PDA

View Full Version : Rules Question

kepdawg
11-06-2008, 11:20 PM
A player catches the ball and goes out of bounds but the clock does not stop. Why?

3afan
11-06-2008, 11:21 PM
good question !!!! R-H on the end of anther bad call it appears ....

kaorder1999
11-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
good question !!!! R-H on the end of anther bad call it appears ....

forward progress has to carry you out of bounds in order for clock to stop!

kepdawg
11-06-2008, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
forward progress has to carry you out of bounds in order for clock to stop!

He caught the ball the ball, turned, and stepped out of bounds.

kaorder1999
11-06-2008, 11:24 PM
lateral step isnt considered forward progress I believe. If he caught it...turned and tries to get upfield and goes out of bounds it starts....he was coming back to the ball when he caught it

kepdawg
11-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
lateral step isnt considered forward progress I believe. If he caught it...turned and tries to get upfield and goes out of bounds it starts....he was coming back to the ball when he caught it

Looked to me after he landed he turned his step out of bounds was up field.

Stownhorse
11-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Looked to me after he landed he turned his step out of bounds was up field.

judgment

kepdawg
11-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
judgment

Point?

zebrablue2
11-06-2008, 11:37 PM
the point is there ain't no point? would have to be there to actually see it.....:wave:

JR2004
11-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
judgment

Yep it was a judgment call that I didn't agree with. Oh well the good guys won in the end anyhow!

VAMike
11-07-2008, 05:02 AM
If he was coming back to the ball or not, if he ran lateral or not, neither make any difference if he was not contacted by an opponent. If he did either of those 2 things and on his own, went OOB, clock should stop. If he is being contacted by a defender and driven backwards or laterally, then clock would not stop.

crzyjournalist03
11-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Doesn't the NFL run the clock on out-of-bounds plays until the final five minutes of a half?

VAMike
11-07-2008, 01:21 PM
I do not know about NFL but in college , we stop the clock for the player out of bounds but restart it on the ready for play except inside the last 2 minutes of a half when it would stay stopped. That college rule was not adopted bythe UIL this season and frankly I do not think it will be adopted for the forseeable future

JasperDog94
11-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Doesn't the NFL run the clock on out-of-bounds plays until the final five minutes of a half? I think that is a new rule this year. After all, the last thing we need is longer NFL games.:rolleyes:

BILLYFRED0000
11-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
A player catches the ball and goes out of bounds but the clock does not stop. Why?

Main reason is that the ref determines forward progress. Many times when catching at the sideline they are pushed backwards or are coming back to the ball.

jason
11-07-2008, 02:55 PM
i think its a question of forward progress...

lets say a receiver catches a ball and is past the first down marker, so he has the first down and is still in bounds...

the defenders get to him and push him back behind the first down, and then he goes out of bounds....

i think the refs can and/or will make one of two decisions....

1. give the forward progress, thus giving the team the first down - and keep the clock running....

or

2. not give the forward progress and spot the ball where the player went out of bounds, but then stop the clock....

i dont know if the ref can pick which one to go by, or if they are forced by rule to go by one of the options or the other.........

BleedOrange
11-07-2008, 04:04 PM
The play in question was a clear error by the officiating staff. He caught the ball and stepped out of bounds. By rule the clock should have stopped. The defender had nothing to do with the stopping of forward progress. Its just like a 2 minute drill when the receive catches the ball and steps out of bounds on his own accord. The clock stops.

VAMike
11-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by jason
i think its a question of forward progress...

lets say a receiver catches a ball and is past the first down marker, so he has the first down and is still in bounds...

the defenders get to him and push him back behind the first down, and then he goes out of bounds....

i think the refs can and/or will make one of two decisions....

1. give the forward progress, thus giving the team the first down - and keep the clock running....

or

2. not give the forward progress and spot the ball where the player went out of bounds, but then stop the clock....

i dont know if the ref can pick which one to go by, or if they are forced by rule to go by one of the options or the other.........

You do not have an option. All you have to do is make a judgment if you judge the defender drove him backwards thyen you award forward progress and clock keeps running If you judge defendwer had no impact then you rule runner out of bounds and stop clock