PDA

View Full Version : Bridgeport Sissies Volleyball

Bullaholic
10-29-2008, 08:43 AM
PLAYOFF BOUND - The Bridgeport volleyball team defeated Burkburnett in five games last night to advance to its first volleyball playoff spot in school history. Joining the Sissies in the playoff will be Decatur, Paradise and Northwest.

Re-print from Wise County Messenger, Oct. 29, 2008

Congrats Sissies!--Way to go.....

Budman007
10-29-2008, 08:54 AM
Way to go, ladies!

Good times in Bridgeport!

BreckTxLonghorn
10-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Congrats!

But, really, they're called the Sissies? How come I never knew this before?

Bullaholic
10-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Congrats!

But, really, they're called the Sissies? How come I never knew this before?

LOL. Well, they couldn't call the girls, "Lady Bulls" for obvious reasons, and "Heifers" was definitely a no-no, so somebody suggested "Sissies", and it stuck. There have been suggestions in the past to change the name to "Lady Maroons" or "Bull-ettes", but they are still happy with "Sissies". Many years ago the Bulls were called "Bullies".

pirate4state
10-29-2008, 09:46 AM
:clap: :clap: Awesome! Congrats to the Sissies! :D

BullsFan
10-29-2008, 10:01 AM
I believe they actually did change the name several years ago for our girls' teams to Lady Bulls, to which everyone else in the town went, "Huh?". But after that girls' coach left it went back to Sissies, which is the name that went with our original boys' team name, which was Bullies.

And major congrats go out to the volleyball team! Quite an accomplishment considering it hasn't been that many years that we've even had a volleyball team.

pirate4state
10-29-2008, 11:27 AM
What are the seedings in this district?

Maroon87
10-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
I believe they actually did change the name several years ago for our girls' teams to Lady Bulls, to which everyone else in the town went, "Huh?". But after that girls' coach left it went back to Sissies, which is the name that went with our original boys' team name, which was Bullies.

And major congrats go out to the volleyball team! Quite an accomplishment considering it hasn't been that many years that we've even had a volleyball team.

In this day and age, would the name "Lady Bulls" be that out of the ordinary?:thinking: :D j/k...

slpybear the bullfan
10-29-2008, 12:44 PM
Congrats to the Sissies!!! Good job on that playoff berth!

And yeah, we are proud of the name Sissies... Lots of great ladies went through their high school careers with that on their unis.

As Bullsfan pointed out, there was a change a few year's back to "Lady Bulls". That was so goofy, everyone hated it. I mean, why didn't they try "Lady Maroon" a la the Graham Steers and Lady Blue?

But all that is beside the point... great job Ladies!!!!

blaster
10-29-2008, 01:27 PM
A little agricultural history lesson. Do not know if it is true or not. I was told by my uncle, who was an old dairy farmer, that a Sissie was a twin calf to a Bull calf. He said they were tough and mean because they had to compete with the Bull calf for milk. So, Bullies and Sissies was what we got.

By the way, Congrats Sissies and good luck in the playoffs!

Budman007
10-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by blaster
A little agricultural history lesson. Do not know if it is true or not. I was told by my uncle, who was an old dairy farmer, that a Sissie was a twin calf to a Bull calf. He said they were tough and mean because they had to compete with the Bull calf for milk. So, Bullies and Sissies was what we got.

By the way, Congrats Sissies and good luck in the playoffs!

Hey, Blaster, you 'ol animal husbandryman you. A female twin to a bull calf is actually called a "freemartin." I guess the Bridgeport Freemartins would'nt sound too good, plus I like your story anyway. Regardless our volleyball team is GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD this year!

Bullaholic
10-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Budman007
Hey, Blaster, you 'ol animal husbandryman you. A female twin to a bull calf is actually called a "freemartin." I guess the Bridgeport Freemartins would'nt sound too good, plus I like your story anyway. Regardless our volleyball team is GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD this year!

Go easy on the Bulls fans, Budman---If you start correcting "poetic license" posts I'm going to have to stop posting. :D

Sure good to see all you fellow Bulls posters up here posting regularly---we're going to have a ball this year.

BreckTxLonghorn
10-29-2008, 02:11 PM
I like the Freemartins idea. Think I'm gonna call them that, and thus root for them as the Lady Bucks missed the playoffs.

Go freebies!

blaster
10-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Budman007

I told you I didn't know if it was true. He was always telling me things I eventually found out was a bunch of poooo. You know which uncle it is too.....that most recent dairyman to sell out in Wise Co. I will get him as soon as I get home from work!!!