PDA

View Full Version : Rice Consolidated???

surfspike
09-04-2001, 02:08 AM
Where did they come from??? What is so special about them to be ranked higher than Newton. I've never seen Newton play, but I do know that they have a very solid team every year. Rice who? Personally, I think they are all hype. The predictions will not be fit accordingly for this team.

10bears
09-04-2001, 10:37 AM
8 or 9 starters off a defense that avg. around 150 yds agame last year on a 9-3 team. Most of these have started since soph. year. Plus if they still run Wing T they've got an OC who knows it front & back.
Should be strong this year.

3Aroy
09-04-2001, 05:37 PM
I was lucky enough to see the game when Newton and Rice played last year in the playoffs and Rice gave Newton all they wanted. Newton won the game 14-9. It was filled with defense. I still think Newton will have the better team, but Rice is tough.

Cuerogobbler
09-04-2001, 09:44 PM
I played Rice in a scrimmage this year and i will say that I think they will do very well. They played a really good game and are a very fast team

Specklebelly
09-06-2001, 03:17 PM
Hey surfspike, its not all hype when you return 9 starters off a D that gave up 140 yds a game last year. Thats a fact that causes them to get ranked the way they are. You've never heard of them since they have made the playoffs only 3 times since 1970. There aren't that many appearances due to 1. some pretty horrible teams, and 2. some extremely tough districts. Jst look at this year's district. They had a great team in 1984 but lost to eventual champ Medina Valley in Area. Im gotta give Roys boys some credit though, not sure how they will do against Newton if it comes to that. I am sure though it will be a low scoring, close slugfest.

SintonFan
09-06-2001, 10:21 PM
So how does Rice returning 9 on defense compare to Sinton returning 10 on offense? Cuerogobbler you must of played(or seen) Sinton last year and you scrimmaged Rice this year. What's your take on it? Also, anyone here seen Bandera yet this year?

3Aroy
09-07-2001, 06:28 AM
I am sure if the ten on your offense did anything like that Rice defense did last year, you would be ranked high too. And, it is the defense that wins championships!!!

surfspike
09-07-2001, 05:50 PM
I agree that 9 returning starters is a good way to start the season. I wasnt bashing Rice, but was just curious about them. I bet they are a good team and I wish them luck this year.