PDA

View Full Version : 3A Playoff Picture in Districts 8 , 24, and 25

duckpluck
11-05-2008, 06:18 PM
This was in the Austin American Statesman on Tuesday regarding
3A districts 8 , 24, and 25

District 8-3A

• In: Liberty Hill

• On the bubble: Llano (4-1), Burnet (3-2), Wimberley (3-2)

• Key games: Llano at Liberty Hill, Burnet at Canyon Lake, Fredericksburg at Wimberley

Llano gets in with a win or either a Burnet or Wimberley loss.

Burnet gets in with a win and a Wimberley loss.

Wimberley gets in with a Burnet loss.

If all three bubble teams win, the playoff spots will go to Llano and Wimberley.

A second tiebreaker would come into play if Llano loses and both Wimberley and Burnet win. According to three district coaches, if that scenario plays out, Llano and Burnet would be awarded the two playoff spots.

District 24-3A

• In: Navasota, Cameron Yoe

• On the bubble: Rockdale, Caldwell (both 3-2)

• Key games: Caldwell at Cameron Yoe, Taylor at Rockdale

Rockdale gets in with a win or a Caldwell loss. Caldwell gets in with a win and a Rockdale loss.

District 25-3A

• In: This district's playoff field is set - Bellville, Giddings and Sealy.

Navasota will go Division I.

K-MAC Chuck
11-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by duckpluck

District 8-3A

• Key games: Llano at Liberty Hill, Burnet at Canyon Lake, Fredericksburg at Wimberley

If all three bubble teams win, the playoff spots will go to Llano and Wimberley.

A second tiebreaker would come into play if Llano loses and both Wimberley and Burnet win. According to three district coaches, if that scenario plays out, Llano and Burnet would be awarded the two playoff spots.

So, basically, there's NO sceanrio where Llano DOESN'T make the playoffs...right? Thus, Llano is "in" correct? :D

ziggy29
11-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by K-MAC Chuck
So, basically, there's NO sceanrio where Llano DOESN'T make the playoffs...right? Thus, Llano is "in" correct? :D
I *think* there's a general consensus now that this is true -- 8-3A uses positive points as first tie breaker and in a three-way tie if two are still tied after applying it, head-to-head seems to be the determining factor.

Given all that, yes -- Llano is in. Burnet is probably in. Wimberley has a small chance. And even Fredericksburg has a microscopic chance (at least if the cap on positive points is greater than 14), but so small as to be realistically zero.

Based on my understanding, Burnet is in if: They beat Canyon Lake and LH beats Llano, OR
They beat Canyon Lake and Wimberley loses, OR
Fredericksburg beats Wimberley by less than 15

Wimberley is in if:
They defeat Fredericksburg and Llano defeats LH, OR
Burnet loses to Canyon Lake and they defeat Fredericksburg

Fredericksburg is in if:

Burnet loses to Canyon Lake, AND
Fredericksburg beats Wimberley by 15 points or more

I think I got this correct. But my brain starts to hurt...

As you can see, Burnet is probably in, with Wimberley needing some unlikely help and F'burg practically needing a moon shot.

Dogman_1969
11-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by duckpluck

District 8-3A

District 24-3A

• In: Navasota, Cameron Yoe

• On the bubble: Rockdale, Caldwell (both 3-2)

• Key games: Caldwell at Cameron Yoe, Taylor at Rockdale

Rockdale gets in with a win or a Caldwell loss. Caldwell gets in with a win and a Rockdale loss.

District 25-3A

• In: This district's playoff field is set - Bellville, Giddings and Sealy.

Navasota will go Division I.

This is note all correct.

Cameron is not in yet. Rockdale is in with a win or a loss by Caldwell to Cameron. If Rockdale beats Taylor and Caldwell beats Cameron by 14 then Rockdale and Caldwell will go and Cameron stays home......

wimbo_pro
11-05-2008, 07:29 PM
I am confused as well. The general concensus here in town is that we are out no matter what. Who knows anymore...just win, dang it.

ziggy29
11-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
I am confused as well. The general concensus here in town is that we are out no matter what. Who knows anymore...just win, dang it.
Simplest cases for Wimberley to be in --

Texans beat Fredericksburg and Llano upsets LH.

Then Wimberley and Burnet are in a 2-way tie for 3rd at 4-2. Wimberley has the head-to-head.

OR, Wimberley wins and Burnet loses. Then Wimberley is alone in 3rd at 4-2, and Burnet is in 4th at 3-3.

buff4ever
11-05-2008, 10:16 PM
This was very random to include district 24 & 25 in this discussion more or less with district 8. They are not even in the same region, is it okay for me to ask why you grouped these districts?

NastySlot
11-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by ziggy29
I *think* there's a general consensus now that this is true -- 8-3A uses positive points as first tie breaker and in a three-way tie if two are still tied after applying it, head-to-head seems to be the determining factor.

Given all that, yes -- Llano is in. Burnet is probably in. Wimberley has a small chance. And even Fredericksburg has a microscopic chance (at least if the cap on positive points is greater than 14), but so small as to be realistically zero.

Based on my understanding, Burnet is in if: They beat Canyon Lake and LH beats Llano, OR
They beat Canyon Lake and Wimberley loses, OR
Fredericksburg beats Wimberley by less than 15

Wimberley is in if:
They defeat Fredericksburg and Llano defeats LH, OR
Burnet loses to Canyon Lake and they defeat Fredericksburg

Fredericksburg is in if:

Burnet loses to Canyon Lake, AND
Fredericksburg beats Wimberley by 15 points or more

I think I got this correct. But my brain starts to hurt...

As you can see, Burnet is probably in, with Wimberley needing some unlikely help and F'burg practically needing a moon shot.

this is correct ..

LH Panther Mom
11-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by buff4ever
This was very random to include district 24 & 25 in this discussion more or less with district 8. They are not even in the same region, is it okay for me to ask why you grouped these districts?
Because that's what the AAS had in the paper. ;)

buff4ever
11-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Because that's what the AAS had in the paper. ;)

Oh, I am sorry, missed that in the paper. ;)

That makes a lot more sense.

bp80884
11-06-2008, 09:11 PM
I can't wait til Saturday. My head is spinning with all the ifs and such.