PDA

View Full Version : Steve Warren(AHS) - A Class Act

injuredinmelee
10-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Taken from the reporternews.com:

Football

A special event

Abilene High has made plenty of memories in recent years with district championships and deep playoff runs.

Last week, the Eagles helped make some memories for an opposing player with special needs. In the final minute of the Eagles' game against Haltom, junior Shane Simeon came on to play linebacker for the Buffalos and made two tackles under an arrangement between coaches Steve Warren of AHS and Scot Hafley of Haltom.

"It worked out great," Warren said. "We were glad to be a part of that. Coach Hafley and I had talked at halftime about they did have a special-needs kid on their team and what courage that kid showed by being a part of their team. I think that's special.

"When (Hafley) asked if he could get (Simeon) into the game if the outcome was in hand and they had an opportunity, I was certainly all for it. We had told our kids what we wanted them to do and we helped get Shane in a position to make some tackles."

A tip that something was up came when Warren celebrated Simeon's first tackle, which came in front of the AHS bench.

"I got an e-mail from Coach Hafley on Monday and he basically said 'Thanks for making Shane Simeon the hero of Haltom High School,'" Warren said.

"That was a special time for a kid that maybe is not quite as blessed as the rest of us, but the smile on his face told every bit of the story, all you needed after the ballgame. He was high-fiving players, he high-fived the officials, anybody he could get his hands on. It was fun for us to be a part of that."

The scenario could be repeated tonight against North Richland Hills Richland. The Rebels' roster includes wide receiver Chad Earley, who has already appeared in two games this season.

ccmom
10-31-2008, 11:33 AM
Great story, and Warren is definitely as class act!

trojan37
10-31-2008, 01:05 PM
Stories like this really hit home for me. I have a special needs kid who is in the 3rd grade and has a love for football. It's hard telling him he won't be able to play football, but after reading this story and the one about Doogie Weiks there is no way I will ever tell him again that he can't do anything. I hope my son gets an opportunity like this one day. Way to go Coach Warren.:clap:

injuredinmelee
10-31-2008, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
Stories like this really hit home for me. I have a special needs kid who is in the 3rd grade and has a love for football. It's hard telling him he won't be able to play football, but after reading this story and the one about Doogie Weiks there is no way I will ever tell him again that he can't do anything. I hope my son gets an opportunity like this one day. Way to go Coach Warren.:clap:

every time i read or see a story like this it makes m think of my son who is the same age as your apparently. He worships the sport of football, especially Longhorn Football.

trojan37
10-31-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
every time i read or see a story like this it makes m think of my son who is the same age as your apparently. He worships the sport of football, especially Longhorn Football.

Man, that's crazy. My son is a Longhorn fanatic. He loves Colt McCoy, and Peyton Manning and Tony Romo. I guess it's in the cards for him to be a QB.:D

WHS02
10-31-2008, 04:21 PM
yea this really is a good story. i have son who is 4 years old currently enrolled at wylie elem. he has cerebral palsy. he is still in a wheelchair and can not talk. i would not change him in any way. i love him so much. way to go coaches!!