PDA

View Full Version : Terrible News for Texas Tech Fans!

Phil C
11-05-2008, 11:15 AM
I just found out that their great receiver Crabtree can go pro after this year if he wants because he redshirted his first year. He might decide to because he would most certainly be a first rounder since he has been having a great year and that fantastic last second td pass against Texas helps too.

:(

michaelp23
11-05-2008, 11:20 AM
He's gone after this year. Too much money to pass up seeing as he'll be a high first round pick.

lakers
11-05-2008, 11:23 AM
:bigcry:

I think it is kinda funny that he drives a brand new tahoe with 26" rims and has personalized liscense plate that says "crab 5"on it. I wonder where he gets that kinda stuff?:thinking:

c-town_balla
11-05-2008, 11:30 AM
you can get loans based upon future earnings

kaorder1999
11-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
you can get loans based upon future earnings

Dallas Carter produces some freaking football players!

LH Panther Mom
11-05-2008, 11:36 AM
I seem to remember Michael Crabtree's father announcing last year that he hoped Michael would forego this season & enter the draft. I'm sure there are folks who wish he had.

Phil C
11-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I seem to remember Michael Crabtree's father announcing last year that he hoped Michael would forego this season & enter the draft. I'm sure there are folks who wish he had.

I think you have to have been in college three years so he wouldn't have qualified this year. He is eligible after this year because the redshirt year counts as one year. As great as he is he should have played his freshman year so Tech could have had him three years. He must have been injured his first year.

LH Panther Mom
11-05-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
I think you have to have been in college three years so he wouldn't have qualified this year. He is eligible after this year because the redshirt year counts as one year. As great as he is he should have played his freshman year so Tech could have had him three years. He must have been injured his first year.
I might be confused on the details. I'll have to look. :)

S_Tex_3A_Fan
11-05-2008, 11:57 AM
The rule reads three years removed from High School.

Texasfootball2
11-05-2008, 12:03 PM
I just found out that their great receiver Crabtree can go pro after this year if he wants because he redshirted his first year. He might decide to because he would most certainly be a first rounder since he has been having a great year and that fantastic last second td pass against Texas helps too.

Where have you been, this is basically old news. I don't think there's any doubt that he will enter the draft.

Texasfootball2
11-05-2008, 12:09 PM
I will say this though. Yes, he is a tremendous talent and virtually unreplacable but they have a stable full of young recievers and some great QB prospects. I think 11 different recievers caught passes again the Horns and only two of them were seniors. Crabtree and Morris. If Leach stays around Tech will still be good offensively.

Phil C
11-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Plus Blake is coming there. Tech might ought to push for Colt McCoy's younger brother too.

LH Panther Mom
Crabtree's father (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=72404)

BreckTxLonghorn
Does anyone know where I can find a source for the 3 years rule? I've been trying to convince some people that's the rule, but I have nothing to show for it.

Any help is appreciated!

Hill Man
11-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Does anyone know where I can find a source for the 3 years rule? I've been trying to convince some people that's the rule, but I have nothing to show for it.

Any help is appreciated!

Crabtree may second think going pro... The Lions look to be on the way to 1st pick.. That place is a hole for good/great player.. :(

Phil C
11-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Hill Man
Crabtree may second think going pro... The Lions look to be on the way to 1st pick.. That place is a hole for good/great player.. :(

That could be true but I don't think he would be the No. 1 pick.
Plus the curse is over.

STANG RED
11-05-2008, 01:01 PM
After last season I figured he'd only be at Tech 1 more season anyway.
Sadly though, he'll go so high, you know it will be to a sorry team. But hey, if the boys keep playing the way they have been, they might just have a shot. Maybe they can even get Harrell to.;)

coach
11-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
After last season I figured he'd only be at Tech 1 more season anyway.
Sadly though, he'll go so high, you know it will be to a sorry team. But hey, if the boys keep playing the way they have been, they might just have a shot. Maybe they can even get Harrell to.;)

the boys dont even have a first round draft pick

STANG RED
11-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by coach
the boys dont even have a first round draft pick

In a JJ trading frenzy anything is possible.

eagles_victory
11-05-2008, 01:12 PM
If the Lions have the number 1 pick they are almost for sure going quarterback. Which right now looks like it might be Highland Park product Matthew Stafford of Georgia, but Sam Bradford might compete for that spot if he comes out early.

This will be Crabtrees first year to be eligible after this season and he will almost jump for sure. While Tech has some good recievers coming up and has had some good recievers before I dont think they have another Crabtree type guy. He is far and a way the most talented Wide out they have had in the Leach area. However, if there is any one reciever who can match up physically with Crabtree that guy will be coming to Lubbock this weekend.

WildTexan972
11-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Obviously none of you watch Tech games very much. Detron Lewis already looks like Crabtree in about every aspect of his game. Feel free to watch any tape of a game where Detron got 4 or more catches and you will mistake his moves, demeanor, routes for Crabtree until you see the numbers on the jersey...

Crabtree will go pro - that has been known all year - he will be a top 10 pick and cash in just as he SHOULD do, and yet Tech won't skip a beat since the WR corp on this team is by far the deepest position group....and again next year the Tech WRs will be the best set in the Big12 top to bottom....it won't even be close...

Texasfootball2
11-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
Obviously none of you watch Tech games very much. Detron Lewis already looks like Crabtree in about every aspect of his game. Feel free to watch any tape of a game where Detron got 4 or more catches and you will mistake his moves, demeanor, routes for Crabtree until you see the numbers on the jersey...

Crabtree will go pro - that has been known all year - he will be a top 10 pick and cash in just as he SHOULD do, and yet Tech won't skip a beat since the WR corp on this team is by far the deepest position group....and again next year the Tech WRs will be the best set in the Big12 top to bottom....it won't even be close...

I couldn't agree with you more:D

eagles_victory
11-05-2008, 01:59 PM

Crabtree will go pro - that has been known all year - he will be a top 10 pick and cash in just as he SHOULD do, and yet Tech won't skip a beat since the WR corp on this team is by far the deepest position group....and again next year the Tech WRs will be the best set in the Big12 top to bottom....it won't even be close... Lewis is a nice player but hes not Crabtree. He has caught one touchdown on the season Crabtree has caught 15. He may be like a Hicks of Filani was and there is nothing wrong with that but I dont see him putting up Crabtree numbers.

Txbroadcaster
11-05-2008, 03:31 PM

he looks nothing like CRabtree

first off Crab is 6'3 Lewis is 6'0 Crab weighs more and is WAY stronger.

S_Tex_3A_Fan
11-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn

Any help is appreciated!

14. The NFL bylaws include a rule prohibiting any player who has not completed three college seasons, or is not three years removed from high school graduation, from joining the NFL (“the Rule”).

LINK (http://fl1.findlaw.com/news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/nfl/clarettnfl92303cmp.pdf)

S_Tex_3A_Fan
11-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by S_Tex_3A_Fan
14. The NFL bylaws include a rule prohibiting any player who has not completed three college seasons, or is not three years removed from high school graduation, from joining the NFL (“the Rule”).

LINK (http://fl1.findlaw.com/news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/nfl/clarettnfl92303cmp.pdf)

This may help to this is the By laws ETC

L I N K (http://www.nflplayers.com/user/template.aspx?fmid=181&lmid=231&pid=534&type=c)

RMAC
11-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by lakers
:bigcry:

I think it is kinda funny that he drives a brand new tahoe with 26" rims and has personalized liscense plate that says "crab 5"on it. I wonder where he gets that kinda stuff?:thinking: His family is fairly well off from what I hear.

RMAC
11-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
I will say this though. Yes, he is a tremendous talent and virtually unreplacable but they have a stable full of young recievers and some great QB prospects. I think 11 different recievers caught passes again the Horns and only two of them were seniors. Crabtree and Morris. If Leach stays around Tech will still be good offensively.

A press release from our AD said Leach's contract will be renegotiated at the end of the season. Apparently the jobs opening up this season have the administration worried. His contract doesn't expire for another 2 years and he's making $1.7 million right now.

Phil C
11-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
His family is fairly well off from what I hear.

That could make a difference. He ought to check into insurance and maybe buy some and stay at least one more year. Maybe two.
I think if Vince had it to do over again he would have played one more year in college. But his economic situation was probably different.

K-MAC Chuck
11-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Hill Man

while that is certainly true...

the new administration of the Lions would get hung by their b**ls if they DARE pick up a receiver with a first-round draft pick..it would create too many (bad) memories of the recently-deposed Matt Millen...besides, the Lions need a LOT more than a wide receiver...see them play lately?

Eagle 1
11-05-2008, 07:21 PM

Just so you know, this is not new news to us Tech fans,
kind of like Vince Young's leaving Texas was not new news after his Jr year.
Being ranked #2 in the nation and a chance of winning their first Big 12 championship, let alone a NC, Tech will certainly begin to draw some good recruits.

BTW, TXbroadcaster Wes Welker is 5'9" and weighs 185 lbs.
Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.

Txbroadcaster
11-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1

BTW, TXbroadcaster Wes Welker is 5'9" and weighs 185 lbs.
Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.

Has nothing to do with what the discussion was about. He basically said Lewis looked like Crabtree but he does not. Plays WR a different way and style( I LIKE Lewis so not a knock on him at all). The size difference being such a big factor because IMO the two biggest parts of Crabtree's game is ability to shield defender from the ball, and how hard he is to tackle because of his size.

Eagle 1
11-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Has nothing to do with what the discussion was about. He basically said Lewis looked like Crabtree but he does not. Plays WR a different way and style( I LIKE Lewis so not a knock on him at all). The size difference being such a big factor because IMO the two biggest parts of Crabtree's game is ability to shield defender from the ball, and how hard he is to tackle because of his size.

You lost me on that one.
You list their size, give an explanation "why" you think Crabtree is better because of his size, yet......it has nothing to do with what the discussion was about?

JR2004
11-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

His dad has made it crystal clear here in Dallas that his son is done at Tech after this season.

Txbroadcaster
11-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
You lost me on that one.
You list their size, give an explanation "why" you think Crabtree is better because of his size, yet......it has nothing to do with what the discussion was about?

He said Lewis plays WR JUST like Crabtree..he even said unless you see the number you can not tell which is which. I said I disagree.

A 6'0 208 WR is not going to play the position the same as a 6'3 215 WR and is not going to look the same simply because size difference

What I said was not the point of the discussion was when you mentioned Welker and said Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog. I was not knocking Lewis or saying he was to small or anything like that. I was saying because of the size difference, and strength difference Lewis is not the next Crabtree as far as style

yoe64
11-07-2008, 01:08 PM
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=39601&sport=1

how would crabtree be able to enter the draft after this year? He is a true sophomore. Graduated from Dallas in '06.

JR2004
11-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by yoe64
Isn't crabtree a true sophomore?

No. He redshirted his first year.

JasperDog94
11-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
No. He redshirted his first year. I wonder if Leach would rethink redshirting Crabtree in hindsight.

yoe64
11-07-2008, 01:15 PM
is there any proof to this? cause i can't seem to find it

JasperDog94
11-07-2008, 01:19 PM
is there any proof to this? cause i can't seem to find it

"Crabtree, the Biletnikoff Award winner last year as a redshirt freshman..."

link (http://newsok.com/red-raiders-led-by-super-soph-crabtree-are-loaded-at-receiver/article/3266486)

Texasfootball2
11-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I wonder if Leach would rethink redshirting Crabtree in hindsight.

Leach didn't have any choice. He was taken as a Greyshirt. Which means he was acedimically inelgible his freshmen year, but was in school. The Greyshirt thing is a little confussing and not many do it, but it may be the only reason he ended up at Tech.

JasperDog94
11-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Leach didn't have any choice. He was taken as a Greyshirt. Which means he was acedimically inelgible his freshmen year, but was in school. The Greyshirt thing is a little confussing and not many do it, but it may be the only reason he ended up at Tech. Hmmm...I've never heard of a greyshirt before.

LH Panther Mom
11-07-2008, 02:36 PM
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=39601&sport=1

how would crabtree be able to enter the draft after this year? He is a true sophomore. Graduated from Dallas in '06.
Spring 2006 - HS graduation
Fall 2006 - redshirted
Fall 2007 - redshirt freshman season
Fall 2008 - sophomore season

Troybuilt
11-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Hmmm...I've never heard of a greyshirt before.

Yeah, I think its for the players that didn't have grades to get in to school or can't make there grades.

Texasfootball2
11-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Troybuilt
Yeah, I think its for the players that didn't have grades to get in to school or can't make there grades.

Yep! He still practiced but was ineligible to play. I've heard all kinds of stories how he would totally dominate the Thursday night scrimmages that the non travel squad players have. He treated like his superbowl every week.

Troybuilt
11-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Yep! He still practiced but was ineligible to play. I've heard all kinds of stories how he would totally dominate the Thursday night scrimmages that the non travel squad players have. He treated like his superbowl every week.

The key for Tech is those 350 lb. lineman. how many of them are seniors?