2001-42-58
2002-58-42
Number play-off Opponents:
2001-3
2002-7
Number District Champions Played:
2001-1
2002-3
Is Sinton as good as last year?Ya'll figure it out!!

SintonFan_inAustin
11-20-2002, 12:13 AM
nice job in posting that info.

sinton66
11-20-2002, 07:31 AM
Hey, it all makes sense now! I get it! Light bulb just turned on in a dark mind. Thanks SinFan75. Pirates have a better red zone defense this year. Proved that to me at G-P. wink

Sinton94
11-20-2002, 07:58 AM
That they are!

Sinton94
11-20-2002, 08:18 AM
I found some more STATS of Interest:)

SINTON
Avg. Plays per game 45
Avg. yards per play 7
Avg. Plays per first down 2.2
Avg. Plays per Touchdown 9.9
OPPONENTS
Avg. Plays per game 54
Avg. yards per play 3.5
Avg. Plays per first down 4.8
Avg. Plays per Touchdown 54

Scores by Quarter
Qrt. Sinton Opp.
1 60 19
2 78 7
3 144 8
4 72 34
TOTAL 354 68

Third quarter really sticks out and the fourth quarter is mostly the second team.

This team is as good as last years and I think even better over all.

sinton66
11-20-2002, 08:35 AM
I think you are exactly right. The reason the team has looked "lethargic" at times is because of the increased level of competition, 7 playoff teams as opposed to 3. Good teams can make you look less proficient in what you do best.

pirate4state
11-20-2002, 10:44 AM
sinton66:
I think you are exactly right. The reason the team has looked "lethargic" at times is because of the increased level of competition, 7 playoff teams as opposed to 3. Good teams can make you look less proficient in what you do best.Pa, "What does proficient mean?" :D :D :D
I don't know why, but the use of that word made me laugh out loud & I had to respond! :p

Ranger Mom
11-20-2002, 12:46 PM
Proficient . adj.
Adept, skilled, skillful, expert;
having or manifesting the knowledge and
experience needed for success in a trade or
profession.
To go forward, accomplish; well advanced.

According the Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary

pirate4state
11-20-2002, 02:03 PM
RangerMom, I hope you know I was kidding? But thanks for the definition. wink

sinton66
11-20-2002, 04:22 PM
Hey, I don't make this stuff up as I go along. I try very hard to use real words. :D :D :D

pirate4state
11-20-2002, 05:38 PM
Sinton66, I guess with all the bad grammer & incorrect spelling in some of these posts, it just threw me for a loop to see such a fancy ( wink ) word in a post. BUT, I guess I should expect nothing less from you, http://fp.funfiles.plus.com/anim_emoticons/not_worthy_of_the_present_company.gif oh Great One! :D

sinton66
11-20-2002, 06:46 PM
No sweat there 94, just funnin' ya! I've always said I get along much better with people when they learn to worship me!
(Yeah, RIGHT ) wink

SintonFan
11-20-2002, 08:33 PM
sinfan75:
First ten games:
Points Per Game:
2001-48.7
2002-35.4
Scoring Defense:
2001-5.7
2002-6.8
Opponents combined Records:
2001-42-58
2002-58-42
Number play-off Opponents:
2001-3
2002-7
Number District Champions Played:
2001-1
2002-3
Is Sinton as good as last year?Ya'll figure it out!!Dammmmmm...... 75, you went above and beyond with this info. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I think I might have been too hard on the Pirates. Thanks 94 for the additional info, too.

sinfan75
11-20-2002, 09:41 PM
Hey I had to work hard to get that info.Not really,just go to Data Poll.The hard part was typin it up.Ya know I'm probably the worlds slowest typer.Just ask my daughter! :D :D :D

29x281
11-20-2002, 09:46 PM
On the other hand, including teams like Orange Grove and Raymondville as "playoff opponents" is something of a self-deception. Sure, they made the playoffs, but look at their districts.

The wins vs GP and Altair Rice were definitely impressive, but since Sinton played neither of those 2 teams last year, it's hard to use those games for comparison.

So let's just look at the 5 opponents that Sinton played in both 2001 and 2002: Mathis, Taft, CC West Oso, Aransas Pass, and Ingleside.

In those 5 games----

Combined Score:
2001- 263-14
2002- 209-35

Points Per Game:
2001-52.6
2002-41.8

Scoring Defense:
2001-2.8
2002-7.0

I don't know. Call me a sceptic - not of Sinton's team because I think they're very good. But I'm not convinced that this year's team is as impressive as last year's was at this point in the season.

sinton66
11-20-2002, 10:39 PM
I would call them playoff teams, five of them survived to go to the second round. Burnet has 4 in that category, Jasper has only 1.

SintonFan
11-20-2002, 11:40 PM
29x281:
On the other hand, including teams like Orange Grove and Raymondville as "playoff opponents" is something of a self-deception. Sure, they made the playoffs, but look at their districts.

The wins vs GP and Altair Rice were definitely impressive, but since Sinton played neither of those 2 teams last year, it's hard to use those games for comparison.

So let's just look at the 5 opponents that Sinton played in both 2001 and 2002: Mathis, Taft, CC West Oso, Aransas Pass, and Ingleside.

In those 5 games----

Combined Score:
2001- 263-14
2002- 209-35

Points Per Game:
2001-52.6
2002-41.8

Scoring Defense:
2001-2.8
2002-7.0

I don't know. Call me a sceptic - not of Sinton's team because I think they're very good. But I'm not convinced that this year's team is as impressive as last year's was at this point in the season.You only prove my point that 30-3A was stronger this year. Didn't Taft only win two last year? WO won one game. Ingleside (who lost most of their team) was 5-5, (hehe, the reason I thought they'd be a dark horse this year is because they had size). Odem and WO for this year traded places in the line up for the playoffs. Only if Odem was in 30-3A would this district by stronger. Many, if not most, of the teams returned alot of their starters this year and did their best. This year was a stronger year than last year for 30-3A. :)

big daddy russ
11-21-2002, 12:03 AM
SintonFan:
You only prove my point that 30-3A was stronger this year. Didn't Taft only win two last year? WO won one game. Ingleside (who lost most of their team) was 5-5, (hehe, the reason I thought they'd be a dark horse this year is because they had size). Odem and WO for this year traded places in the line up for the playoffs. Only if Odem was in 30-3A would this district by stronger. Many, if not most, of the teams returned alot of their starters this year and did their best. This year was a stronger year than last year for 30-3A. :) No doubt, SintonFan. From what I heard, West Oso and Yoakum were two fairly evenly matched teams, West Oso just got tired towards the end of the game (they don't really have a large team numbers-wise) and they were our THIRD place team. Yoakum isn't exactly a cake walk. And even fourth-place Mathis had a team just as good as West Oso's... Mathis only lost that game by a 13-12 mark. Mathis' team might have even improved slightly from last year. 30-3A was by no means an easy district this go-round.

The Chosen 1
11-21-2002, 12:32 AM
I was a player on the 2001 Everman team that beat the Pirates. They gave us the fight of our lives as we won the title. Alaniz is a great QB, Ruiz is a talented RB, and the O-line is as strong as oxes. A great team last year, but not quite as good as Everman. Sinton fans shouldn't feel bad as their team is nothing short of fantastic.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

bulldog65
11-21-2002, 06:19 AM
sintonfan75, how do you get that much info from Data Poll? All I see is the ranking, PF-PA.

sinton66
11-21-2002, 07:14 AM
Well, Bulldog65, it has the won-loss record also to calculate some of it from. I don't know where he got the scoring defense stuff, unless it was local data. PF divided by # games= scoring average, PA divided by # games= average allowed. That sort of thing. You can do the same for any team. And, thanks to the 2001 Bulldog player for his comments.

Sinton94
11-21-2002, 08:40 AM
29x281 I think you will admit that Sinton did not get fired up for any of those district games. In fact the stats show that they did most of their damage in the third quarter and gave up all their points in the fourth quarter when the second team was in. Sinton hasn't been challenged since GP. I for one think they are a great team and have also shown that they can overcome adversity with some of the injuries they have had. The community should be very proud of these boys and back them for who they are. Champions win or lose!

2a88
11-21-2002, 10:29 AM
Great post 94. These boys have overcome some serious adversity and injuries. They also worked their tails off during the summer and offseason. Comparing last year's team and this one is like apples and oranges. They are two different teams. Last year's team was virtually injury free all year. Both teams are great and the kids in Sinton worked as hard a any in the state. They are all champions.

pirate4state
11-21-2002, 10:58 AM
pirate4state:
Sinton66, I guess with all the bad grammer & incorrect spelling in some of these posts, it just threw me for a loop to see such a fancy ( wink ) word in a post. BUT, I guess I should expect nothing less from you, http://fp.funfiles.plus.com/anim_emoticons/not_worthy_of_the_present_company.gif oh Great One! :D
sinton66:
No sweat there 94, just funnin' ya! I've always said I get along much better with people when they learn to worship me!
(Yeah, RIGHT ) wink Sinton66 eek! Shame on you...it was not 94 offering you the not worthy status! I rescind MY offer of your 'not worthy status!' wink just kidding, of course I'll let you make it up to me :p

GOFOR2
11-21-2002, 07:43 PM
29x281:

In those 5 games----

Combined Score:
2001- 263-14
2002- 209-35

Points Per Game:
2001-52.6
2002-41.8

Scoring Defense:
2001-2.8
2002-7.0

I don't know. Call me a sceptic - not of Sinton's team because I think they're very good. But I'm not convinced that this year's team is as impressive as last year's was at this point in the season.OK, the proper spelling is skeptic, not sceptic, and secondly, you must be out of your skull if you don't respect the following: GP and Rice were indeed very good, regardless if Sinton played them last year or not, and teams like West Oso and AP improved significantly from last year.
And comparing this year's team to last year's team is so inconsequential, the team is winning and is pretty stinkin' good. Twenty years from now, people will not be asking how you won, but instead what you won. Get over this stat stuff.

GOFOR2
11-21-2002, 07:48 PM
bulldog65:
sintonfan75, how do you get that much info from Data Poll? All I see is the ranking, PF-PA.Well it seems to me that SintonFan75 has insider information. Hell he probably works for the CIA and has conspired with La Feria to play in Weslaco so that he and others can commence to looting Sinton once it shuts down at 1:00 on Friday.

29x281
11-21-2002, 09:05 PM
GoFor2:

You say that "comparing this year's team to last year's team is inconsequential." Sure it is. For that matter, this entire board is inconsequential. Fans come here to talk about football, and comparing a team's relative strength to other teams or to teams from previous years is to be expected.

You say that I'm "out of my skull" for not respecting the GP and Rice victories. Can you read? I said that those wins were "definitely impressive."

You say that I should get over the stats. Tell that to Sinfan75 and Sinton94. I merely attempted to refute what they had begun, an argument clearly grounded in statistical analysis. And while I do believe that Sinton is a great team and will be difficult for anyone to beat, I remain unconvinced that the 2002 team is as good as the 2001 team was. I could be wrong, but I'm still not convinced.

By the way, thanks for the help on my spelling. Now please allow me to correct your grammar. The first sentence of your 2nd paragraph is known as a comma splice. You can't join 2 complete sentences with a comma. You'll need a semicolon, a period, or a comma & conjunction. In addition, the "regardless if" phrase is a bit awkward. Most people prefer "regardless of whether or not".

bleedmaroon
11-21-2002, 09:09 PM
I learn something new every day. Just wish it wasn't something to do with English. Thought I was through with that when I graduated from high school. :cool:

29x281
11-21-2002, 09:17 PM
I normally wouldn't stoop to that level, but since he picked out 1 word in my post, I figured I'd return fire.

If we went around correcting all the spelling & grammar mistakes in these posts we'd never have time to talk football.

sinton66
11-21-2002, 09:23 PM
If you guys keep picking on 75, he might not let you pet his puppy. http://www.photohome.com/pictures/mixed/wolf-1.jpg

bleedmaroon
11-21-2002, 09:36 PM
It's ok 29x281. I know you've shown more restraint than I probably would have.

Now, just to stir the pot a bit. Let's talk about actual vs. potential. I'm going to go out on a limb here and expect to get torched. I've seen the talk on the board about Sinton and I've seen Sinton play. I've heard from friends throughout the state about the level of play they see from their teams. So here goes: I think Sinton's actual level of play is far below their potential. Imagine a car running on 4 of 8 cylinders and the throttle stuck at idle and that's Sinton through the first 11 games of this season.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-22-2002, 01:29 AM
translates to playing at a higher level in the 2nd and 3rd Qrts of a 4Qrts game. :D :D

sinfan75
11-22-2002, 05:37 AM
bulldog65:
sintonfan75, how do you get that much info from Data Poll? All I see is the ranking, PF-PA.Just take the PF/PA and divide by ten.That's how ya get your points per game average.Ain't I the intellect? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

sinfan75
11-22-2002, 05:55 AM
Didn't mean to stir things up :D (so I'm a liar).Really just wanted put out some info I thought was interestin.I wasn't tryin to say this team is better than last.Just sayin they are playin at about the same pace.Like the pic 66.His name is Goober. :D :D

sinton66
11-22-2002, 08:03 AM
It is natural for fans to try to compare teams that have played before with the one at present. Honestly, there is only ONE comparison that makes any difference at all, and that is when they play their final game of this season. That is the only comparison that will count. So, be patient, these boys aren't through yet. Remember, this team has already accomplished something no other Sinton team ever could. wink

maroonpunt
11-22-2002, 12:00 PM
Last years team was the best because they played for a state championship. No other team has ever played for a football state championship in sinton. So unless this years team does, than I have to say last years was better.
Also, try as you want, till you turn blue in the face; but on offense when you lose your star running back, four offensive lineman, two receivers, on defense you lose 3 defensive lineman, 3 linebackers, two cornerbackto graduation, how can you be better. Sure the level of play was better in the non district, but Beeville was a heck of a team last year. District was weaker this year than last, odem was good last year, mathis was good, and dont say they are(other dist 30 teams) better this year, THEY ARE NOT. The difference is that Sinton was THAT GOOD last year. That is the big difference. Sinton was able to take control of the game from the kickoff last year, all except odem, when they did not play well the first half and couldnt stop the pick play by odem. That is the difference this year, sinton eventually wears opponents down, that is why they are dominating in the second half, because most teams are able to play with sinton, but not the whole game and a Win in constituted by 4 quarters. So total respect and congratulations to the 2002 pirates and their coaches who are all doing a great job, but Sinton '01 was better than sinton '02.

sinton66
11-22-2002, 01:07 PM
Hmmmm, something tells me maroonpunt played on last year's team or is real close to someone who did. Will you change your mind if '02 wins it all? My point is the playoffs are still going on, Sinton is still in them, and we won't know or have any realistic idea until it's over for THIS season. Every team in the state is different from the team they had last year. There is more parity at the top levels than there was last year. Sinton and Everman were way above everybody else last year. So far this year, it appears Sinton is not as good, and even Everman has a loss on their record. You cannot judge this year by last year or any other year until this year is finished. There is no basis for an apples to apples comparison between the two. In the end analysis, it's the season record that will count.

maroonpunt
11-22-2002, 01:22 PM
when you compare this year to last year, its not the record that counts really. we are comparing sinton '01 vs. sinto '02. so you put up reasons why one is better. i put up reasons why '01 is better which is what this toppic was about. so now you can put in your opinion. who cares what the record is, talk if the two teams took the field. who would win and who is better. sinton '01 __ 42, sinton '02__ 14. Who would tackle #22, no one. Would #11 run as hard with #48, # 68, #69, #45, hitting him in the mouth; dont think so.

PhiI C
11-22-2002, 03:05 PM
Different years always have similarities and differences. Last year before Sinton Everman won a very tough game against Forney and Sinton won a tough game against Bellville. And don't forget even Gonzalez gave Sinton a good game. Do there were several capable teams besides Sinton and Everman last year just like there are several teams this year that are capable. Time will tell.

PhiI C
11-22-2002, 07:58 PM
Also thank you for your kind words The Chosen One. Are you in college this year? Last year you and your teammates and fans and coaches showed a lot of class as well as great talent at the state championship game.