colt is a great QB as well

Both are asked to put the complete offense on their shoulder week after week and both have performed

JR2004
11-09-2008, 01:26 AM
ok first not sure what Young has to do with it but ok

Yes Harrell is playing amazing and I think the only way he does not win Heisman is if he had a woefully bad day at OU

OR Him and Crabtree split the vote

I still think Colt is a great QB as well

Both are asked to put the complete offense on their shoulder week after week and both have performed

Terry why do you even bother? You know this poster's MO.

Personally I like seeing Tech win and hope they are able to win out. I don't know that they'll do that, but it would be cool if they did.

Keith7
11-09-2008, 04:00 AM
how about that former Gainesville Leopard Darcel McBath with an interception, forced fumble, and 5 tackles

Phil C
11-09-2008, 09:37 AM
This should have been on the game and not on who deserves the Heisman Trophy which is overrated anyway and more political than anything else. Congratulations to Texas Tech on a great game and great win. I expected Oklahoma State to be much more competitive and a close game but they just didn't bring it with them. I am almost a believer in Texas Tech this year and will be so if they can defeat Oklahoma in Norman. We will see.
Good luck to the Raiders against Oklahoma.

OldBison75
11-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Tech played remarkably well in a very high pressure game. The Tech defense impresses me more than the offense. Everyone expected the Offense to put up points this year, but I don't think that anyone believed the defense would be so good. No other team in College Football has been able to control the running game of opponents with just the front four, and still put pressure on the opposing QB like tTech has the last two weeks.

As far as the QB argument, both Harrell and McCoy will play at the next level. Both have super potiential but will be only as successful as the program they are drafted into. Harrell will not excell in a smashmouth system that does not depend on the west coast style passing game. McCoy will be more suited to a traditional pro style passing attack. Both are great QB material in the pros but so are about three other QB's in College this year.

Eagle 1
11-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Terry why do you even bother? You know this poster's MO.

And what would that be?

Eagle 1
11-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Somebody posted OSU's defensive playboard. :D

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/6787/okiestateplayboardou5.jpg

pirate4state
11-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Somebody posted OSU's defensive playboard. :D

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/6787/okiestateplayboardou5.jpg

HAHAHAHA