PDA

View Full Version : Bands

Gobbla2001
10-31-2008, 10:17 AM
Alright... I like the bands... they add to the game... but I saw one of the most disgusting things last week at a game... with 4 minutes left, the home team was down by about 4... it was very exciting, the crowd was going nuts... before the offensive team breaks out of the huddle I turn to the play clock to see the seconds, and out of the corner of my eye I see about 8-10 band members, half home-team, half away-team hand-in-hand skipping around in a circle with a couple of 'em running around the outside of the circle as if chasing one-another... why is this game of musical-chairs/may-pole/duck-duck-goose going on during this time? I almost threw up...

pirate4state
10-31-2008, 10:19 AM
:spitlol: :1popcorn:

Rabbit'93
10-31-2008, 10:33 AM
i saw something similar at the Forney game last week. was weird.

44INAROW
10-31-2008, 10:34 AM
:spitlol: :1popcorn:

:D

Looking4number8
10-31-2008, 10:35 AM
............. this one time at band camp..........

ma2_85
10-31-2008, 10:43 AM
each band during the 4th quarter invites the other band's officers and drum major over to introduce themselves to the band and play a song with them. kinda like what the cheerleaders do during the 3rd quarter.

HEMOTOXIC
10-31-2008, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by ma2_85
each band during the 4th quarter invites the other band's officers and drum major over to introduce themselves to the band and play a song with them. kinda like what the cheerleaders do during the 3rd quarter.

Right. Since most bands take the 3rd quarter off, to my dislike, they meet and greet in the 4th quarter.

bandera7
10-31-2008, 10:58 AM
when I see this kind of stuff, it really hurts the "the bands really support the football team" argument....

Ranger Mom
10-31-2008, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by ma2_85

Our cheerleaders do that an Junior High....I don't think the HS school cheerleaders do...I know the Varisty squad doesn't!!

pirate4state
10-31-2008, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by bandera7
when I see this kind of stuff, it really hurts the "the bands really support the football team" argument.... good point :thinking:

Gobbla2001
10-31-2008, 12:31 PM
Well I've always seen the cheerleaders meet... but they walk around the track to, well, cheer... This group was in their own little world... with under 5 minutes left in a 4-point game, playoff spots/district championships on the line... I think I heard one of 'em yell "Wanna play thumbs-up?" while another broke out a chess board....

Maybe it's just me, but I can't remember going up to band competition on Saturdays, suitin' out all-pads and messin' around while they were on the field beatin' and tootin'...

Three times this year I've gotten ticked at bands...

1.) A couple of weeks back I watched Cy Falls play Cy Ridge on ESPNU Live... the band played the whole game... I mean that must be hard to do and all, but can we get a break? My question is do they do that all of the time, or were they excited ESPN was there and director-thing decided "Hey, we're playing all game guys, give it your best for the whole nation because this isn't a football game, this is YOUR stage"... I mean as soon as "Smoke on the Water" is ended, and the quarterback is scramblin', the band director immediately strikes up some Trick Daddy or some other nonsense...

2.) Last week's Ring-around-the-Rosey bit I started this thread with

3.) A player with a bright future ahead of him (football and olympics) may have had his whole sports future changed because dumbass Marshall band, who had been warned before, left a cart right at the back of the endzone... I'm sure this has been discussed here, so I need not explain any further...

maybe #3 is why I'm all anti-band this week... I dunno...

I know I've been to a game, where a possible rain-storm made the band a no-go that night... it sucked... I missed the fight song, the random number here and there... but please... know your role and know how to act...

Tromboneking
10-31-2008, 01:29 PM
I agree that the band needs to know it's place..the whole reason the band is at the game is to support the team. To be honest, it allows us a chance to run our show several times before contest too. You brought up the cy-falls band,and the amount they played. Forgive me, but isn't that the purpose of the band being at the game?

Your post is good though...

OldBison75
10-31-2008, 02:25 PM
The Rattler band plays and performs at all High School Varsity games. At home they are seated in the north endzone and play alot. They also have special groups of band members that play for baketball games. The band is a part of school in the same way the football program is. One of the functions of any school organization is to support the other school organizations. You can trash the bands all you want, but let your band not show up for a few games and you will gripe that they don't show school spirit.

And, the reality of some schools is that the band is more impressive that the team on the field. I know a band director that says that his football team might not always win the game, but his band will always win the halftime.

Necks_Fan
10-31-2008, 02:29 PM
This thread should be removed just becuase it has the word band in it.

:doh: :) :D

catgut
10-31-2008, 03:11 PM
I guess I'll be in the minority on this but my thoughts are that the halftime shows have gotten entirely too long. It's now common for our halftimes to last almost 45 minutes. I guess that's why none of the games are over with until 10:30 or later. Not bad if you're playing at home but on the road it can make for a long night.

Pick6
10-31-2008, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by catgut
I guess I'll be in the minority on this but my thoughts are that the halftime shows have gotten entirely too long. It's now common for our halftimes to last almost 45 minutes. I guess that's why none of the games are over with until 10:30 or later. Not bad if you're playing at home but on the road it can make for a long night.

If your halftime is that long I think that calls for a delay of game penalty for the home team. The games are lasting longer because most teams throw the ball more. Incomplete passes stops the clock.

Gobbla2001
10-31-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
You can trash the bands all you want, but let your band not show up for a few games and you will gripe that they don't show school spirit.

if school spirit is acting out a scene of mary poppins with the opposing school's band while your team is trying to win a game in the last minutes, then I guess I'm okay with it...

showtime91
10-31-2008, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by catgut

That's something you need to take up with an official or something. Halftimes are for the team to go over the information from the first half and rest for a while. It's not a time for them to sleep and take a nap for 45 minutes. They only need about 20 minutes. Like most schools.

pirate4state
10-31-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
if school spirit is acting out a scene of mary poppins with the opposing school's band while your team is trying to win a game in the last minutes, then I guess I'm okay with it...

:fnypost: :spitlol: :fnypost: :1omg!: :D

KingRob
10-31-2008, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

Gobbla2001 you are being freaking hilarious. Dude, you made me spit diet pepsi on my stack of bills!:spitlol:

LoveTheHornets
10-31-2008, 11:46 PM
I thought halftimes had to be over in 24 minutes. Isn't that a UIL rule? The home team can get penalized if halftime runs over 24 minutes, right?