PDA

View Full Version : HAve you noticed in HS football....

Txbroadcaster
11-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Top ranked team RARELY and I mean VERY RARELY get beat by average to subpar teams in district....Yet in college it happens at least once a year

ex Florida losing to Ole Miss or USC losing to Oregon ST.

What is the difference?

JR2004
11-03-2008, 04:37 PM
The Modern Era!

Stownhorse
11-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Top ranked team RARELY and I mean VERY RARELY get beat by average to subpar teams in district....Yet in college it happens at least once a year

What is the difference?

Um talent level lmao. duh

jason
11-03-2008, 04:39 PM
colleges with division 1 recruits play other colleges with division 1 recruits...

high schools dont get to recruit their talent, but some are blessed with division 1 talent and some arent....

Bullaholic
11-03-2008, 04:45 PM
I think the difference is recruiting TXB. Colleges, even the ones with lesser reps, still manage to recruit pretty good athletes year-in, year-out. Occasionally, a few of those good recruiting classes come together to produce some good teams capable of knocking off a No. 1. In HS, you play with the players in your ISD, and in most cases, the good talent years do not come around that often.

popcorn screen
11-03-2008, 08:40 PM
coaches and kids get motivated for playing tough teams and every once in a while, a win happens

jambo67
11-03-2008, 09:18 PM
I think confidence has a lot to do with it. The average high school athlete may get a little intimidated playing a team considered better especially if the team is ranked. D1 athletes are D1 because they have confidence and don't care who they are playing or what the opponent is ranked, they too usually get beat but that's mainly because of coaching. The NCAA also cut the number of scholarship players a school can have on their roster and that also helped give some parity.

popcorn screen
11-03-2008, 09:30 PM
The D1 athletes at Brownwood have no confidence:p

Fal44
11-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by popcorn screen
The D1 athletes at Brownwood have no confidence:p

:clap:

jambo67
11-03-2008, 09:43 PM
If that's true it's a shame because the players aren't aware of their own team's history. There was a time if Brownwood's bus just showed up and the Lions were able to step off they had the intimidation factor in their favor.

WTF-82
11-03-2008, 11:36 PM

What is the difference?

Its called DIVISION 1 athletes high level of talent.

swstangs001
11-03-2008, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by jambo67
If that's true it's a shame because the players aren't aware of their own team's history. There was a time if Brownwood's bus just showed up and the Lions were able to step off they had the intimidation factor in their favor.

This post just made me wonder, when teams walked down the steps instead of the ramp at mustang bowl was it really because they thought they'd lose if they walked down the ramp?

DaHop72
11-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by swstangs001
This post just made me wonder, when teams walked down the steps instead of the ramp at mustang bowl was it really because they thought they'd lose if they walked down the ramp? Originally, both teams came down the ramp. After the Mustangs built the new field house on the north end, the ramp keepers became a "legendary myth" for some visting teams. Some refused because they thought it was bad luck, but for most it was a safety issue, players cleats were slipping walking down the incline.

WylieBulldog92
11-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Originally, both teams came down the ramp. After the Mustangs built the new field house on the north end, the ramp keepers became a "legendary myth" for some visting teams. Some refused because they thought it was bad luck, but for most it was a safety issue, players cleats were slipping walking down the incline.
It tired your legs when you walked back up it too!

charlesrixey
11-04-2008, 10:07 AM

What is the difference?

upsets are more rare the lower you go

why do you think the same 10-12 are in the playoffs in dIII every year?