PDA

View Full Version : Region II GotW: Paris North Lamar Panthers (4-4) @ Van Alstyne Panthers (6-2)

charlesrixey
10-26-2008, 05:36 PM
with most of the districts already decided, VA is making a push for 10-3A, a push that begins against North Lamar

Lamar is the favorite, but VA has been growing in confidence each week.

JR2004
10-27-2008, 12:39 AM
I haven't seen VA play a game since 2005 when we played them in a playoff game on their home field (VA gave us our first playoff win since 1966. That was back when Madison was in the Prairie View Interscholastic League.) in what was a rematch of a 2004 1st round game we won up at The Woodshed.

I've never seen NL play. My guess is NL wins this game, but I have nothing to really base it on. Catgut could probably provide some actual analysis of NL and hopefully he will.

CelinaCatFan
10-27-2008, 07:09 PM
After scouting PNL last week, this makes for an interesting matchup. I'm going with VA in a high scoring game.

catgut
10-28-2008, 10:23 AM
I'll have to go with North Lamar. But I really don't know what to expect. For years they have just pounded the ball up the middle running their back 35-40 times a game. I understand that last week they went to a spread offense throwing the ball a lot. I really don't see that staying when they get into trouble. They have a huge offensive line and their coaches like to run the ball to control the clock. They have no speed to speak of. The quarterback is a really good athelete. Their best back is A.J. George but he's been hurt and not at 100 % although he is back to playing.
I really know nothing about Van Alystene other than that they have the best record in this district but not impressed with who they have played in predistrict. The district will be won by either Paris or Van Alystene next week.
One advantage Van Alystene may have against North Lamar is that North Lamar is terrible at stopping kick returns. They've had several really long returns against them this season.
Someone give a detailed report on Van Alsytene please.

CelinaCatFan
10-28-2008, 06:07 PM
PNL did go to the spread in the 2nd quarter last week and they scored 4 TDs through the air (3 to #85). This was a little suprising because PNL runs a base offense out of the I formation with single TE and split WR.

Since VA has a passing attack, I'm not sure how the PNL defense will matchup. PNL was playing Bonham (a running attack with little passing) last week and may not be very familiar with defending this type of attack. Most of the teams in 10-3A are ground oriented.

orange machine
10-29-2008, 12:27 AM
Two not real good teams slugging it out. "YEAH"

Dieselsmoke
10-29-2008, 01:44 PM
What did you thing about North Lamars offense in that 2nd quarter against Bonham?

Dieselsmoke
10-29-2008, 01:55 PM
After watching VA film they rely on their QB to do it all. They have nobody that is a threat at RB. VA runs mostly out of the shotgun and let the QB rollout looking for the run, when he scrabbles the receivers break off their routes and go deep. If the QB finds a lane he tucks and runs, if not he chunks it deep to his receivers. The QB shows pretty good accuracy on the short routes.
NL has always had the QB to throw the ball, but with their big O-line (average around 270) they try to control the clock with the running game. If NL brings a little of both, passing and running I think the Panther (NL) defense can keep the big plays down for VA. I agree with catgut they have given up big returns on kickoffs and punts. NL has a very good offense that can score points and work the clock. Does VA have a defense that can stop the run and pass?

Dieselsmoke
10-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
Two not real good teams slugging it out. "YEAH"
real classy!

catgut
10-29-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm sure that when someone looks at district 10 3A as a whole they always think it's a really weak district. Van Alystene has the best record out of that mess. However, I don't think they've played the quality of teams that Paris and North Lamar have this year. For that reason I think Paris and North Lamar are likely to be underrated when it comes playoff time. I'm not saying either one of the teams will win, but it won't be the pushover that you'd expect by looking at the records.
As for Van Alystene I think they'll go from tied for first to third place in the next two weeks. I've seen nothing on them except notice their scores and competition every week. I have seen the two Paris schools a few times each this year and have noticed them improving every week. Just my personal beliefs but I think North Lamar will be too big for them to handle. I think Paris will have too much speed for them. I could be wrong on either or both accounts.

orange machine
10-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Dieselsmoke
real classy!

Not meant to be mean just being honest. 10-3A is a weak district and there is no real deep threat team coming out of that district. You put both Paris team and VA in most any other district in the state and they are playing basketball in 2 weeks.

Dieselsmoke
10-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Not meant to be mean just being honest. 10-3A is a weak district and there is no real deep threat team coming out of that district. You put both Paris team and VA in most any other district in the state and they are playing basketball in 2 weeks.
You seem to have some love interest for 16-3A, as well as some of the other districts in East Texas. North Lamar had Pleasant Grove down with 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter, a fumble by our running back that doesn't fumble very often gave them the win. PG is ranked a lot higher than Celina, if North Lamar can play with a team that is ranked higher than Celina in your world of rankings that means North Lamar would give Celina everything they would want and more. Tell me how you can call other districts weak when you have Gainesville, Whitesboro, Argyle in your district??? Celina struggles to make the playoffs in your weak district! Ya know you get on every thread involving North Lamar and Paris and spout off about how weak the district is and give no credit to either team. I'm sure you will come back with your seven titles and all the rest of your babble, but Celina isn't playing North Lamar so you have NO IDEA if they can whoop us or not. I do know that North Lamar and Paris have athletes on their teams that could start for Celina. Grow up and give the Paris athletes a little respect. I have followed Celina for years and appreciate their program and what they have accomplished, is it so hard for you to give other teams ANY props?

8HR
10-29-2008, 10:52 PM

I have to agree. I will not be shocked if they go 0-3 in the first round of the playoffs. I think Paris has a chance to get by Argyle but I do not think NL will beat Prosper and I do not think VA will get by Celina. At the same time, Orange Machine, I don't think your district is a powerhouse either.

Dieselsmoke, until Paris, NL, or VA proves otherwise (and almost beating a team doesn't qualify) this district is below average. Like Orange Machine said, there is no real deep threat team coming out of this district.

orange machine
10-30-2008, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by 8HR
I have to agree. I will not be shocked if they go 0-3 in the first round of the playoffs. I think Paris has a chance to get by Argyle but I do not think NL will beat Prosper and I do not think VA will get by Celina. At the same time, Orange Machine, I don't think your district is a powerhouse either.

Dieselsmoke, until Paris, NL, or VA proves otherwise (and almost beating a team doesn't qualify) this district is below average. Like Orange Machine said, there is no real deep threat team coming out of this district.

I realize that 9-3a is not a powerhouse and never said it was. Im just stating that 10-3a is honestly probably one of the weakest district in the state.

orange machine
10-30-2008, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Dieselsmoke
You seem to have some love interest for 16-3A, as well as some of the other districts in East Texas. North Lamar had Pleasant Grove down with 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter, a fumble by our running back that doesn't fumble very often gave them the win. PG is ranked a lot higher than Celina, if North Lamar can play with a team that is ranked higher than Celina in your world of rankings that means North Lamar would give Celina everything they would want and more. Tell me how you can call other districts weak when you have Gainesville, Whitesboro, Argyle in your district??? Celina struggles to make the playoffs in your weak district! Ya know you get on every thread involving North Lamar and Paris and spout off about how weak the district is and give no credit to either team. I'm sure you will come back with your seven titles and all the rest of your babble, but Celina isn't playing North Lamar so you have NO IDEA if they can whoop us or not. I do know that North Lamar and Paris have athletes on their teams that could start for Celina. Grow up and give the Paris athletes a little respect. I have followed Celina for years and appreciate their program and what they have accomplished, is it so hard for you to give other teams ANY props?

I have no idea why you think im picking on the Paris teams because im not. I am just thinking of different matchups to come in a few weeks and realize that 10-3a probably wont do much. I hope the best for all those programs, i feel sorry for Bonham and Anna because they are just bad. Im glad to see VA doing well, but the fact is the district is a light weight, compared to most.

charlesrixey
10-30-2008, 06:44 AM
I have no idea why you think im picking on the Paris teams because im not. I am just thinking of different matchups to come in a few weeks and realize that 10-3a probably wont do much. I hope the best for all those programs, i feel sorry for Bonham and Anna because they are just bad. Im glad to see VA doing well, but the fact is the district is a light weight, compared to most.

13-3A is much worse

Dieselsmoke
10-30-2008, 07:25 AM
I realize that 9-3a is not a powerhouse and never said it was. Im just stating that 10-3a is honestly probably one of the weakest district in the state.
Just might want to do a little research before you run your head.
District 1 best record 4-4
Dist 4- 4-4
Dist 11 & 12 not a lot there
Dist 13- 4-4
Dist 20 5-3
Dist 26 5-2
Dist 29 5-3
Dist 31 ain't so hot either so to say 10-3A is the weakest in the state is not fair. Besides someone with a 5-3 record shouldn't be throwing rocks anyway.

Dieselsmoke
10-30-2008, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by 8HR

That may very well happen, 10-3A does have some teams that are not doing well this season but that doesn't mean that all the teams in the district are judged by how Anna performs. Paris and North Lamar played pretty tough pre-district schedules and lost some close games that doesn't make them an Anna. No almost doesn't qualify, my point is they (Pleasant Grove) are a top ranked team in the state and we played them down to the wire, if we played them again the outcome could very possible go our way, to assume our playoff outcome because of what the bottom of our district does is ignorant at best.

charlesrixey
10-30-2008, 08:36 AM
i've had both paris teams no lower than seventh in Region II through out the year (although i haven't updated the rankings yet to have paris ahead of PNL)

both teams should beat VA

the top half of 10-3A is just fine

however, they do have a tough draw in the playoffs

Argyle is the most likely opponent to be beaten from 9-3A

if they were aligned a little different, both paris teams would probably be playing a few more weeks in the playoffs

as a bobcat fan, it is probably better for us to beat argyle than have to play one of ya'll in the first round

Dieselsmoke
10-30-2008, 11:46 AM
I can agree with that. Paris did beat NL, but I am not convinced they are the better team. Prosper and NL are very similar teams with big front lines and solid running attacks. I have not seen Prosper other than on their website but they may have a better defense than the Panthers. NL's QB just set the all time school record with most yards in a game and most TD's in a game breaking Billie Don Malone (all time TD/yardage QB at Abilene Christian College) so they can throw it too. Look forward to the game.

catgut
10-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
i've had both paris teams no lower than seventh in Region II through out the year (although i haven't updated the rankings yet to have paris ahead of PNL)

both teams should beat VA

the top half of 10-3A is just fine

however, they do have a tough draw in the playoffs

Argyle is the most likely opponent to be beaten from 9-3A

if they were aligned a little different, both paris teams would probably be playing a few more weeks in the playoffs

as a bobcat fan, it is probably better for us to beat argyle than have to play one of ya'll in the first round

Well you definitely won't get NL because they will be the Div I team out of this district.

Is Argyle primarily a passing team? I've heard they have a great reciever.

CelinaCatFan
10-30-2008, 05:50 PM
As someone who is very familiar with 9-3A and someone that has scouted 10-3A (PNL last week). I would certainly not dismiss PNL, Paris, or VA. Any of these 3 teams could give 9-3A a test in the playoffs (for different reasons).

As mentioned, PNL is big and tough to handle up front. They are physical and will run over you. They also can go to the Spread if needed (as I saw in the 2nd Quarter last week when they scored 4 quick TDs in the air).

Paris is big and fast. They already beat PNL in a close one a couple of weeks ago.

I'm not saying that 10-3A will beat 9-3A. Since I have watched both districts this year, I would not overlook 10-3A.

Dieselsmoke
10-31-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by CelinaCatFan
As someone who is very familiar with 9-3A and someone that has scouted 10-3A (PNL last week). I would certainly not dismiss PNL, Paris, or VA. Any of these 3 teams could give 9-3A a test in the playoffs (for different reasons).

As mentioned, PNL is big and tough to handle up front. They are physical and will run over you. They also can go to the Spread if needed (as I saw in the 2nd Quarter last week when they scored 4 quick TDs in the air).

Paris is big and fast. They already beat PNL in a close one a couple of weeks ago.

I'm not saying that 10-3A will beat 9-3A. Since I have watched both districts this year, I would not overlook 10-3A.

Did you read this Orange Machine, from the mouth of one of your own.

catgut
10-31-2008, 10:06 PM
Evidently I under estimated Van Alystene. North Lamar must have too. Final Van Alystene 28 North Lamar 26

LH Panther Mom
10-31-2008, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by catgut
Evidently I under estimated Van Alystene. North Lamar must have too. Final Van Alystene 28 North Lamar 26
Close game!

catgut
11-01-2008, 08:11 AM
I understand it came down to a 2 point conversion stopped just short of the goal line with 21 seconds left. It sets up showdown next week between Van Alystene and Paris, both 4-0 in district.

LH Panther Mom
11-01-2008, 08:22 AM
Best of luck next week, catgut! :)

catgut
11-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Thanks. It's been many years since we've played a game for the district championship. Hope we're up to the task.

Dieselsmoke
11-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by catgut

VA has a QB that reminds me of Billie Don Malone, he is big, throws the ball well and is tough to bring down. NL could not stop him all night. Paris will have their work cut out. Congrats to VA, next Fridays game will be a good one I may have to sneak over and try to catch part of it. Good luck to the VA Panthers and Paris Wildcats next week an into the playoffs.

catgut
11-01-2008, 10:30 AM
We've got some key injuries that will hurt us but hope we can overcome them.