PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Fact or Fiction?

Bullaholic
10-28-2008, 07:49 PM
1. Good teams knock each other off a lot before they can go deep into the playoffs.

2. Luck of the opponent draw is a bigger factor than being good in going deep into the playoffs.

3. Historically, DI is the easier playoff Division to win the title.

4. Good defense will beat good offense in the majority of games.

5. Rushing teams win more championships than passing teams.

STANG RED
10-28-2008, 08:13 PM
1. FACT - Good teams knock each other off a lot before they can go deep into the playoffs.

2. FICTION - Luck of the opponent draw is a bigger factor than being good in going deep into the playoffs. NOT A BIGGER FACTOR, BUT IT DOES HAPPEN SOME.

3. FACT - Historically, DI is the easier playoff Division to win the title. FOR ONE THING ITS ONE LESS GAME.

4. FACT - Good defense will beat good offense in the majority of games.

5. FACT - Rushing teams win more championships than passing teams. BUT ITS AN ADVANTAGE TO BE ABLE TO DO BOTH WELL.

eagles_victory
10-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
1. Good teams knock each other off a lot before they can go deep into the playoffs.

2. Luck of the opponent draw is a bigger factor than being good in going deep into the playoffs.

5. Rushing teams win more championships than passing teams. 1. Fact- Its just going to happen that way every year good teams are going to play each other early on.

2. Fiction- You can make it a couple rounds because of a good draw but you will be exposed at some point. If your good you can win no matter what the circumstances and being good never gets exposed

3.Fact- DI is easier like it was said earlier because there is one less game. Also, it just seems like there are years when the competiton is just a cut above in D2.

4. Fiction- You have to be balanced and have both a good offense and defense. But, you look at some of the better dynasties in football they all had strong offenses. Your not going to win state being good on one side of the ball though.

5. Fact- if you look at some of the past champs more have been rushing teams. However, to me its not rather your a running or a passing team its just how good you are at what you specialize in doing. It just happens to be that lately more specialized running teams have been better. I think at 4a and 5a more pass friendly offenses have been successful.

Txbroadcaster
10-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

5. Rushing teams win more championships than passing teams.

1 Fact, just how the districts are aligned, your going to lose a couple of good teams early almost every year

2. FACT: Like it or not usually ONE team in the semi-finals gets there because honestly the region they were in was no where as strong as others. Not a knock on a team or region, but you cannot have all 4 regions be tough every year. Plus honestly when it gets to the play-offs matchups are as big as talent.

3. Fact for now..when 4 play-off teams get down to 3A it will even it out

4. Both lol..depends on how good the D is compare to the O..plus it depends on how good the O is for a Strong D team and the D for a strong O team...which ever team's weakness plays better that night, that team wins.

5. Fact for now..because Texas HS tradionally has been a run state yes more rushing teams have won state, but the invention of the spread has allowed passing attacks to become prominent and more and more State winners are pass first teams

Matthew328
10-28-2008, 09:58 PM
There's also been years when Division 1 was so much better tha Division 2 its not even funny....

2001 and 2002 jump out as two years like that....2004 was another I think

WylieBulldog92
10-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
There's also been years when Division 1 was so much better tha Division 2 its not even funny....

2001 and 2002 jump out as two years like that....2004 was another I think
I thought 2005 was pretty good as well.

Tailback
10-28-2008, 10:50 PM
1. FACT - Good teams knock each other off a lot before they can go deep into the playoffs.

2. FICTION - Luck of the opponent draw is a bigger factor than being good in going deep into the playoffs. CAN SOMETIMES MAKE A DIFFERENCE

3. FACT - Historically, DI is the easier playoff Division to win the title.

4. FACT - Good defense will beat good offense in the majority of games. DOES NOT ALWAYS HAPPEN

5. FACT - Rushing teams win more championships than passing teams. VERY TRUE

Matthew328
10-28-2008, 11:23 PM
I'm not sure why everyone thinks historically Division 2 is better?? Let's see some stats to back that up and I might believe it but like Ernest says it varies greatly year to year...in 2001-2004 everyone on here talked about how weak Div II was..

big daddy russ
10-28-2008, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
I'm not sure why everyone thinks historically Division 2 is better?? Let's see some stats to back that up and I might believe it but like Ernest says it varies greatly year to year...in 2001-2004 everyone on here talked about how weak Div II was..
Back in '01 and '02 it was terribly lopsided. There were probably five or more D1 teams that weren't just a little better than the best D2 had to offer, they would've stomped a mudhole through D2.

Everman, Forney (think Dabryon Blanton and Caleb Hanie), Sinton (Adrian Alaniz and Marcus Charles), Burnet (McGee/Shipley), Jasper, Bellville, etc, etc, etc was the D1 group back then. Over in the small school division, Tommy Blake-led Aransas Pass had as good a shot to win the D2 title as anyone and Sinton beat them by 30-someodd points in district.