PDA

View Full Version : Rivalry Games

headhunter
11-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Thoughts on how teams, fans, coaches, and players react to rivalry games.

Being from Cuero, Our rivals are Gonzales and Yoakum. When these teams matched up it was always a war. Every now and then one team has a down year and the rivalry tends to not be such a big thing because you know who is going to win. But when both teams are competitive then it is usually a dog fight. Also their will tend to be a few extra events that take place. Examples: dead turkeys throw on the field, paint the other teams field with your school colors, toilet paper the other teams school, steal their mascot, and many other things. I just wonder if other schools tend to do the same thing and if so is this acceptable?

I personally like it when there is a little extra fuel added to the fire. I like it when a team/coach really puts it on the other team. I have seen Cuero put it on teams and I have seen teams put points and run it up on Cuero before. I remember one year when Cuero was up like 49-0 and Yoakum pulled a trick play out in the 4th quarter and scrored, Coach Finley and the Gobblers then put the starters back in and score twice by throwing the football and making a statement. I can remember growing up and their was always trash talk the whole week on message boards and hear-say.

I actually like it, but I have heard a lot of comments on threads on how teams should not be so mean, I kind of like the old days, what do y'all think about rival games and how they are played?

JR2004
11-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Rivalry games are fun. We have our huge neighborhood rivalry with Lincoln and then another one just behind that one with Roosevelt. There's not the hate that you have between the schools when we play Lincoln, but Velt is getting there. Ranchview has a good shot to become a rival of ours in football and basketball as well.

I wish we were back in 4A though. Several teams that we had good rivalries with in football and basketball are there, but we don't play them anymore. The only 3A rival we have is Velt. The rest of the games really don't have any kind of added fuel at all. Even the playoff games are just so-so when compared to playing Lincoln.

Cuero is lucky they have some teams down that way they know they'll play every year and can build up a bit of animosity towards. It's hard to get fired up to play Castleberry, Diamond Hill-Jarvis and Carter-Riverside. Those Ft. Worth schools just don't seem to care that much about sports.

pirate4state
11-02-2008, 05:28 PM
As long as "pranks" stay clean and free of criminal activity, rivalries ARE fun!

eagles_victory
11-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Rivalry games are fun. We have our huge neighborhood rivalry with Lincoln and then another one just behind that one with Roosevelt. There's not the hate that you have between the schools when we play Lincoln, but Velt is getting there. Ranchview has a good shot to become a rival of ours in football and basketball as well.

I wish we were back in 4A though. Several teams that we had good rivalries with in football and basketball are there, but we don't play them anymore. The only 3A rival we have is Velt. The rest of the games really don't have any kind of added fuel at all. Even the playoff games are just so-so when compared to playing Lincoln.

Cuero is lucky they have some teams down that way they know they'll play every year and can build up a bit of animosity towards. It's hard to get fired up to play Castleberry, Diamond Hill-Jarvis and Carter-Riverside. Those Ft. Worth schools just don't seem to care that much about sports. I know the feeling we havent played one of our main rivals Teague in 5 years bc they went to 2a and now we dont play our other main rival Mexia because they went to the Waco district.

Buckeye1980
11-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Gilmer -Gladewater....is classic rivalry...14 miles apart Battle of the G-towns....same school colors...have now played 59 times...Giler leads the series 28-27-4 ...untile last Friday night the series was tied.....seemed more intense when both teams are competitive but always intense. I have been out of school for 27 years but Gilmer - Gladewater still stikes a nerve to me whenever they play

Rabid Cougar
11-02-2008, 07:45 PM
I went to school in Cameron and we have rivalries that go back for years. Not just Rockdale but Taylor, Rosebud Lott, Caldwell and even Belton before they went 5 A. The big rivaly in playoffs was with Newton.

At China Spring, I've been here since '91 but in 2A there was Clifton, McGregor and Lorena. PURE hatred that still exist today. Since 3 A there is the Old 17 3A (Waco area 3 A's) and then there is Marlin, playoff nemisis for years.

grmfan93
11-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
As long as "pranks" stay clean and free of criminal activity, rivalries ARE fun!

last time we played breck they spraypainted our busses after the game...but then we took their horse and painted it blue and red