PDA

View Full Version : Report on Burnet

SintonFan
10-19-2002, 03:32 AM
These guys are real. They seemed to play a second half game, too (where have I seen that?).
Lets start with the flow of the game...
(Burnet fans, if I get this wrong, it is late while I write this.)
It started kinda slow for both teams. Burnet first recieved the kickoff on a weird double onsides kick attempt. Maybe it was a weak angled squib kick try. Both teams seemed to be a little tenative at first. Burnet punted and pinned Bandera inside their 10. Not good. Bandera didn't do anything punted shortly to give Burnet good field posiition. Burnet marched on good passes. They scored first on a medium range pass. Their QB looked good. Bandera didn't do anything on offense next. Burnet ran and passed for another score 14-0. Bandera got the ball back and ran up the middle with success. They scored on this drive to make it 14-7. Another (fake? what is this kicking game doing?) onsides attempt by Bandera gave Burnet good field position. Burnet marched got close (inside 10) and didn't score on the only time Bandera stopped them all night. Burnet probably stopped themselves. Bandera acheived momentum from this. More up-the-middle runs netted another touch to even it at 14-14.
ANOTHER angled squib kick, no this time its a bonafide onsides attempt gives the Burnet Bulldogs good position again. Bandera has some momentum and does a good job stopping Burnet (Burnet didn't help their cause either). Burnet punts and clogs the middle with 8 guys and Bandera punts with something like 1:50 left to half. They are pinned inside their 15. Hehe, I thought this would be the half-time score but Shipley and McGee didn't think so. They passed themselves easily and efficiently to score with 20 sec left. Very good pass routes go great with good pass protection. QB had more time in the pocket than at the start of the quarter, well done. Bandera gets ball back and tries a shovel pass for a short gain. Halftime: Burnet 20- Bandera 14. Not bad, I did drive over two hours for this.
*something of note*
Burnet ran what looked to me like a receiver screen that worked real nice for 10-20 yards everytime in both halfs. A quick outside pass to their receiver, they had their other receivers blocking downfield 10 yds and stuck to their asignments well.
They didn't limit themselves to this though.

Second half:
What can I say? Bandera came out pumped but business-like after the kickoff (which was unreturnable). They went 15 yrds and tried to punt but got a 1st down on a 'running into the kicker'. They didn't do anything with that and punted again for about 15 yards to around the Burnet 40 or so. This is where the game starts to end. Burnet scored quickly and often from here on out. They shut down Bandera outside and inside on D. They ran once, passed twiced. Passed once, and ran twice. It didn't matter, they weren't gonna be stopped and they didn't. Once, when Shipley scored on a fade in the corner of the endzone, he just simply outran his defenders on a perfectly thrown ball. QB-WR connection seemed flawless. RB Miller ran inside and outside ( a little better outside) to great effect. Bandera has good outside speed but Miller consistently ran for 8-9 yrds outside. After 3, Burnet 42 (I think), Bandera 14.
Fourth quarter and the game was essentially over. Hehe, except for the nice 98 yard touchdown between Shipley-McGee. Then scrubs came in and got some great experience.

Now for the players:

next post... :D

SintonFan
10-19-2002, 04:15 AM
On the players...
Bandera came into tonight looking alot like West Oso on the O-line but more physical up the middle. Burnet picked good spots on their blocks for the pass and run. They were both athletic and big, better in the stick than W-O. They held blocks in the coverage really, really well. Unfortunately, if McGee was rushed, he easily beat his rushers except on two plays. Once he was sacked, the other time he threw back to the other side of the field for a touchdown (from the side of one to the other like it was drawn up that way). Back to Bandera...
#35 Heep is a stud for Bandera. He constantly broke tackles inside for 5-13 yrds. Many times he went through 2-3 guys.
#2 Hicks didn't look like the guy I saw 2 years ago. He was also pressured some, but made some bad decisions. His receivers didn't get open like they should, except for the long pass down the middle. There were a few dropped passes.
Back to Burnet...
#7 McGee was on tonight. He could have completed every pass tonight, no kidding. He's got a bullet and a soft touch when needed. He's worked with Shipley on timing, I'm sure. Nice touch.
#23 Miller was less used tonight compared to the vertical game. He's kinda like Marcus Charles from last year. Great speed and good hands. He caught a low ball on the run on the slant pass and gained like 7 yards. Good outside speed and willing to hit people inside. Made some nice inside runs.
O-line has some size:
they average around 6' and 250# according to their program
D-line good size and speed similiar to their other line (better matched up for Bandera).
Good kicking game as they kicked it deep and didn't allow any return.
Bottom line:
Burnet was taller and faster with more athletes.
Bandera has some advantages in size, but they tended to be a little slower.
Sorry Bandera fans, but I had to call it the way I saw it.

Coaching:
Burnet made good decisions, what was Bandera thinking on those kicks. They lost the field position war in the first half. But that is not why they lost the game.

<small>[ October 19, 2002, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: SintonFan ]</small>

SintonFan
10-19-2002, 04:21 AM
In conclusion to my earlier post:
I hope I get to see a game between Sinton and Burnet. That O against that D.
After tonight that could mean either team!!!
How about that D against that O.
Looking forward to the next game.
Go pirates!!!!
Take State!!!!!!!!!!!!

spaniard
10-19-2002, 04:40 AM
that sounds like a great report, i sadly didnt make it to the game last night, i was in dallas taking care of some business for church stuff. i called and found out the score and was excited, but was naturally curious as to how it went and what all happened. glad you could make the drive to see the game.

bd0707
10-19-2002, 08:30 AM
Just wondering Sintonfan, was this an official vist to Bulldog Stadium, just kidding. Thank you for your interest in our program and the kind words. We hope you found Burnet to be a hospitable locale to get your Friday night fix. It is a true fan that makes a two hour drive on a rainy night to see what all the talk is about, I am pleased our Burnet Bulldogs performed well last night. Meet you in the middle somewhere in December. :D

29x281
10-19-2002, 09:49 AM
Barring a major disappointment from either Sinton or Burnet, that game would be on Nov. 29 or 30, somewhere in San Antonio or maybe San Marcos. #1 v #2.

sinton66
10-19-2002, 11:44 AM
How about Memorial Stadium in Victoria? That fieldturf is incredible!

SintonFan
10-19-2002, 03:49 PM
bd0707:
Just wondering Sintonfan, was this an official vist to Bulldog Stadium, just kidding. Thank you for your interest in our program and the kind words. We hope you found Burnet to be a hospitable locale to get your Friday night fix. It is a true fan that makes a two hour drive on a rainy night to see what all the talk is about, I am pleased our Burnet Bulldogs performed well last night. Meet you in the middle somewhere in December. :D Hehe, I'm SintonFan not SintonCoach... j/k :D
Burnet was very hospitable. Yall have a good size stadium for a 3-A school. I loved the fact that you could order a burger and fix it the way you wanted. Lettuce, tomato, pickles and onions on that little cart MADE ME buy a burger. Nice setup! Also yall had alot of parking around your school and I had no problem finding a spot 10 minutes before the game. I'm glad I got to see yall play. The people I talked to from your town were real nice and very friendly.

toby070
10-20-2002, 06:27 PM
sinton66:
How about Memorial Stadium in Victoria? That fieldturf is incredible!Spread the word Sintonfan, Bobcat Stadium in San MArcos has the same fieldturf, freshly installed this year, and awesome new locker room facilities...

SintonFan_inAustin
10-20-2002, 07:05 PM
If u had an extra day, u could have visited Inks lake, been there several times and its a great park. 2hr drive, good im not the only one driving 2hrs plus to a hs game. another impressive win for burnet.

Old Green
10-20-2002, 07:17 PM
Great Report SintonFan. A lot better than the newspaper.

therealbulldogs
10-20-2002, 08:13 PM
SintonFan
[QB]On the players...
#2 Hicks didn't look like the guy I saw 2 years ago. He was also pressured some, but made some bad decisions. His receivers didn't get open like they should, except for the long pass down the middle. There were a few dropped passes.
QB]If you are talking about when Bandera played against Sinton two years ago, then that was Todd Knutson you saw.