PDA

View Full Version : Possible 3-way tie for 2nd in 8-3A

ziggy29
10-26-2008, 05:34 PM
What if Llano beats Wimberley and then loses to LH -- and we have a three way tie for second at 4-2 in district (Llano, Wimberley and Burnet), in a scenario where A beats B, B beats C and C beats A? Do the relative margins of victory in the games involving those three teams decide which two advance? Or is there some other criteria like overall point differential or points scored/surrendered?

Anyone know? Bueller?

Super_R
10-26-2008, 05:37 PM
When their is a tie and the head to head checks and balances everyone out they go to a Margin of Victory total.

I think that is how it is decided.

Emerson1
10-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Super_R
When their is a tie and the head to head checks and balances everyone out they go to a Margin of Victory total.

I think that is how it is decided.
It all depends on the district. Margin of victory up to a certain points total is the most common though

Super_R
10-26-2008, 05:58 PM
If the tie breaker is decided on the win differential....

Burnet beat Llano by 23.
Wimberley beat Burnet by 6.

So...Llano would have to beat Wimberley by 6.

It's possible.

LH Panther Mom
10-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Would we use 23 as the differential or would it maybe be 14 max?

Super_R
10-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Would we use 23 as the differential or would it maybe be 14 max?

14 would seem like low ceiling.

LH Panther Mom
10-26-2008, 06:04 PM
14 would seem like low ceiling.
You know "people". You should ask. :D

Super_R
10-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
You know "people". You should ask. :D

Let me see what I can dig up.
:nerd:

ziggy29
10-26-2008, 06:12 PM
If the tie breaker is decided on the win differential....

Burnet beat Llano by 23.
Wimberley beat Burnet by 6.

So...Llano would have to beat Wimberley by more than 23.

Here's what I was thinking could happen, though I don't know for sure. I don't think they need to win by 23 -- only 15. Here's why. Keep in mind that all you need is to not be *last* in the tie breaker; you don't have to "win" it to make the playoffs in this scenario.

Burnet beat Llano by 23 and lost to Wimberley by 6. Their overall differential would be +17 among games involving teams that are tied.

Right now Wimberley is at +6 and Llano is at -23. That would seem to mean Llano would have to win by at least 15 points. If so, with a 15-point win Llano's differential improves to -8 overall and Wimberley's falls to -9.

I don't know if this is how it works specifically, but it would seem to make sense.

Super_R
10-26-2008, 06:18 PM
I don't think a "lose by less" factor is used. I'll try to find specifics.

ziggy29
10-26-2008, 06:21 PM
I don't think a "lose by less" factor is used. I'll try to find specifics.
If not, Llano would only have to beat Wimberley by 7, keeping in mind that two of the three teams would make the playoffs and only the one with the lowest margin of victory would be out.

I actually hope you're right about this! I doubt Llano could win by 23, but if they play well they could win by 7 or a little more.

Centextrash
10-26-2008, 06:36 PM
I thought most districts use 17 as a point ceiling.

SO:

Burnet would be + 17 over Llano
Wimberley would be + 6 over Burnet

Burnet + 11
Llano -17
Wimberley + 6

Llano would have to beat Wimberley by 12 or more to get in, if all three are tied at 4-2.

If this is right, then there is almost zero chance for Burnet to be out of the playoffs. They should beat Ingram(who I heard only had 13 kids on the sidelines vs. Fredricksburg) and Canyon Lake.

ziggy29
10-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Centextrash
If this is right, then there is almost zero chance for Burnet to be out of the playoffs. They should beat Ingram(who I heard only had 13 kids on the sidelines vs. Fredricksburg) and Canyon Lake. [/B]
Actually, there's another way Burnet could be out -- if Llano wins both of its remaining games. That would leave Burnet tied with Wimberley for third place at 4-2 with the Texans winning head-to-head.

Not likely given that the Jackets play Wimberley and LH, but perhaps a little more likely than Burnet losing one of the next two.

WOS87
10-26-2008, 08:16 PM
After trying dig up these rules over the years in making my projections I've seen point ceilings as low as 11 points and as high as 18. I can almost guarantee you that 23 point win will not count as +23