PDA

View Full Version : Matt Peebles, Red Bryant and Jorrie Adams-Willy Ray Smith Award 3A

Old Cardinal
01-29-2003, 03:59 PM
It is such a shame that Region III only had 2 folks on the All State selections(a first and a second place from Hillsboro and Elgin), because of the Little League tradeoff type politics.... Well, the Willy Ray Smith Award recognized Matt Peebles, Bridge City- 32 TD's and 2,168 yards as a Senior. Also, Red Bryant and Jorrie Adams, dominate linemen, of Jasper represented 3A. Adams and Bryant will be playing for Texas A&M, while Matt Peebles will be playing running back at the University of New Mexico. New Mexico is a good "academic wise" choice and they went 5-1 in the Mountain West Conference. They lost 27-13 to UCLA in the Las Vegas Bowl, in a fair showing....Willie Ray Smith is considered by many as the wisest sportswriter in Texas. This Award has been presented for 11 years now.

<small>[ January 29, 2003, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Jacket2000
01-29-2003, 07:31 PM
Wow, how'd we let that one get by? I'll have to bring this up during the next DDC(DFW Dominance Coalition) meeting. I promise you, it WONT happen again!
J2K

bccards
01-29-2003, 07:40 PM
Matt didn't have 2,168 yards, He finished about 1,925 for this year.

<small>[ January 29, 2003, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: bccards ]</small>

JKLL
01-29-2003, 07:41 PM
"wisest sportswriter in Texas" ?

Old Cardinal
01-29-2003, 07:51 PM
To BCCard: That figure has been in print a number of times...I think it includes his pass receptions. LL: Do you know of a more respected sportwriter than Willie Ray Smith? I would like to meet him.

bccards
01-29-2003, 10:20 PM
Old Cardinal:
To BCCard: That figure has been in print a number of times...I think it includes his pass receptions. LL: Do you know of a more respected sportwriter than Willie Ray Smith? I would like to meet him.Did not think about that, thought you were just talking rushing.. It's entirely possible though for receptions and rushing. We're going to miss Matt next year anyway! Look out for the Goat though next year! lol

Matthew328
01-29-2003, 11:29 PM
Yeah J2K at the next meeting we will be plotting ways to make sure no Golden Triangle 3A team even makes the playoffs..LOL

Old Cardinal
01-30-2003, 12:15 PM
To Matt and Jacket: You would be surprised at how many folks around Texas are tired of seeing rinky-dink teams placing 2nd and 3rd in District. Then getting blown out immediately in the playoffs-yet placing 3 or 4 on the All-State teams! And these discrepancies are all teams who are part of the Big Tradeoff-mostly folks controlling politics around the DWF parameter. Sorry, guess we will just have to agree to dis- agree. I guess, when you have had it your way for a long time, you want to keep the status quo. Just pointing out what is intrenched seems to make one a trouble maker.

turbostud
01-30-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by J2K
(DFW Dominance Coalition) The DDC, I like that, it has a nice ring to it, sounds like something straight out of the WWE. Can you dig it Sucka? :D

Matthew328
01-30-2003, 01:30 PM
LOL OC you know we are just messing with ya...but please give examples of where a Golden Triangle player was "wronged" out of getting on the all-state team in favor of another player from a bad team..

Old Cardinal
01-30-2003, 02:31 PM
Matt, The entire Region III was "wronged", with only one All-Stater and one second teamer. I watched BC blow out Elgin, I did not see any All Stater lineman on that team! As far as the Golden Triangle, there are two teams there Orangefield and Bridge City...I would think Aaron McGuire, who was All-State (second) team year before last was wronged....He had a GREAT senior year at both offense and defense. Bridge City won 11 games utilizing one of the very smallest in statue lines in 3A. Anytime they HAD TO HAVE critical yardage-Aaron McGuire was the man to open the hole. Everyone new where the play was going; yet McGuire always came through. He did not even get a 3rd team recognition after your tradeoff politicians stacked the All State roster.

X21AAAPlayer
01-30-2003, 06:38 PM
Yeah our line was massive this year :p How about an average of 6 feet tall with 200 pounds. Not the best size but speed did help.

Matthew328
01-30-2003, 06:40 PM
I think you are refering to the AP All-State team....which I didnt like either..the TSWA all-state team was MUCH better and Region III was represented quite well..

JKLL
01-30-2003, 08:44 PM
Maybe I'm falling for some kind of a trick but here goes anyway. The Willie Ray Smith award is named in honor of the former Orange Wallace High coach who moved on to Beaumont Charlton Pollard and coached several future NFL players, including his sons Bubba and Tody. He also had another son Willie Ray Jr. who many believe would have been the best if not for a knee injury at Michigan State. This Willie Ray the sportwriter, I have never heard of. And if you are not joking Old Card, please check your sources before you respond.

Old Cardinal
01-30-2003, 09:51 PM
Yes, He did do a lot of Sportswriting at one point. As a youth I use to go and see the Wallace High Dragons demolish people. Ernie Ladd was one of their stars, he was towering tall and skinny as a rail. Smith did do some sports writing around here.