PDA

View Full Version : Brownwood vs Celina: Biggest disappointment?

Beast Fan
10-30-2008, 04:48 AM
Two powerhouses that went down the tubes:
Who fell the farthest? Lots of smack from noncontenders let's turn the game around.

OldNavy
10-30-2008, 07:40 AM
I honestly did not have any expectations for Brownwood one way or the other. They played a tough schedule in 4A and this year they have played a tough schedule in 3A. If they get in the playoffs, they can still be a handfull. Their O is stought and if their D picks up in the playoffs, they can be tough.

As for Celina, I still have expectations for them, and won't be disappointed unless someone puts them out early. Celina doesn't seem to have the depth it did last year, however, if it gets a couple of players healthy, and stays healthy, anyone looking past Celina may be very surprised. A healthy Celina can score points and play defense. I won't be checking the polls, I will just go to the games and see what happens on the field.

I expect this to be a very interesting playoff year. Good luck to everyone.

3afan
10-30-2008, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Beast Fan
Who fell the farthest? Lots of smack from noncontenders let's turn the game around.

Celina? down the tubes? :confused:

they lost to 2 good 4A (Prosper will be 4A next go-round) teams and they are still a good bet to make a long playoff run ......

Rocket
10-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Oh did the UIL end the season early? I thought there was 2 games left and the playoffs left?

I_DONT_CARE
10-30-2008, 09:48 AM

Who fell the farthest?
A POUND OF FEATHERS WILL FALL AT THE SAME RATE AS A POUND OF BRICKS. BOTH AND NEITHER IS MY ANSWER. :evilgrin:

pirate4state
10-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Rocket
Oh did the UIL end the season early? I thought there was 2 games left and the playoffs left? PERFECTION! :D

What's up with your boy BEAST?

He must be bored today. No way he thinks Brownwood is done!

BobcatBenny
10-30-2008, 09:53 AM
I guarantee you that overall, there is not any disappointment in Celina. We are proud of our Bobcats.

And ... the Bobcats can still make some noise.

Pick6
10-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
Celina? down the tubes? :confused:

they lost to 2 good 4A (Prosper will be 4A next go-round) teams and they are still a good bet to make a long playoff run ......

Next go-round doesn't matter. Prosper is still 3A for atleast another 1.5 years. With that being said I do agree that Celina will make a long playoff run.

pirate4state
10-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
PERFECTION! :D

What's up with your boy BEAST?

He must be bored today. No way he thinks Brownwood is done!

:doh: :vrycnfsd: Nevermind...just realized it was BEAST fan that made this thread not your boy BEAST! :o

NastySlot
10-30-2008, 10:16 AM
:doh: :vrycnfsd: Nevermind...just realized it was BEAST fan that made this thread not your boy BEAST! :o

why does either have to be a disappointment?.....their records might have people scratching their heads....their records might come as shockers to some....but disappointments....don't both have shots at making the playoffs?

pirate4state
10-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
why does either have to be a disappointment?.....their records might have people scratching their heads....their records might come as shockers to some....but disappointments....don't both have shots at making the playoffs? you are asking the wrong person. neither is a disappointment to me.

NastySlot
10-30-2008, 10:30 AM
you are asking the wrong person. neither is a disappointment to me.

yeah....i responded to the wrong post.........sorry.

3afan
10-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
Next go-round doesn't matter. Prosper is still 3A for atleast another 1.5 years. With that being said I do agree that Celina will make a long playoff run.

of course it doesn't matter - just wanted to point out that Celina's 2 losses are to GOOD teams with at least twice the enrollment

NastySlot
10-30-2008, 10:37 AM
of course it doesn't matter - just wanted to point out that Celina's 2 losses are to GOOD teams with at least twice the enrollment

enrollment has never mattered to celina before...they tend to have Great participation in football and other sports....with more then their share of great football players and athletes.

Pick6
10-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Celina's 2 losses

Are you forgetting about Dangerfield?

3afan
10-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Are you forgetting about Dangerfield?

yep, forgot about dfield

Rocket
10-30-2008, 12:57 PM

Yeah..haha

That's not fayer!

Txbroadcaster
10-30-2008, 01:00 PM

Sorry B-Wood is not a powerhouse

garciap77
10-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/surprised02.gif

BwdLions
10-30-2008, 01:18 PM

Take all the jabs you want to Txbroadcaster. It's okay. ;)

Txbroadcaster
10-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions
Take all the jabs you want to Txbroadcaster. It's okay. ;)

It is not a jab...please tell me what B-Wood has done the last 15 years to be a powerhouse?..The last 10? The last 5?

Just because I dont think B-Wood is a powerhouse does not mean I am taking a jab. I still think they are a very dangerous team if they can make the play-offs

Rocket
10-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Well, people define powerhouses different ways. I understand your point.

Txbroadcaster
10-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Well, people define powerhouses different ways. I understand your point.

ok then how can Brownwood be a powerhouse TODAY by any definition?

Sorry but what happen 20 or more years ago does not make you a Powerhouse RIGHT now

mustang68
10-30-2008, 03:07 PM
It is not a jab...please tell me what B-Wood has done the last 15 years to be a powerhouse?..The last 10? The last 5?

Just because I dont think B-Wood is a powerhouse does not mean I am taking a jab. I still think they are a very dangerous team if they can make the play-offs

Was it "93 & "94 at quarterfinal level?

Txbroadcaster
10-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by mustang68
Was it "93 & "94 at quarterfinal level?

That does not IMO make them a powerhouse..even for that time period

My HS from 88-90 went Quarters, then Semi the next year and then won state in 90..We were ranked top 10 each of thise years..and I would not have called them a powerhouse in that stretch

The term powerhouse IMO gets thrown around way to much

mustang68
10-30-2008, 03:21 PM

My HS from 88-90 went Quarters, then Semi the next year and then won state in 90..We were ranked top 10 each of thise years..and I would not have called them a powerhouse in that stretch

Just answering the question ,as posed.
I Moved away in "95 so I can not answer for the last 13 years.
But I agree, going at best 4-6 this year????

BILLYFRED0000
10-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Agreed. Not at this time anyway. Were and could be.

Rocket
10-30-2008, 03:30 PM

Define powerhouse... by your definition, they don't exist. Brownwood doesn't bring up the 7 State Championships near as much as the people telling them they suck do and making sure we realize Brownwood hasn't done ANYTHING since 1981. Trust me, we know more than anybody about the last time we won a state title. BUt to say we haven't done anything since 1981 is just nonsense.

Does a powerhouse have to win 10 state championships in a row to be one? Please explain instead of making vague statements about who you think is and isn't.

Txbroadcaster
10-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Define powerhouse... by your definition, they don't exist. Brownwood doesn't bring up the 7 State Championships near as much as the people telling them they suck do and making sure we realize Brownwood hasn't done ANYTHING since 1981. Trust me, we know more than anybody.

Does a powerhouse have to win 10 state championships in a row to be one? Please explain instead of making vague statements about who you think is and isn't.

A powerhouse in MY definition has to

in a 5 year stretch win at least 2 titles, and finish no sooner than Regional finals the other years or

win 3 or more title in that 5 year span

For ten year window
Win at least 4 titles..and finish at least 4 more of those years in no less than Regional Finals

Or win 5 or more titles

and so on and so on

BUT if talking a 10-20 year stretch..they cannot win the majority of their titles in the first half then have losing or one in done seasons in second half and still be a powerhouse for the whole time span

I can make exceptions for a team that in a 5-10 year stretch is in at least the semi-finals at least 70% of those years but dont win a title..but that is only if in that stretch they almost never lose in regular season..but even then ONE title IMO is at least needed.

BwdLion73
10-30-2008, 03:37 PM
TxB...I agree in your thinking if you go by the won/ lost record for the past decade or so.
I think when people use the word 'Powerhouse' to describe a program there are sometimes different things that come to mind other than just did they go to the playoffs every year.
I am guilty of living in the past (as many a young poster on here will tell me) so sometimes when I think of a powerhouse program I remember things that people that were not born yet do not understand. I don't expect someone to understand that did not grow up with a program that went to 8 state championships and won 7.
I guess I need to use past powerhouse. Better to have been an old "has been" like me than a "never was".

I understand your thinking and agree that we are not showing ourselves as a powerhouse at this moment...but I know the program is capable of building back now that we are home in 3A

Rocket
10-30-2008, 03:39 PM
A powerhouse in MY definition has to

in a 5 year stretch win at least 2 titles, and finish no sooner than Regional finals the other years or

win 3 or more title in that 5 year span

For ten year window
Win at least 4 titles..and finish at least 4 more of those years in no less than Regional Finals

Or win 5 or more titles

and so on and so on

BUT if talking a 10-20 year stretch..they cannot win the majority of their titles in the first half then have losing or one in done seasons in second half and still be a powerhouse for the whole time span

I can make exceptions for a team that in a 5-10 year stretch is in at least the semi-finals at least 70% of those years but dont win a title..but that is only if in that stretch they almost never lose in regular season..but even then ONE title IMO is at least needed.

Cool. Inform Webster's of your powerhouse definition so that everybody can adapt. :D

Txbroadcaster
10-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Cool. Inform Webster's of your powerhouse definition so that everybody can adapt. :D

how about giving me yours

Pick6
10-30-2008, 03:49 PM
how about giving me yours

Sounds as if his has something to do with winning games 20+ years ago.

SWMustang
10-30-2008, 04:21 PM
So what 3ateams are powerhouses?

1) When other schools are reluctant to put them on the schedule a year in advance for homecoming - you might be a powerhouse

2) When you go to the playoffs every year - you might be a powerhouse

feel free to add on...

Rocket
10-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Sounds as if his has something to do with winning games 20+ years ago.

Yeah, you are real observant as usual. Read my posts on the matter, that is exactly what I wasn't saying. :rolleyes:

Come to think about it I never really put a lot of thought into the word "powerhouse". To me it means they have earned respect and have an overall traiditon of winning. That they are not to be taken lightly and that they are a contender every year, if by fact or tradition, it doesn't matter. The school name alone brings to mind winning and this is due to the achievements in the distant past, recent past, and current. I have not put Brownwood in this category and I have not said that we should be called one, these are just my thoughts on the term or what I think when I hear the word.

SWMustangs: good points...

nobogey72
10-30-2008, 05:28 PM
My wife thinks I'm a POWERHOUSE. But, please please please don't ask me to define it. It's embarrassing and it might hurt some of ya'll's feelings.:smoker: :smoker: :cool: :cool:

Snydertigersrul
10-30-2008, 05:30 PM
Brownwood

Lion_Addict
10-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
Brownwood

DELETED by me....

SORRY.....thought I was replying to someone that mattered :devil:

Butkus
10-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
Brownwood Come on ole son r u an sum of tha other tigger poster tryin ta divert frum ur 1-2 start r what. At least tha lion posters arent talkin bout cleanin out thar trophy cases like u do four ur state trophies.:rolleyes:

BobcatBenny
04-13-2009, 10:44 AM
TTT

Sweetwater Red
04-13-2009, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
TTT

Why?:confused:

BobcatBenny
04-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Why?:confused:
I did a search for something I had written a while back. Saw that thread and it made me smile. ;) That is all.

garciap77
04-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
I did a search for something I had written a while back. Saw that thread and it made me smile. ;) That is all.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/shark-fin.jpg

:D

;)

BobcatBenny
04-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/shark-fin.jpg

;)
:tisk: :tisk: . . . :D

garciap77
04-13-2009, 12:24 PM
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/377/hystericalmn4.gif (http://imageshack.us)http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/377/hystericalmn4.gif (http://imageshack.us)http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/377/hystericalmn4.gif (http://imageshack.us)http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/377/hystericalmn4.gif (http://imageshack.us)

sportzman44
04-14-2009, 12:07 AM
ok then how can Brownwood be a powerhouse TODAY by any definition?

Sorry but what happen 20 or more years ago does not make you a Powerhouse RIGHT now

Brownwood is a powerhouse for the simple fact that there is not one 3A, 4A or a 5A team that plays Brownwood Knowing that they can get away with a win,It is allways in the back of ther minds that if they let up for an instant it's over.
Just hearing that they will play the Brownwood Lions makes any team play better and harder than they have all year!
A team that instills this type of fear is a power house!

orange machine
04-14-2009, 02:42 AM
The first time that i ever heard about Brownwood football was 2 years ago and it was pretty much they were just another team that Stephenville whoops up on.

sportzman44
04-14-2009, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by orange machine
The first time that i ever heard about Brownwood football was 2 years ago and it was pretty much they were just another team that Stephenville whoops up on.

Just goes to show no matter where in Texas you are or go you hear about the Brownwood Lions.

cshscougar08
04-14-2009, 07:30 AM
I think this is a great thread considering the "disappointment" in Celina's season. Even still, they got to the state game.

garciap77
04-14-2009, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by sportzman44
Brownwood is a powerhouse for the simple fact that there is not one 3A, 4A or a 5A team that plays Brownwood Knowing that they can get away with a win,It is allways in the back of ther minds that if they let up for an instant it's over.
Just hearing that they will play the Brownwood Lions makes any team play better and harder than they have all year!

Rocket! Is that you?

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/rockyRocket.jpg

;)

orange machine
04-14-2009, 03:08 PM
I predict that Brownwood will be better than last season making the playoffs behind AW. I would love to see a Brownwood Celina match up in the simi round.

Ranger Mom
04-14-2009, 03:11 PM
Just goes to show no matter where in Texas you are or go you hear about the Brownwood Lions.

Not so fast!!!

If I heard someone mention Brownwood, the lake was the first thing that came to mind.

I went and saw Sweetwater and Glenrose play there a few years ago, and that was the first time I had ever been to that stadium.

I couldn't have told you what their mascot was until they moved down to 3A!!

orange machine
04-14-2009, 03:27 PM
First thing that came to my mind was something in the toilet. :wave:

garciap77
04-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Not so fast!!!

If I heard someone mention Brownwood, the lake was the first thing that came to mind.

I went and saw Sweetwater and Glenrose play there a few years ago, and that was the first time I had ever been to that stadium.

I couldn't have told you what their mascot was until they moved down to 3A!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

P.S. When someone mentions Brownwood, the first thing that comes to mind is:

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/rockyRocket.jpg

;)

Txbroadcaster
04-14-2009, 04:07 PM

I am sorry but everything you said is generic cliche. I truly doubt if SLC played Brownwood they would be worried they are playing B-Wood cause they are B-wood.

charlesrixey
04-14-2009, 04:53 PM

a powerhouse is a team that at the very least makes the playoffs always and usually contends for a region title-very few teams really maintain that standard, normally only 1 per region max, and normally only over a 5-8 year span. Brownwood didn't even make the playoffs and has had a double digit win season and/or a long playoff run relatively few times compared with the other 4A or 3A teams over a similar stretch. Southlake Carroll, Katy, Westlake in the 1990's, Commerce in the 90's, Gilmer (for the last five+ years), etc. are good examples of those kinds of teams.

Any time you play brownwood you are playing a team with a lot of tradition. Tradition doesn't mean powerhouse. If Celina goes 26-31 over the next four seasons they won't be a powerhouse anymore either.

BTW, 26-31 is Brownwood's record the last five years (which includes a semifinal appearance, and two straight years out of the playoffs)

Celina is 62-6 the last five years, including 12-4 last year in a down year (43-5 in 3A)

as long as that is a down year, Celina is a powerhouse. Brownwood hasn't had a 12-4 record (or played sixteen games) in these current players lives (drawing from memory here)

No one is saying Brownwood is not full of tradition, just as when Celina fails to win 10 games no one will say it about the bobcats. But only one of them is a powerhouse right now.

26-31, 62-6

or, after further inspection after the season:

Celina, 12-4
Brownwood, 3-7

both 'down years'

only 1 powerhouse

Daddy D 11
04-14-2009, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
a powerhouse is a team that at the very least makes the playoffs always and usually contends for a region title-very few teams really maintain that standard, normally only 1 per region max, and normally only over a 5-8 year span. Brownwood didn't even make the playoffs and has had a double digit win season and/or a long playoff run relatively few times compared with the other 4A or 3A teams over a similar stretch. Southlake Carroll, Katy, Westlake in the 1990's, Commerce in the 90's, Gilmer (for the last five+ years), etc. are good examples of those kinds of teams.

Any time you play brownwood you are playing a team with a lot of tradition. Tradition doesn't mean powerhouse. If Celina goes 26-31 over the next four seasons they won't be a powerhouse anymore either.

BTW, 26-31 is Brownwood's record the last five years (which includes a semifinal appearance, and two straight years out of the playoffs)

Celina is 62-6 the last five years, including 12-4 last year in a down year (43-5 in 3A)

as long as that is a down year, Celina is a powerhouse. Brownwood hasn't had a 12-4 record (or played sixteen games) in these current players lives (drawing from memory here)

No one is saying Brownwood is not full of tradition, just as when Celina fails to win 10 games no one will say it about the bobcats. But only one of them is a powerhouse right now.

26-31, 62-6

Celina, 12-4
Brownwood, 3-7

both 'down years'

only 1 powerhouse

Well said, nicely done.

orange machine
04-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey

26-31, 62-6

Celina, 12-4
Brownwood, 3-7

both 'down years'

only 1 powerhouse

:clap: good job

marler1972
04-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
:clap: good job :clap:
Clap

clap

clap

clap

clap

clap
clap
clap,clap,clap,clap,clap

Lion_Addict
04-15-2009, 06:10 AM

HEY..........I remember you!!!!! :p :D

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr181/txfella/3-1.jpg

garciap77
04-15-2009, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Lion_Addict
HEY..........I remember you!!!!! :p :D

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr181/txfella/3-1.jpg

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/377/hystericalmn4.gif (http://imageshack.us)http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/377/hystericalmn4.gif (http://imageshack.us)http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/377/hystericalmn4.gif (http://imageshack.us)http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/377/hystericalmn4.gif (http://imageshack.us)

I remember you too!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/ist2_556125-nude-man-holding-a-sign.jpg

;)

Sweetwater Red
04-15-2009, 08:15 AM

It sucked to be Glen Rose in that game. I believe the final score
was 58-20.:D

BwdLions
04-15-2009, 09:48 AM
It's true the powerhouse days of Brownwood Football was in the 60s, 70s and early 80s. We haven't been the same since. We've had some good teams and some good years since those days, but like has already been stated, Brownwood has a strong football tradition, but is not currently a powerhouse in football. Having said that, I look for that to change in the future. :)

Ranger Mom
04-15-2009, 10:00 AM
It sucked to be Glen Rose in that game. I believe the final score
was 58-20.:D

Yep....we actually left at half-time and hauled butt to Abilene to watch the last half of the Snyder/Iowa Park game...and then listened to the last quarter (maybe it was overtime, I can't remember) of the Decatur/Abilene Wylie game when we left Shotwell....it was a great night of football!!

I think Brownwood was and is still the ONLY High School stadium I have ever had to pay parking at!!!

Sweetwater Red
04-15-2009, 10:07 AM

I think Brownwood was and is still the ONLY High School stadium I have ever had to pay parking at!!!

I went there the week before to watch Breckenridge and Glen Rose
play knowing we'd face the winner. The guy approached my
vehicle as I entered the gate and told me there was a $7(?)
parking fee. At first I thought he was trying to scam me until I
saw others paying.

Ranger Mom
04-15-2009, 10:10 AM
I went there the week before to watch Breckenridge and Glen Rose
play knowing we'd face the winner. The guy approached my
vehicle as I entered the gate and told me there was a $7(?)
parking fee. At first I thought he was trying to scam me until I
saw others paying.

I don't remember having to pay when I went and watched Sweetwater and Liberty Hill...maybe they got paid off whatever they were charging for back then!!

I think it was $8!!

:D:

Looking4number8
04-15-2009, 10:40 AM

I think it is a 4A Playoff thing. We had to pay for parking at all playoff games. Also our regular season tickets were a dollar higher. Some things like that are just different in 4A.

Sweetwater Red
04-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
I think it is a 4A Playoff thing. We had to pay for parking at all playoff games. Also our regular season tickets were a dollar higher. Some things like that are just different in 4A.

We were 4A for quite some time and hosted many playoff games
at Mustang Bowl. We've never charged for parking.:thinking:

garciap77
04-15-2009, 11:16 AM
We were 4A for quite some time and hosted many playoff games
at Mustang Bowl. We've never charged for parking.:thinking:

:tisk:

Don't even thing about it!

bwdlionfan
04-15-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm pretty sure Waco ISD has charged us for parking at playoff games, as does Texas Stadium. I thought Shotwell even charged for parking? A playoff game I went to last season between Aledo and Lake Dallas charged for parking... I can't for the life of me remember the name of the stadium though. It was just north of Fort Worth.

Ranger Mom
04-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
I'm pretty sure Waco ISD has charged us for parking at playoff games, as does Texas Stadium. I thought Shotwell even charged for parking? A playoff game I went to last season between Aledo and Lake Dallas charged for parking... I can't for the life of me remember the name of the stadium though. It was just north of Fort Worth.

Come to think of it, we did have to pay at Waco ISD....but that was also a State Championship game!!

Ranger Mom
04-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Looking4number8

But.....Sweetwater and Glen Rose weren't 4A.

Are you saying because it was played at a 4A stadium??

Sweetwater Red
04-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
:tisk:

Don't even thing about it!

What?:confused:

Wylie I.S.D. is comprised of mostly rich country club folks. Even
if ya'll went 5A you wouldn't have the need to lower yourselves
to having to charge for parking.:thinking:

Besides you wouldn't make much off the visitor's side. What is
the capacity inside the fence...like twenty cars?:mad:

Is that what you thought I was going to say?:D

Looking4number8
04-15-2009, 12:04 PM
But.....Sweetwater and Glen Rose weren't 4A.

Are you saying because it was played at a 4A stadium??

I am saying it could be. I dont know anything for fact except in 4A we payed 6 bucks for home and away games. This year we only payed and charged 5. When I asked the lady at the BISD office why it was lowered, she said "you just cant get 5 buck in 3A"

garciap77
04-15-2009, 12:23 PM
What?:confused:

Wylie I.S.D. is comprised of mostly rich country club folks. Even
if ya'll went 5A you wouldn't have the need to lower yourselves
to having to charge for parking.:thinking:

Besides you wouldn't make much off the visitor's side. What is
the capacity inside the fence...like twenty cars?:mad:

Is that what you thought I was going to say?:D

No! I thought you were thinking about charging for parking at you're place! In that case, I would either park at your house or Stang's house and just walk to the Bowl. :thinking: I wonder if my Mercedes Benz would be safe there? Heck, I'll just ride with Bogey in his Limo!:D

;)