PDA

View Full Version : Appreciation of the Game

wildstangs
11-19-2003, 10:24 PM
Good story on one of our 3A Downlowers!

Reynolds' strong character built on loss and gain

By Joshua Parrott / Reporter-News Staff Writer
November 19, 2003

Recognizing Wylie High School senior Jason Reynolds’ dedication and commitment for success on the football field doesn’t take much time.

Just look at his career-high six catches and 149 receiving yards he posted in a loss earlier this season to Graham High School or the momentum-building 8-yard touchdown reception in the first half of last week’s 28-21 double-overtime bi-district playoff win over the Steers.

The number of mind-numbing hits delivered by the 6-foot, 150-pound defensive back ranks among the most on the team.
But the drive behind Reynolds takes more than just a keen set of eyes. His appreciation of football isn’t all about him: it’s about grasping the opportunity his older brother Scott missed.

"Scott was 16 at the time," Reynolds said, "and loved playing football; he was a sophomore and played (football) for Abilene High. I was only 12 then, and he died in a car wreck. It’s always helped me appreciate things and know that not everything is guaranteed. We’ve really learned that this season."

Even four years after losing his older brother, the quiet, polite Reynolds, who found refuge on the basketball court as a freshman at Abilene High, continued to deal with adjustments in his life, including a new school (Wylie), new sports (football and track) and new peers.

But with the loss came an amazing gain for Reynolds and his younger brother: salvation.

"With (Scott’s) death, it brought us closer as a family," Reynolds said. "It also brought me and my little brother to Christ."

Wylie football coach Hugh Sandifer said Reynolds’ strong character was apparent even as he tried to familiarize himself with becoming a Bulldog.

"He came in summer of freshman year, and no one really knew him," Sandifer said. "He played two years on the junior varsity to be able to play as a senior. He’s a great success story."

And as Wylie (7-4) prepares for Saturday’s regional playoff game in Brownwood against the two-time defending 3A champs of Everman High School (9-2), Reynolds said his some of his past experiences can help him relate with the tragedy Everman coach Dale Keeling, son of longtime Hardin-Simmons University football coach Jimmie Keeling, has dealt with over the past two seasons.

In last year’s Class 3A state championship game win over Burnet High School, senior defensive back Corey Fulbright fractured his lower neck, which left him a quadriplegic. Earlier this season, Texas Christian University-bound senior standout Craig Boatwright collapsed and died while running laps around Everman’s track one day before homecoming.

"I kind of know what they are going through," Reynolds said. "I still don’t know how they could win a championship despite having a guy paralyzed and to have a guy die and still make the playoffs. (We have) a lot of respect for their team."

Sandifer said his Bulldogs are fortunate to have a leader he can put on the opponent’s best receiver but can distinguish when to put life before football.

"He’s one of those guys that understands the big picture," Sandifer said. "He does most of his leading through example and how he handles the day-to-day life. We’ve put a lot of pressure on him, but he always responds. He’s a valuable part of our football team."

Reynolds, who wants to eventually become a physical therapist, hopes to get a track scholarship but doesn’t plan on following in his father’s footsteps to McMurry University.

"I don’t know where I want to go to college, but I’d like to go to University of Texas, Texas Tech or TCU," Reynolds said. "I’m just going wait and see where God wants me to be."

bulldog65
11-20-2003, 07:12 AM
Great article! This young man certainly has a firm handle on things. “Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” — Helen Keller

This year Everman may not win the state title, or even advance past this weekend. But, after the trials they have suffered together, they may very well be the "best" football team yet.

pero chato
11-20-2003, 12:41 PM
Thanks for posting that story, Wildstangs. Jason is truly a fine young man and team leader. And to Bulldog65, regardless of who wins Saturday, I hope the rest of the year is free from injuries. I also hope the game is closer than last year's blowout! I know many at Wylie, including the coaches, hold Everman to be the standard of quality in 3A programs. We've always said Everman is still the state champs and the team to beat this year. Should be 75 degrees and sunny at game time. Unbelievable!

Wbulldogs
11-20-2003, 03:14 PM
Thanx guys for the post it really means alot to me. Good luck to everyone the coming friday and saturday!

whtfbplaya
11-20-2003, 04:13 PM
Great story.

bulldogvet85
11-20-2003, 04:21 PM
great story!! sounds like a really great kid. he has something to be proud of

Wbulldogs
11-20-2003, 09:40 PM
bulldogvet85:
great story!! sounds like a really great kid. he has something to be proud ofyah i am very proud of everything this year, especially our team we have really come together and proved alot of people wrong who thought we werent even goin to win district and now we are in the second round of the playoffs bout to play a tough everman team where we are once again everyone is against us, look for a strong wylie TEAM on saturday