PDA

View Full Version : Paris vs. Van Alystene

catgut
11-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Friday night in Paris. At stake is the district championship. Looking for a good game but I'm picking my Paris boys. It should be a fun game to watch!

Twirling Time
11-03-2008, 08:38 AM
It'll be a better game than a lot of people think. I think Paris has to be favored because of their speed, but VA's offense has been hard to stop.

The VA-Paris winner will play the Celina-Argyle loser, and the VA-Paris loser will play the Celina-Argyle winner (unless North Lamar screws up and loses to Commerce).

Any talk about sites for those games (plus Prosper-North Lamar?)

McKinney or Greenville seems logical. I know Tom Bean has Greenville on Saturday afternoon. Maybe Wylie is available — it looks like a jumbo version of VA's new stadium.

catgut
11-03-2008, 10:30 AM
I know Van Alystene will be hard to stop. How is their defense however? I really know very little about them, other than their quarterback is the one player to stop.

Somewhere in the McKinney area sounds like most logical choice for a playoff in all of those playoff games.

orange machine
11-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by catgut
I know Van Alystene will be hard to stop. How is their defense however? I really know very little about them, other than their quarterback is the one player to stop.

Somewhere in the McKinney area sounds like most logical choice for a playoff in all of those playoff games.

I heard that the VA defesne cannot stop the run and as far as offesne if you stop there qb they have nothing else. Just what i heard could be wrong.

Phil C
11-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Everyone please bear in mind that the Paris in this thread is a Texas city located close to Oklaoma about 100 miles Northeast of Dallas, Texas. It is not to be confused with Paris, France where the Tour de France concludes in July of each year.

JR2004
11-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Everyone please bear in mind that the Paris in this thread is a Texas city located close to Oklaoma about 100 miles Northeast of Dallas, Texas. It is not to be confused with Paris, France where the Tour de France concludes in July of each year.

Thank you for clearing that up Phil!

charlesrixey
11-04-2008, 10:05 AM

whew!

:)

that will save us in travel expenses for sure!

BILLYFRED0000
11-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by orange machine
I heard that the VA defesne cannot stop the run and as far as offesne if you stop there qb they have nothing else. Just what i heard could be wrong.

That would be the scouting report I have as well. Their QB is a big strong guy along the lines of hunter nix. Their line is not as good as Prosper tho and their D is about even with Whitesboro more or less.

catgut
11-04-2008, 10:25 AM

BUT Paris, Texas does have our own Tour de Paris where thousands come each July to ride. Come try it sometime!
We also have our own eiffle tower which you would ride by!

ssgmp5150
11-04-2008, 11:00 AM
I am picking Van Alstyne in a close one! Let's say 17-14!

Dieselsmoke
11-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by ssgmp5150
I am picking Van Alstyne in a close one! Let's say 17-14!
Offensive game, will be more points scored. 42-35 Paris

VWG
11-04-2008, 02:45 PM
IMO, this district is one of the weakest in the state. Mainly due to three pushover teams in Bonham, Anna, and Commerce.
Commerce has really fallen off from where they once were.
They were only suiting up about 17-19 kids for JV and no freshman team. I don't know if this was for the whole season or just in the past few weeks.
What is the deal with Commerce?

BILLYFRED0000
11-04-2008, 03:46 PM
lots of bad attitude. Lineweaver was the last to get anything out of those guys consistently.

catgut
11-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by VWG
IMO, this district is one of the weakest in the state. Mainly due to three pushover teams in Bonham, Anna, and Commerce.
Commerce has really fallen off from where they once were.
They were only suiting up about 17-19 kids for JV and no freshman team. I don't know if this was for the whole season or just in the past few weeks.
What is the deal with Commerce?

IMO the bottom three teams are extremely weak but the top three are the same as any other district. Don't put down the top three because the bottom three are weak. We may go 0-3 as a district but don' think we will be pushovers.

CelinaCatFan
11-04-2008, 05:57 PM
I'll take VA to win a close one by the score of 31-27.

Dieselsmoke
11-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
lots of bad attitude. Lineweaver was the last to get anything out of those guys consistently.

Actually Rick Langley got it started in 1991 and the 1992 team went went to the quarter finals under Langley. Lineweaver came to Commerce in 1993 and took them to the finals in 1995 and 1997 where they lost to Sealy both times 21-20 and 28-21. Lineweaver won state in 1999 against Sealy 17-10. The next year Steve Bragg took Commerce to the quarter finals losing to Forney 24-14. In 2001 Terry Cron took them back to the finals and they won against La Grange 14-11. In 2002 Commerce lost in the area round to New Boston 9-6 and that is the deepest run they have had since. You are correct Lineweaver was the last to have any consistancy in Commerce, the participation in Commerce is at an all time low very few kids go out for the football program. After the success they have had you have to wonder why.

Twirling Time
11-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Commerce and VA now have practically the same enrollment. Except VA is growing and Commerce is shrinking. Commerce will be close to dropping to 2A next realignment even if they only shrink a little more.

They don't have the talent base relative to everyone else anymore. They were a good-size 3A when Lineweaver was there. It's a factor, but not an excuse. Sounds like they need someone new to come in and rebuild the program from junior high up.

VWG
11-05-2008, 06:19 PM
I can see why towns in West Texas are shrinking in population, but in the Eastern part of the state that hasn't been the norm.
What's causing the drop in enrollment?

Txbroadcaster
11-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by VWG
I can see why towns in West Texas are shrinking in population, but in the Eastern part of the state that hasn't been the norm.
What's causing the drop in enrollment?

U have three things in Commerce

Wal-Mart..Budweiser and the college

after that everything else is small town jobs which means no other company has a ton of people working for them

Just not a place a young couple will go with their young kids to build a family.

Dieselsmoke
11-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
U have three things in Commerce

Wal-Mart..Budweiser and the college

after that everything else is small town jobs which means no other company has a ton of people working for them

Just not a place a young couple will go with their young kids to build a family.

Didn't they used to have a big door or window mfg, some sort of brass mfg or pvc mfg that were pretty big employeers? I guess most work in Greenville?

Txbroadcaster
11-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Dieselsmoke
Didn't they used to have a big door or window mfg, some sort of brass mfg or pvc mfg that were pretty big employeers? I guess most work in Greenville?

yea right off of the road heading to SS, I forgot about that, but it was not a real big company

when I was going to school there you either worked at the big 4 or Greenville because most of the fast food type jobs were taken by HS and college students

and that is the other problem..the competition for the local jobs between the town and the college

catgut
11-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by orange machine

Van Alystene's quarterback was their team. He made some big throws but the pressure bothered him all night. As for their defense they had problems with rushing and passing defense. Most of that probably had to do with the speed of Paris.
I don't see them hanging with Celina although they will score a few points on them.