PDA

View Full Version : Lettering in HS

Bullaholic
10-31-2008, 10:00 AM
Is the practice of earning letters in athletics and having letter jackets still practiced widely?

kaorder1999
10-31-2008, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Is the practice of earning letters in athletics and having letter jackets still practiced widely?
yes....

GreenMonster
10-31-2008, 10:07 AM
yes.

TRENCHES06
10-31-2008, 10:08 AM
I like letters in my soup.

Bullaholic
10-31-2008, 10:10 AM
Do you think "lettering" still holds the same level of importance to athletes that it did back in the day?

OldBison75
10-31-2008, 10:11 AM
Yeah, it is a common practice at almost every Sschool, but each school has it's own rules for Lettering. In our school, each sport has different rules for lettering. I think the only common denominator for our school sports teams is that any senior that participates in the sport will receive a letter jacket. However, underclassmen can receive a letter jacket by meeting goals for playing time, etc. The school will award the letter jacket to an underclassman once, but any jackets that would be earned after the first are paid for by the player. I think the school will award new patches and such to be put on old jackets each year though. VenomusTat, on this board can tell you for sure how it works.

Ranger Mom
10-31-2008, 10:13 AM
In Greenwood, you HAVE to be on varsity to get a letter jacket.

The letter jacket is free, but the student (parents) have to pay for all the patches!

themsu97
10-31-2008, 10:15 AM
Do you think "lettering" still holds the same level of importance to athletes that it did back in the day?

NO

kaorder1999
10-31-2008, 10:27 AM
In Dallas ISd we get a bunch of kids who play Varsity as a freshman or sophomore and get their jacket and then quit! lol

Dallas ISD and its athletic budget cuts are about to begin only giving the jackets to them as seniors!

Bull19
10-31-2008, 10:39 AM
Do you think "lettering" still holds the same level of importance to athletes that it did back in the day? no.

in bellville had to pay for patches, and jacket. needless to say no other patches were added/or bought after the first purchase of the jacket and patches. biggest waste of money i prolly ever spent. prolly wore the thing twice. now it hangs proudly in my closet behind everything else for all the world to see

bandera7
10-31-2008, 11:04 AM
my friend almost had to get two jackets for all her track medals...not to mention the district mvp stuff for basketball and all the volleyball awards. She had to buy ever patch

Buffgal
10-31-2008, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

The letter jacket is free, but the student (parents) have to pay for all the patches!

Ditto in Giddings. I think kids are proud of them but I don't think they hold as a great of a status symbol or importance than say 25 yrs ago.

Made a deal with my kids, they had to choose a senior ring or the patches. Both chose the patches for their letter jackets.

IMO both senior rings and letter jackets are put in the closet as soon as they graduate high school. Saw no sense in having both

Now I have one working on a college degree and I will help purchase that ring.

All out CAT
10-31-2008, 11:21 AM
To get the jacket you had to start a percentage of games in order to get the jacket. To get the letter you just had to play a down on varsity.

We had 12 players. Not too hard to get a jacket and letter.

Bull19
10-31-2008, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by bandera7
my friend almost had to get two jackets for all her track medals...not to mention the district mvp stuff for basketball and all the volleyball awards. She had to buy ever patch personally when i see jackets that are full and have no space i just laugh. not that it isnt impressive at what he/she accomplished, but ive seen some patches that are jackets that shouldnt be there. ex: district track meet participant, Baseball-center field, .....i could go on and on.

gets to be pretty corny and stupid

grmfan93
10-31-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
In Greenwood, you HAVE to be on varsity to get a letter jacket.

Thats what we do in Graham

crzyjournalist03
10-31-2008, 11:56 AM
I believe in Forney that they give you the patches, but you have to buy the jacket. I have some patches somewhere, but I never got a jacket.

Hannibal
10-31-2008, 02:18 PM
We were given the jacket and 1 letter. If you lettered in another sport, then you bought the little patch that was sewn on the letter. Had to buy all patches.

BILLYFRED0000
10-31-2008, 03:53 PM
I think in some places it still matters. I believe it does in Celina.
Lots of patches to put on those jackets. But I think it meant more in general back when. I know it meant something to me.

Dieselsmoke
10-31-2008, 04:25 PM
They are still worn proudly at North Lamar, when I was in high school the guys got jackets and the girls got sweaters, now they all wear jackets.