PDA

View Full Version : Football vs Basketball

44INAROW
11-05-2008, 10:56 AM
I am having a hard time concentrating this morning for some "reason" **(don't GO there) anyway - I got to thinking about something........

How many teams/schools forego playing basketball as long as their football team is playing? Cuero in the past years hasn't played much basketball before Christmas. This year we have a new basketball coach and I think he's been sizing up the talent since he got here. Sorry Coach O - Hope you don't get to play until after Christmas, nothing personal :)

Anyway, just curious what other schools do.

Phil C
11-05-2008, 10:57 AM
I think Sinton goes ahead and plays. They just don't get the football players (or volleyball players) who also play basketball on the basketball team until after their playoffs are over.

Texasfootball2
11-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Wylie having an enrollment of over 1500+ just goes right on with Bball. They start kicking butt on day 1. Since only 1 or 2 Football players are all that play Bball they don't wait for them. But of course, Wylie can only do this because they have a huge enrollment and since this is not a realignment year we have even more to chose from.:D

44INAROW
11-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Wylie having an enrollment of over 1500+ just goes right on with Bball. They start kicking butt on day 1. Since only 1 or 2 Football players are all that play Bball they don't wait for them. But of course, Wylie can only do this because they have a huge enrollment and since this is not a realignment year we have even more to chose from.:D

see, that is a reply I like to see - folks having a good laugh (even at their own expense) nice job Texasfootball2 :clap: :clap: :clap:

Texasfootball2
11-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
see, that is a reply I like to see - folks having a good laugh (even at their own expense) nice job Texasfootball2 :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you very little:)

Johnny Utah
11-05-2008, 11:14 AM
The Coach at Abilene Wylie does an outstanding job with what he has, and you are correct, most of his players are year round. Big O can coach 44!!! You are lucky to have him, in it for the right reasons no matter the sport.

Johnny Utah
11-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Most small schools forgo playing until the playoffs are over, but most 3a schools and up play a schedule until they get their football kids. I have seen it done both ways.

44INAROW
11-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Big O can coach 44!!! You are lucky to have him, in it for the right reasons no matter the sport.

We're excited to have him.. He looks like he might have played some hoops himself..... tall drink of water :)

Johnny Utah
11-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Dont let that size fool ya!!! He actually was a football player at the Cove, not a baskteball guy until he saw the light!!! He has told me that fish class of yours is LOADED!!!

44INAROW
11-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Dont let that size fool ya!!! He actually was a football player at the Cove, not a baskteball guy until he saw the light!!! He has told me that fish class of yours is LOADED!!!

Rebuild and Reload :p Seriously, we are excited to see him coach, he is well liked by the kids........

rojosgirl
11-05-2008, 11:54 AM
For a long while, the "best" athletes in Cuero haven't played basketball any way. Why not get started with roundball as soon as you can? The football players that do come out usually quit, so why wait for them?

Tres Lobos
11-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Monahans just plays bball with the players that play straight basketball until the rest of the football players get there

Johnny Utah
11-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Some athletes, whether they are a football players or not may not be cut out for hoops, happens in Cuero and everywhere else. Monahans has them one heck of a new coach as well.

Tres Lobos
11-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Monahans has them one heck of a new coach as well.

Ya sounds like he's a good one, I'm hoping he can lead our bball program in the right direction

LH Panther Mom
11-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Monahans has them one heck of a new coach as well.
That's what I heard. :thinking:

garciap77
11-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2

You mean 2,500+! I used the year books to count them!

:1popcorn:

;)

Johnny Utah
11-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Great facility and he can coach. Anyone who has taken a team to the Drum can coach in my humble opinion. Even if he did spend some time at LH, LOL!!!

pirate4state
11-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Sinton basketball = 2 of my favorite coaches! :D Goof balls! Both very animated on the court. God love 'em.

I have probably watched more basketball than I care too because of their enthusiasm and how their teams respond to them! :clap:

44INAROW
11-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Sinton basketball = 2 of my favorite coaches! :D Goof balls! Both very animated on the court. God love 'em.

I have probably watched more basketball than I care too because of their enthusiasm and how their teams respond to them! :clap:
do you'll play Goliad in Goliad this year? I might make that game - I'd like to watch that :D

ForeverALobo
11-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Tres Lobos
Ya sounds like he's a good one, I'm hoping he can lead our bball program in the right direction

I'm hoping he can as well. The last couple years have been tough for Lobo basketball fans to watch going into the playoffs with high hopes only to lose in the first round. They have had some good teams the past two years but from what I've seen and heard the old coach just couldn't put that winning formula together. Hopefully the new one can get it going. Where is this new coach from again?

LH Panther Mom
11-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Even if he did spend some time at LH, LOL!!!
:foul: :foul: He was my neighbor. :p

Tres Lobos
11-05-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm hoping he can as well. The last couple years have been tough for Lobo basketball fans to watch going into the playoffs with high hopes only to lose in the first round. They have had some good teams the past two years but from what I've seen and heard the old coach just couldn't put that winning formula together. Hopefully the new one can get it going. Where is this new coach from again?

He coached at wimberley last

HEMOTOXIC
11-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Navasota plays with the guys who were in basketball off season until they get the guys from football.

buff4life
11-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Thorndale AD has done this for both basketball and baseball for the past several years, and has won state championships doing it...but recently the school board told him he couldn't do that so he said fine and took a leave of abscence

pirate4state
11-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
do you'll play Goliad in Goliad this year? I might make that game - I'd like to watch that :D You are in luck! The GIRLS play Goliad in Goliad on Dec 2nd! :) I won't be there though. Sorry. I only attend home games during non-district. I might travel to some away district games.

Johnny Utah
11-05-2008, 03:25 PM
New Coach at Monahans is a good one for sure, was at Wimberley last. Before that he was at LH. His sons could ball!!!

NastySlot
11-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
Navasota plays with the guys who were in basketball off season until they get the guys from football.

yeah they won a state title doing this....undefeated.....and their coach was also the head football coach at the time.

Johnny Utah
11-05-2008, 03:44 PM
One of the BEST HS TEAMS I have ever seen was that years team, 1990 State Champions, 35-0! Beat Rockdale in Bi-district by 12! That head bball coach is a class act and one heck of a coach by the way! He has taken a Stephenville BBALL program and gotten them on the map in hoops.

NastySlot
11-05-2008, 03:46 PM
One of the BEST HS TEAMS I have ever seen was that years team, 1990 State Champions, 35-0! Beat Rockdale in Bi-district by 12! That head bball coach is a class act and one heck of a coach by the way! He has taken a Stephenville BBALL program and gotten them on the map in hoops.

one of the best i've ever worked for.....great person.

Johnny Utah
11-05-2008, 04:00 PM
YOu are very fortunate indeed!