PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer info wanted!

mistanice
11-03-2008, 10:19 PM
So I know there are some Gilmer backers on the board..

Can you give me some info on Gilmer ie- opponents' records, offensive leaders/stats, etc..

ty

easttexas3a
11-04-2008, 04:00 AM
Well Gilmer's one loss came to Kilgore, a 4a team who if I am not mistaken is going to win their district. You have preseason wins over Jasper and LE that looked real good, but don't seem to be shaking out that way, and then you have the absolute drumming of a very good Daingerfield team. District wise there is avery good Chapel hill team with one of the best abcks in the state in which they won 35-6. The rest of the district they have just had their way with, and the 3rd place team out of this district Gladewater, prolly won't make it out the first round.

the leader of the team offensively is Darian Godfrey, commonly nicknamed Stump. Not sure on his stats but they are probably pretty ridiculous. He is a Junior.

RB wise its a rb by committee type thing, there is a jr who is lightning fast, a soph who is quick and breaks tackles well, and then a senior who is more of the bull type back. The RB's havent been "spectacular" but they have been good.

The Oline has played well, considering what we had at Oline last year you would have imagined a bigger drop off. I think 3 of the starting 5 linemen are underclassmen.

Wr is surprisingly a position that doesn't have jsut one guy stand out to me. Zach Jones was the best wr and the best playmaker but has been hurt for about 4-5 weeks, and I am not sure of his return. seem like he was suppose to be back by now but hasnt been, maybe they gave him some extra time considering who we had left in district. I think Tristan Holt, and Kedon Franklin are the other WR I can think of off the top of my head. Both I believe are juniors.

Defensively the Linebacking Core is Very good, Vance green is probably the best of the linebackers. The entire D flys to the ball, but all the linebackers are especially good at swarming.

D line wise you have Jonothan Rockwell who is a real good nose guard, and has been playing well all year. Also Louis castro has played well.

Secondary wise I cant really name a kid out there, they have played real well, and the only time I saw weakness was the Kilgore game in which they were running the ball so much they only threw 7 or 8 times probably but it seem like every time they did it was for a big play.

Special teams we are very good.

We are pretty good ;)

orange machine
11-04-2008, 04:53 AM
Sounds like a normal Gilmer team to me.

Aesculus gilmus
11-04-2008, 08:28 AM
I rarely go to Gilmer regular season games anymore because I think blowouts are boring and I figure someone else who likes watching blowouts needs and deserves any seat or standing room I might take up.

And finding a place to sit at a Gilmer game is ALWAYS a problem, at home OR on the road. Sometimes the situation is even worse on the road because of a smaller capacity for visitors.

That said, I DID go to the Chapel Hill game on Oct. 17, buying into the hype of the "two state-ranked teams, game of the night in the state of Texas" etc., etc.

I figured there was no way CHill would not at least make a game of it on their home turf.

What I witnessed instead was TOTAL domination by the Buckeyes. There was one play in the second quarter where the fabled Matthew Tucker broke loose from an attempt to gang-tackle him and scored from about 46 yards out. That was ALL Chapel Hill could do on offense.

The game was basically over by the end of the first quarter, as is the case in about 75 percent of Gilmer regular season games.

I came away from that game with the observation that there are actually MORE skill-position offensive playmakers on this team than there were last year, even though last year's were more ballyhooed and recruited.

They include, in addition to Stump Godfrey, Jeremy Jackson, Tristan Holt, Prentiss Bell, Kedon Franklin, Marlon Granville, Gus "the Mini-Bus" Osborne, Zack Jones, Braylon Webb and several others. Jackson has to be 4.4 at the slowest. He is like balled lightning.

And the O-line coach, Kurt Traylor, must be a genius because I noticed NO drop-off at all from last year's line.

If you cannot pass the football, do NOT fall behind Gilmer by more than two TDs. You'll never catch up. No brag, just fact.

charlesrixey
11-04-2008, 09:29 AM
wow, this is really good info

:confused:

normally you just get a two sentence thought on why one's team is the best--i wish all posters would throw down info like this thread a little more often

or are gilmer fans just more informed?

:thinking:

waterboy
11-04-2008, 11:46 AM
A rundown of Gilmer's games:
Gilmer 56 Jasper 28
Gilmer 77 Emory Rains 21
Gilmer 28 Liberty-Eylau 14
Gilmer 14 Kilgore 28
Gilmer 49 Daingerfield 18
Gilmer 48 Bullard 12
Gilmer 35 Chapel Hill 6
Gilmer 55 Spring Hill 7
Gilmer 43 Gladewater 8
Gilmer @ Tatum

It's been my observation that the Buckeye defense is getting better and better each week. Earlier in the year they struggled a little with run-heavy teams -- one of their biggest weaknesses over the past 3 seasons. Whatever weaknesses there were seem to have been fixed. I think this is the best defense the Buckeyes have fielded since '04, maybe even better than that one. The defense is a little small, but they make up for it with speed and swarming the ball. The offense, at times, seems a little out of sync, but they can still score alot of points. I think the biggest thing about the offense is their youth. There was only 1 returning starter from last year, the QB Darian "Stump" Godfrey, yet they are still averaging 45 points per game. It's hard to gauge how good this team really is until we started playing teams a little further away, but I REALLY like the capabilities and potential of this team. In a nutshell, I LOVE our chances of making some noise in the playoffs!

mistanice
11-04-2008, 02:00 PM
can anyone come up with opponents records and thanks to those who gave some great information. Sounds like Gilmer keeps reloading season after season!

waterboy
11-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
can anyone come up with opponents records and thanks to those who gave some great information. Sounds like Gilmer keeps reloading season after season!
Jasper 3-5 (2-2)
Emory Rains 1-8 (0-4)
Liberty-Eylau 4-5 (2-2)
Kilgore 7-2 (3-1) 4A
Daingerfield 8-1 (4-0) 2A
Bullard 3-6 (1-3)
Chapel Hill 7-1 (3-1)
Spring Hill 2-7 (0-4)
Gladewater 6-3 (2-2)
Tatum 4-5 (2-2) have not played yet

This season hasn't been a complete surprise, but has been a pleasant one!

Gilmer Buckeyes - The Tradition Continues!

pirate4state
11-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
can anyone come up with opponents records and thanks to those who gave some great information. Sounds like Gilmer keeps reloading season after season! yes, YOU can or could have, but looks like waterboy was nice enough to do it for you! :p :D

mistanice
11-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
yes, YOU can or could have, but looks like waterboy was nice enough to do it for you! :p :D

of course I could have, I know where the information is but didn't feel like it lol. thanks waterboy

rockdale80
11-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Gilmer is not good. Everyone else will find out during the playoffs. They play a weak predistrict schedule and then have a patty cake match every week until the playoffs. Plus buckeye80 is a loser. :)

pirate4state
11-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Gilmer is not good. Everyone else will find out during the playoffs. They play a weak predistrict schedule and then have a patty cake match every week until the playoffs. Plus buckeye80 is a loser. :) BAHAHAHAHAHA :D :D

Necks_Fan
11-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Teams like Gilmer make me want to move from my town.

We field a GREAT team about once a decade. They field one every year.

"Makes me wanna puke!"

-Mike Gundy-

j_dog
11-04-2008, 04:48 PM
I have seen only two 3a games this year. Jasper-Gilmer and Diboll-Jasper.

This may not be what you want to hear but I think Diboll is very good. I think Gilmer is much better.

The question I have is of the Gilmer fans who saw both Jasper and Chapel Hill. Do you think Jasper would have a chance against Chapel Hill if that match-up develops? Many SE Texas fans seem to be writing Jasper off in advance should they meet Chapel Hill in the first round. I know Jasper was unable to slow the Gilmer offense, but Jasper did score some.

I know Chapel Hill has a top-notch RB, but what else do they have?

Dieselsmoke
11-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Carthage and Gilmer out of East Texas will have the deepest run in 3A. All the others are just pretenders.

j_dog
11-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Dieselsmoke
Carthage and Gilmer out of East Texas will have the deepest run in 3A. .....
I hear you! Both of these teams rolled right over Jasper. :(

rockdale80
11-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
I hear you! Both of these teams rolled right over Jasper. :(

Who hasn't this year? ;)

j/k...you know that though.

j_dog
11-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Who hasn't this year? ;)

j/k...you know that though.
Yes I know you are joking. But the difference with the other two losses is that with them we could rationalize how with some breaks and elimination of penalties Jasper might have won. But with Gilmer and Carthage it was downright embarrasing.

waterboy
11-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
I have seen only two 3a games this year. Jasper-Gilmer and Diboll-Jasper.

This may not be what you want to hear but I think Diboll is very good. I think Gilmer is much better.

The question I have is of the Gilmer fans who saw both Jasper and Chapel Hill. Do you think Jasper would have a chance against Chapel Hill if that match-up develops? Many SE Texas fans seem to be writing Jasper off in advance should they meet Chapel Hill in the first round. I know Jasper was unable to slow the Gilmer offense, but Jasper did score some.

I know Chapel Hill has a top-notch RB, but what else do they have?
Well, to be honest with ya, YES Jasper has a chance! The score is tied at 0 right now! It's hard to compare a week 0 opponent with a week 7 opponent, because one common opponent (Gilmer, the only one I'm familiar with) improved drastically defensively from week 1 to week 7. It's like comparing apples to oranges. I will tell you this, Chapel Hill IS good. They are a VERY run-heavy team, and should be with the likes of RB Matthew Tucker. He is not only fast, he is pretty big and elusive, too. That's not all they have on offense, either. They have a large offensive line and a cat-quick QB who actually reminds me of Jasper's QB Bailey. They don't pass much at all, and that could come back to haunt them somewhere down the road. If Jasper can somehow contain Tucker and the CH QB (his name slips me), no small task, then I can see Jasper winning this one. If they can't, it'll be a long night for y'all. Defensively, they are big and fast across the line, especially fast at the LB and DB positions. Sometimes they are overly aggressive which means a good short passing game, and some screens can hurt them, which Jasper is capable of. I honestly think this game could go either way, but I would have to give the edge to Chapel Hill, mainly 'cause they are more consistent. "Battle of the Bulldogs - which has the biggest bite?"

mistanice
11-04-2008, 06:23 PM
We're going to get killed by Gilmer if we meet up, which is pretty much certain in the 1st round.

Simple Man
11-04-2008, 06:30 PM
J_Dog-I think the Jasper/Chapel Hill game could be a good one. I cant remember much about the GIlmer/Jasper game because it was early in the year. I can tell you what I think about Chapel Hill. I think they have a good team. I was more impressed with the defense over the offense. The defense has outstanding team speed. They swarmed to the ball and would lay the wood on you when they got there. Gilmer is balanced so they had some success running and passing the ball. I think a team that can pass the ball can have good success against their defense. Offensively they rely for the most part on the running back. He has good size, but couldn't tell about his speed because he only broke free once. The qb is quick and is a much better runner than passer. If Jasper can make them have long drives, they seem to make mistakes by turnover or penalty. The key is to contain the running back and not give up the big play. This should be a good 1st round matchup for anyone looking for a good game. Two good teams. Good luck to both teams if this game happens.

Hupernikomen
11-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Gilmer sounded very balanced in the Jasper game.

If Chapel Hill is mostly a running team then Jasper has a much better chance that i previously thought.

thatboiwes
11-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Well, I guess I'll start with the breakdown of the roster. Gilmer has 60 players listed on the roster: 20 seniors, 30 juniors, 9 sophmores and 1 freshman.

Some of the top seniors are: WR/DB Zach Jones, DB/WR DJ Stanley, WR Hunter Harrison, WR/DB Prentiss Bell, OL Dakota Hagler and DL Jonathon Rockwell. Zach Jones is a really good defender and has some really good hands and is fast. DJ Stanley isn't as fast, but does a good job on coverage and is a pretty sure tackler. Dakota Hagler is big and strong and could have been a starter for longer had we not had our already monsterous OL the last few years. Jonathon Rockwell is just a beast on defense.

Our top juniors are (there's quite a few):WR/RB Kedon Franklin, WR/DB Tristan Holt, DL Luis Castro, WR/DB Braylon Webb, LB Vance Green, QB Darian Godfrey, DB/WR Paul Chesnut, DL/RB Marlon Granville, LB/RB JT Beecham, RB Jeremy Jackson and LB Mikey Wilson.

Our top sophmores are: K Adan Oliveres and LB/RB Gus Osborne. Adan has missed maybe 7 PAT's in the last 2 years including blocked PAT's. He nailed a 35-yard field goal last week that had the distance to be good from about 10 yards deeper. Gus has the nickname "Mini-Bus." He got that because if you looked at him in uniform, you would think that Justin Johnson was out there. Their build is pretty much the same, they even wear the same number. Gus, just being a sophmore, obviously isn't as strong as JJ, but he still has 2 years to grow. He is a hard hitter on defense and tough to bring down when he runs the ball. I honestly believe he can be every bit as good as JJ running the ball.

The lone freshmn is Luke Turner. He is a starting LB does the punting and serves as the backup QB. If Gilmer didn't already have an amazing QB right now, Luke would easily be the starting QB this year. I watched him in junior high and he was better than a lot of varsity QB's that I have seen. He is a great tackler and flies to the ball really well. The kid is an all around athlete.

Gilmer's schedule has been a little tougher this year than it has in recent years, but Gilmer's been able to pull through it. Four out of the 5 predistrict teams will likely be in the playoffs this season.

I found some stats on the Longview News-Journal's website. Obviously these are unofficial since they aren't directly from a Gilmer coach or anything.

Passing:

Darian Godfrey - 119-201, 1938 YRD's, 23 TD's, 7 INT's

Rushing:

Darian Godfrey - 101 ATT, 509 YRD's, 10 TD's
Jeremy Jackson - 70 ATT, 525 YRD's, 6 TD's
Gus Osborne - 19 ATT, 242 YRD's, 2 TD's
Marlon Granville - 24 ATT, 203 YRD's, 4 TD's
Josh Thompson - 20 ATT, 196 YRD's, 1 TD
JT Beecham - 14 ATT, 107 YRD's, 0 TD's

Recieving:

Zach Jones - 17 Rec., 329 YRD's, 2 TD's
Prentiss Bell - 20 Rec., 311 YRD's, 5 TD's
Kedon Franklin - 19 Rec., 239 YRD's, 2 TD's
Braylon Webb - 18 Rec., 238 YRD's, 2 TD's
Hunter Harrison - 9 Rec., 187 YRD's, 2 TD's
Daniel McLaren - 9 Rec., 176 YRD's, 2 TD's
JT Beecham - 5 Rec., 127 YRD's, 2 TD's
Jeremy Jackson - 8 Rec., 102 YRD's, 2 TD's

Those are not complete offensive stats. I just listed those with atleast 100 yards rushing and 100 yards recieving. There are atleast 13 players that have ran the ball and atleast 18 that have atleast 1 reception.

Gilmer is once again talented this year, but I think we will be much better next year. Most of our major contributers are juniors and will be back next year.