PDA

View Full Version : Vernon vs. Decatur

rangerjim
10-28-2008, 09:29 AM
This game will likely determine the final playoff spot for Division 5A. Decatur's offense has been good while they're defense (due to a ton in injuries) hasn't. Decatur (2-1; 4-4) has Bridgeport (8-0) left after this week and Vernon (1-2; 3-5) has Iowa Park (1-7). Expecting no upsets next week, this is for all the marbles.

Anyone got the scoop on Vernon this year? Both teams have underachieved somewhat this year. Biggest advantage is that this game is in Decatur. I know Bridgeport crushed them last week and expect the same whooping from Bridgeport for Decatur on 11/7 (man that is tough to say but I'll man up).

VWG
10-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Vernon has two really good players in Whiteside and Echols. What is hurting the Lions this year is that solid supporting cast of players. Vernon doesn't have the depth overall that they normally have and it's showing. The past few years they have had two really good QB's, William Miller and the other kid from last year.
I think the QB this year has some talent, but he just isn't on par with what Vernon has had the last few years. If Metts can get some time in the pocket, he should have his way with Vernon's defense. With Vernon being a predominantly running team it will be hard for them to play catch up if Decatur gets up on them by 2 or more TD's.

Budman007
10-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Metts may have his way with the Vernon pass defense, but Whiteside will definitely have his way with the Decatur D. In my opinion, Whiteside was the best RB Bridgeport's D has faced this year. He is a very talented, hard runner who rarely went down on initial contact. Should be a really good game, but I have to give a slight edge to the Eagles since they are at home.

slpybear the bullfan
10-28-2008, 11:54 AM
This is definitely a game worth watching. Good luck to both...

Lombardi
10-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Decatur scores a lot of points.. Good Offense

bigcat8
10-28-2008, 01:14 PM
They do seem to throw up the points every year

rangerjim
10-28-2008, 03:05 PM
What Budman said scares me for the Eagles. Their defense has had a lot of trouble getting the ball carrier down on first contact. Burkburnett only completed 2 passes last week and put up 61 on the Eagles 'D'.

The old run versus the passing attack. Hard to call except for homefield advantage. Both traditionally strong football programs struggling for mediocracy this year. We'll see who gets tricked and who gets treated on Friday..............

Bullaholic
10-28-2008, 03:11 PM
I think Budman covered it, well. Close game that may be decided by who gets the last possession. I think I would give the Eagles a slight edge because of the quick-strike passing edge. Best of luck to both.

Dominicfrank
10-28-2008, 03:53 PM
this will be a great game to watch. Vernon's defense is small and poor this year and the offense just cant support Whiteside which is sad becuase he is good. Echols is very fast and little which lets him sneak around and get past some tackles. Vernon might give up 30 but might score 31.

3AFootballfan
10-28-2008, 04:07 PM
I guess you mean Eric Wilson is little and fast. You're definately not talking about Echols being fast and little. Wilson and Whiteside will both have good games but probably all for not because the Lions cannot cover the spread offense.

Dominicfrank
10-28-2008, 04:42 PM
my bad, your right, Eric Wilson

Echols was a big player against Wylie, he has gone missing since then.