PDA

View Full Version : Sun Belt Women's College Soccer Tournament Updates

Keith7
11-05-2008, 05:02 PM
The games are in Denton. The final winner will get an automatic invite to the playoffs with a possibility of a loser or two making it as well.
There are four games today and the four winners will meet in semis games on tomorrow with the final two playing on Saturday.
Earlier Denver beat Arkansas - Little Rock 2 - 1
Florida Atlantic upset Middle Tennessee State 1-0

Florida International and Western Kentucky just kicked off and coming up at 7:00 host team UNT will face off against South Alabama

Phil C
11-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Interesting indeed! Please keep the updates coming.

Keith7
11-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Western Kentucky up 1-0 at halftime over Florida International

Keith7
11-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Western Kentucky wins and will face the winner of the game between the Mean Green and South alabama

Keith7
11-05-2008, 08:54 PM
North Texas is tied 1-1 with South Alabama at halftime. NT got on the board half way through the first half with a shot from 30 yards out from Shannon Gorrie. A foul in the final minute of the first half set up a penalty kick for South Alabama. The Jaguars capitalized on the opportunity to tie the game before the break.

scrappy05
11-05-2008, 10:14 PM
last update i saw is unt 2-1 in the 2nd half

Keith7
11-05-2008, 10:19 PM
UNT wins 2-1 after Lunsford scores off of penalty kick half way through the second half.

North Texas will now go on to play Western Kentucky tomorrow night at seven

Keith7
11-06-2008, 12:39 PM
today's first game starts at 4:00 PM between the University of Denver Pioneers and the Florida International University Panthers..

the NT vs. WKU game is scheduled to start at 7:00 PM

Keith7
11-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Junior defender Kelli Lunsford scored on a penalty kick to put the Mean Green ahead of the Jaguars midway through the second half to lead the team to 2-1 victory.

Lunsford knows a thing our two about scoring off a penalty kick as this was her fourth penalty kick goal of the season.

“I really don’t feel pressure on those kicks,” said Lunsford. “I know even if I miss it, I have my team behind me. If I were to miss it we would make other oppurtunities.”

NT started the scoring off in the game when freshman defender Shannon Gorrie’s shot from just outside the penalty box sailed passed the USA goalie in the 27th minute.

“That was huge for us,” said head coach John Hedlund. “At the time we were doing everything we needed to do to score, we just needed a break and Shannon came through for us.”

The Jaguars answered back in the final minute of the first half after a Mean Green foul lead to a penalty kick for USA. Kelly Tarrant nailed the shot sneaking it by the Mean Green’s sophomore goalkeeper Mandy Hall.

“I thought we played really well,” said Hedlund. “We dominated most of the possessions, but give them credit, they played really hard and made it tough on us.”

Keith7
11-06-2008, 09:03 PM
North Texas is down 1-0 at half time to the hilltoppers..

In other news, Denver advanced to the championship game after beating Florida International 4-2 earlier in this evening.

mwynn05
11-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
North Texas is down 1-0 at half time to the hilltoppers..

In other news, Denver advanced to the championship game after beating Florida International 4-2 earlier in this evening. i hope we win because i wanna go on saturday....i dont mind going to those games but it has nothing to do with the soccer

Keith7
11-07-2008, 12:46 AM
NT ended up losing 1-0.. Western Kentucky just sat back and played defense the second half and the Mean Green couldn't find a way to score.

Western Kentucky will now meet Denver in the championship game Saturday at 1 PM..

NT had a great season.. I never watched an entire women's soccer game until this year and I can say I have a knew respect for the game and the way those girls play.

I covered the team for our school newspaper and was able to get to know the team and coaches and I know how much the team put into this season. I feel for the seniors tonight but am hopeful for next year with how many freshmen got to play this year.

Phil C
11-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the updates Keith!

Keith7
11-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Denver Pioneers beat Western Kentucky in the championship today and will advance to the NCAA tournament