PDA

View Full Version : Article in the PanhandleSports.com site...

SintonFan
07-30-2002, 12:21 PM
Sunray, Stratford gain spots in statewide poll

HOUSTON - Sunray and Stratford were the only Panhandle-area teams to make the preseason football polls voted on by the media covering the Texas High School Coaches Association all-star game this week.

Sunray, a Class 2A playoff team last year, was ranked No. 6 in 1A. Stratford, a 1A state semifinalist last year, was ranked No. 7 in 1A.

Top rankings went to Austin Westlake in 5A, Ennis in 4A, Sinton in 3A, Alto in 2A and Burkeville in 1A. Ennis and Burkeville are defending champions this year, while Westlake and Sinton each lost in state championship games.

The closest vote came in 3A, where Sinton edged defending state champion Everman 162-161 in total points for the top spot. Sinton received more votes than Everman, even though the Bulldogs got 10 first-place votes to only three for Sinton.

Everman beat Sinton 25-14 in last year's 3A Division I title game.

In 4A, Ennis and No. 2 Denton Ryan won state titles last year.
from the PanhandleSports.com website Monday, July 29, 2002.

(It doesn't seem right that Everman wins state and Sinton ends up ranked no.1. I know Matt's probably happy about this.)

[This message has been edited by SintonFan (edited July 30, 2002).]

sinton66
07-30-2002, 01:55 PM
I'd bet Matthew doesn't really care if Everman is ranked #2 or #20. HE knows how good they are, and so do most of us from Sinton. Personally, I'd rather we were'nt picked #1, that's a tall order to live up to.
Plus, everybody's already gonna be gunning for us because of last year. Same thing with Everman.

Matthew328
07-30-2002, 03:20 PM
Naa doesn't bother me that Sinton is ranked number one...they are a heck of a team...I would be willing to bet in another poll Jasper will be ranked number one...

SintonFan
07-30-2002, 04:38 PM
Matthew328, I thought you might be happy because of the ole preseason no. 1 bug. I myself am not too happy about it, really. It's only good for talk, not for the field.

[This message has been edited by SintonFan (edited July 30, 2002).]

J817ason
07-30-2002, 06:11 PM
any poll should have Everman at least at number one or two...it really doesn't matter much though...Everman will be there in the end....

sinton66
07-30-2002, 06:27 PM
SintonFan, was that article about sportswriter's poll or what poll were they quoting?

Matthew328
07-30-2002, 07:21 PM
It is the media poll at the THSCA school in Houston....
www.panhandlesports.com (http://www.panhandlesports.com)