PDA

View Full Version : New BCS?

Txbroadcaster
11-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Where does TTech go? How far does Texas fall?

I dont see how they can drop Texas to far, I dont like em below OU, but that will happen, but I will really be mad if they drop them below OSU who they JUST beat or a USC who lost to an unranked team..or even a Florida who lost at home to an unranked team

simple fact is still in a one month stretch Texas went 3-1 agianst top 10 teams

charlesrixey
11-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Where does TTech go? How far does Texas fall?

I dont see how they can drop Texas to far, I dont like em below OU, but that will happen, but I will really be mad if they drop them below OSU who they JUST beat or a USC who lost to an unranked team..or even a Florida who lost at home to an unranked team

simple fact is still in a one month stretch Texas went 3-1 agianst top 10 teams

i think it goes

#1 Alabama
#2 PSU
#3 Oklahoma
#4 Texas Tech
#5 Florida
#6 USC
#7 Texas
#8 Oklahoma State

personally, texas should be no lower than #5

29-3aFAN
11-01-2008, 11:29 PM
They shouldn't fall far because of the points system. They gained alot winning the last 3.

DDBooger
Call me crazy, but media wont allow Tech to leapfrog USC or Florida. I hope so, cause they played a great game, but USC is the media darlin and Florida is playing great ball and has anihiliated LSU and Georgia

sinton66
Don't bet any serious money on the media NOT taking a dump on Texas.

headhunter
The BCS is trash. FLAT OUT GARBAGE!!!

THis is what it should be.

1 Alabama
2 Penn State
3 Texas Tech
4 Texas
5 Florida
6 Oklahoma
7 USC or OSU
The rest I don' care.

If Tech wins out then they will jump Penn State or Alabama. Their could be a big mess in the Big XII South if Tech loses to OSU and OSU beats OU.

charlesrixey
11-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by 29-3aFAN
They shouldn't fall far because of the points system. They gained alot winning the last 3.

i can only hope

ironic that UT now needs to root for both OK teams for the rest of the season!

JasperDog94
11-01-2008, 11:31 PM
What happens if UT, Tech, and OU all end up with 1 loss in conference?

Txbroadcaster
11-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94

Highest ranked team I THINK wins the South

injuredinmelee
11-01-2008, 11:33 PM

i think OSU and Texas are the only schools that get out of the south with one loss each.

charlesrixey
11-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by headhunter

If Tech wins out then they will jump Penn State or Alabama. Their could be a big mess in the Big XII South if Tech loses to OSU and OSU beats OU.

i alluded to this in the game thread

Texas can still win the b12

there could also be a 3-way tie for first if OU beats tech

LH Panther Mom
11-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
i alluded to this in the game thread

Texas can still win the b12

there could also be a 3-way tie for first if OU beats tech
You "alluded" to Texas & OU being the best!

charlesrixey
11-01-2008, 11:37 PM
bottom line, i still feel very good about the longhorns, who have just completed a rediculously difficult stretch and very nearly pulled it off

still think they go 11-1 and reach the BCS, although whether or not they play in the b12 title game

Txbroadcaster
11-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

I honestly feel those are the two best teams with TTech and OSU right on there tail

and before u say but TTech beat Texas, I still think Texas is overall a better team, just like honestly, I think OU is a better team overall than Texas even though Texas beat them.

BobcatBenny
Tech should get to go to #1 for at least a week.

They earned it.

Penn State and Alabama did not beat the #1 team this week. Hell, Penn State took the week off. And Alabama had a non-conference game?

And there is no way you could justify OU above Tech.

I know it won't happen, but Tech should move to #1. :(

charlesrixey

i meant the tie situation

JasperDog94
11-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Tech should get to go to #1 for at least a week.

They earned it.

Penn State and Alabama did not beat the #1 team this week. Hell, Penn State took the week off. And Alabama had a non-conference game?

And there is no way you could justify OU above Tech.

I know it won't happen, but Tech should move to #1. :( Honestly, the best thing that could happen to Tech is for them to stay ranked 3 or 4. This would give Leach plenty of motivation for the players going forward.

LH Panther Mom
11-01-2008, 11:43 PM
I honestly feel those are the two best teams with TTech and OSU right on there tail

and before u say but TTech beat Texas, I still think Texas is overall a better team, just like honestly, I think OU is a better team overall than Texas even though Texas beat them.
Guess the better team(s) didn't prove it that day on the scoreboard(s).

Txbroadcaster
11-01-2008, 11:45 PM

And that happens all the time..Just like The Giants beating the Pats last year, I still would say the Pats are the better team, but lost that game

Or USC losing to Oregon State...Does anyone think the Beavers are a better team?

As the old saying goes, That is why you play the game

coach
11-01-2008, 11:46 PM
or usc losing to texas in 2005

BobcatBenny
11-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Honestly, the best thing that could happen to Tech is for them to stay ranked 3 or 4. This would give Leach plenty of motivation for the players going forward.
At worst you could wrongly justify two undefeateds and mistakenly put them ahead of Tech. Media types do that.

And ... you are correct that Tech is gonna need all the motivation it can get over the next two weeks. And then not look past Baylor.

It would just be great to see a #1 next to the double T's if even for just a week. ;)

DDBooger
11-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by coach
or usc losing to texas in 2005 with a whole month to prepare and in southern california, I'd say overcoming some great odds in that one!
USC had a better team perhaps
UT had the best player on the field

bwdlionfan
11-01-2008, 11:49 PM
Best scenario for Texas now would be to 1 win out, 2 have TT beat okie state and lose to OU, then have okie state beat OU. Texas would have the best record and would be above all of them in the BCS standings. I think Texas' chances for an MNC appearance are over though, I don't see all of that happening AND 3 of the 4: USC, Penn State, Bama, Florida, etc losing

29-3aFAN
11-01-2008, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by headhunter

THis is what it should be.

1 Alabama
2 Penn State
3 Texas Tech
4 Texas
5 Florida
6 Oklahoma
7 USC or OSU
The rest I don' care.

That's the way I would put it except flip OSU and OU and throw USC around #11 or #12. But USC will prolly find their way into the national championship because the media is all over their nutz.

DDBooger
11-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
Best scenario for Texas now would be to 1 win out, 2 have TT beat okie state and lose to OU, then have okie state beat OU. Texas would have the best record and would be above all of them in the BCS standings. I think Texas' chances for an MNC appearance are over though, I don't see all of that happening AND 3 of the 4: USC, Penn State, Bama, Florida, etc losing got a feeling its gonna be a big mess for the championship game and we may have co champions again with the AP choosing another champion

coach
11-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
with a whole month to prepare and in southern california, I'd say overcoming some great odds in that one!
USC had a better team perhaps
UT had the best player on the field

29-3aFAN
11-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by coach
or usc losing to texas in 2005

Texas was better than USC and proved it. The media made USC into the best thing ever that year.

headhunter
The media will not allow Tech to jump to #1. However they deserve to be at least #3, USC and Florida should not be ranked above Texas or OU. USC and Florida lost to unranked teams. Texas and OU did not. You can not justify that. I am a Texas fan but I will give Tech the credit, if they win the next two weeks then they deserve to be #1.

This is what should happen. Throw the BCS out and take the top 8 teams and make a playoff bracket. Then we don't have to debate it. We can argue over #8 and #9 ranked teams.

charlesrixey

tech played kansas, kansas st, nebraska and a&M

texas played #1 ou, #11 Missouri, #7 OSU and then #7 tech

when tech plays #3 OU and #8 OSU, and OU and OSU play each other, then we will have a better picture of where the teams stand

If it ends up as

Texas 7-1
Oklahoma 7-1
OSU 6-2
Tech 6-2,

which i think is possible, then the end result is that UT and OU play in the BCS

regardless of who was best on which day, the point is to be the best on the most days

29-3aFAN
11-01-2008, 11:54 PM
[i]
This is what should happen. Throw the BCS out and take the top 8 teams and make a playoff bracket. Then we don't have to debate it. We can argue over #8 and #9 ranked teams. [/B]

AMEN! I wish.

LH Panther Mom
11-01-2008, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
tech played kansas, kansas st, nebraska and a&M

texas played #1 ou, #11 Missouri, #7 OSU and then #7 tech

when tech plays #3 OU and #8 OSU, and OU and OSU play each other, then we will have a better picture of where the teams stand

If it ends up as

Texas 7-1
Oklahoma 7-1
OSU 6-2
Tech 6-2,

which i think is possible, then the end result is that UT and OU play in the BCS

regardless of who was best on which day, the point is to be the best on the most days
And the "most" days this season, Tech's undefeated. So the schedule is at fault? Tech played lesser teams which one would "think" would have them less prepared for the battle tested UT.

Txbroadcaster
11-01-2008, 11:59 PM
And the "most" days this season, Tech's undefeated. So the schedule is at fault? Tech played lesser teams which one would "think" would have them less prepared for the battle tested UT.

I dont think he is saying the schedule is at fault

he is saying Texas has run the gaunlet, TTech is beginning theres and he said lets see where it all falls once ALL the teams in the South have played each other

BobcatBenny
11-01-2008, 11:59 PM
You are right Mom, I hear the pundits talking about what a big advantage Texas had because they were well tested and knew how to win the big game. So, poor little Tech didn't stand a chance against such a well tested team. :D

Eagle 1
11-02-2008, 12:02 AM
I dont think he is saying the schedule is at fault

he is saying Texas has run the gaunlet, TTech is beginning theres and he said lets see where it all falls once ALL the teams in the South have played each other

Well then you would agree that Texas is the toughest team in the "gaunlet" that Tech will face?

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2008, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
Well then you would agree that Texas is the toughest team in the "gaunlet" that Tech will face?

Well seeing as this is the first game of the gaunlet for Tech then yes

I think OU is better than Texas and OSU is on par with Texas

LH Panther Mom
11-02-2008, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
You are right Mom, I hear the pundits talking about what a big advantage Texas had because they were well tested and knew how to win the big game. So, poor little Tech didn't stand a chance against such a well tested team. :D
Somebody should've informed the Raiders. ;)

WylieBulldog92
11-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Texas faced their toughest opponent in their gauntlet to remember?

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2008, 12:06 AM
ESPN projects that BCS as

1 Alabama
2 PState
3 TTech
4. Texas

Eagle 1
11-02-2008, 12:06 AM
Well seeing as this is the first game of the gaunlet for Tech then yes

I think OU is better than Texas and OSU is on par with Texas

I mean after all Texas "was" a legitimate #1 team right?

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2008, 12:10 AM
I mean after all Texas "was" a legitimate #1 team right?

Show me where I said Texas was a 1...BUT the case can be made that they were a legit #1

Texas beat the number 1 team and two other top 10 teams in three straight weeks

But being 1 in a poll does not mean your the best team

I still think Texas caught OU at the right time and beat them...I dont know if they could beat OU again.

Just like I dont know if TTech could beat Texas again

29-3aFAN
11-02-2008, 12:10 AM
ESPN projects that BCS as

1 Alabama
2 PState
3 TTech
4. Texas

Amen. The way it should be.

Eagle 1
11-02-2008, 12:13 AM
Show me where I said Texas was a 1...BUT the case can be made that they were a legit #1

Texas beat the number 1 team and two other top 10 teams in three straight weeks

But being 1 in a poll does not mean your the best team

I still think Texas caught OU at the right time and beat them...I dont know if they could beat OU again.

Just like I dont know if TTech could beat Texas again

Show me where "I" said Texas was #1?
How old are you?

Texas beat the number 1 team, just as Tech beat the number 1 team.
Bottom Line.

29-3aFAN
11-02-2008, 12:15 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/poll/index?pCat=46&sCat=209

Vote now.

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2008, 12:17 AM
Show me where "I" said Texas was #1?
How old are you?

Texas beat the number 1 team, just as Tech beat the number 1 team.
Bottom Line.

I am 33

and you

And what does who Texas beat and Tech beat have to do with ANY of what the discussion at hand was?

The discussion was lets see where the teams are once EVERYONE plays each other and then we will know where everyone is at and what bowl they are going to

Who-dun-it!!?
11-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Tech is my Team!!

But I think they could win out from here and the BCS Retards still won't give them what they deserve.

LH Panther Mom
11-02-2008, 12:20 AM
The discussion was lets see where the teams are once EVERYONE plays each other and then we will know where everyone is at and what bowl they are going to
I thought it was the new BCS rankings? :vrycnfsd: :vrycnfsd:

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2008, 12:21 AM
I thought it was the new BCS rankings? :vrycnfsd: :vrycnfsd:

LOL well it started there

charlesrixey
11-02-2008, 12:23 AM

not necessarily

i think many would argue, including fans and media, that the stretch texas went prior to this game played a role in their performance (especially in the first half)

to lose their top two d-linemen, my 'boy' quan, and still come within one second of beating yet another top ten team (on the road) that tells me they will be fine

i would love for Tech to represent texas in the national title game, if the longhorns couldn't

but given the state of the big 12, i don't think they are good enough to do what texas did

charlesrixey
11-02-2008, 12:25 AM
ESPN BCS analyst says the new BCS will likely say
#1 Bama
#2 PSU
#3 Tech
#4 UT
#5 OU

if UT indeed only falls to four, then they will be just fine in the long run

Eagle 1
11-02-2008, 12:28 AM
I am 33

and you

And what does who Texas beat and Tech beat have to do with ANY of what the discussion at hand was?

I asked your age because of your adolescent reply's.
I asked if Texas was a legitimate number 1 team, and you tried to spin the question by implying that YOU never said they were a number 1 team.

Then you said Texas had beat the number 1 team (OU) and I responded by saying that Tech had also beat the number 1 team (texas).

Now mean while back at the ranch.............
If by saying the "gauntlet schedule" Tech faces is Texas, OU, and Oklahoma State, then one can conclude that beating Texas would be the toughest team on that list since they "were" the number 1 team.

BTW, I'm 42.

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2008, 12:32 AM
I asked if Texas was a legitimate number 1 team, and you tried to spin the question by implying that YOU never said they were a number 1 team.

Then you said Texas had beat the number 1 team (OU) and I responded by saying that Tech had also beat the number 1 team (texas).

If by saying the "gauntlet schedule" Tech faces is Texas, OU, and Oklahoma State, then one can conclude that beating Texas would be the toughest team on that list since they "were" the number 1 team.

BTW, I'm 42.

Not sure how my reply was adolecent but ok

and as I said earlier..just because Texas was rated 1 does not mean I think they would beat OU again..I felt Texas caught OU at the perfect time and got the win.

WHERE you play is huge..TTech has to go to OU I think that is huge, just like OSU had to go to Austin and now to TTech, I think that is HUGE...OU has to go to OSU, again HUGE

So once again..just because Texas was 1 when TTech beat them, that does not mean that is the best Team TTech will play by the time the season is done

charlesrixey
11-02-2008, 12:32 AM

BTW, I'm 42.

the argument isn't just that texas lost to tech and now they should be #1 just because they beat the #1 team. Texas has also played someone other than tech, and given the strength of the last four weeks for texas, tech will obviously be #1 if they win next two weeks.

It's not just to say that now the road is downhill because they beat texas, it's playing 3 top ten teams in a row and having to keep coming back each week.

Eagle 1
11-02-2008, 12:37 AM
I'm more worried about Oklahoma State then OU.
I dont think OU is as good as Ok-Lite.
Kansas went to Norman and traded TD's with OU in the first half of the game, and you seen what Tech done to Kansas.

Eagle 1
11-02-2008, 12:39 AM
Anyway, I'm going to bed....
GUNS UP!

pirate4state
11-02-2008, 12:39 AM
I'm more worried about Oklahoma State then OU.
I dont think OU is as good as Ok-Lite.
Kansas went to Norman and traded TD's with OU in the first half of the game, and you seen what Tech done to Kansas.

next week's game is gonna be HUGE! Oklahoma State is riding high after their big win tonight. Tech is riding high after their win. Can't ask for much more! Game Day in Lubbock again?

This is why ya gotta love college football!!! And I'll be rooting for Tech because I won't root for an Oklahoma team! That's just un-Texan! :D

BobcatBenny
11-02-2008, 09:26 AM
A small consolation for Tech.

Sagarin's computer ratings have Tech at #1. :)

King_LeYoeNidas
11-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Texas playing without Cosby has the same impact as Tech playing without Crabtree. Not to mention the loss of Orakpo. It was a great game but with the exception of that last drive, Tech was owned in the 2nd half and they damn well know it. IMO, the shouldn't even leapfrog Texas. But regardless.....need Oklahoma to beat Tech and OSU to beat Oklahoma. Awesome class by the Tech fans after the game btw :rolleyes:

bobcat1
11-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Will this make any difference in the poll? The Winner (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ToWiXoL9Rk&eurl=http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Texas-wrests-victory-from-defeat-promptly-drops?urn=ncaaf,11) :D

Eagle 1
11-02-2008, 10:41 AM
I'm predicting;

1. Alabama
2. Texas Tech
3. Penn State
4. Utah
5. Florida
6. Texas

If Tech gets beat I know what will be said, but it sure will be nice to read on WHY Tech won the game.

I'm quoting myself from page 5 of the Texas/Tech thread, and I was right.
Everything from "to much time left on the clock" to the "refs" was used.
I do agree the refs missed some calls on BOTH sides of the ball.

GUNS UP! :)

King_LeYoeNidas
11-02-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm going to nominate myself for worst week ever. Check this out.
Friday - Yoemen lose
Saturday - Longhorns lose
Sunday - Cowboys likely to lose
pfft

NOOOOOOOOoooooooo!!!!

LH Panther Mom
11-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by King_LeYoeNidas
Texas playing without Cosby has the same impact as Tech playing without Crabtree. Not to mention the loss of Orakpo. It was a great game but with the exception of that last drive, Tech was owned in the 2nd half and they damn well know it. IMO, the shouldn't even leapfrog Texas. But regardless.....need Oklahoma to beat Tech and OSU to beat Oklahoma. Awesome class by the Tech fans after the game btw :rolleyes:
:bigcry: :weeping: :bigcry: :weeping: :bigcry:

"With the exception of that last drive" - it still counts. With the exception of letting UT get in FG range twice the first half, Tech owned UT. Ownage is cancelled out.....SCOREBOARD rules.

King_LeYoeNidas
11-02-2008, 10:55 AM
yeah we'll see what happens when Tech decides to choke out on an opportunity and not even get a BCS bowl

LH Panther Mom
11-02-2008, 11:01 AM
yeah we'll see what happens when Tech decides to choke out on an opportunity and not even get a BCS bowl
So, if Tech loses to OSU or OU that would be choking? The only "choke" loss would be if they lost to Baylor.

PPHSfan
11-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Alabama could easily lose to LSU in Death Valley.

Tech could still lose to OSU.

Penn State has not beaten anyone.

USC lost to Oregon State, but Heck Texas could lose to A&M after Thanksgiving.

It's still wide open.

Eagle 1
11-02-2008, 11:26 AM

Using that theory, I guess Texas "choked" last nigth too.

OldBison75
11-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Guys, this argument is not even funny anymore. Tech beat Texas, and now has two very tough opponents coming up. If Tech wins out, they should probably be number 1. If they stumble, then the field for BCS teams get more muddled. I think that because of schedules, there will only be Penn State at undefeated by bowl time and the other team in the Championship Game will have one loss going in. Could be Texas Tech, Texas, Oklahoma. or OK State.

What really matters here is that Tech has their own destiny in their own control. Win out and the question is moot. Lose to Oklahoma or Oklahoma State, and the pollster will have a mess on his hands. The BCS system will probably make the decision on the Championship team based on toughness of schedule and any of the Big 12 Teams have a valid argument for being the choice because of the 12's records and rankings.

Right now, my top three teams are all Big 12.