PDA

View Full Version : Legal Advice

eagles_victory
10-30-2008, 03:21 PM
I attend college and I got a letter saying I must meet with them because I allegedly violated the student code of conduct with regards to copyright/trademark/licensing infringement. The letter says I have to go to meet with them tomorrow with the potential of a trial. I really have no idea with what I did so any advice on what my best course of action would be?

Im probably blowing this out of proportion being a little of a drama queen (sorry to steal your thunder necksfan) but im kind of nervous because i have never been charged with anything like this and dont know what it could be.

Ranger Mom
10-30-2008, 03:22 PM
That same thing happened to someone on this board a few years ago!!!

I will see if I can find the thread!!

lakers
10-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory

Im probably blowing this out of proportion being a little of a drama queen (sorry to steal your thunder necksfan).
:fnypost: haha, love it...

and that sucks, was it about an essay or something that you wrote?

BreckTxLonghorn
10-30-2008, 06:34 PM
I attend college and I got a letter saying I must meet with them because I allegedly violated the student code of conduct with regards to copyright/trademark/licensing infringement. The letter says I have to go to meet with them tomorrow with the potential of a trial. I really have no idea with what I did so any advice on what my best course of action would be?

Im probably blowing this out of proportion being a little of a drama queen (sorry to steal your thunder necksfan) but im kind of nervous because i have never been charged with anything like this and dont know what it could be.

Sounds like they probably mean a trial in front of the school judiciary committee. Nothing legal about it, but if you did write a plagiarized paper or or something of the sort, they have a right to fail you and expel you. Part of the code of conduct at most schools. I mean, I guess there could be some technical legal issue, but its not worth it unless your work was actually published and revenue was accrued from it.

Now if you did something with a logo, motto, etc, they have a legal case. Anything could go on that; be ready.

LH Panther Mom
10-30-2008, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
That same thing happened to someone on this board a few years ago!!!

I will see if I can find the thread!!
Wasn't it Matthew when he was still in school & a paper he wrote?

eagles_victory
10-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Sounds like they probably mean a trial in front of the school judiciary committee. Nothing legal about it, but if you did write a plagiarized paper or or something of the sort, they have a right to fail you and expel you. Part of the code of conduct at most schools. I mean, I guess there could be some technical legal issue, but its not worth it unless your work was actually published and revenue was accrued from it.

Now if you did something with a logo, motto, etc, they have a legal case. Anything could go on that; be ready. It is something i downloaded I think but I just cant think of anything I downloaded.

LH Panther Mom
10-30-2008, 09:07 PM
It is something i downloaded I think but I just cant think of anything I downloaded.
Oh wow! Maybe pleading ignorance will help your case. Not that you are ignorant, but that you are clueless as to what happened and/or why.

Good luck!

44INAROW
10-30-2008, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Oh wow! Maybe pleading ignorance will help

There are so many directions I could go.....;) ;)

J/k EV - hope everything goes OK for you

Necks_Fan
10-30-2008, 09:47 PM
I think you should not post about anything that is personal or matters at all to you.

This, to avoid making someone think you are being melodramatic in your posts about your current situation.

:D ;)

rockdale80
10-30-2008, 09:53 PM

if you did do it, I would worry. The consequences are grand.

If you are innocent, then I wouldnt worry about it.

sinton66
10-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Wasn't it Matthew when he was still in school & a paper he wrote?

I think you are correct. Sounds familiar.

BreckTxLonghorn
10-30-2008, 10:13 PM
It is something i downloaded I think but I just cant think of anything I downloaded.

Download any songs that aren't iTunes?

rockdale80
10-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Download any songs that aren't iTunes?

Didnt think about that...

Excellent thought. Some universities monitor that stuff.

mistanice
10-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Didnt think about that...

Excellent thought. Some universities monitor that stuff.

Could be that you downloaded music if you live in the dorms. Happened to a friend of mine who is at UT, she had to fork over 4,000 dollars. And yes she did pay.

lakers
10-30-2008, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
I think you should not post about anything that is personal or matters at all to you.

This, to avoid making someone think you are being melodramatic in your posts about your current situation.

:D ;)

The pot calling the kettle black???

:rolleyes:

Phil C
10-31-2008, 08:27 AM
If it isn't too late I would get a lawyer to come with you. You must be sure your rights aren't violated even by accident. Also the fact they are seeing you on Halloween increases the risk. Good luck!

eagles_victory
10-31-2008, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
If it isn't too late I would get a lawyer to come with you. You must be sure your rights aren't violated even by accident. Also the fact they are seeing you on Halloween increases the risk. Good luck! I had to go in on one day notice because of timing issues so there would of been no way I could of gotten a lawyer. I don't think it is going to be a big enough deal to need a lawyer well at least I hope not.

pirate4state
10-31-2008, 09:17 AM
Good Luck EV!

eagles_victory
10-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Basically what happened is I had a peer to peer sharing of music site I used a long time ago that turned on when my computer came on. I havent downloaded songs illegally in a long time but people were getting them from me and I didnt even know it but it was picked up on. There were only two files on the paper from the judical board so it wasnt anything major.

As of now all I have to do is make sure I have all file sharing to my computer turned off. Anybody know how I can do that? Also just delete all the peer to peer music things on my computer that I thought I already deleted.

Rabbit'93
10-31-2008, 10:42 AM
To turn off your file sharing->

If you have a "My Network Places" icon on your desktop right click it -> Properties -> Right click on the connection you use to get on the web -> Properties -> In the window on the general tab make sure "file and Printer sharing" is unchecked.