PDA

View Full Version : Football Playoffs

hookandladder
11-03-2008, 07:11 AM
I have a question, who likes having 2 State Champion's in each classification. Back in my day you had 1 playoff team from each district and 1 State Champion, now you 2 State champion's from each class with some teams make the playoffs with 2 or 3 wins in a season. To me it's almost like Little League where let's make sure every little johnny get's to make the playoffs. Let hear it why you think they changed it to split divisons, also why is it that only football has done this. My opinion is this is just plain stupid and is just satisfying parents, don't try top tell me that some parents did not lobby for this to happen. So let hear it, remember each person has a right to his or her opinion.

3afan
11-03-2008, 07:17 AM
I dont see anything wrong with it --- it doesn't water down anything IMO. Let me ask this - WHAT DOES IT HURT?

When a player or fan relives their state title they are not going to apply an asterisk and say "but there were 2 3A champs in 2008 so my state championship doesnt mean as much". They are STATE CHAMPS, period!

Its a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP that they celebrate when they win and a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP that they remember!

And remember - its the schools that ultimately decide these things.

I_DONT_CARE
11-03-2008, 07:39 AM
WHO CARES? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hookandladder
11-03-2008, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
I dont see anything wrong with it --- it doesn't water down anything IMO. Let me ask this - WHAT DOES IT HURT?

When a player or fan relives their state title they are not going to apply an asterisk and say "but there were 2 3A champs in 2008 so my state championship doesnt mean as much". They are STATE CHAMPS, period!

Its a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP that they celebrate when they win and a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP that they remember!

And remember - its the schools that ultimately decide these things.

I understand about not applying an asterisk by it, just like when we beat you guy's in football. It just seems like High School football has taken the same approach that college has of not having a playoff and determine 1 true state champion. When we beat you in baseball that same year we were the best in Class 3A no doubt.

3afan
11-03-2008, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by I_DONT_CARE

tiresome shtick - go away :hand:

I_DONT_CARE
11-03-2008, 07:50 AM
:hand: NO

3afan
11-03-2008, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
... It just seems like High School football has taken the same approach that college has of not having a playoff and determine 1 true state champion. ....

what? then why not have 5A play 4A, 3A play 2A, etc. if you want 1 state champ

oh, and thanks for the reminders! :D

LH Panther Mom
11-03-2008, 08:44 AM
I'm curious to know which of these championships is more important than the other. What would your solution be?

As far as I know (which is sometimes less than I think I know), Superintendants dictate what changes are made to UIL policy in these types of situations, generally but not always, based on the wishes of their AD or coaches.

As far as comparing to college, we do have a playoff system unlike D1 colleges. Would it be better to have a handful of newspaper writers or a computer determine who the state champs are?

3A Division I - Aledo 14, Cuero 7
3A Division II - Newton 21, Daingerfield 0

3A Division I - Liberty Eylau 49, Mathis 6
3A Division II - Commerce 17, Sealy 10

3A Division I - Gatesville 14, Wylie (Abilene) 10
3A Division II - La Grange 20, Forney 17

3A Division I - Everman 25, Sinton 14
3A Division II - Commerce 14, La Grange 11

3A Division I - Everman 35, Burnet 14
3A Division II - Bandera 27, Greenwood 24 - OT(2)

3A Division I - Gainesville 35, Burnet 24
3A Division II - Atlanta 34, Marlin 0

3A Division I - Wylie (Abilene) 17, Cuero 14
3A Division II - Gilmer 49, Jasper 47

3A Division I - Wimberley 21, Gainesville 7
3A Division II - Tatum 38, Hutto 34

3A Division I - Texarkana Liberty-Eylau 35, Robinson 34
3A Division II - Liberty Hill 22, Celina 19

3A Division I - Liberty Hill 38, Gilmer 13
3A Division II - Celina 21, China Spring 14

3afan
11-03-2008, 08:46 AM
what she said ... and, regarding your state championsip victories in football & baseball --- are they less celebrated or not as significant since there were "multiple" 3A champs?

I'm thinkin' not ....

NastySlot
11-03-2008, 09:30 AM
im not a big fan of division championships i have always wondered why it's only done in football and not other sports.

as i said not a big fan....but i m not going to knock the teams that have won titles in years of multiple divisions...those teams worked just a hard as the ones that won titles in the years of single champions per class.

TigerFan51
11-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by I_DONT_CARE

If they truly don't care, why post anything and it's always the same, "Who cares?"

All out CAT
11-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Back in your day how many schools and how many students were there?

Volumes speak loudly. I wasn't part of any championship team, only part of a team that got ousted from making the playoffs because we were the third team in line. Tied for second and lost out because of whatever tie-breaking rules there were at the time. I didn't hang my head on it though. Giving the size of schools and such now-a-days, we probably wouldn't even have seen the tie portion. I tend to like it because of the size differences, like in 3A. You have schools that just undercut 4A and qualify for 3A. And you have those that have grown tremendously and are 3A about to be 4A. It tends to give the guys that pretty much keep the same enrollment each year their "real" chance.

i.e. when I played 1A ball 17 years ago, Prosper was 1A. Now they are 3A and I've heard that at the next alignment they will be 4A.

Ranger Mom
11-03-2008, 09:53 AM
I have a question, who likes having 2 State Champion's in each classification. Back in my day you had 1 playoff team from each district and 1 State Champion, now you 2 State champion's from each class with some teams make the playoffs with 2 or 3 wins in a season. To me it's almost like Little League where let's make sure every little johnny get's to make the playoffs. Let hear it why you think they changed it to split divisons, also why is it that only football has done this. My opinion is this is just plain stupid and is just satisfying parents, don't try top tell me that some parents did not lobby for this to happen. So let hear it, remember each person has a right to his or her opinion.

I like it....it gives me a chance to have back to back 3A championship games to attend, if I so chose!!!:D

pirate4state
11-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I like it....it gives me a chance to have back to back 3A championship games to attend, if I so chose!!!:D :clap: I agree!

BILLYFRED0000
11-03-2008, 10:28 AM

I believe it is the same thing as having 10 divisions. Texas has a large disparity in school sizes. Some would argue that by this logic we should have only one state champion in all classifications.

IMHO, because of the numbers, this is about the fairest and easiest way to insure that schools of at least close to like sizes (apples to apples) compete against each other as opposed to the huge advantage a large school classification would have against a small school.

headhunter
11-03-2008, 12:00 PM
UIL gets more money by having more games and more teams play in the playoffs. Thats what it's about - MONEY.

LH Panther Mom
11-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by headhunter
UIL gets more money by having more games and more teams play in the playoffs. Thats what it's about - MONEY.
More schools get more money as well!

If "parents" played a key role (just playing devil's advocate) in getting additional teams IN the playoffs, it seems that those parents that have a problem with extra teams should get together and try to have the same impact on getting it reversed. :)

hookandladder
11-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
im not a big fan of division championships i have always wondered why it's only done in football and not other sports.

as i said not a big fan....but i m not going to knock the teams that have won titles in years of multiple divisions...those teams worked just a hard as the ones that won titles in the years of single champions per class.

I am also not knocking teams that have won State Titles, we have won State titles when there was 1 State Champion and 2 State Champions in each divsion. I just do agree with the system that is in place right now, you do not do it in any other sport so why should football be any different. The old system worked well so why mess with it.

hookandladder
11-03-2008, 12:23 PM
what? then why not have 5A play 4A, 3A play 2A, etc. if you want 1 state champ

oh, and thanks for the reminders! :D

I did say 1 overall state champion, 1 state champion at each class level. Just like all other high school sports. 1 True Champion at each Classification.

3afan
11-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by headhunter

do your homework and dont just jump on the "all about the $" bandwagon .....

hookandladder
11-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by All out CAT
Back in your day how many schools and how many students were there?

Volumes speak loudly. I wasn't part of any championship team, only part of a team that got ousted from making the playoffs because we were the third team in line. Tied for second and lost out because of whatever tie-breaking rules there were at the time. I didn't hang my head on it though. Giving the size of schools and such now-a-days, we probably wouldn't even have seen the tie portion. I tend to like it because of the size differences, like in 3A. You have schools that just undercut 4A and qualify for 3A. And you have those that have grown tremendously and are 3A about to be 4A. It tends to give the guys that pretty much keep the same enrollment each year their "real" chance.

i.e. when I played 1A ball 17 years ago, Prosper was 1A. Now they are 3A and I've heard that at the next alignment they will be 4A.

I seem to remember after they started the big school, little school playoffs that there were teams winning or playing for State Championships in big school that had a smaller enrollment then the little schools. So #'s do not always add up to sucess.