PDA

View Full Version : UT Football Player Dismissed?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-06-2008, 07:59 PM
I heard today that Buck Burnette, a former player for the Texas Longhorns, was dismissed from the team and subject to FBI investigations after something that he posted on Facebook. Anybody else heard that?

BreckTxLonghorn
11-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I heard today that Buck Burnette, a former player for the Texas Longhorns, was dismissed from the team and subject to FBI investigations after something that he posted on Facebook. Anybody else heard that?

FBI part isn't true. He has been dismissed from the team. That's what you get for being an idiot. He deserved it.

garciap77
11-06-2008, 08:03 PM
A player has been cut from the University of Texas' football roster because of remarks he made on his Facebook page about President-elect Barack Obama, according to the Austin American-Statesman.

The newspaper reports that the dismissal of backup center Buck Burnette has been confirmed by a person close to the team. The American-Statesman also says that, according to people who saw Burnette's Facebook page, he updated it shortly after Obama's election was confirmed and wrote that hunters should get their guns.

The page has since been deleted from Facebook, but the American-Statesman says that before it was taken down Burnette wrote an apology that said, "Clearly I was in the wrong for what I did and I apologize for being a sore loser."

Coming out of high school in Texas, the 6-2, 305-pound Burnette was considered one of the state's top prospects among offensive linemen.

Posted by Tom Weir at 04:50 PM/ET, November 06, 2008 in College football | Permalink

That's what I read!

Gobbler Fan
11-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Not much else Mack Brown could do ....dumb move by this kid . I read what he posted and it was not what you would want your team to be subject to in the locker room .

JasperDog94
11-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
... wrote that hunters should get their guns. I must admit that when I first read this I thought he was talking about buying guns now because Obama might try to restrict gun ownership.

garciap77
11-06-2008, 08:10 PM
"Clearly I was in the wrong for what I did and I apologize for being a sore loser."

I wonder what he wrote about TECH!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-06-2008, 08:26 PM
I sincerely believe that he wasn't trying to be racist, but instead trying to be funny and make a joke about it. Sure, it was in poor taste, but that young man has worked hard to get to where he is and achieve what he has and I don't think it was fair to have that taken away from him. I could be completely wrong, but I don't think it was said in malice, just in poor taste.

garciap77
11-06-2008, 09:07 PM
I sincerely believe that he wasn't trying to be racist, but instead trying to be funny and make a joke about it. Sure, it was in poor taste, but that young man has worked hard to get to where he is and achieve what he has and I don't think it was fair to have that taken away from him. I could be completely wrong, but I don't think it was said in malice, just in poor taste.

I agree with you! Most young men say things they do not mean! That's just part of growing up! Always be careful what you say, write, or post in any form! It can come back and bit you later!

Txbroadcaster
11-06-2008, 09:16 PM

intent does not matter..He is a representive of the school and in this case a bad one. Now in saying that I am surprised he was kicked off entirely. UNLESS it is a we will kick you off now stay clean and come spring we will allow you back on

To many people assume free speech means say what ya want. But you have to be mindful when you represent not only yourself, but your school

coachkiss
11-06-2008, 09:18 PM
The entirety of his remarks were...

edited per our rules ~ p4s.

A horrible statement and a horrible decision on his part. However, it is 100% the right actions on Mack Brown's part.

Txbroadcaster
11-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by coachkiss
The entirety of his remarks were...

A horrible statement and a horrible decision on his part. However, it is 100% the right actions on Mack Brown's part.

He might have been kicked off the team to save his butt from his fellow Longhorns

Gobbler Fan
11-06-2008, 09:25 PM
To further speculation about why this happened, I can only see two scenarios. Others may think of more but for arguments sake here are the two most likley:

A) This was a stupid, offhand, thoughtless remark made in jest by a kid from a small town in west Texas where such humor may be tolerated. Unfortunately for him it was broadcast on the internet, outing him as a closet racist to the world at large. In other words, it was a joke, a very bad one, which he made public and in doing so failed to think of the possible consequences given his current surroundings.

B) His remark was serious making him no better than the skin head scum in Tennessee that were going to on a killing rampage and then kill Obama. I think this is the least likely since outward signs of his overt racism would have been apparent to the team long before this but its a possibility.

Regardless of whether it was A or B, Mack's got to go to send a clear signal of intolerance to racism by the team, staff and school administration.

JR2004
11-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
To further speculation about why this happened, I can only see two scenarios. Others may think of more but for arguments sake here are the two most likley:

A) This was a stupid, offhand, thoughtless remark made in jest by a kid from a small town in west Texas where such humor may be tolerated. Unfortunately for him it was broadcast on the internet, outing him as a closet racist to the world at large. In other words, it was a joke, a very bad one, which he made public and in doing so failed to think of the possible consequences given his current surroundings.

B) His remark was serious making him no better than the skin head scum in Tennessee that were going to on a killing rampage and then kill Obama. I think this is the least likely since outward signs of his overt racism would have been apparent to the team long before this but its a possibility.

Regardless of whether it was A or B, Mack's got to go to send a clear signal of intolerance to racism by the team, staff and school administration.

I believe Burnette played for Wimberley.

He absolutely 100 percent deserved to get kicked off the team. Mack acted quickly and got him out of there. I can only imagine how things would've went for him with his fellow teammates had he remained as a part of the team.

BOCEPHUS
11-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan

like the message he sent to ced benson when he went and kicKed in a door to get his stuff back!!!
or was that the case, was it his stuff...and that was why he took thelaw into his own hands..........but heck i believe in 'frontier justice" also beleive in "frontier humor"

I'MA GUESSING SOMEBODY BE NEEDED SOME 4X4'S OR MAYBE 4X6'S BUILD A BIG OLE BRIDGE

Txbroadcaster
11-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by BOCEPHUS
like the message he sent to ced benson when he went and kicKed in a door to get his stuff back!!!
or was that the case, was it his stuff...and that was why he took thelaw into his own hands..........but heck i believe in 'frontier justice" also beleive in "frontier humor"

I'MA GUESSING SOMEBODY BE NEEDED SOME 4X4'S OR MAYBE 4X6'S BUILD A BIG OLE BRIDGE

Different era of the program and to be honest different situation

I dont think this kid would be welcome back in the locker room after what he said

Panther One
11-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Is racism worse than breaking the law? This is a serious question. I don't condone either, but Mack has welcomed criminals back to this team, so kicking a player off for racist remarks posted on facebook makes it appear that in Coach Mack Brown's opinion, a racist comment is indeed worse than breaking the law.

Now for my next question: if Burnette had made a similar remark towards Hispanics, Asians, or Middle Easterns on facebook, would he would have received the same punishment? If a minority player had made racist comments about Caucasians, or even other minority races, would there be the same punishment? If a star player does this, is he kicked off the team? Nobody knows the answer to those questions, but society does seem to have a double standard when it comes to racism, and who you are often determines the severity of the punishment you receive.

In my opinion, kicking him off the team was too extreme. What kind of lesson are we teaching here? That if you wrongly use your freedom of speech you get no second chance, but it you have to serve jail time, we'll take you back? Is this John Rocker, part two? We'll give drug users, accused rapists, convicted felons, etc a second chance, but with racism it's one strike and your done?

Here's what should have happened. Buck should have apologized to his entire team, not as a group, but on an individual basis. He should have been required to attend sensitivity training on a weekly basis, he should have been suspended for the remainder of the season, and behind the scenes, he should have had to run his butt off. The kid made a mistake. Help him learn from it.

I would love to see Obama step in and ask for his reinstatement on the team with stipulations similar to mine above. While Burnette's remarks were insensitive and ignorant, I think it would be awesome for the person whom Burnette targeted and obviously does not like, to step in and also be the person who gives back what he lost. I think that would send a pretty strong message.

JR2004
11-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
Is racism worse than breaking the law? This is a serious question. I don't condone either, but Mack has welcomed criminals back to this team, so kicking a player off for racist remarks posted on facebook makes it appear that in Coach Mack Brown's opinion, a racist comment is indeed worse than breaking the law.

Now for my next question: if Burnette had made a similar remark towards Hispanics, Asians, or Middle Easterns on facebook, would he would have received the same punishment? If a minority player had made racist comments about Caucasians, or even other minority races, would there be the same punishment? If a star player does this, is he kicked off the team? Nobody knows the answer to those questions, but society does seem to have a double standard when it comes to racism, and who you are often determines the severity of the punishment you receive.

In my opinion, kicking him off the team was too extreme. What kind of lesson are we teaching here? That if you wrongly use your freedom of speech you get no second chance, but it you have to serve jail time, we'll take you back? Is this John Rocker, part two? We'll give drug users, accused rapists, convicted felons, etc a second chance, but with racism it's one strike and your done?

Here's what should have happened. Buck should have apologized to his entire team, not as a group, but on an individual basis. He should have been required to attend sensitivity training on a weekly basis, he should have been suspended for the remainder of the season, and behind the scenes, he should have had to run his butt off. The kid made a mistake. Help him learn from it.

I would love to see Obama step in and ask for his reinstatement on the team with stipulations similar to mine above. While Burnette's remarks were insensitive and ignorant, I think it would be awesome for the person whom Burnette targeted and obviously does not like, to step in and also be the person who gives back what he lost. I think that would send a pretty strong message.

Uhh...Oooookay...

Mack did what he thought was best for his team and he made a good decision.

Go ask Tim Hardaway about running your mouth about a group of people. You screw up as bad as Hardaway did or as bad as this player did and you have no one to blame but yourself.

AAA87
11-06-2008, 11:39 PM
I think you have to look at the locker room and what this could do to the TEAM. Remember you have to be very careful when handling gigantic testosterone guys in the locker room. I think this may of been harsh to be let go completely from the team, but this could also of started a sort of civil war in the locker room unless this guy was known for this type of joking or they had been joking before this was posted. Maybe the locker room was really divided and Mack knew the problems this would cause. I would assume Mack has to make sure the temperment in the locker room is at ease so as not to ruin the rest of the season. I have seen it both ways...i was on a team of 105 athletes, 75 being scholarship and i was 1, you read it right 1, that was not black or white. It was very easy for me to get along with both races. I did see times where things got heated over something stupid in the locker room and G. T. had to step in and calm the environment. It can get ugly fast. I know every person is important but you have to look out for the big picture. Yes this was prolly a silly statement from a joke he had heard earlier in the race. Heck I have gotten all kinds of texts jokes as of late. I would not forward or post any of them but i cant control what people send me only CONTROL WHAT I SAY OR DO WITH THEM!! That is the key here, we each hold control our own actions, and i guarantee Mack talked to his coaches and higher ups on how to handle this or was told how to handle this......Sad situation for the kid, hopefully he can stay in school and stay on scholarship for the free education. This are my thoughts and only mine and i do not intend to argue this point one way or the other just my two cents....

TxAthlete
11-07-2008, 12:01 AM
I agree with BBDE and most of what pantherone said. He worked very hard to get where he is and made a bad decision. EVERYONE makes bad decisions EVERYDAY, he just made a little worse decision than a lot of kids. I don't know very many adults that are only 20 years old (or so). This is also a case (my opinion of course) of a double standard. I've seen many remarks going the other direction daily, and nothing done about them. Wimberley is a 3A town, I'm sure most of you can relate to what its like growing up in a place like that. To kick him off the team entirely is simply wrong. I agree something harsh should be done, but to remove the man from the football team, and basically force him to another college for his education is a step in the wrong direction. What he said is in very poor taste and totally wrong. However, what are we saying if you are immediately thrown to the wolves for simply expressing your opinion (in poor taste or not)? It would be nice to see Obama step in and discard this as the adolescent mishap it was.

(This is not a complete thought :D :p )

coachkiss
11-07-2008, 12:15 AM
You can't just excuse this kid for his remarks...you also have to think of the repercussions for everyone else.

Would it harm recruiting with African American athletes? Would other coaches use it in negative recruiting? Would parents of kids on the team call Mack and complain? Would some of his teammates despise him? Would there be violence in the locker room? Were African American coaches on the Texas staff offended?

He learned his lesson. Many other people on this board, on the team, at UT, and nationwide have learned a lesson from this. I know that I have.

It was the absolute right thing to do, and you can't excuse the kid based on where he is from, what he heard his dad say, etc. Then we let racism continue one more generation, and you have African Americans voting for an African American because he is an African American, and you have Caucasians voting for Caucasians because they are Caucasian.

The worst stat in this whole election was not the percent of Caucasians voting for McCain, it was the number of African Americans voting for Obama. In most states, it was 95% or greater. In California, over 97% of African Americans voted for Obama. However, the majority of those voters also voted against the gay marriage proposition, even though Obama supported it.

Did many of those people vote for Obama because he was African American and not because of his policies? I think so. If that is the case, we all still have work to do on the racism front. We need to look past color.

For the record, I could understand why an African American would vote for Obama because of his race. It makes the path easier for the next person of color to reach a high office, be it a CEO or President or Dean or Superintendent. I understand that. When we get to the point where people of color are not treated differently, then people of color will never have to vote color themselves.